Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Smash Season 2 - Part 4

Effective Saturday, May 11. This thread is for people who are tired of dealing with 500+ messages elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 12901/13/2015

What's with McPhee's woolen cap?

by Anonymousreply 105/11/2013

daisy filmed it! haha smash is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 205/11/2013

Gee, wasn't Daisy marvellous? So much better than Ana would have been.

by Anonymousreply 305/11/2013

I feel like nothing much happened this episode.

by Anonymousreply 405/11/2013

Was that HIT LIST or a revival of GOT TU GO DISCO?

by Anonymousreply 505/11/2013

That HIT LIST number might be the worst thing this show has ever put on the air, and that's saying something. Dancing! Boxing! Mad Max costumes!

by Anonymousreply 605/11/2013

How about that original use of cafe chairs in Tom's "revue"? Never seen dancers writhe on chairs like that before...

by Anonymousreply 705/11/2013

I sort of liked the ivy and karen scene (and go ana!). pity we can almost be sure of who 'wins'. oh well.

by Anonymousreply 805/11/2013

Mara Davi is a dancer, not a singer.

McPhee is as bland as a box of frozen mixed vegetables. She ruins every scene she is in.

by Anonymousreply 905/11/2013

loved "grin and bear/bare it".

I'm curious about what happens to ana. does she get her part back? but daisy is nominated because the voters saw the show during the time she played the role? (I don't know how the tony voting works, if that's a dumb guess)

by Anonymousreply 1005/11/2013

Do you think if I was in the audience of Hit List I could text the show "WHAT IS THIS FUCKING SHOW ABOUT?" And why is the show suddenly so ugly?

by Anonymousreply 1105/11/2013

Tony voters don't see a show until it opens and HIT LIST hasn't even opened yet. They said over and over that it's in previews. But whatever. Why are there two live threads about smash right now?

by Anonymousreply 1205/12/2013

On what date did this season wrap?

by Anonymousreply 1305/12/2013

For the series finale two weeks from now, can we please get a fourth and maybe a fifth thread up here? Considering how schizo the show is, it's sort of fitting.

by Anonymousreply 1405/12/2013

BOMBSHELL!!

Debra Messing (and her girth)!

Jeremy Jordan and his love of flatulance and dutch ovens!

Megan Hilty and her full former figger

Kat McPhee and her 'dead eyes'

Adorable Andy M. and his awful haircut for this show.

Wes (Tay Tay) and his succulent ass just ready for some action!

Christian and his nose

'Zack' Slater (sorry, forgot his character's name on this) and his jail term..

Anjelica and her awful wig

Bellhop!!

NotMarc Marc!!

DaphneRubinVegaRhubaHalstonhubba

Savannah Wise and her missing i phone.

Adorable Jenni Barber and her one appearance.

Michael Riedel of the NY Post!

I'll miss em all....

by Anonymousreply 1505/12/2013

Last day of shooting was Friday, March 8th, R13.

by Anonymousreply 1605/12/2013

After all the ridiculousness, I don't know why this would be the breaking point for me, but when Ivy got a call from her doctor's office at midnight to congratulate her on being pregnant, it was just too much for me. Officially.

by Anonymousreply 1705/12/2013

Wow they totally destroyed Derek's character in that last ep. I mean I know he was always pretty reprehensible, but he might just now be unredeemable.

Also, are they serious with the doctor calling Ivy late in the evening ..... to tell her she is pregnant?! Too funny. I'll miss all this about Smash, the wtf moments.

Daisy can't really sing for sh*t but I did kind of love I'm Not Sorry ngl. Catchy as hell lol.

I think McPhee's actually been really good recently, as far as she can be with the crap material her character is always given. She was especially good in the phenomenon.

And Jimmy is still terrible. Even when they're trying to redeem him!

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2013

Jimmy is better than earlier in the season--be thankful for small favors.

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2013

"The TWOP hate for McPhee has hit critical mass. Yeah, the girl's a poor actress, but..."

Oh I know it. Those bitches over there. Didn't their mothers ever tell them if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all? That's why I sooooo love Data Lounge. If I'm feeling teensy bit down, like if my boyfriends says ' Your ass is getting HUGE' or I see that gross mole on my upper arm I always know I can go to Data Lounge where everyone is kind and happy and good.

