Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

MAD MEN, 5/12/13, "Man with a Plan"

The firm is turned upside down by the new merger as the people from CDC move in. Peggy feels especially awkward at the change, while the creatives at SCDP resist embracing Ted Chaough.

Roger has to fire someone on the staff.

Pete is blindsided by an unexpected guest.

by Anonymousreply 20005/23/2013

I hope they fire Harry in the wake of the merger. I've really grown to dislike him.

by Anonymousreply 105/12/2013

Will Harry Hamlin's silver dollar nipples be on display?

by Anonymousreply 205/12/2013

I think by this point those silver dollar nipples are going to be pretty saggy.

by Anonymousreply 305/12/2013

Directed by John Slattery. uh oh!

by Anonymousreply 405/12/2013

Is Joan dying?

by Anonymousreply 505/12/2013

Maybe it's an ovarian cyst.

by Anonymousreply 605/12/2013

More hugging and kissing and torrid embracing!

by Anonymousreply 705/12/2013

I forgot...what stage of hell from Dante's Inferno is this episode supposed to be a metaphor for?

by Anonymousreply 805/12/2013

This merger isn't going to work.

Don's a creep.

by Anonymousreply 905/12/2013

I love Pete's brother.

by Anonymousreply 1005/12/2013

The actor who plays Ted Chough is awful and is bringing down this merger storyline. Lethargic episode.

by Anonymousreply 1105/12/2013

Peggy fucking hates this---Don is eighty-sixing everyone by bringing them down to his shit-filled level.

by Anonymousreply 1205/12/2013

Linda Cardellini has anachronistic arms.

by Anonymousreply 1305/12/2013

So is Joan gonna fuck Don's secret, illegitimate son?

by Anonymousreply 1405/12/2013

Go Peggy!

by Anonymousreply 1505/12/2013

I can already recap this whole thread:

Bitch bitch. Moan moan. Its ovah. Joan is a hog. Joan is a bitch. Teefs is so much worse than Betty. Nothing happens ever. Weiner is full of himself.

End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 1605/12/2013

I am so sick of this Don storyline with the cheating wife. It's fucking DULL!

by Anonymousreply 1705/12/2013

It's now over r17.

by Anonymousreply 1805/12/2013

So did Joan save Bob Benson's job or not?

by Anonymousreply 1905/12/2013

yep

by Anonymousreply 2005/12/2013

The whole Don trying to be In Charge With Women and Men thing is getting weak. The whole Don thing altogether is getting weak. And Pete is just too much of an asshole to care about anymore. If it weren't for Peggy, who got almost no time in this episode, and Joan, who got a cyst, there wouldn't be much left.

by Anonymousreply 2105/12/2013

Pete was so worried about his job, but I thought Pete was a partner? Can they just fire a partner?

by Anonymousreply 2205/12/2013

They can fire a partner in case of gross dereliction of duty. Don fired Lane Pryce, and he was a named partner.

by Anonymousreply 2305/12/2013

No but if he becomes irrelevant he loses influence in the company and can be quietly forced out.

Interesting episode. I found the `50 Shades of Don`theme to be tiresome but was glad to see Sylvia end it (and Don beg her `please?').

by Anonymousreply 2405/12/2013

[quote]Don fired Lane Pryce, and he was a named partner.

No he didn't. He forced Lane to resign (not the same thing). The other option was to expose his fraud.

by Anonymousreply 2505/12/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 2605/13/2013

What was the paperback book Linda was reading in the hotel room?

by Anonymousreply 2705/13/2013

Sorry, I meant what book is Sylvia (not Linda) reading?

by Anonymousreply 2805/13/2013

I miss Betty. She's getting very little screen time this season. I'm missing Sally as well -- she's also being ignored.

by Anonymousreply 2905/13/2013

Anyone think Megan might have some secrets she's hiding from Don? If so, what are they?

by Anonymousreply 3005/13/2013

When Don got back to the aprtment and was listening to Megan natter, I expected the camera to just close in on her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 3105/13/2013

Was Don always such a bossy bottom with his lovers in past seasons or is his S&M side something new that started with telling Megan how to clean things up after his party last season?

by Anonymousreply 3205/13/2013

Sylvia was reading The Last Picture Show, I think.

by Anonymousreply 3305/13/2013

So glad Sylvia called it quits, I, like others here, was bored with that storyline. The office politics and maneuverings were much more fun and interesting -- Roger firing Burt Peterson again, Don and Ted Chaough's games of one-upmanship, the budding romance (?) between Bob Benson and Joan (watch out, Joanie, he's only looking out for #1!). Loved the exchange between Joanie and Peggy. They've come along way in their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 3405/13/2013

Pete's mother is one of my favorite supporting characters (she's not been seen since season 2). I'm glad she's as fearsome and firebreathing as ever, despite the senility.

by Anonymousreply 3505/13/2013

Either the worse, or second worst episode of "Mad Men." Don has been out of control this entire season; it gets worse and worse every week. Peggy had the gut to tell him directly, and then just walk out of his office.

by Anonymousreply 3605/13/2013

r35, there was a scene with Pete's mother from either season 1 or 2 that I thought was hilarious. Pete came to his parents' house and when the father and him start to get into it, there was something about the way she tilted her down, silently excused herself by getting up from the couch, and walked away that absolutely cracked me up.

That moment was only a few seconds and most people will probably not remember it but for some reason it just made me laugh so much. I'll never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 3705/13/2013

[quote]Was Don always such a bossy bottom with his lovers in past seasons or is his S&M side something new that started with telling Megan how to clean things up after his party last season?

