Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GAME OF THRONES, 5/12/13, "The Bear and the Maiden Fair"

Khaleesi exchanges gifts with a slave lord outside of the city of Yunkai.

As Sansa frets about her prospects, Shae chafes at Tyrion's new situation.

Tywin counsels his grandson Joffrey, and Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry.

Brienne faces a formidable foe in Harrenhal.

by Anonymousreply 13506/02/2013

Wasn't it just as dangerous to get down the other side of the Wall as it was to get up it?

by Anonymousreply 105/12/2013

Margaery and Sansa talk dwarf sex!

by Anonymousreply 205/12/2013

George R. R. Martin wrote this episode, and he didn't do a very good job. It's the talkiest episode all season--even the scene with Khaleesi and her dragons (which had excellent CGI) was mostly talk and exposition.

by Anonymousreply 305/12/2013

The only real action scene was the one with the bear at the end, which was very good but which apparently they took from a later episode and imported into this one (I suppose because this episode was so fatally talky).

by Anonymousreply 405/12/2013

[quote]Margaery and Sansa talk dwarf sex!

That was a bullshit scene. They talked abut all the reasons she didn't want to marry him and, "Oh, by the way, he's a fucking dwarf" was about #16 on the list?

by Anonymousreply 505/12/2013

Is Rickon still with Bran? They tend to forget about him. At some level I wonder why he's even on the show: he's done almost nothing since the series began.

by Anonymousreply 605/12/2013

It was definitely a slower episode, but I certainly still enjoyed it, they can't all be action packed.

Richard Madden is a sexy, sexy man.

Also last we will see of Theon's manhood.

by Anonymousreply 705/12/2013

R1, yes, but who the hell needs to see that?

R5, I'm sure it was close to #1 on her list, but she didn't want to seem too petty in front of Margaery.

by Anonymousreply 805/12/2013

Why did Martin want to write this episode? Last season they let him write "Blackwater," which was the climax of the whole season. I know they weren't going to let him write the climax of this season (the episode after next) because the show creators have said they did the entire show just because they wanted to write that particular episode--but still, had I been Martin I would have asked to write the episode a few episodes back where Khaleesi had her dragons and slaves take Astapor.

by Anonymousreply 905/12/2013

Well there were two character changing moments that were executed tonight that only GRRM as the story writer could handle with deft.

The first was "The Boy" taking Theon's "prized possession".

The second was Jaime saving Brienne from the bear pit.

The first was a horrific act that changes Theon, the second a heroic act that changes Jaime.

by Anonymousreply 1005/13/2013

The fans of this show don't watch it for the action, we watch it for the excellent storytelling. This isn't some dumb Michael Bay flick where we want to see things go "BOOM!"

by Anonymousreply 1105/13/2013

[quote]Well there were two character changing moments that were executed tonight that only GRRM as the story writer could handle with deft.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1205/13/2013

r10, how do we know if Theon was castrated? The scene went out of focus and changed before we saw what happened. That pyscho bastard could've been just toying with Theon again.

by Anonymousreply 1305/13/2013

Theon lost that magnificent piece of manflesh that we got a glimpse of in season one. What a pity...

Did anyone else notice a twisted homoerotic tone when "the boy" mentioned Theon's "well talked about cock"???

by Anonymousreply 1405/13/2013

aaaand this is the episode when the audience suddenly forgives Jaime for pushing an 8 year old child 6 stories to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 1505/13/2013

Theon's castration is very strongly hinted at in the books, but I never thought it'd be shown.

by Anonymousreply 1705/13/2013

We may not ever find out explicitly if Theon was castrated, since it's not said explicitly (though certainly implied) in the books. On the other hand, they've made a number of things clear on the TV show that were also only implied in the books like Renly's and Loras's love affair.

It was a kind of "move the pieces around the board so they're in place for the big upcoming climax" kind of episode. Some of it worked very well (such as the great scene with Tywin and Joffrey, and the interesting scene with Dany and the slaver), but some of it was pretty boring. Anything that takes place north of Winterfell is generally pretty dull on this how: there's much too much exposition going on with the wildlings, and the scenes with Bran and the other kids just stop the show to a dead stop week after week.

They did do a very good job with the bearbaiting scene last night, though, even though it was done differently in the book (with other characters putting Brienne in the bearpit).

by Anonymousreply 1805/13/2013

The relative lack of comments about this episode this week probably indicates how uninteresting an episode it was overall. I disagree with the idea that the fans of the series don't want action--[italic]talk[/italic] can have "action" to it if important character developments happen through it. This episode was mostly just exposition.

by Anonymousreply 1905/13/2013

The lack of participation can also be due to the presence of a couple of assholes who want to ruin the show for people who haven't read the books. They take great pleasure in posting unlabeled spoilers. The first season of True Blood was ruined for many people when a jerk posted who the killer was a week before the finale. Oh, and the episode was boring and sucked except for the Tywin/Joffrey and Tyrion/Bronn scenes. Although, it did explain why the Warg doesn't like Jon Snow and raises more doubts about his loyalty to the Wildlings. Why does Tormund take such an interest in Jon Snow's sex life? He did give him some good advice though:)

by Anonymousreply 2005/13/2013

The scene with Tywin and Joffrey was masterfully shot and acted. Hard to believe, though, that Tywyin doesn't think Dany and her dragons are a threat, unless someone has been feeding him false information - Varys perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 2105/13/2013

R20, don't read anything on here on this show or other shows if you don't want to take the chance that someone might write a spoiler. It has always happened in here.