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

Bellhop, you said Kat and Megan each have a solo in the two hour finale. What is Kat's? because they released the music for the finale today and this is what there is:

Feelin' Alright - Megan Under Pressure - the whole cast Broadway Here I Come! - Kat, Jeremy, Krysta & Leslie Big Finish - Kat & Megan

thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2105/21/2013

Here are the last SMASH songs EVER, Ivy stans and Karen haters!

BROADWAY, HERE THEY GO!

by Anonymousreply 2205/21/2013

Mara Davi is a singer as well as a dancer. She hit every note in At The Ballet in ACL. Plus, she looks great. Unfortunately, the bad choreography for I'm Not Sorry made everyone, well, look sorry.

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

Anyone care to make predictions?

We know Karen always come out ahead no matter what, so she probably wins the Tony.

Safran is clearly in love with Rent, so Hit List will win best musical.

Ivy always comes in, at best, second so she'll be lucky to get thru the evening without pregnancy barf on her gown and not having Derek rant at her about child support and referring her to an adoption agency 5 seconds after she loses her Tony dream.

Jimmy will magically be clean and sober and win the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 2405/23/2013

That was a pretty soulless rendition of tuneless song, R22. Maybe no one wins the Tony. McPhee can not sing high notes. She sings louder instead.

Loved the Marc and Scott numbers. I'll miss SMASH just for these.

I also think Jeremy Jordan is an attractive, effective actor. His problems is that he is just given lines where he says angry words and then exits.

Would like to see more of Anjelica once SMASH is over.

by Anonymousreply 2505/23/2013

McPhee has an awesome voice. I think this McPhee hate is so weird.

I don't think she will win the Tony, but I do think Hit List will win Best Musical and a couple other things.

These actors do the best with the lines and work they are given.

Can't wait to see what they all do next.

by Anonymousreply 2605/23/2013

I agree. I like McPhee's voice. I hope she pops up n TV again soon.

by Anonymousreply 2705/23/2013

Wow late to the party but I kind of hate megan/Ivy's rendition of Don't Forget Me. It doesnt suit her voice at all.

by Anonymousreply 2805/23/2013

Lots of meta going on here!

by Anonymousreply 2905/23/2013

is this the most current thread on SMASH? what happened to that "the final chapter" one?

by Anonymousreply 3005/24/2013

[quote]is this the most current thread on SMASH? what happened to that "the final chapter" one?

I think it froze up or something. I can only assume it contained some Jimmy bashing, compelling Kyle up in heaven to use his awesome angel powers and banish it to DL limbo.

by Anonymousreply 3105/24/2013

CBS has announced The Tony's will be with them through 2018.

by Anonymousreply 3205/24/2013

At least NBC is letting Smash die with dignity.

by Anonymousreply 3305/24/2013

What does meta mean?

by Anonymousreply 3405/24/2013

[quote]At least NBC is letting Smash die with dignity.

Dignity? It's been many episodes since there was any left.

by Anonymousreply 3505/24/2013

Looking at the Season 2 soundtrack it doesn't seem as if Katharine gets a solo in the finale. She sings in it plenty, but it's all duets.

I thought they both got solos. She has sung a majority of the season, I would have loved a solo in the finale though.

by Anonymousreply 3605/24/2013

[36], it's unexpected, but maybe they're trying to give other actors more screentime (about time). they will probably have her act instead of sing though, a 'moving' moment of reuniting with jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 3705/24/2013

[bold]FAREWELL, “SMASH”[/bold]

BY MICHAEL SCHULMAN, The New Yorker

This Sunday night, a two-hour television event will celebrate the allure and corruption of show business: the egos, the betrayals, the excesses, the furtive couplings in the wings—everything that anyone who has ever walked onstage to play Motel the tailor in a high-school production of “Fiddler” while carrying on a backstage affair with one of the Cossacks (happened to a friend!) knows is transformative and bewitching and heartbreaking about the stage.

And that event is “Behind the Candelabra.”

But for those of us who’ll be DVRing Liberace, there’s also “Smash,” whose season finale (and, to the dismay of literally tens of people, series finale) is airing at the same time. (Seriously, the same time? And they say homophobia is dead.) If you, too, have stuck with “Smash” since the beginning, this weekend marks the end of a wild ride, one that started with so many beguiling promises. That the show would bring Broadway into living rooms across America. That it would save NBC from certain doom. That it would “introduce” Katharine McPhee.