Don has been shown to be into S&M before, usually when he's at a low point emotionally. He tied up Bobbi Barrett once in a hotel bed during his marriage to Betty, and also once hired a dominatrix for a sex session when he was living alone in Greenwich Village.

by Anonymousreply 3805/13/2013

What was the book Don took from Sylvia and read in the plane?

by Anonymousreply 3905/13/2013

For all the crap Joan gets on DL, let it be known that what she did for the guy who got her to the hospital, saving his job and all, was very nice.

by Anonymousreply 4005/13/2013

According to Alan Sepinwall, Sylvia's novel was THE LAST PICTURE SHOW. Don's domination treatment of her was really creepy from the get-go, and he really overestimated her patience to put up with his behavior. He wanted her to act as if he were the only thing in the world for her, and of course he could not sustain that--she has another life. Taking her novel (I like how they kept up the idea she's a reader from the season opener) was cruel--she had nothing else to do in the hotel room other than read it.

I assume from Sylvia's fight with her husband (who had lost his job last episode) at the beginning of this episode that he is interviewing for work in Minnesota--probably at the Mayo Clinic. So they'll probably leave soon for a job there (leaving that plot strand snipped off).

I assume Don will now return to picking up random women again, which is what he does when he didn't love Betty but wasn't tied down to a particular mistress. I feel a bit sorry for Megan--though everyone's comments about how dislikable Jessica Paré is these last few weeks are being borne out by the show, since we're now seeing her through Don's eyes and he currently sees her as unattractive as he possibly can.

by Anonymousreply 4105/13/2013

Even in the 60s, hotels had televison.

by Anonymousreply 4205/13/2013

Even in the 60s, not everyone liked television.

by Anonymousreply 4305/13/2013

Even in the 60s, you could order a newspaper with room service.

by Anonymousreply 4405/13/2013

She could of course have left the hotel room at any time to get another book if she really wanted one. The point was that he was taking the domination scenario much too seriously and selfishly, and not being attentive to what she wanted or needed. Once she realized that, it was over.

by Anonymousreply 4505/13/2013

And now, a recap of this weeks Dada-esque Mad Men poem. I call it:

"Ken, Calm Down"

What's going on?

You either get used to it, or stop thinking about it.

Ken, calm down.

You need a nap too.

I think that is in poor taste.

You did not make that clear.

You don't know what he's up against.

I don't know.

Spectacular!

It's worse.

Where are you?

We cannot go on like this.

by Anonymousreply 4605/13/2013

I fell asleep and missed the end. What was Joan's illness?

by Anonymousreply 4705/13/2013

cyst on he ovaries R47

by Anonymousreply 4805/13/2013

I like Ted. I think he's more professional and forward thinking than mired in the 50s Don. Is Ted a recovering alcoholic?

I am really hoping that affair with Sylvia is over. Enough of them being the only occupants of the building, or the elevator always stopping on their floor and enough of Cardellini's prematurely wrinkled face. (Are those laugh lines or did she blow too many men on her way to the top?) It was an uninteresting affair.

And why wasn't Dawn at her desk the entire episode? Was she hanging with Peggy's secretary Phyllis?

by Anonymousreply 5005/13/2013

And just earlier in the day yesterday, I watched this 24-year-old episode of "China Beach," which, judging from the events in previous episodes, took place around the same time as last night's "Mad Men" and featured the same song, only sung live by Megan Mullally:

by Anonymousreply 5105/13/2013

I wonder if they will buy another floor for the office--Joan kept on saying "this is temporary" or if they will fire more of the combined staff? Peggy got Harry's old office with the column in the middle of the little room.

by Anonymousreply 5305/13/2013

They're probably going to fire people.

You can see Ted's drinking problem coming from a mile away.

I love the show, but the writing this season is a hack job.

by Anonymousreply 5405/13/2013

At least when the network shows had an unpopular story, they could end it after the first half of the season if the audiences didn't take to it(Nazis at Falcon Crest! McMurphy and a French doctor! The new Amanda Carrington!) With these shorter seasons for cable, we are stuck with a story that's in the can and may be the guiding force for the season.

by Anonymousreply 5505/13/2013

Sylvia was Don's most boring affair since Sally's teacher.

by Anonymousreply 5605/13/2013

I fast forwarded through the Don SM scenes. That was the first time I have ever done that on Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 5705/13/2013

It feels like the show is sick with the flu or suffering from a severe hangover. Yuk. Having something happy and good happen for once...

by Anonymousreply 5805/13/2013

I did too r57

by Anonymousreply 5905/13/2013

They've made Linda Cardenelli look so ugly. Awful hairstyle & SnowWhiteBlack hair is way too harsh for her.

by Anonymousreply 6005/13/2013

Is there a more worthless role than the one Harry Hamlin's playing?

Talk about being hard up for a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 6105/13/2013

Lisa Rinna's lips don't pay for themselves, R61.

by Anonymousreply 6205/13/2013

I would assume Harry Hamlin's part will get bigger over the next season and a half--otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to do the show. It's like when Jessica Paré first appeared--given her substantial previous acting resume, you knew that she wasn't just going to be playing a secretary but that the part would eventually become much bigger.

by Anonymousreply 6305/13/2013

Um, Harry Hamlin hasn't been a big star since LA Law.

by Anonymousreply 6405/13/2013

loved the metal ice cube tray!

by Anonymousreply 6505/13/2013

I'm bored with Don Draper.

by Anonymousreply 6605/13/2013

Dick Whitman is a nice guy, but Don Draper is an arrogant, nasty asshole. The trouble is that now he's off of Megan and Anna is dead, there's no one for Don to be Dick Whitman with anymore, so it's hard to care about him. He was so obnoxious again to Peggy last night (the only person besides Megan who still cares about him, and even she ran screaming from him eventually) I feel like I just didn't care what happens to him anymore.