So do you want to know what happens during the Red Wedding?

by Anonymousreply 2205/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 2305/13/2013

I guess I'm crazy. I liked the talk-y aspect of this episode. As someone who hasn't read the books, it gave me the chance to really get to know some of this characters.

by Anonymousreply 2405/14/2013

It only "always happens" because there are inconsiderate douches who act like not posting spoilers of things that haven't happened on the show yet is so insane.

And think about it R21, Dany is a young girl halfway around the world that he has heard has some pet dragons. That really is not a major concern while you are fighting a war.

Once word gets back that she has an army and is conquering cities Tywin might start to care more.

by Anonymousreply 2505/14/2013

So finally watched it, and I thought it was great. Not boring at all. It was like the "calm before the storm"... it was almost romantic. It was really exploring the romantic relationships, entanglements, and obligations of the various characters. I loved pretty much every scene.

by Anonymousreply 2605/14/2013

During season one Alister Thorne of the Night's Watch (the asshole who tormented Jon Snow and Sam Tarly) was sent to King's Landing to lay the dead hand of that wight that attacked Lord Commander Mormont. This was supposed to arouse the "boy king" to send much needed reinforcements to The Wall. Whatever happened with that???

by Anonymousreply 2705/14/2013

I agree, R26.

by Anonymousreply 2805/14/2013

Acting wise, this was Jon/Kit Harrington's best episode. Kit actually seemed to have emotions. I think shooting "South of the Wall" suits him better actually. His acting really stunk last season which was all shot in Iceland.

by Anonymousreply 2905/14/2013

I've read the books but have forgotten a lot of plot points in them. I expect some spoilers in GoT threads, just as I expect spoilers in any thread about any program or movie.

I stay out of the threads until I've seen the episode or film. If a bit of a spoiler slips in for a future episode, I don't worry about it too much.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Control issues?

by Anonymousreply 3005/14/2013

Perhaps you don't see the problem because you have READ the books, r30. But, by all means, spend your time here rendering half-ass psychological evaluations and sparring with those of us who actually like watching the show, instead of having it on as background noise..

by Anonymousreply 3105/14/2013

I'll take that as a "yes" R31.

Thank you so much.

by Anonymousreply 3205/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 3305/14/2013

It was a great episode just because we got to see sexy Robb Stark naked! Just wish it was full frontal. I know I'm in the minority here that Jon Snow does nothing for me but I've literally had sex dreams about Robb. Hopefully I will have one tonight'.

by Anonymousreply 3405/14/2013

God help me but is Joffrey actually sort of handsome this season? I feel like Jack Gleeson is growing into his looks.

by Anonymousreply 3505/14/2013

I can't decide whether I like Catelyn. She can be a hard, humorless bitch. I know she has suffered tremendous loss and she's trying desperately to save her daughters, but she's never exhibited any real warmth. And I don't like that she would rather see her son in an arranged, loveless marriage than be with the truly good woman he married. She's still pissed that he didn't marry Weirdo Frey's daughter but she set the Kingslayer free!

by Anonymousreply 3605/14/2013

This show is so ludicrous. I give it points for a great production and establishing a sombre, if narrow, dramatic tone (downside: in which everyone gives the same portentous line reading that gives the same weight to everything - like a house style that never approaches anything like normal, spontaneous human behaviour) but the plotting is plainly ridiculous. No one character is ever in the moment; they're always stuck in the past or the future. And similar to True Blood, you can watch an entire season and yet the plot and the character's fates advance little. Just a few more episodes to go and they've barely tied up some loose ends from last season and, at most, have announced some poorly matched marriages. And the admittedly impressive dragons are getting bigger. It's quite a bit of silliness.

by Anonymousreply 3705/14/2013

Marrying for love is a luxury that members of the Stark class don't get to enjoy. It's especially irresponsible when trying to fight a war. Catelyn thinks that her son made a really stupid decision, and rightly so.

by Anonymousreply 3805/14/2013

r37, pre-19th Century nobility never married for love. Marriage was never about that. It was a contractual agreement between powerful families. They did love, just usually not with their wives or husbands.