If most of those promises ended up, well, smashed, the show’s two seasons still offered a Minnelli of delights (it’s like a flock of seagulls) for theatre lovers, who regarded it with fascination and skepticism. As exciting as it was for Steven Spielberg, of all people, to executive-produce a network TV show about the making of a Broadway musical (which, it was suggested in happier times, might even become a real Broadway musical), even more fun was pointing out what the show got wrong. Unlike “Glee,” which trades in fantasy, “Smash” was a musical series set in something resembling reality, which meant that its plausibility suffered a death by a thousand cuts. Prednisone-fuelled hallucinations? An evil assistant who poisons the star’s smoothie? A train that leaves for Boston from Grand Central?

The biggest problem, though, was the central plot: the rivalry between Karen (McPhee) and Ivy (Megan Hilty), both of whom wanted to play the lead in “Bombshell,” the ersatz Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe. The show kept telling us to root for Karen, a wide-eyed Iowan with that special something, while Ivy was doomed to life in the chorus. But our eyes and ears told us that McPhee was a blah actress with a too-pop-for-Broadway voice, while Hilty was a powerhouse belter and the natural Monroe. McPhee was for “American Idol” fans; Hilty was for connoisseurs. Her talent was off-message.

The toxic offstage atmosphere that made the first season such a train wreck also created a compelling meta-narrative: like “Bombshell,” “Smash” was a show with huge potential that descended into creative chaos. The original creator and show-runner, Theresa Rebeck, is a Broadway playwright herself. Her semi-avatar was Julia Houston (Debra Messing), a successful lyricist who lived in a Brooklyn brownstone, yearned to adopt a Chinese baby, and wore a seemingly endless array of scarves. Rebeck was replaced in season two by Joshua Safran, of “Gossip Girl,” who nixed a slew of characters (so long, Evil Ellis) and added new ones (hello, Jerky Jimmy). He also introduced a hunky, rich dramaturge (Hey, America! Our show’s got dramaturges!), who made bedroom eyes at Julia while telling her why her script writing was incompetent. In the season première, Julia’s writing partner, Tom (Christian Borle), even told her to “lose the scarves.” Ouch.

(continued)

by Anonymousreply 3805/24/2013

Safran’s “Smash” has been a smoother operation by far—it’s had stirring moments, including “Bombshell”’s opening night—but that didn’t save the show from a rapidly dwindling viewership. Somehow, “Smash” went from hate-watch target to guilty pleasure to that show you think should be getting better ratings. Just as it was finally finding its footing, NBC moved it from Tuesday to Saturday nights: television hospice. Of course, the new season had its own implausibilities. Do dramaturges really live in palatial Manhattan apartments? Would the arts editor of the Times really cover “Bombshell” only if they stunt-cast Ivy’s mother (Bernadette Peters), instead of just reporting on its duelling divas, poisoned movie star, illegal funds, and warring divorced producers? And would the arts editor write all the arts stories himself? Where’s bizarro Patrick Healy?

Still, for all its flaws, there’s much that I’ll miss about “Smash.” Including:

* The songs of Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, the team behind “Hairspray” and “Catch Me If You Can,” who at times seemed be the only ones with chops. “Bombshell” had some first-rate numbers, including “Let Me Be Your Star,” which has been stuck in my head for a year and a half.

* The cameos: slumming movie stars (Uma Thurman), Broadway legends (Liza, Bernadette), theatre insiders (Jordan Roth, Michael Riedel).

* Anjelica Huston, who brought a poise and a strangeness to her role, even when her lines were hacky or absurd (“I’ll call the Shuberts AND the Nederlanders!”). She’s the undisputed queen of throwing Martinis in people’s faces. The Bollywood number.

* The parody Twitter accounts and phantasmagorical fan fiction.

* The gosh-darndest answer to a marriage proposal of modern times: “I’m in tech.”

Do I wish “Smash” had succeeded? Do I wish it had gotten Broadway right? Do I wish to go to the festival and that the cow was full of milk? Of course I do. I’ve been praying for a third season ever since Julia told Tom, “I’ve said it before, but a musical could be built around the poetry of Ezra Pound.”