I really hope Weiner does something with the character in the next few episodes to redeem him. I'll keep watching for the sets and clothes and for the minor characters I like, but both Don and Pete have become pretty close to irredeemable this season.

by Anonymousreply 6705/13/2013

The show is losing it's story arc and just becoming random events in peoples lives.

by Anonymousreply 6805/13/2013

loved the small coverage of the RFK assassination at the end... just underscoring how everything is turning to shit.

by Anonymousreply 6905/13/2013

Where's the ever present Mad Men troll who just lives to tell those of us who think the show sucks that we should watch something more close to our speed, like "Dynasty" or whatever.

"Dynasty" is looking mighty good to me right now!

by Anonymousreply 7005/13/2013

Harry Hamnips.

by Anonymousreply 7105/13/2013

If indeed that is all we see about Robert Kenedy's assassination then there is hope for the show. Although it would not reflect the feeling at the time and for the next several decade, MLK's death was more significant for the future of this country.

by Anonymousreply 7205/13/2013

Thanks for the determinist view of history, r72: but not all of us agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 7305/13/2013

What with Don's behavior last night and Betty's comment to Henry in the season opener about fucking that underage girl, are we to believe that Don and Betty had a twisted sex life?

by Anonymousreply 7405/13/2013

[quote]What was the book Don took from Sylvia and read in the plane?

Fifty Shades of Gray, of course.

by Anonymousreply 7505/13/2013

R69, I loved how the close-out song, Friends & Lovers' "Reach Out of the Darkness," was laid atop the news footage of RFK's assassination, in such a darkly ironic foreboding of the shit to come. "I think it's so groovy now, that people are finally getting together. I think it's wonderful how, that people are finally getting together..." This merger, and quite likely, Don's marriage, will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 7605/13/2013

The book was the "last picture show"..

And R75, lol! I felt like the writers WERE inspired by 50 shades of grey w/those kinky Don and his mistress scenes...

by Anonymousreply 7705/13/2013

Linda Cardelini is my age and she looks way older on this show. Her face is deeply lined and that 60's hairdo did her no favors. Other sites raved about her but I think she was his worst mistress.

by Anonymousreply 7805/14/2013

Cardellini was definitely the worst mistress. Boring and too much coincidental bumping into one another on the elevators with a building that apparently has no other residents.

by Anonymousreply 7905/14/2013

I love the obvious juxtaposition of Ted and Don, regarding the way they treat women. When Ted gave his chair to the secretary Peggy shot Don a look as if to say, "Why can't YOU be like that?"

by Anonymousreply 8005/14/2013

The people at Ted's old agency are nicer, like Ted. The staff under Don try to hard to be just like him, and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 8105/14/2013

Looks like Bob will be the smartest account man there. He'll likely be able to run right over Pete.

by Anonymousreply 8205/14/2013

Can someone explain why Roger took such apparent glee in firing the bald account guy with the glasses (for the second time)? Did this fellow burn Roger early on or is it that Roger is just a prick?

Also, during Harry's brief scene, he asked the secretary "Trudy?" and she shook her head. Does that mean Trudy has been fired in the wake of the merger?

by Anonymousreply 8305/14/2013

R83 He was refering to Pete's wife.

by Anonymousreply 8405/14/2013

Ted Chaugh is the bizarro Don Draper.

Jim Cutler is the bizarro Roger Sterling.

by Anonymousreply 8505/14/2013

R23 - Don did not fire Lane. He told Lane to resign quietly or else he would bring up the embezzlement to the other partners.

by Anonymousreply 8605/14/2013

Christina Hendricks on playing Joan.

by Anonymousreply 8705/14/2013

If Ted and Jim are the bizarro Don and Roger, that means that they'll be sober, steady, faithful, hard working ad execs.

Good traits in real life, terrible for a TV show. I hope Harry Hamlin has invested well, since it's not likely he'll be on this show much longer.

by Anonymousreply 8805/14/2013

Can someone give me a quick refresher on Burt Peterson’s first firing? What with the long hiaiti between seasons, I barely remembered him or how he got dismissed the first time around, or why Roger is so cruel to him.

by Anonymousreply 8905/14/2013

Burt Peterson got fired the first time when the British company bought the agency and wanted to cut costs.

This recent firing made a much bigger deal of the bad blood between Burt and Roger. So far, the audience needs to fill in the blanks on the details.

Roger was cruel but it was kind of funny for him to fire him twice.

by Anonymousreply 9005/14/2013

When Burt got fired the first time, he threw a huge temper tantrum.

by Anonymousreply 9105/14/2013

"The show is losing it's story arc and just becoming random events in peoples lives."

Oh, Christ Jesus, that's been the entire series, and every other series on television! Crap-tastic!

by Anonymousreply 9205/14/2013

Even though Roger and Burt Peterson worked for the same agency for years, they were still basically rivals all that time, so with the competition comes a large amount of bad blood.

by Anonymousreply 9305/14/2013

I can't believe it's Tuesday and we're not even at 100 posts on a Mad Men thread. I know we were in primetime for a while, but still.