There is an entire genre of literature called "Courtly Love" that deals with the unrequited loves and secret affairs of the grand royal courts of yore.

by Anonymousreply 3905/14/2013

Robb Stark made a decision as a man and as a King to take Walder Frey's daughter as his bride. He reneged on that agreement and that is not taken lightly in the world of Westeros. House Frey is rightfully pissed that Robb basically took his end of the bargain (crossing the Twins bridge) but didn't live up to his (marrying the Frey daughter).

by Anonymousreply 4005/14/2013

The other mistake Robb made was that he didn't foresee he would need Walder Frey's bridge and standing armies in the future, and now he desperately needs them in order to march on Casterly Rock.

Breaking his vow to marry a powerful ally's daughter in exchange for military advantage is not something a would-be king should have done.

by Anonymousreply 4105/14/2013

It's always amazing to me how some people can't remove their 21st century western world view when watching something set in another culture.

Not just with this, but you see that problem often. One of the main reason "Downtown Abbey" is fairly lame to me is because they don't behave realistically for early 20th century aristocrats for fear of upsetting modern audiences.

by Anonymousreply 4205/14/2013

It's clear that Margaery is as gay as her brother, Loras. Shame Renly died. He and Marge along with Loras and Sansa would make terrific royal couples.

by Anonymousreply 4305/14/2013

I loved it.

Robb stark just keeps making mistakes. He comes off as arrogant and selfish.

Jon Snow is boring.

Jaime Lannister has begun his redemption journey and is becoming one of the most interesting characters. The Lannisters in general are just so much more interesting than the Starks. I don’t know if it’s because of the actors or because Martin ended up giving them more substance. The Starks, other then Arya, don’t seem to go through any inner journeys.

by Anonymousreply 4405/14/2013

R42, what SPECIFICALLY are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 4505/14/2013

R7 and R34, I totally agree with you about Richard Madden's sexiness. Whoa, that is one fine man. Hands down the sexiest man on that show. Regarding the broken marriage promise to the Frey daughter, Catelyn made that deal before Ned was killed and Robb was declared king. Not that it matters, Robb still broke the deal but he wasn't king, just acting Lord of Winterfell at the time. And yes, in the wacky world of Westeros, nobles don't usually get the luxury of marrying for love. Kit Harington's acting does nothing for me at all. Jon is one of my favorite characters in the book and on the show, he's a snooze. I liked the scene with Brienne and Jaime saying goodbye in her cell and I thought the bear pit scene was better done on the show then it came across in the books. My eyes just about rolled out of my head when I read it in the books. Enough with the Theon torture. If I never see him or Boy on my screen again, it will be too soon. I think Tywin is making a mistake brushing off Khaleesi and her dragons. Or at least the dragons. She's nothing without them. Tyrion is GRRM's favorite character so having Margarey list the reasons to Sansa why Tyrion is such a good catch was not surprising to me. I am glad the show is continuing with margarey kind of being a friend to her. Everyone seems to forget that Sansa is a Lannister prisoner (even Sansa seems to forget it on the show at times) and she has no reason to want to marry Tyrion, no matter how nice he is to her.

by Anonymousreply 4605/14/2013

[quote]The Lannisters in general are just so much more interesting than the Starks. I don’t know if it’s because of the actors or because Martin ended up giving them more substance. The Starks, other then Arya, don’t seem to go through any inner journeys.

I agree that the Lannisters are far more complex and interesting than the Starks but I disagree that they're not going through journeys as well. Jon grows from being a sullen emo-boy to being a strong leader and the man his father raised him to be. Sansa grows from being a naive little maiden girl to becoming a wiser, even calculating young woman later on.

by Anonymousreply 4705/14/2013

And Arya grows to be...well...pretty scary

by Anonymousreply 4805/14/2013

r48, "scary" is a matter of opinion. I love where her story goes and the future story potential. Maybe some of those names on her list will be held accountable after all. I hope Martin comes correct on her character. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 4905/14/2013

Scary is right. Her - not spoiling anything here - potential career is not what you'd expect and is a pretty sad indictment if Arya's change in personality.

by Anonymousreply 5005/15/2013

I know a lot of fans find Arya's story arc to be cool but when you take into perceptive that she's still just a little girl, it's actually kind of sad and tragic that she has to go through all of that. A little girl should not have to do the things she has to do or see the things she has to see.

by Anonymousreply 5105/15/2013

Some nice shots of Rob's body at the beginning, so I'm happy.

by Anonymousreply 5205/15/2013

It wasn't just the nobility who didn't marry for love. Pretty much no one did. If you were a serf you married the healthiest, strongest person who could pull a plow on their own. And that's for both sexes. The harder life was and is, the more likely you marry for survival if not just for economic advantage. There was no safety net and the idea of marrying for love is a comparitively modern one as someone else stated.

by Anonymousreply 5305/15/2013

R51, the same could be said for Sansa.

by Anonymousreply 5405/15/2013

Could somebody PLEASE explain who the girl and guy are who're with Bran and his threesome?