Nevertheless, I’m grateful for the “Smash” we had, even if it got smooshed.

by Anonymousreply 3905/24/2013

Oops. I should have bulleted "The Bollywood Number" separately.

by Anonymousreply 4005/24/2013

[quote]What does meta mean?

r34, a meta joke is one that is self-referencial. That song is directed at the viewers/critics and is more about the TV show than what's actually happening in the character's lives.

by Anonymousreply 4205/25/2013

Some examples of meta things:

-in a meeting, time spent discussing the meeting itself - how long it will last, who will talk first, whether everyone can see the screen - is meta. It's about the meeting, rather than being about the topic the meeting is supposed to be about.

-when a married couple is arguing about a decision (where to spend Christmas, let's say) and one of them says "you always interrupt me" or "don't yell" the argument has turned meta. They're arguing about the argument now, not about Christmas plans.

-when a character in a TV show says to another character "this isn't a movie, this is real life" it's a little meta too, because of course it isn't real life, and by saying this, talking about their situation, they've brought up their own fictionality to you.

-there are also books about writing a book, plays about being in a play, movies about making movies, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 4305/25/2013

A fabulous round-up of events Smash could have covered in a third season (like Broadway Bares).

Something tells me Annoying Actor Friend is actually Wesley Taylor. You're not NotMarc, too, are you, Wes Tay Tay?

In any case, bravo, Annoying Actor Friend.

by Anonymousreply 4405/25/2013

I'm not sure if this private YT link will work, it's Leslie Odom Jr's wonderful farewell to his Smash co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 4505/25/2013

bellhop, did you tell already the bernadette peters + someone story (maybe in that thread that died)? or you will be telling after the finale?

by Anonymousreply 4605/25/2013

R46, I'll tell it sometime tomorrow before the finale airs.

by Anonymousreply 4705/25/2013

Bellhop, you mentioned that McPhee has a solo in tomorrow's finale. Did that end up on the cutting room floor? Because the song was never released with the others on itunes.

by Anonymousreply 4805/25/2013

Actor: Jimmy Collins

Actress: Karen Cartwright

by Anonymousreply 4905/26/2013

R43 That was the best explanation of meta I've ever read...thank you!! I really never understood it exactly until I read your examples...

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2013

Well, here we are, boys and girls, Smash may be coming to an end tonight but I hope the discussion continues here at least through tomorrow.

Here, as promised, is my Bernadette Peters story: in a scene airing in the final episode Leigh and Ivy are watching TV Tony coverage as they prepare to head out for the big event. There is bittersweet banter between the two, who are competing against each other for Best Featured Actress in a Musical. Often before a scene is shot a private rehearsal is called and then the crew later watches what has been worked out so far. This was no exception and Peters, Hilty and the director, Michael Morris, talked through the scene and the blocking. But suddenly there was a call for Josh Safran, who was sitting nearby, to go in there. Private rehearsals are normally conducted in hushed tones but the crew could clearly hear Ms. Peters say "It's OK if you want to make a joke at the expense of my character but it's NOT OK if it's at MY expense." Of course everyone wanted to know what the hell she meant by that. Later on in the day it finally emerged that Safran had decided to add a bit of new dialogue to the scene just before the rehearsal. Ivy was now supposed to say something like "At least whatsername isn't nominated, the one who stands in a spotlight, sings a ballad and a single tears falls down her left cheek." That was definitely a reference to Ms. Peters, who had every right to protest. Silly Josh Safran definitely deserved a slap on the wrist for even considering something he no doubt thought would be "cute" but that Ms. Peters found to be unacceptable.

During the Tony Awards shoot days at the soundstage in Brooklyn (only a section of it was shot at the Marriott Marquis) Ms. Peters served as something of a Tony consultant when she was asked if a certain character would still be holding his/her statuette when he/she would return to the stage when his/her show won Best Musical. So, like, do they have to hand them back temporarily after they win it? Ms. Peters smiled and said "Well, I hung on to MINE."

Rosie O'Donnell was thrilled to be there at Smash again, this time presenting Best Musical. But she was starting to get pissed off at the extras, who were for some reason primarily ethnic and under 40, not exactly an accurate representation of the Tony Awards audience and who didn't seem particularly cognizant of the significance of the event they were pretending to attend. "Come on, people," she begged. "This is like I'm presenting the Best Motion Picture Oscar! How about a little more enthusiasm?" I'm sure the soundtrack will be sweetened with a lot more enthusiasm.

And I'm sure you'll hugely enjoy the series finale. It's got the Tony Awards, a wonderful final number by "the girls" and last but not least, Luke McFarlane.