I think most people were bored by Don and Silvia's affair. Even the critics have been pretty harsh. I still love the scenes in the office, though. And I'd like more Betty, not because I'm a huge fan, but the dynamic between Don-Betty-Sally is always good for a few laughs.

by Anonymousreply 9405/14/2013

We weren't in primetime for "a while" - more like three days.

by Anonymousreply 9505/14/2013

Burt was hired (not shown) after Duck had his freak out at the end of season 2. He was only shown in one episode of season 3 - just so he could be fired.

by Anonymousreply 9605/14/2013

Sally appears in next weeks previews, but no Betty again. I really miss Betty and JJ's earnest attempt to act. There's something very interesting about her to watch. Same with Hendricks. Moss bores the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 9705/14/2013

I thing we're going to get a J.Pierrepont Finch/Miss Jones thing between Joan and Bob. Maybe he's the Man with a Plan.

by Anonymousreply 9805/14/2013

Fwiw pt has been this entire week

by Anonymousreply 9905/14/2013

Glad to see Sally back, but hope she doesn't bring creepy Glenn back with her.

by Anonymousreply 10005/14/2013

Agree with everyone that the Don/Sylvia scenes really dragged.

Enjoyed Pete and how "over him" his secretary is, treating him like a tantrumming little boy.

by Anonymousreply 10105/14/2013

The Don/Sylvia affair showing women's increasing casualness towards sex probably looked good on paper.

Hiring a well known actress for the part, maybe they didn't test the 2 actors much, but the chemistry just did not work.

by Anonymousreply 10205/14/2013

Isn't it odd that Joan would tell Bob that she had a cyst on her ovary? It makes sense in 2013, or even 1993, but seems too forward even for Joan in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 10305/15/2013

Actually, R96, Burt Peterson was a long time employee of Sterling Cooper by the time he was fired for the first time. We haven’t seen much of him, but Don mentioned him to Joan as the one who cautioned him of her when he first came to SC. He and Freddy were debating whether Joan was a lesbian (The Christmas Waltz). He was promoted to head accounts after Duck was dismissed and was doing poorly, but wasn't fired for a long time since his wife had cancer. When he finely was, he had quite a tantrum which displayed what a prick he must have been. Most of this stuff, except the act of firing and the tantrum wasn't featured on air, only alluded to. Anyway, he was the kind of sweating, non elegant klutz pampered boy Roger was bound to feel superior to and, let’s face it, bully.

by Anonymousreply 10405/15/2013

She wasn't really a dominatrix, R38, just his friendly neighborhood hooker who complied to his wishes. He was a regular of hers and in retrospect she was probably the best female companion he ever had. She was everything he ever looked for: a good looking brunette, smart, seemed to have a great sense of humor right up his ally, and she was a prostitute , which is what Don is really looking for, since that’s the prototype of a woman imprinted in his mind since childhood. Only he’s not aware of it, so his challenge is to conquer and eventually turn them into one. Unless he truly respects the person (Anna, Peggy, Joan). That’s why the prospect of Joan actually becoming one was so painful to him.

by Anonymousreply 10505/15/2013

I don't think Don really respects Peggy.

by Anonymousreply 10605/15/2013

O yes, R106, he does. He even went out of his way and publicly admitted he was wrong and made an effort to convince her he’s a changed man (!) last episode, something he never does, when he said this time, as opposed to the time he recruited her to SCDP, he’s asking her to go along with the merger. That doesn't mean he’s not going to treat her like shit, but that’s part of his charm.

p.s It seems Peggy has this effect on men. When Abe met her for the first time after the disastrous encounter they had when he tried to politically convert her, he too said he was learning how to accommodate to her rather than try and change her. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 10705/15/2013

I actually liked the episode. I loved Don's sort of pathetic attempt to be Dom. That's sort of what's he becoming. Obsolete. As someone upthread said, he has a few bags of tricks (be a jerk to woman, get men drunk), and they just don't work as well. Even he knows it. And his saying "please" was an amazing moment.

I also agree with someone upthread that his complete detachment from Dick Whitman is startling. We do need to see him redeemed, if only for a little while.

I hated the first couple of episodes, but I feel the show is back on track. Is it the strongest season? No. But still better than 98% of the shit on TV.

by Anonymousreply 10805/15/2013

The show is now much more interesting when it's not about Don.

by Anonymousreply 10905/15/2013

"I have my own plane." Definitely the foreshadowing of an eventual plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 11005/15/2013

Maybe Ted will fly his plane off Don's balcony.

by Anonymousreply 11105/15/2013

r111 cont'd.

... hitting and killing Corporate Spy Megan Draper who was entering the building. Later it is discovered that Burt Peterson sabotaged the Cessna. When he finds out that Don survives the crash and will be able to trace the sabotage, he commits suicide by walking into an open elevator shaft.

by Anonymousreply 11205/15/2013

r103 Joan didn't tell Bob Benson she had an ovarian cyst. She told her mother after Bob left.

by Anonymousreply 11305/15/2013

r111, r112

And the plane hitting the ground killing Corporate Spy Megan will cause a shockwave that sends Don's secret son Bob Benson tumbling the staircase at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce Cutler Gleason and Chaugh. Don, at the bottom of the staircase, will try to help Bob, only to hear him utter his dying words, "You're my father."

by Anonymousreply 11405/15/2013

it seemed Don was playing at being controling so that she would break it off

by Anonymousreply 11505/15/2013

Don was being controlling with Sylvia since he is now so out of control at work and in his marriage.

They made a pact not to fall in love, but for once Don couldn't help himself and his marriage is now in more trouble.

by Anonymousreply 11605/15/2013

The New Yorker has a take on the Don Draper problem. Here's one excerpt:

"To recap: Don’s real name is Dick Whitman. His prostitute mother died in childbirth; his dad, her john, beat him. His fundamentalist stepmother called him a “whore’s child.” Then his father got kicked in the head by a horse, and the stepmother moved in with her sister, herself a prostitute, living in a brothel. The stepmother, heavily pregnant with Don’s half brother, prostituted herself to her brother-in-law, as the teen-age Don knelt outside her door. He watched them, through the keyhole, have sex. C’mon, now. This is no longer the backstory of a serial adulterer; it’s the backstory of a serial killer."

by Anonymousreply 11705/15/2013

I'm sorry unwavering Mad Men fans, but...

