Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

O.J. Simpson seeks to have robbery conviction thrown out

O.J. Simpson will head to a Las Vegas courtroom Monday in a bid to have his conviction on armed robbery and kidnapping charges thrown out on the grounds that he did not receive proper legal representation at his 2008 trial.

O.J. Simpson ought to die in prison. He's a brutal double murderer who should be punished no matter how they keep him locked up.

by Anonymousreply 7805/20/2013

I agree, OP.

by Anonymousreply 105/12/2013

The murderer has filed what lawyers call a "Hail Mary motion" seeking freedom. Simpson argues his conviction should be set aside and a new trial ordered because of "ineffective counsel and conflict of interest."

Let's hope it fails as most motions such as this usually do.

by Anonymousreply 205/12/2013

He's such a sociopath. So is R3, by the sound of it.

by Anonymousreply 405/12/2013

[quote]They never proved he killed Nicole, because he didn't.

Simpson most certainly killed both Nicole and Ron Goldman. And the prosecution proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt. There was an incredibly stupid, bigoted jury.

by Anonymousreply 605/12/2013

Since a jury found him at fault for the murders in the second trial, they get my vote. I hope Goldman's family is sitting in the courtroom on Monday to gloat over the prisoner.

by Anonymousreply 705/12/2013

[quote]It should be thrown out. He was just getting his own stuff back.

No, he wasn't.

Anything of value belongs to the victims' families per the civil suit.

by Anonymousreply 805/12/2013

Proved it with tampered with evidence? No. They never proved it at all and there was never a motive. OJ was a hugely successful man, there is no way he would have killed his babysitter. A smart man never does that and OJ was smart enough to know his children needed to be with their mother, not with him.

by Anonymousreply 905/12/2013

Ineffective assistance of counsel?! Yale Galanter must be laughing his ass off over that.

by Anonymousreply 1005/12/2013

R9, I encountered OJ before he killed Nicole. He was very violent, angry and a rageaholic, made worse by heavy drug and alcohol use. He scared me to death. Hollywood, who only sees "green," could barely deal with him, because his reputation was well known.

R3, Through a friend I got a temp job selling bad quality tapes claiming his innocence. I was asked if I wanted to meet OJ. I said that I that I already had. Yes, the company's owner said, "but that was before he sliced up 2 innocent people in a fit of extreme rage."

by Anonymousreply 1105/12/2013

[quote]It should be thrown out. He was just getting his own stuff back.

Poor OJ. So misunderstood and mistreated. Right, R3?

R9, Nicole was not his babysitter; she was his possession. As he has shown in both of these cases, he cannot stand the idea of losing something he believes he owns.

by Anonymousreply 1205/12/2013

From the OP link:

"Most defendants lose these writ of habeas corpus motions, but in this case nobody is taking bets on the outcome."

by Anonymousreply 1305/12/2013

Also from the OP link--and hopefully the last sentence is true:

Now 65 years old, Simpson has already spent the last four years in prison and must serve at least nine years of his maximum 33-year sentence before he is even eligible for parole. He would be 70 by then. If Simpson doesn't win a new trial, he could conceivably spend the rest of his life locked up.

by Anonymousreply 1405/12/2013

Yes, I'm aware that a civil trial is different from a criminal trial.

Since a jury of his peers at the civil trial found O.J. responsible for the deaths, they get my vote.

by Anonymousreply 1605/12/2013

R3/R5 somehow manufactures a racist attack where the only racist on the thread is she.

Screw you, you corrupt and dishonest lackey of phony pride.

by Anonymousreply 1705/12/2013

The man who killed her and Ron was a serial slasher, he killed before and I believe afterwards also. I believe he only killed Ron because Ron was in the wrong place at the time. The man killed women, he knew where Nicole lived and thought it would be neat to kill OJ Simpson's Ex. The cops planted the gloves and the blood. Why? Because THEY were racist and jealous of OJ.