I have no idea what these people are doing, where they're going or who they are other than Bran, the wild woman and simpleton who help him get along.

Who the hell are the other two and did they kidnap Bran, or just "helping" him?

I realize this show is, for the most part, following the books to the great delight of those who've been loyal readers. But to the rest of us who only know GOT via the television series, it's confusing to the point of wanting to just pass it by some weeks. Not sure it will maintain it's popularity if it remains as difficult to follow and understand as it has been.

At this point, my boyfriend and I sort of just watch for random scenes and dragons. It can be so confusing that we've stopped trying to piece together or make sense of the story lines.

by Anonymousreply 5505/15/2013

r55, to answer your question, the boy and girl with Bran are Jojen and Meera Reed. They are the children of one of Ned's closest friends named Howland Reed who fought alongside him during Robert's Rebellion against the Mad King Aerys Targaryen. Jojen is a bit of a "seer" and has dreams like Bran in which guide them. The group is heading towards The Wall but now Jojen has convinced Bran to head BEYOND the Wall to fulfill his destiny. The Three Eyed Crow in Bran's dreams is trying to lead him beyond the Wall for a specific purpose that has yet to be identified.

As far as the rest of your post, you can't be a casual viewer of this show.

The first season I didn't read the books so I wasn't privy to the storyline like I am now, yet I understood everything that was going on because I paid attention and thought about it after the show ended. I also picked things up in HBO's numerous reruns that I didn't catch the first go-around.

You can't just watch this show half-heartedly like you would a sitcom and still expect to get the same enjoyment out of it. It's one of those diehard fan shows comparable to Breaking Bad and Mad Men where you have to sort of invest more than just one hour of your time to fully get everything.

The world of "Game of Thrones" is immersive and almost like a history lesson. There are so many families, miscellaneous characters, battles, geography, relics and artifacts that it does require the same sort of attention one would pay in a history class.

by Anonymousreply 5605/15/2013

I'm not a book reader, R55, and I can follow the plot lines just fine. The characters' histories can get a bit confusing, but you do have to pay attention or you'll be lost. Lots of exposition in those talky scenes.

The two traveling with Bran's group are a brother and sister duo, Jojen and Meera. She's basically his bodyguard. Jojen is a warg and a seer, just like Bran, only Bran didn't know it until Jojen showed up (in his dreams, first) to inform him of the fact. Jojen has been having dreams of Bran as well and set out to find him. Both boys can see through the eyes of animals (like Orell, the wildling who has it in for Jon), but they are also able to see not only into the future, but through any period of time they like.

Bran has been struggling to make sense of his gift and the three-eyed raven ever since he woke up. He's somewhat under the thrall of Jojen because he's the first person who can give him some answers.

by Anonymousreply 5705/15/2013

In the books Osha and Rickon split from Bran, Jojen and Meera so this storyline is uncharted territory.

Bran and the gang still head north in the books but Osha and Rickon aren't there and head off in a different path because Maester Luwin thought it was wise to separate the two remaining heirs of Winterfell so that if one fell into the wrong hands, the other would be safe. Sort of like Luke and Leia...

I'm curious as to where the show is heading with this.

by Anonymousreply 5805/15/2013

I'm guessing/hoping that later on they decide to split the group up. After last episode it's quite clear that Osha never wants to go beyond the wall again which is very understandable. My guess is that when they all reach the Wall they will go their separate ways with Osha and Rickon going to where they were going in the books.

by Anonymousreply 5905/15/2013

I thought this episode was pretty lame--incredibly talky, which is NOT good storytelling in a visual medium. It just information-dumping, instead of finding a way to show things to viewers--it's one of the first things screenwriters are supposed to learn.

I also think it's telling that we got another somewhat adolescent sex episode during a GRRM hour. Even the books have started seeming a little more smutty of late, like he's in the throes of some mid-life crisis. Oh, wait, let me stop before I'm accused of "toying with spoilers" by the miserable hall monitor.

by Anonymousreply 6005/15/2013

R55, all the info is there. You just have to pay attention. You can't get up and go to the bathroom, duck into the kitchen for a nosh, talk with your partner, or work on your knitting while the show is on. You have to engage yourself with the show.

And it helps to watch the shows multiple times. Thankfully HBO makes this easy. You should probably re-watch the previous seasons, and then re-watch this season. You'll get a lot more out of it. It's all there. For whatever reason, you're just not grasping it.

by Anonymousreply 6105/15/2013

I've never read the books and don't have a problem. I pay attention. It requires an investment.You need to put your brain there, but the rewards are great if you do. Definitely not for the casual watcher. I absolutely love this show.