In two episodes.. TWO!! One of the agency's principals suggests to a competing firm they work together and suddenly, BOTH COMPANIES have MERGED?!?! Are you fucking KIDDING ME?!?

I still love this show but it's beginning to show a sad desperation and signs of fatigue. Good thing the 60s are ending because I can't see them making more than another season out of the silliness this show has become.

Suddenly, everyone's under one roof, Sterling Cooper Draper Price has merged with its primary competitor, they ALL move into the SCDP offices, never mind it's been mentioned in the past how already tight on space they were... NONE of the other partners had a say in this going down, apparently, because nobody saw any of it, nor has a new name been discussed unless it was so brief, most viewers missed it.

Even the most diehard fans seem to have become exhausted by Jon Hamm's non-stop screen time and increasingly unattractive, near naked body rolling around with one woman or another. When we see any of the interesting, passionately loved or loathed supporting characters, it's in seconds-long scenes with issues or hinted story lines dropped off a cliff, never to be returned to again.... it's okay though because, LOOK! It's Jon Hamm holding a drink, brooding off into space and/or time-warping into a scene from a trashy 2000s bodice ripper which we hope will score a few more viewers to make up for the throngs of those who've become DVR-only viewers or who've dropped the show all together.

Between Hamm and the beaver mouthed whiner he's married to, it's as if the program has become a boring, desperate spinoff of a great show long since cancelled.

What's happened?

by Anonymousreply 11805/15/2013

Despite his lame performance as a top, Don Draper is no stranger to S&M relationships. Besides the aforementioned BD scenes with Bobbie Barret and the dominatrix, who was the previous lover who got him very hot by slapping him and holding him back?

This all happened , of course, when he was in utmost control of his afairs at home and work, and needed to blow steam off by being completely dominated in bed.

by Anonymousreply 11905/15/2013

R118, the merger thing was being foreshadowed and hinted at a few episodes before it came to pass and there's usually a time perioed of about a month between episodes.

Also, they were tight on space last season which is why the built the floor above them and did the buildout. As for those tight quarters, note how many people they were making redundant in the latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 12005/15/2013

[quote] the merger thing was being foreshadowed and hinted at a few episodes before it came to pass

No, R120, that isn't even remotely true. You may see or project seeing things in episodes of this series you can try to relate to subsequent shows, but even if there were a little accuracy there, no "hints" or "foreshadowing" of anything like that would have been picked up by most viewers. I realize you're seriously into this show but, come on. That's a stretch, even for the more aggressive Mad Men fan.

by Anonymousreply 12105/15/2013

R121, Ted Chaough bitching and moaning three episodes in a row about how the smaller agencies get no respect or the best accounts is not hinting and foreshadowing? Everybody here picked up on it.

by Anonymousreply 12205/15/2013

[quote] I fast forwarded through the Don SM scenes. That was the first time I have ever done that on Mad Men.

I did to. The worm really had seemed to turn in terms of how the audience relates to Don's sexuality. Now it's just pathetic. Don's affairs have become the new hillbilly backstory. Completely uninteresting, dull, expected, brings the show to a grinding halt.

by Anonymousreply 12305/15/2013

"I would assume Harry Hamlin's part will get bigger over the next season and a half--otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to do the show."

HuffPo says Renna claims Hamlin had to audition not knowing what the role was or where it was going. But since it was Matt Weiner, he went for it. He originally read for the part of Megan's producer who wants to wife swap with Don and Megan. But Weiner had the other role in mind for Hamlin. Renna also said, "Just you wait," re: the role's future.

by Anonymousreply 12405/15/2013

[quote] ted Chaough bitching and moaning three episodes in a row about how the smaller agencies get no respect or the best accounts is not hinting and foreshadowing? Everybody here picked up on it.

No, hon, they didn't. And posting from different browsers and such agreeing with yourself isn't going to convince anyone here they have amnesia.

Just watch the show and stop taking it as though its Masterpiece Theater, requiring you to post hundred of replies here weekly on the breakdown and hidden meanings. Christ Mary, get some fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 12505/15/2013

Now you're just being ridiculous, R125.

Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 12605/15/2013

On the next exciting installment of Mad Men, Don's boring affair is over, Pete Campbell will throw a little fit about something, there'll be some boring post-merger tension between Ted and maybe Don or someone, there'll be no Betty. Is this shit really have a season and a half left? Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 12705/15/2013

I used to love Mad Men. Why is my head not in the game? Everyone was all 'ooo.. wait till it gets to 1968!' Well, we're here..and.. I almost feel like the years clocked by too fast on the show. We get to watch the characters react to and watch the big events of the day.. I guess it's realistic in that they didn't all jump into a VW bus or something. Also, what happened to Zosia Mamet?

I guess we're in the hump of the season so interesting things can still happen. No one even cared Betty dyed her hair.

by Anonymousreply 12805/15/2013

[quote]Even the most diehard fans seem to have become exhausted by Jon Hamm's non-stop screen time and increasingly unattractive, near naked body rolling around with one woman or another.