OJ had no reason to kill his wife. They were obviously very passionate and stubborn but OJ was certainly smart enough to know that HE would be the FIRST suspect. And he probably still loved Nicole.

by Anonymousreply 1805/12/2013

R18. Stop the nonsense. Simpson killed Nicole and Ron Goldman. No one else had anything to do with the killing. No one.

by Anonymousreply 1905/12/2013

R18, What makes you think that OJ could think rationally? Are you aware of the massive amount of alcohol and drugs that he consumed on a regular basis? That he had extremely violent tendencies and had threatened other girls (including me) and that those around him thought that this was normal OJ behavior?

by Anonymousreply 2005/12/2013

"If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit."

That was great theatre for the jury to witness. O.J. knew they were his gloves, but he also knew they would not fit. All he had to do was stop taking his medication and his hands and feet would swell up. It worked! A murderer walked free.

by Anonymousreply 2105/12/2013

R21 not to mention he wore surgical gloves while trying on the glove. You can't get even gloves three or four sizes larger onto your hands that way.

by Anonymousreply 2205/12/2013

You forgot the witness he nearly broadsided when he was speeding away from the crime scene. WITNESS. He had a long history of domestic violence and spousal abuse. That was his next step Don't even try, he did it.

by Anonymousreply 2305/12/2013

R3, get back to work. There's a whole line of people who need their drivers licenses renewed.

by Anonymousreply 2405/12/2013

[quote]The cops planted the gloves and the blood. Why? Because THEY were racist and jealous of OJ.

Keep in mind that at the time that Fuhrman allegedly planted the glove, the LAPD had no idea where OJ was. For all they knew, he was halfway around the world, in front of multiple witnesses. Why would the cops jeopardize their freedom, careers and lives for a frameup they couldn't even be sure would work? Also the four detectives barely knew one another if at all. How do four officers spontaneously agree to and execute a frameup? And at the time that Van Atter supposedly scattered the blood around OJ's house, there were numerous media people present. How did he do it without being seen? I've asked these questions of numerous people who claimed he was set up, but I've never gotten any kind of logical answer.

by Anonymousreply 2505/13/2013

Just before the trial, I was told privately by a retiring Black LAPD detective that they don't put celebs in jail in Hollywood, not even Black ones. Too much money comes from the "dream factory." I asked him if it made a difference that celebs could hire the best lawyers money can buy, and outspend anyone. He simply smiled in response. By the way, Robert Downey Jr changed that rule to some degree; he was given so many, many chances 1st.

by Anonymousreply 2605/13/2013

Anyone defending Simpson deserves to be locked in a cell with him when he's feeling "upset."

by Anonymousreply 2705/13/2013

[quote]Anyone defending Simpson deserves to be locked in a cell with him when he's feeling "upset."

That paints an interesting image. You know his defenders would suddenly sing a different tune.

by Anonymousreply 2805/13/2013

[quote]The gloves never fit him

Don't you think anyone planting them as evidence would have chosen gloves that would fit him?

What's absurd is that you think the police went out and bought a pair of kiddie-sized gloves, soaked them in the victims' blood and then planted them.

Have you ever seen leather gloves that have been washed in warm water? They shrink, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 3005/13/2013

R29, If the mother of your child was butchered would you really react the way OJ did? A truly innocent man would have spent every last dollar and resource available to hunt that killer down.

by Anonymousreply 3105/13/2013

R32, a mountain of evidence points to OJ's guilt in the killing of Nicole and Ron.

by Anonymousreply 3305/14/2013

Holy Fuck.... Simpson looks like absolute shit!

What the fuck are they feeding him? His bloated, fat face is 3 times the size of George Eads' AND he looks like he's sedated/dazed/retarded.

by Anonymousreply 3405/14/2013

I hate how the media is trying to make this trial happen. It's like watching cockroaches crawling around in a cardboard box. No one gives two shits about OJ Simpson or his cronies.

by Anonymousreply 3505/14/2013

I sincerely hope the murdering piece of shit dies in prison!

by Anonymousreply 3605/14/2013

3,5 9,18 etc.... Stupid scharvatza that believes OJ

by Anonymousreply 3705/14/2013

[quote]A truly innocent man would have spent every last dollar and resource available to hunt that killer down.