I read on some recap site that what Brienne and Jamie have is a love affair. I don't see it. Does anybody?

by Anonymousreply 6205/15/2013

About Jamie and Brienne, it is a love of sorts. He has never had an intimate relationship other than that sick one with his sister. Brienne has been an object of derision and aggression by men. They are both revealing parts of themselves to themselves as well as each other. I find it fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 6305/15/2013

Love what's going on between Jamie and Brienne. Very strong relationship. The unexpected mutual respect is being handled very well and makes for a superb complication. Also, love that Jamie presented a moral argument for his past. So many characters are maturing in interesting ways. Also love Khaleesi's new mission to free slaves. Game of Thrones does a great job of humanizing its villains and heroes.

by Anonymousreply 6405/15/2013

Rabid, unhinged, shut-in fangurl alert @ R42 !

by Anonymousreply 6505/15/2013

All of these Game of Thrones threads have one, maybe two extremely unhinged, passive-aggressive fanbois (or girls) who really make any simple critique or question in support of the general discussion miserable for those posting.

We get it folks, you're like, a WAY serious fan of "GoT" and you know ALL about it and you read ALL the books and those who don't read the books are oafs and simpletons unworthy of the "history lesson of another culture" and those viewers who don't rush out and read the books just aren't smart or worthy enough to watch this brilliant, complex and groundbreaking series.

There. Feel better now?

Some of you people really are entirely unbalanced and need to stay away from both your televisions and the computer until you get better.

by Anonymousreply 6605/15/2013

Here is something from a later novel, but definitely not a spoiler; rather, it was an observation that gave me much to think about in watching the current season.

Late in A Feast For Crows, one character says to another that the true son of Tywin is not Jaime, but Tyrion.

Much truth in that observation.

by Anonymousreply 6705/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 6805/15/2013

Jaime coming back to save Brienne fits his character in my opinion. Unlike the rest of his family, he doesn’t seem to care about politics, his loyalties are to those he loves. He does have a strong sense of right and wrong but mostly a need to protect the ones he loves that prevails over everything.

He is a kingslayer not just because he killed the king, but also because he broke the code. He made a moral judgment on a king he was supposed to guard and killed him. Others didn’t have the courage to kill a king, he did. He made an honorable promise to Brienne to return the Stark’s daughters, but he risked that in order to go back and help her instead.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he gets back to the palace and sees his own son as a cruel king. Will his sense of right and wrong prevails over his loyalty to his family, or has his journey changed him?

by Anonymousreply 6905/15/2013

Oh, fuck off, r68. You and the other assholes who insist on posting spoilers here, even though there is a seperate thread to do so, do it to feel superior to the people who have not read the books. I guess it's no fun to discuss the show with people who know as much as you do. Then, when you get the negative reaction you were hoping for, you have the nerve to bitch about it. Talk about control issues. There are many posters who are familiar with the books and can talk about the show without ruining it for others. I enjoy their insights. You don't seem to be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 7005/15/2013

What spoilers have I posted? Ever? And no, I haven't dumped any cookies, so troll-dar away.

You prove me point--you are completely without any sense of perspective or proportion, and overly invested in your self-ordained role as snooty hall monitor. Enjoy, you sad freak.

by Anonymousreply 7105/15/2013

Ser Hall Monitor: "And then I went over to datalounge and made sure everyone was posting appropriately in the GoT threads."

Ser Dorkus of the Peoria Game of Thrones club: "That's excellent! You get a super special Night's Watch pin that you can wear out in public and everything! GRRM himself has written the note that comes with it!"

Ser Hall Monitor: "Ooooh, boy!!! Wait'll I tell mom!"

by Anonymousreply 7205/15/2013

I think they're keeping Osha and Rickon in the picture for as long as the overall plot will allow. I'm sure they'll split off eventually. They've been missing for 3 entire books, which works fine in that context, but not really with a TV show. It's the same reason they're showing the Theon stuff. He was gone for 2 whole books, you don't want viewers to completely forget about characters who may be important in the future. When OSHA does split off, I bet they'll give us a few scenes, maybe next season, of her and Rickon traveling east and crossing to Skaagos... Complete with some exposition as to why no one will ever look for them there.

by Anonymousreply 7305/15/2013

R73, there's already a reason fo people not to go Skagos where Osha and Rickon are rumored to be. The showrunners don't have to make anything up.

by Anonymousreply 7405/15/2013

I didn't say they'd make anything up. They'd just use her to explain Skaagos to the audience, rather than some offhand comment by some random character, as it is in the book.

by Anonymousreply 7505/16/2013

If it is wise to avoid Skaagos, then it must be a hellish place. Does Osha know what kind of a place it is yet is so fearful of going back to the North that she is willing to take her chances? Or does she come across it by chance?

by Anonymousreply 7605/16/2013

r29, Harrington's acting always sticks. He's completely emotionless on screen, and on stage he's a soup of overacting and melodrama. Check out clips of War Horse online. He has absolutely zero nuance as an actor.