Not me! Jon Hamm is far from unattractive. Bring it ON!

by Anonymousreply 12905/15/2013

While the merger was certainly a surprise, Ted Chaough moaning about little agencies getting left out could be considered foreshadowing. However, of the various Mad Men related message boards I read, I don't recall anyone suggesting a merger was in the works from that one line. So, it was extremely subtle foreshadowing.

Perhaps posters were too busy debating Don's secret son to pick up on the merger foreshadowing.

But such sudden mergers between ad agencies in the 60s wasn't unheard of. A poster on another message board said Jerry Femina talked about such mergers in his 1970 memoir, "From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor Front-Line Dispatches from the Advertising War"

With the exception of last week's excellent "For Immediate Release," this has been a disappointing season so far. And r128, I hate Betty's dyed hair -- think it makes her look even fatter. The near constant Primetime in recent weeks has prevented me from commenting on many things, including her hair.

by Anonymousreply 13005/15/2013

I wouldn't call it foreshadowing either, but the merger makes perfect sense in retrospect. Ted had a dying creative director and Don had been missing Peggy's talents and presence since she left; both men had ulterior motives besides the cover story about teaming up as one big firm to better compete with the other firms. Both firms had been portrayed as struggling for a foothold in a competitive market, and both were also shown to covet each others few successes with a sort of bitter envy. In the end they knew they'd just be two small fish fighting each other while the big fish kept winning, unless they could come together and pool their talents.

The idiot expressing disbelief that it happened in two episodes needs to remember this is a TV show, and one that gets most criticized for moving too slowly. Did you want 3 episodes of boring business meetings re: the merger and scenes of staffers shuffling offices around? Who cares? A plot twist occurred that upended the show's status quo: watch and enjoy (or not), but quibbling over time frames on a show that often skips weeks or months between episodes, and whose creator is known for subtlety and allowing the viewer to fill in the gaps, is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 13105/15/2013

[quote]Ted had a dying creative director ...

Is Gleason a Creative Director? From the dialogue ("I don't wanna draw more rockets") and the fact that Ted is already a Creative Director, I surmised that Gleason was an Art Director.

One that happened to be a major partner at the firm, but an artist nevertheless.

Did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 13205/15/2013

I've heard that a Creative Director who is also an Art Director at the new agency is on his deathbed.

Where do I send my resume?

by Anonymousreply 13305/15/2013

[quote]Also, what happened to Zosia Mamet?

She's busy winning beauty pageants.

by Anonymousreply 13405/15/2013

[quote]... hitting and killing Corporate Spy Megan Draper who was entering the building. Later it is discovered that Burt Peterson sabotaged the Cessna. When he finds out that Don survives the crash and will be able to trace the sabotage, he commits suicide by walking into an open elevator shaft. Happy now?

No! Not until someone falls off that terrace.

by Anonymousreply 13505/15/2013

The merger absolutely was hinted at in a pretty obvious way with Ted's partner dying of cancer. Not only does this deprive them of a key man, but the remaining partners would have to come up with the cash to buy out his estate. No reason to focus on this if not to set up the merger.

by Anonymousreply 13605/15/2013

Most ad agency creatives work in partnerships. Ted is CD, but probably started as a copywriter. Gleason was probably his art director partner and they rose together. My agency has co-creative directors who started that way.

by Anonymousreply 13705/15/2013

When they were discussing who else was being laid off in that meeting, did they mention the butch older woman who replaced Moss?

by Anonymousreply 13805/15/2013

[quote] did they mention the butch older woman who replaced Moss?

That was Margie. She's gone now.

We finally learned her name and she was gone.

by Anonymousreply 13905/15/2013

[quote] It was nice knowing ya...

by Anonymousreply 14005/15/2013

I don't think Margie was that butch. The Zosia Mamet character, now SHE was butch.

by Anonymousreply 14105/15/2013

Mamet's character can stay gone. She creeped me out last season when she was practically wet when describing the Richard Speck photos.

by Anonymousreply 14205/15/2013

I just watched this episode and the first place I ran to was DL, because I thought "They will help me understand what the fuck just went on here..." I thought Don's S&M bullshit was so weird and out of place...it wasn't like that type of sex was building between them previously, it was just bizarre. Why would Don suddenly turn into Mickey Rourke from 91/2 Weeks?

I download the episodes from iTunes (too cheap/poor for cable) and they come with these "Inside Mad Men" 5 minute blips about the episode. For the first time in 5 seasons since I've been downloading them, I actually NEED to watch these blurbs & interviews to figure out what the fuck is going on...I'm all for subtext but Jesus Christ, give us a LITTLE suspense or plot or SOMETHING so that the story actually makes sense.

Pete's mother comes out of nowhere? What the fuck?

I am sorely disappointed this season. Bring back Skinny Blonde Betty, more client storylines, and less naked Hamm please. WE ARE ALL AWARE THAT DON IS FUCKED UP. I want more Joan, more Roger, more office action. Also, put Pete and Trudy back together and let's have some more tense cocktail conversation.

Yeah yeah I know I'm not thinking deeply enough and there is always a lot going on in these episodes but this shit is like the last season of Twin Peaks where it's not even compelling anymore, it's just "Wow, it's so deep it doesn't even make sense, Man!"