He really worked hard at it. He searched golf courses all over South Florida, looking for the killer.

by Anonymousreply 3805/14/2013

Damn, OJ, lay off the cheetos

by Anonymousreply 3905/14/2013

Is he trying to satisfy sexual urges with food or do you think he mounts the willing?

by Anonymousreply 4005/14/2013

[quote] a mountain of evidence points to OJ's guilt in the killing of Nicole and Ron.

Especially the mixture of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown's blood in OJ's car. He was lucky he got an uneducated, ignorant jury during his murder trial.

But this isn't about that trial. He seems to think he should have gotten off scot free on his kidnapping trial because he wasn't aware it was a crime to hold people against their will and threaten them with a gun. He knew it was. Even if that were true, there are a lot of people sitting in jail for doing things that they didn't aware were illegal. Ignorance of the law is not a defense

by Anonymousreply 4105/14/2013

Say hello to the little dumbshit at r42

by Anonymousreply 4305/14/2013

[quote]They never proved he killed Nicole, because he didn't. If you weren't a damn sheep, you would know that.

Ohhhhhhh... bullshit. They proved absolutely he did it but the defense managed to successfully sit a jury of idiots and bigots.

If you weren't a damn fucktard, you'd admit he did it. You and every other fucking dipshit who crows about poor OJ's innocence all know damn well he's guilty as hell.

For whatever your own fucked up reasons or agenda you get off on claiming otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 4405/14/2013

I was repeatedly paid to be on a shadow jury at the very early stages of OJ's trial. They purposely picked people as jurors who would accept their bogus case of OJ's innocence, so few had advanced degrees like I have. Every potential defense was tested; I know I heard them. I couldn't believe how ridiculous some of the theories that they came up with sounded.

In addition the defense intimidated the jury. Notice that they wouldn't let anyone on who stated that they may have reservations about letting her daughter marry a Black man. Did they let anyone on who had ever known anyone who was a victim of spousal abuse?

by Anonymousreply 4505/14/2013

News reports on this newest OJ event aren't even bothering to discuss the case very much. They're all focused on how he looks - old and totally out of shape.

Trying to steal that stuff at gunpoint shows that he's just not too smart. Any OJ memorabilia worth money, does not belong to OJ to keep. The court that found him responsible for the deaths of Ron and Nicole awarded all that to the families of Ron and Nicole.

by Anonymousreply 4605/15/2013

Right, he had nothing to do with that killing-and he was just taking a leisurely drive in that bronco with a ton of money, his passport, and a disguise.

by Anonymousreply 4705/15/2013

I thought black didn't crack.... just throw him in a hole already and bury it with mounds of dirt.

by Anonymousreply 4805/15/2013

Is there any merit to the theory that his son might have been responsible for the killings?

by Anonymousreply 4905/15/2013

[quote] The man killed women, he knew where Nicole lived and thought it would be neat to kill OJ Simpson's Ex.

Um, R18, if you don't mind answering, where were you on the night of June 12, 1994?

by Anonymousreply 5005/15/2013

The unable to understand poster that was all over the Missing Women in Cleveland is all over this one also.

by Anonymousreply 5105/15/2013

I think OJ killed his wife and Goldman. I think the defense proffered reasonable doubt that the prosecution proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt. That's all it takes to acquit.

There was certainly enough evidence to meet the burden of proof for a civil trial holding OJ responsible for their deaths.

This Las Vegas thing though is another matter. I think it's pure bullshit and he was convicted because he was acquitted of the murders. Juries are odd entities. Personally I don't even think he should have been charged in the "robbery".

by Anonymousreply 5205/15/2013

Two of the other men connected to the Las Vegas robbery admitted that they had guns with them. So O.J. doesn't have much of a chance to convince the judge that it wasn't a robbery.

by Anonymousreply 5305/15/2013

Why not investigate this killer's claim?

by Anonymousreply 5405/15/2013

The time line isn't even right.

You guys are all simply racist and followers. You never learned to think for yourselves. Whatever the media tells you, you believe. I guess it's not that unusual for people to act like lemmings and fall into the thought pattern of the loudest voice. Hitler had a very loud voice.

by Anonymousreply 5505/15/2013

The man penned a book called "If I Did It"

Duh

by Anonymousreply 5605/15/2013

[quote}The time line isn't even right.