Then there's Jack Gleeson who is a fucking Godsend.

by Anonymousreply 7705/16/2013

Gleeson reminds me of that weird prophet kid from Children of the Corn

by Anonymousreply 7805/16/2013

Gleeson must be getting a lot of hate mail. He said after Game of Thrones is over, he wants to go back to college and quit acting. I'm always so impressed when these Brits demonstrate how grounded and realistic they are about their celebrity and how fleeting it all is. I hope he doesn't quit though, because he's a very good actor.

I find Jon Snow's pouty lips attractive, but I think Kit Harrington's interpretation is tedious. I read that Kit is very short in person, and I doubt he'll have much future in films unless he continues to do period costume dramas.

For me the most attractive, talented prospect in this series is Madden, the guy who plays Robb Stark. He's wonderful. I saw him in Birdsong with Eddie Redmayne and he brought me to tears.

My second Choice is Nicholaj Coster Waldau. But most of all, I want them to bring back that hot foreigner who played Ja'gen. We need to start petitioning for him to come back. A boy wants to see him.

by Anonymousreply 7905/16/2013

I'm not 70 but you really are an ass. Not alot of friends either I'm guessing.

by Anonymousreply 8105/16/2013

R80 went there. Sheesh. Maybe the crazed SPOILER! troll will shut the fuck up now.

by Anonymousreply 8205/16/2013

The spoiler 'troll' is not the problem. They make a very natural, obvious, and reasonable point and request.

People like R80 are the reason this forum sucks any more. What a fucking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 8305/16/2013

R83 = the hysterical "SPOILER!" troll.

Nobody was really posting any spoilers Mary, but you kept on and fucking kept on until you made us all miserable.

Go the fuck away if you can't take it. Or, better yet, post a "SPOILER FREE GOT" thread for yourself and the other two crazed fan fraus.

by Anonymousreply 8405/16/2013

This thread is starting to resemble the Cleveland thread. Some wacko going on and on about being a fighter and derailing the whole thing.

Can we now stop with the spoilers crap and get back to the topic?

by Anonymousreply 8505/16/2013

R 80 is a pathetic idiot. R84 too.

by Anonymousreply 8705/16/2013

R88 must be a republican... always blame the victims instead of the bullies (and yes, the spoiler assholes and assholes like R80 are the bullies here).

Fuck that shit. People's bad behavior deserves to be called out.

Especially when it's so completely unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 8905/16/2013

What R89 said.

by Anonymousreply 9005/16/2013

R91, I'm not having a melt-down over anything.

I'm simply pointing out that the people accusing others of melting down are being hypocrites and assholes themselves... the biggest meltdown is R80, not anyone upset over spoilers.

And the fact that you're pissed off at the people upset about spoilers while completely giving a pass to those doing the spoiling (basically blaming us for their behavior, rather than holding THEM accountable) is why you just got called a republican... because that's what they do. Blame the woman who is raped for 'deserving it' for dressing 'provocatively' rather than blaming the rapist for, you know, RAPING PEOPLE.

I'm not BPD, I do not have fibromyalgia, I am not a woman, and I am not melting down. So many false accusations against me for simply agreeing with the basic fact that the people posting spoilers are really inconsiderate and that requests for them to stop are not unreasonable.

by Anonymousreply 9205/16/2013

FUCK! I checked, and saw this thread had reached 92 posts and, since I'm a fan, I dropped in to see what's new and find...nothing is new.

Just the same troll bullshit derailing threads and bickering. It's happening on almost every serious discussion thread no matter the subject.

Fuck all y'all. I'll go elsewhere for my GoT discussions. This place is dying because of all the fucking trolls derailing threads and all the arguing.

by Anonymousreply 9305/16/2013

R94, I'm neither hysterical, nor a control freak. I'm simply making observations. I'm not wallowing in self-pity. And I'm not the one that posted complaints about spoilers, I'm merely observing that they are, in fact, correct.

You're the one being an asshole here (along with R80). Not me. You're the one perpetuating the destruction of this thread, not me. If you'd stop, this would all go away.

So why is it you're so mad at me that you're imaging and projecting things like 'hysteria' and 'control-freak' on me? Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 9505/16/2013

Trolls and bullies don't like to get called out on their inappropriate behavior I guess (as proven by R94, who is slowly becoming evermore unhinged, the more they post)

by Anonymousreply 9605/16/2013

Girls, if you don't stop at once I will have to summon the Webmaster! I mean it.

by Anonymousreply 9705/16/2013

How about we talk about GoT now?

by Anonymousreply 9805/16/2013

If you are going to have a "melt down" r88/r94, don't bring r87 into it. Yeah, troll-dar is my friend.

by Anonymousreply 9905/16/2013

Wow. Way to completely ruin a thread. Now I'll be forced to just discuss GoT on TWoP and I LOATHE TWoP. Too much deranged animals on DL as of late.

by Anonymousreply 10105/16/2013

SHUT THE FUCK UP . All the trolling has ruined the thread.

by Anonymousreply 10205/16/2013

you should retitle this thread: Game of Assholes

by Anonymousreply 10305/17/2013

R101, the people at the AV Club have a pretty good discussion if the show. There's a section for non-book fans and a spoiler-permitted section for book fans. A win-win situation.

by Anonymousreply 10405/17/2013

spoiler sansa cuts tyrion's dick off before they can have sex then throws herself into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 10505/17/2013

Okay I'm done with this fucking thread.