Weiner, quit with the self indulgent "Look how DEEEEEEEEEEEEP I am" bullshit. You also ruined the last season of The Sopranos too. Just make good television, for fuck's sake, some of us have nothing else to live for.

by Anonymousreply 14305/15/2013

And before everyone points it out, I meant why would Don turn into Mickey Rourke with THIS lover. I know he's done it before with Teefs and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 14405/15/2013

Sorry R144, but since Don has also been into S&M with a hooker and showed hints with both Betty and Megan--the real question is, why wouldn't he continue down this path?

by Anonymousreply 14505/15/2013

Retarded meltdowns like the one at r125 have kept me from wanting to be here.

by Anonymousreply 14605/15/2013

What R143 said.

by Anonymousreply 14705/15/2013

Don's affairs have become the new hillbilly backstory. Deadly dull, badly written, poorly acted, and the least interesting thing about the show.

by Anonymousreply 14805/15/2013

Peggy (and Moss) were more compelling to watch when she was an insecure, struggling copywriter and when she squabbled with her mom and sister. I know this version of Peggy--the confident career woman--is a natural progression of the character, but I no longer find her interesting. I want to channel surf when she appears. I don't know if it's the writing, Moss looking little more than a young girl dressed in her mother's clothes, or Moss's lack of sex appeal, but the portrayal is neither convincing nor interesting.

by Anonymousreply 14905/15/2013

Peggy and Moss were more interesting when we actually got to see her create something and when she was actually striving to get ahead.

But Peggy has hit the glass ceiling pretty much and so there's not really any more progression to look forward to.

I also am sick and tired of her pointless going-nowhere relationship with Abe that this show has never given us any reason to invest in but hasn't bothered to end once and for all either.

by Anonymousreply 15005/15/2013

[quote]I also am sick and tired of her pointless going-nowhere relationship with Abe that this show has never given us any reason to invest in but hasn't bothered to end once and for all either.

Why do you think Peggy is fantasizing about Ted Chaough?

She's in a dead end relationship with Abe. She just bought an apartment building in a part of town she hates to satisfy her boyfriend. Her mother hates Abe as well.

In the meantime, Ted praises her work, is patient with her and seems to be an all around nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 15105/15/2013

Don being scared and out of control in Ted's plane was the best scene of the whole episode. It spoke volumes.

by Anonymousreply 15205/15/2013

Ted is the exact opposite of Don, this episode proved it.

by Anonymousreply 15305/15/2013

The plane scene was funny but we have to admit it had the production quality of a late-slated SNL sketch with Jon Hamm hosting and reading cue cards.

by Anonymousreply 15405/15/2013

Umm... who did I play again?

by Anonymousreply 15505/15/2013

Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna

Just Buttfuckme

by Anonymousreply 15605/15/2013

[quote]The plane scene was funny but we have to admit it had the production quality of a late-slated SNL sketch with Jon Hamm hosting and reading cue cards.

It really did. It was horribly fake looking.

by Anonymousreply 15705/15/2013

Pete's mom was a nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 15805/15/2013

Loved seeing Pete's mom again. Still hoping for another appearance by Alice Cooper and her fox furs.

I love the crazy old broads of Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 15905/16/2013

What's going on with Dawn? Why wasn't she at work?

by Anonymousreply 16005/16/2013

Dawn was with Alexander, her other side.

by Anonymousreply 16105/16/2013

Connect the dots, R160. That’s the name of the game.

Being aware of Joan’s long established method of rewarding/punishing Don by the way she manages his secretaries, Dawn’s absence can be attributed to her being kept away by Joan as a subtle vengeance at Don for his behavior on last week episode. Joan’s only too happy using the hectic rearrangement of the office, with all the CGC stuff coming in, as an excuse for keeping the newly-in-charge-of-supply-Down busy elsewhere while Don-you’re-300-pounds-lighter-Draper is left alone, answering his phone by himself, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 16205/16/2013

I wondered about Don's S&M thing, it was not sexy at all so I hope Weiner was not going for that. Maybe Don was planning on getting rid of Sylvia so thought he would push her away?

by Anonymousreply 16305/16/2013

[quote]While the merger was certainly a surprise, Ted Chaough moaning about little agencies getting left out could be considered foreshadowing.

Christ, give it a fucking rest already R120, R122, R136 et al.

NO. The viewers at large, nor likely those with their faces plastered against the television screen suddenly realized that one line uttered three episodes back was going to mean this increasingly retarded show was suddenly going to merge two agencies in a single episode. Nobody, except maybe you, but I doubt you got it either.

What's your damage, going off the deep end about people critiquing this program? Its Datalounge... "pointless bitchery" and all that, remember. We're obviously still watching. Stop being a crazed fangurl cheerleader already and get outside for some fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 16405/16/2013

I agree r164 but lighten up a little. Every show talked about on DL has at least one zealous fan/troll its nothing knew.

Likewise for r142. You sound unhinged in your fandom.

by Anonymousreply 16505/16/2013

There have been episodes before where I found myself becoming a bit bored, but this was the first one that I was embarrassed for the cast.

Those scenes in the hotel room were really poorly written and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 16605/16/2013

Why is there always some asshole in every Mad Men thread bitching about the way people talk about the show?

by Anonymousreply 16705/16/2013

Good writing could r168, you dumb cunt.

The episode actually written by Weiner two weeks ago was one of the best of the series. If his staff writers are not up to that standard then he needs to fire them.

by Anonymousreply 16905/16/2013

r169 = One of our lead unhinged MM fangirls who will now post endless replies agreeing with herself and flaming anyone who comes close to critiquing her 'story'.

by Anonymousreply 17005/16/2013

As one of those “flyovers who have barely managed to pass a community college screenwriting course”, I must ask why are you people so mad at us nerds for compulsively scrutinizing a show which was created by this ultimate compulsive nerd, Matt Weiner, exactly for us to jerk off to? What makes you feel so uncomfortable? (I would have said “intimidated” but, alas, I might be guilty of projecting, I’m afraid). Yes, a tiny remark made not only 3 episodes ago, but sometimes 3 seasons ago can be a key for getting stuff. For we, who live in our parents’ basement (this IS the ultimate putdown for you cliche ridden Americans, isn't it?), do enjoy this kind of what we, so wrongly apparently, believe to be complexity. We have no life, allow us this. Please.