Explain please, in detail or STFU.

by Anonymousreply 5705/15/2013

[quote] Two of the other men connected to the Las Vegas robbery admitted that they had guns with them. So O.J. doesn't have much of a chance to convince the judge that it wasn't a robbery.

I seem to remember that OJ went into the room first and the ones with the guns came in after and that's when they drew their guns. I don't think he knew they had guns. Besides the fact that I think he killed his wife and Goldman it's not like he did that in public or in a way he thought anyone could prove it was him, OJ is not going to rob people with guns in a hotel in front of numerous people. That ain't his style. Nah, these guys set him up cause they knew the door would be opened to OJ Simpson and they were the idiots who decided to bring and use guns.

by Anonymousreply 5805/15/2013

[quote]I seem to remember that OJ went into the room first and the ones with the guns came in after and that's when they drew their guns. I don't think he knew they had guns.

Your memory differs from O.J.

Today he testified that he never even saw guns during the confrontation.

by Anonymousreply 5905/15/2013

He didn't see them because they were behind him. Well at least that's what I think.

Please don't make me be the one to defend OJ Simpson. I really don't want this job.

by Anonymousreply 6005/15/2013

[quote]He didn't see them because they were behind him. Well at least that's what I think.

Yes, I'm sure he never glanced around the room while picking up his memorabilia along with baseballs signed by Pete Rose and Duke Snyder and lithographs of Joe Montana.

Simpson testified in court today that he thought those items would be returned later, along with the hat he took off one of the dealers. That makes perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 6205/15/2013

[quote]Please don't make me be the one to defend OJ Simpson. I really don't want this job.

Nobody with half a brain is going to take the job, so you're stuck with it.

by Anonymousreply 6305/15/2013

This got a lot of publicity on Monday and some publicity on Tuesday. Now, the media seems to have moved on. Unlike OJ's previous court cases, there were empty seats in the courtroom on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday, it filled up.

by Anonymousreply 6405/17/2013

The lawyer who unsuccessfully defended O.J. Simpson against armed robbery charges testified Friday his client knew two companions had guns in a 2007 confrontation with memorabilia dealers.

Miami attorney Yale Galanter contradicted much of Simpson's earlier testimony while under questioning at a hearing in which his former client is seeking a new trial on grounds of ineffective legal representation.

Galanter testified the former football hero confided to him that he had indeed asked two men to bring guns to the hotel room confrontation and "he knew he screwed up."

He said that based on conversations with Simpson, his then-client had asked the two others to bring guns.

"He said, 'The other guys had guns and I didn't,'" Galanter said.

On the basis of that, Galanter said he made the decision not to claim at trial that Simpson couldn't see the guns in the hotel room.

"To argue that he had tunnel vision and didn't see these guns was absurd to me," Galanter said.

by Anonymousreply 6505/17/2013

[quote] I seem to remember that OJ went into the room first and the ones with the guns came in after and that's when they drew their guns. I don't think he knew they had guns

He knew. But that doesn't matter. He was involved in a kidnapping with a gun. That is against the law. oj's problem is that he always thought and still thinks he's above the law.

by Anonymousreply 6605/18/2013

O.J. Simpson testified this week that he’d been drinking all day on Sept. 13, 2007, before he bizarrely robbed two sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel. But sources close to the case wonder if it was watching “The Oprah Winfrey Show” that afternoon that made Simpson snap.

Before Simpson headed to the Palace Station Hotel to rob the dealers, the family of Ronald Goldman, who was murdered along with Simpson’s ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson, were on “Oprah” to discuss the controversial book “If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer.”

It was a repackaged version of a “fictitious” book Simpson had written titled simply, “If I Did It,” based on the murders of which he was acquitted in 1995. That project was scrapped, and the rights were handed over to the Goldman family after Simpson was ordered to pay $33 million to the victims’ families in a wrongful death civil suit.

The Goldmans appeared on “Oprah” the same day the new version of book — which included comments from the Goldmans — was released.

The family repeatedly denounced Simpson’s effort to publish the original tell-all. “It’s sending him a message,” Kim Goldman, Ronald’s sister, said on “Oprah.” “He spent hours putting together this ‘confession’ about how he killed Ron and Nicole — and he worked hard, thinking he was going to make millions off of it. And we snatched it . . . out from under him.”