It's really been fun, everybody. Thanks. Let's give all of us a great big round of applause.

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2013

Totes ready for the finale.

by Anonymousreply 5205/26/2013

Let the games begin!

by Anonymousreply 5305/26/2013

Can someone explain why BP would get upset at that?

by Anonymousreply 5405/26/2013

The champagne is cooling and the box of Kleenex is ready.

by Anonymousreply 5505/26/2013

This is a question for Bellhop, or anyone who worked on the set. I keep reading that "Cousin Debbie" is a diva and a pill to work with. Then, I read that she was respectful to everyone on set. Now, im curious to find out what happened on set, that earned her this reputation. Then it got me wondering if she is, in fact that difficult, why in the world would her boyfriend leave his wife for her? Also, what were they like on set? Did they flaunt their relationship or did they try to keep it a secret? That whole situation just seems so awkward to me, since it's obvious that he was blatantly cheating on his now ex-wife.

by Anonymousreply 5605/26/2013

Just want to thank both Bellhop, Not Marc, Concierge - all of those who gave gossip, which truly enriched my watching the show. I will miss SMASH and you guys.

by Anonymousreply 5705/26/2013

Can't wait to watch it tonight

by Anonymousreply 5805/26/2013

Fingers crossed for more sainted Kyle flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 5905/26/2013

thank you for all the inside gossip, bellhop!

I wish you had stories about the 'suits' in charge, this is what I'm most curious about. to know wth they were thinking with some decisions.

by Anonymousreply 6005/26/2013

R56 = The Ex Wife

by Anonymousreply 6105/26/2013

I'm ready - bring it!

by Anonymousreply 6205/26/2013

Christian Borle had Justin 'Squigs' Robertson who does Broadway sketchessimilar to Ken Fallin, do one of the SMASH cast. It's nice. Borle had copies made for the cast as a parting gift.

by Anonymousreply 6305/26/2013

Another big thank you to bellhop.

by Anonymousreply 6405/26/2013

the speech for jimmy is about karen. haha

by Anonymousreply 6505/26/2013

Sutton Foster in "Oliver?"

by Anonymousreply 6605/26/2013

Loved the last number with Karen and Ivy.

The fake Tony's were a bit much - ummm in what universe would Marin Mazzie present Best Actress in a Musical - isn't that usually reserved for past winners?

The Luke storyline was cute and I'm glad he turned out to be straight...or maybe he just didn't want to fuck Tom (who would?)

I thought they did a good job wrapping it all up. And I'm really happy Jimmy to going to jail for whatever. Maybe six months of mansex will make him realize he loved Kyle all along.

GOODBYE SMASH! good, bad or just plain awful, I loved every minute of it

by Anonymousreply 6705/26/2013

underwhelming, but at least the tony results were better than expected.

too much jimmy and karen, as always.

by Anonymousreply 6805/26/2013

[quote]Maybe six months of mansex will make him realize he loved Kyle all along.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 6905/26/2013

The "Big Finish" number at end was fabulous. Hilty and Mc Phee really were wonderful in it. But, natch, we couldn't just focus on it. We had to see shots of all the reconciled lovers throughout the number. They couldn't just let those two have their big number and get some recognition for all they had to do to try and make the series work for two years?!

by Anonymousreply 7005/26/2013

I would have loved a reprise of Let Me Be Your Star but The Big Finish was great.

So does anyone think Daisy will replace Ivy in Bombshell when Ivy goes on maternity leave?

And, my sound was muffled, did Ivy say to Derek 'it smells like a diaper in here.'

Man, it's really easy to get into Derek's apt. Where does he live.

I did think the musical # with everyone heading to the Tony's was very 'Tonite Reprise from WSS' and why was Ana there?

DEREK SINGS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7105/26/2013

Ivy said "It smells like a DIVE BAR in here."

by Anonymousreply 7205/27/2013

R71, she said it smells like a dive in here.

by Anonymousreply 7305/27/2013

Smash's exec producer in an interview with EW

So was Patrick (Luke MacFarlane) also going to be in season 3? Yes. I mean, we obviously didn’t get that far to make a deal with Luke, but our goal was to create a relationship for Tom that was real and lasting and not filled with the baggage of all he had gone through with Sam.