The incessant. non-stop "NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS!!" bullshit lead to spoilers.

There's one or two insane fan psychos who melt these threads down.

Is there a way to post a GOT thread and keep the rabid fangirls and spoiler/anti-spoilers trolls out of it?

by Anonymousreply 10605/17/2013

Once I found out that if the show remains faithful to the book, this shit could go on for 10 more seasons, I had to give up. Practically everyone dies, hundreds of new characters are introduced, now prominent characters eventually take a backseat...who the hell wants a SCI-FI soap opera that lasts for decades?

by Anonymousreply 10705/17/2013

[quote]There's a section for non-book fans and a spoiler-permitted section for book fans. A win-win situation.

There's a thread for non-book readers here, and a spoiler thread here as well. It should be a win-win, but assholes came and posted spoilers in this thread anyway.

[quote]The incessant. non-stop "NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS!!" bullshit lead to spoilers.

You have cause and effect confused, obviously. Nobody posted "no spoilers, please!" until people started posting spoilers. And again, you're blaming the victims, just as bad as saying "She asked for the rape, look how she dressed". You're an idiot.

[quote]There's one or two insane fan psychos who melt these threads down.

Look no further than R80.

by Anonymousreply 10805/17/2013

R79, I could not agree with you more about Richard Madden. He's a looker and has a great command of the screen. Harington is the weak link for me in the cast. Nikolaj Coster Waldau has been doing his best work this season, I hope the Emmy folks notice. Especially since he and Gwendoline Christie sold one of my least favorite scenes in the book-the bear pit.

by Anonymousreply 10905/17/2013

I'm fascinated with the evolution of both Brienne and Jamie. So well written. Their relationship is a pleasure to watch.

I would like to see Sansa grow up. When you think of what her other siblings are going through...... I would like to see less of her buffeted by the winds of fate and more of her taking things into her own hands. Less reaction, more action. Same goes for Arya this season, at least.

Why would Robb Stark have ever married such a milquetoast maiden????? She gives me gas. Maybe it's her herbal remedies.

by Anonymousreply 11005/17/2013

The books are certainly sprawling, and the show will be as well, but not NEARLY as bad.

The creators of the show have directly said they don't want to see this running for 10 seasons and they don't want to expand it too big, they have the ability to trim the plot and they have and will continue to do so.

The main problem is going to be they are inevitably going to pass where the books are, which they are prepared to do and have an outline of the plot, but it is going to be a lot of them filling it out on their own since the books won't be published. Going to be interesting to see if they can handle it.

by Anonymousreply 11105/17/2013

Btw, I also agree that Richard Madden could be a real one to watch out for and that he has impressed me more than Kit Harington.

Honestly, Jon's flirting with Ygritte in the last episode is the first time Kit ever stood out on screen to me.

by Anonymousreply 11205/17/2013

[quote]The main problem is going to be they are inevitably going to pass where the books are, which they are prepared to do and have an outline of the plot, but it is going to be a lot of them filling it out on their own since the books won't be published. Going to be interesting to see if they can handle it.

I highly doubt GRRM would allow them to do this considering it would be spoiling the books.

by Anonymousreply 11305/17/2013

Kit/Jon is better when he's south of the Wall. All of his scenes north of it have been lackluster. I'm certain it has to do with the harsh weather in Iceland.

by Anonymousreply 11405/17/2013

[quote]I highly doubt GRRM would allow them to do this considering it would be spoiling the books.[/quote]

Allow?! It's a business. They bought the rights to tell the story. Martin has zero control over the show.

Of course no one wants to see the showrunners and George get on bad terms. But George understands the realities of the TV production, they have no choice but to continue creating the best TV show they can and they have said multiple times in interviews that is what they will do.

by Anonymousreply 11505/17/2013

George just needs to start cranking out the books like he used to. The first three novels only had a two year waiting gap between them which is very reasonable. The five year wait for "A Feast for Crows" was ridiculous and the six year wait for "A Dance with Dragons" was unimaginable. I don't understand why he needs that much time to write a fucking book. He's not getting any younger....

Start putting the books out sooner.

by Anonymousreply 11605/17/2013

You try writing a 900 page book r116, and maybe you'll figure out why.

by Anonymousreply 11705/17/2013

But he did it for the first three books no problem. A Storm of Swords which is the longest book in the series was completely in two years. I don't understand why the last two took so damn long and I don't understand why he's projecting a 2015 date for the next. By then the show will definitely have been caught up if not surpassed.