Later that night, one-time NFL star Simpson and several accomplices committed the robbery, for which he’s serving a 33-year prison sentence.

by Anonymousreply 6705/18/2013

If guys find their stolen stuff, they take it back but to have guns...that was stupid. I've known guys who took back their stolen things, once they found them. No police were called but then again, no guns were involved.

by Anonymousreply 6805/18/2013

Any OJ memorabilia did not belong to him. Even if it had been stolen, it did not belong to him. It belonged to the Goldmans and Nicole's family due to the fact that OJ was found guilty by a jury of his peers of causing the deaths of Ron and Nicole. He owed them $33 million. That's why they had that book on Oprah that day. OJ didn't own the book he wrote.

Some of the things OJ was stealing had no connection to him. He was stealing baseballs signed by Pete Rose and Duke Snyder and lithographs of Joe Montana.

by Anonymousreply 6905/18/2013

I am quite fine that he stay locked up for this most recent offense for the rest of his life. Justice was finally served no matter what the legalities of the 2007 offense and subsequent conviction.

Who the hell in 2013 defends OJ and believes he did not kill Nicole and Ron Goldman? What a mental case.

He wrote a frickin' book called "IF I DID IT."

There are some scary stupid (and some of them WILLFULLY stupid) people out there.

by Anonymousreply 7005/18/2013

Die in jail, you murderer.

by Anonymousreply 7105/18/2013

So it's Oprah who did this!

by Anonymousreply 7205/19/2013

What Happened Ever To Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 7305/19/2013

From AP:

When the weeklong hearing ended Friday there seemed to be little doubt that major mistakes were made when Simpson was sentenced to nine to 33 years in prison on 12 criminal counts. The real question is whether enough was done to meet the high standard needed for District Court Judge Linda Marie Bell to free Simpson from state prison and grant him a new trial.

The final witness she heard from was Galanter, who defended his actions in a tense courtroom standoff with Simpson and his new representatives Friday.

As Simpson's legal team worked to portray Galanter as hungry for the money and fame that could come from an O.J. trial, the lawyer said it was Simpson who agreed to spend more than a half a million dollars on his defense, turned down a plea bargain and decided not to testify.

"I felt a genuine fondness for O.J. and was devastated when he lost," Galanter said.

However, when Simpson testified Wednesday, he recounted his hotel room confrontation with memorabilia dealers, and his interactions with the lawyer he blamed for his conviction.

He said he trusted Galanter based a long professional relationship. "He was my guy," Simpson said.

He said Galanter made no mention of a plea deal and advised him not to testify in his own defense when other lawyers said it would help.

Galanter, when he was on the stand, said Simpson brought "too much baggage" to testify given his 1995 acquittal in the murders of his wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. Following the "trial of the century" Simpson was ordered to pay $33.5 million when he was found liable for the killings in civil court.

Galanter also testified that Simpson confided to him that he had asked two men to bring guns to the hotel room in September 2007, and Simpson "knew he screwed up."

Simpson lawyer Fumo, however, said that claim wasn't credible.

When the hearing ended, the judge said she would issue a written ruling but did not set a date.

If Simpson succeeds in getting his conviction thrown out, prosecutors will have to either retry him or offer a plea bargain. It is also possible Simpson could be freed with credit for time served. If he loses, he will be sent back to prison and will probably appeal to a higher court.

He will be 70 before he is eligible for parole.

more at link

by Anonymousreply 7405/20/2013

That O.J.! What a cut-up!

by Anonymousreply 7505/20/2013

Have we discussed on DL the gossip that Mrs. K bedded OJ? According to a different site, she encouraged her daughters to date wealthy Black men, because they were easier to manipulate.

by Anonymousreply 7605/20/2013

Sorry that most of you can't think for yourselves. There was never any REAL evidence against him. That is the reason he was not convicted. Planted evidence doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 7705/20/2013

R77 - we are thinking for ourselves.

YOU are the one stuck up on OJ being found guilty for a crime for which he DID commit.

Being found "Not Guilty" in law for one crime doesn't give you a life-time pass to do what you want...

by Anonymousreply 7805/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.