So was Patrick really gay?! Yes. That makes me nervous because that was my big fear. In the script he said “I’m not gay” and then they kissed. But the actors very much loved the [other way]. But I worry that it reads for the audience that Tom takes advantage of Patrick. No, Patrick is really gay.

I didn’t think he took advantage of him. I just thought maybe that was a cliffhanger for a season 3 story. We were interested in a season 3 idea of Tom working with this man who he was in love with and [who] was in love with him but who wasn’t out. So he finally found the relationship that worked but there was this huge stumbling block.

by Anonymousreply 7405/27/2013

for EW safran says season 3 would revolve around karen in the movie business. in the finale there was a scene (cut) where an agent approached her and said that, besides being a broadway star, karen was a movie star.

I'm even more glad now that "smash" is over.

by Anonymousreply 7505/27/2013

I am not Marc, nor am I Wes. And I'm not Annoying Actor Friend. And Wes isn't either. And after tonight, I am not anyone again, at least as far as this thread is concerned. What more is there to say? Hope you liked it.

by Anonymousreply 7605/27/2013

I'm super confused. I've only skimmed these threads, but I thought it was declared by the coterie of insiders that Smash wasn't cancelled when they shot that final episode. I don't buy that given that episode. It was very much a series finale. What exactly could have happened in Season 3? There was not a single cliffhanger, everything was resolved.

Oh well, it was fun and as much as I didn't like it, I will miss it.

by Anonymousreply 7705/27/2013

I was angry...I loved Smash in the beginning, even though it was soapy and terrible in so many ways...but it just went downhill like a bowling ball on Mt Everest. I'm pissed that Safran couldn't get out of his own way and Spielberg inexplicably was so devoted to Katherine McPhee...I don't think she's so bad, I just think she was miscast.

I'll miss those characters, and I'll miss what the first season was - a behind the scenes soap about Broadway. I will not miss the piece of shit that was tonight's episode, and I will not miss Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 7805/27/2013

Did they ever announce who won the Best Director/Musical Tony? Derek's win was for choreography, right? I don't remember anyone winning for director.

by Anonymousreply 7905/27/2013

Horrible finale. Show has gone downhill big time. A complete joke.

by Anonymousreply 8005/27/2013

It's rare that a show gets a chance to tie things up for viewers and do it thoughtfully. The show ended with grace and class. The cast gave it their all.

by Anonymousreply 8105/27/2013

In Season 3 did Ivy have an abortion?

by Anonymousreply 8205/27/2013

In all black, Rosie O'Donnell looked like Kate Smith.

by Anonymousreply 8305/27/2013

The montage at the end, during the song, felt like a scrabbled together thing; a mini-wrap up of everyone's story, not unlike the equally hasty conclusion that tacked on to the end of PUSHING DAISIES. The obvious difference being that PUSHING DAISIES was, well, good, and SMASH was, well, not.

by Anonymousreply 8405/27/2013

What happened to somebody getting shot? What happened to Derek calling the audiences Wankers?

by Anonymousreply 8505/27/2013

With all it's faults, I loved the show and looked forward to it every week. I will definitely miss it. Megan especially is extremely talented.

Was the "straight" movie star that Tom liked at the end based on Hugh Jackman?

by Anonymousreply 8605/27/2013

I'll miss this series too. Love Megan Hilty, loved seeing some NY actor friends as extras for the past two seasons. I feel that they managed to tie up all the loose ends and actually go out as a final episode of a series not filled with unresolved cliffhangers. And I love the BOMBSHELL cast recording. Wish we could have had a special two hour NBC event of BOMBSHELL on stage, from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 8705/27/2013

I (briefly) spoke to the hot straight guy in the men's room of the Golden before 'the normal heart'. There's my claim to fame. I would have thought the cast would have their own restroom. Perhaps Barkin jammed the thing up trying to get her wheelchair through the door frame. No I didn't see his johnson and he didn't see mine. I just wished him good luck with the show. I should lie and beef up this story.

I loved the episodes and was impressed with the writing. Bernadette was wonderful and Daphne Rutabaga has really grown on me - looks and all. Anjelica shouldn't wear that tight white shell under the suit - her jelly rolls were distracting. I hope Ivy can afford to have those chest moles removed. Jimmy was great for a change.

Great send off. Thanks SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 8805/27/2013

[quote]I love the BOMBSHELL cast recording. Wish we could have had a special two hour NBC event of BOMBSHELL on stage, from beginning to end.