by Anonymousreply 17105/16/2013

There was actually a new episode of Mad Men that aired a few days ago. Does anyone here want to discuss that?

r162, Joan has enough subtle vengeance to go around. It's probably targeted to both Don and Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 17205/16/2013

The writers on the show are there to give Matt a first draft to rewrite. He rewrites every draft, using what was given to him as material, a starting point. No writer has a voice on the show except him. Everything you see and hear on screen was his choice.

by Anonymousreply 17305/16/2013

R162 good catch! I think that's exactly what happened.

by Anonymousreply 17405/16/2013

R173: Weiner is too in love with the sound of his own writing.

by Anonymousreply 17505/16/2013

R175 I have no problem with Matt and think Mad Men (along with Breaking Bad) represents a high water mark for the hour long drama. Of course he loves the sound of his own writing, that's why he devotes his life to it.

by Anonymousreply 17605/16/2013

I laughed hard at the plane scene w/ Don and Ted. I like that there's an opposite for Don now and it's not a woman for him to bed, but a colleague. I also liked the scene between Ted and Gleason at the hospital. Trying to imagine Bob Benson trying w/ Joan in a budding relationship--she's too much woman for him.

We got through MLK and RFK. What are the next dark events in 1968? Weiner said '68 was a heavy year in our nation's history and the show's themes and character stories will correspond to that. Those who lived through then, please share.

by Anonymousreply 17705/17/2013

[quote]We got through MLK and RFK. What are the next dark events in 1968? Weiner said '68 was a heavy year in our nation's history and the show's themes and character stories will correspond to that. Those who lived through then, please share.

Well, the two assassinations were the two biggest dark things to happen. But it's also the year of the Tet Offensive in Vietnam, and of the My Lai massacre (although nobody finds out about the latter until 1969). It's also the year of the very troubled Democratic National Convention in Chicago where the police force crack down on antiwar protestors, which is very traumatic for the nation watching.

There are little scandals that year too that disturbed people at the time but seem like nothing now (like the two African-American athletes giving the black power salute at the medals ceremony in the Mexico City Olympics--a huge deal at the time, but trivial now).

by Anonymousreply 17805/17/2013

Democratic convention followed by Nixon's election followed nine months later by Woodstock. And scene.

by Anonymousreply 17905/17/2013

Riots

by Anonymousreply 18005/17/2013

I was in the Army in Vietnam during the Democratic Party convention in 1968. I saw some of it on TV, and much more when I returned home in June, 1968.

It is the next big event, but may be difficult to integrate into the story, because the events happened over a few days. I expect a few TV scenes of Mayor Daley of Chicago out of control.

I thought the background speech of Pres. Johnson right after MLK was assassinated were effective, so let's see how they approach Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 18105/17/2013

I think Don, Pete and Peggy should go to Chicago for a pitch and get caught up in the maelstrom.

by Anonymousreply 18205/17/2013

Better yet, r182, TOM, Pete & Peggy, the hardest core liberals in the firm.

by Anonymousreply 18305/17/2013

Who's Tom?

by Anonymousreply 18405/17/2013

[quote] Linda Cardellini has anachronistic arms.

Not only that but women in 1968 didn't have arms like that.

by Anonymousreply 18505/17/2013

Does anyone think that TLo is getting a little too far up their own asses in their Mad Style posts? I understand Janie Bryant uses color to tell a story to a degree, but sometimes it's just as simple as color wheel opposition or popular color schemes of the era.

by Anonymousreply 18605/17/2013

Actually, Tlo blew my mind with their last Mad Style post. I doubt the costume designer just happened to dress everyone in blue or yellow.

by Anonymousreply 18705/17/2013

Man with a flan. What kind? Quince or carmel?

by Anonymousreply 18805/17/2013

Oops, sorry. I meant to say TED. Thanks for catching that, r184

by Anonymousreply 18905/17/2013

Did Stan get arrested at a gay bar yet?

by Anonymousreply 19005/17/2013

I had to google tlo mad style and found that I already knew about Tom & Lorenzo.

by Anonymousreply 19105/17/2013

Is anyone else disappointed that there are no more gay characters on this show?

by Anonymousreply 19205/18/2013

No more gay character, and no one whom I have ever found particularly sexy. At least, "The Sopranos" had the character Jackie Aprile, Jr and Meadows' other boy friends.

by Anonymousreply 19305/18/2013

Jackie Jr. was gay?

by Anonymousreply 19405/18/2013

No. R193 would open his muumuu and furiously pump his cracked, chapped penis with his tiny, cheetos-stained hands whenver a young italian man wnadered through Sopranoland.

by Anonymousreply 19505/18/2013

Joan's tits in that button-down blouse were fuckin HUGE.

by Anonymousreply 19605/18/2013

[quote]I would assume Harry Hamlin's part will get bigger over the next season and a half--otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to do the show.

Oh please, he'd BEG for a single episode. Its that or a reality show. Bitch please, she ain't Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 19705/23/2013

[quote]I thought Don's S&M bullshit was so weird and out of place...it wasn't like that type of sex was building between them previously, it was just bizarre. Why would Don suddenly turn into Mickey Rourke from 91/2 Weeks?

I had the EXACT same question.

by Anonymousreply 19805/23/2013

Worst. Episode. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 19905/23/2013

Weiner hates gays - it so obvious. It's like we don't exist for him. It's his show so he can do what he likes.

by Anonymousreply 20005/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.