He is also not the most healthy of men. He needs to complete his life's work and legacy.

by Anonymousreply 11805/17/2013

I read an interview with Natalie Dormer recently, and she said George Martin is very much involved with the series, but he is also writing the books as we speak.

The most optimistic thing she said, IMO, was that GRRM was very much impressed with the fan feedback from the TV show, and he really had that in mind as he wrote books 6 and beyond.

He's working closely with the producers and writers so that his version of events and the evolution of the characters is consistent. I was glad to know that.

I am really looking forward to Sunday's episode altho things don't look good for Gendry do they. I hate Melisandre.

R110, everyone is this story is buffeted about by events. Even the people who seem like they are in control are simply trying to manipulate events for their own survival. I think GRRM is saying that no one is really in charge and control or power is illusion. Robb said it best when he said, "I'm winning battles but I am losing this war." He senses things spiraling away from him and he recognizes it.

by Anonymousreply 11905/18/2013

A few things about why Martin is taking so long with the books:

(1) In the early books he could just set things up, but since he clearly wants all the plots to converge in the end he has to think more carefully about how and why to people in certain places until he can get the chess pieces in the right places.

(2) He's reluctant to let the saga end. He obviously is very attached to his world and his characters and doesn't want things to stop, so he's forestalling the inevitable conclusion.

(3) He's overinvolved with moneymaking side projects (the TV series, the litte publishing side ventures like the maps and "The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion lannister") that most of his fans don't think he needs to write

by Anonymousreply 12005/18/2013

I have a question. Not meant to be a spoiler per se and probably only answerable by someone who's read the books.I'm talking about the first three or four books. We saw on HBO, and read that Beric Donderion, has been brought back to life six times after being mortally wounded, because the other guy Thoros(?) has the ability, based on his belief in the "Red God", to restore Beric to life.

Obviously, from her reaction, Melisandre doesn't have this ability, even tho she is some kind of high priestess with magic powers, such as when she had Renley assassinated. So why can't Meisandre do the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 12105/18/2013

She can do lots of other stuff. Stay tuned.

by Anonymousreply 12205/18/2013

r121, from my understanding, R'hllor gives his high priests certain "powers" in different ways. So while Melisandre might have shadow powers, Thoros will have resurrection powers. I also suspect that the powers come from the temperament and motive of the person themselves. Notice that Melisandre's power derives from bringing death while Thoros' derives from bringing life.

Also take into account that since the rebirth of the dragons all sorts of magic have been creeping back into the world which is why the red priests are gaining these stronger magical abilities than they have before. Melisandre states in the books that before recent events she was only able to do what amounted to parlor tricks but now she obviously has more abilities.

by Anonymousreply 12305/18/2013

I look forward to the day Brienne kills Joffrey and she & Jamie have sons who will reign in Westeros.

by Anonymousreply 12405/19/2013

Does Sansa kill Cersei at the end of this season or at the beginning of next season?

I hope the torture scenes when Joffrey flays Varys alive aren't too graphic. I always liked Varys.

by Anonymousreply 12505/19/2013

WTF is up with R121 also being R124 and R125? The trollage on this thread is strong.

by Anonymousreply 12605/19/2013

WTF- ever! I wasn't the first to post this kind of "Spoiler." I say the more the merrier.

by Anonymousreply 12705/19/2013

I doubt R24 is a spoiler lol. Isn't Brienne a hermaphrodite? These "spoilers" are trolls.

by Anonymousreply 12805/19/2013

So Tywin and Oleanna marry, and Oleanna has Joffrey killed the very next day. OF course by then Margeary is Queen. She gets pregnant by Sir Loras her brother, and he then poisons Cersei because she discovers them.

by Anonymousreply 12905/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 13005/20/2013

Don't forget Dany having sex with all three dragons. What will the products of those unions be like?

by Anonymousreply 13105/20/2013

Is there a thread for the 5/19 episode? Couldn't find anything in search... or maybe the trolls have won.

by Anonymousreply 13205/20/2013

next episode thread

by Anonymousreply 13305/20/2013

r132, The thread is on the damn first page.

But here's a clue: Go to your "Settings" (click the link in the left side bar near the top of every page), and in the "Items per page" type 999, then click the little "X" to close the windows. Click "Refresh" at the top of the page.

Okay. Now you have a page of 600 or so threads... just use Ctrl-F in your browser and search for "Game of Thrones". You'll find the latest thread.

by Anonymousreply 13405/20/2013

Asshole @r80. I never read your post. Didn't have to. Knew you would pull a dick move and post the Red Wedding spoiler. I could see you coming a mile away. So, type away asswipe. I won't be reading any of it. I thought you'd like to know my cunt is doing just fine. Thanks for caring.

by Anonymousreply 13506/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!