I would have loved to have seen this. But McPhee probably had it in her contract that Hit List would have to be equally represented.

Question, Julia's ending where she shows up at the door of the guy she had the affair with and hands him a piece of paper, what was going on there?

by Anonymousreply 8905/27/2013

Luke MacFarlane looked hot in the series finale. His ass looked amazing too! I've missed him since B&S was cancelled. I heard it he would come back for a season 3 of Smash, so it sucks that it ended with season 2. But oh well..

by Anonymousreply 9105/27/2013

[quote]Did he really deserve a Tony nomination for Bonnie & Clyde?

Yeah, he was pretty good in B&C. And NEWSIES. His looks work MUCH better onstage than on TV, where he just comes off ferrety and mean. And, of course, the writing didn't help.

Did Jimmy's sudden, going-off-to-jail backstory make anyone else laugh? I've seen subtler, more sensible plot twists on The Young And The Restless. For all the nitpicks we can make, it was the basic plotting of SMASH that was its greatest weakness.

by Anonymousreply 9205/27/2013

Bellhop/Not Marc, out of curiosity, did they film a performance of Let's Be Bad for the Tony's that ended up on the cutting room floor (and maybe will be on the DVD)? It just seemed odd that we'd see BHIC from Hit List and nothing from Bombshell, the Best Musical winner.

Otherwise, I was pretty happy with the finale. My favorite characters ended up in a good place, Ivy and Bombshell won, and Big Finish was a truly charming way to end the series.

Smash was a highly flawed series, but it did have moments of greatness as well as outstanding performers like Hilty, Borle, Messing and Davenport. I will miss it.

by Anonymousreply 9305/27/2013

The original script for the finale had two extra musical numbers. It was hundreds of thousands of dollars over budget. So the reprise of LBB was cut - which was going to be a pop song within LBB anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9405/27/2013

Loved the Finale, i want to find another show to hate watch now !! Luke Macfarlane was Amazing..

by Anonymousreply 9505/27/2013

Ah, thanks for the intel. That's disappointing to hear. I still think it was a shame we didn't hear a single Bombshell number in the 2-hour finale.

by Anonymousreply 9605/27/2013

Marc just posted this on his facebook. It's about how they wrote the songs for Smash. Great reading for behind the scenes creative minds behind the show and the first link to the youtube video montage of Marilyn is great. Must read if you love the creative process.

by Anonymousreply 9705/27/2013

In what universe wuld Ron Rifkin hand out two major awards?

And Safran said in an interview that Tom and the Luke McFarlane character would carry on an affair in Season 3? Really??

by Anonymousreply 9805/27/2013

R98 So was Patrick (Luke MacFarlane) also going to be in season 3? Yes. I mean, we obviously didn’t get that far to make a deal with Luke, but our goal was to create a relationship for Tom that was real and lasting and not filled with the baggage of all he had gone through with Sam.

So was Patrick really gay?! Yes. That makes me nervous because that was my big fear. In the script he said “I’m not gay” and then they kissed. But the actors very much loved the [other way]. But I worry that it reads for the audience that Tom takes advantage of Patrick. No, Patrick is really gay.

I didn’t think he took advantage of him. I just thought maybe that was a cliffhanger for a season 3 story. We were interested in a season 3 idea of Tom working with this man who he was in love with and [who] was in love with him but who wasn’t out. So he finally found the relationship that worked but there was this huge stumbling block.

by Anonymousreply 9905/27/2013

Any chance another network would pick it up?

by Anonymousreply 10005/27/2013

No chance at all, r100. It's too expensive for the ratings it was getting.

by Anonymousreply 10105/27/2013

Why would any network pick up Smash for another season? It was such a mess over and over and over again.

I can't figure out why the producers and show runner felt the need to throw everything but the kitchen sink at the audience.

There were so many story lines tossed in and out... the show never found a focus.

I really wanted to enjoy the program, but it always felt so flat, just deflated.

by Anonymousreply 10205/27/2013

The Coming Storm as a musical written by Harvey Fierstein!

Say what you will about Safran, it is fun to have a gay showrunner.

by Anonymousreply 10305/27/2013

I want to discuss just how awful that "under pressure" cover was. When they just had Debra Messing sing/speak the line "People on streets" I laughed so hard I had to pause the DVR.

by Anonymousreply 10405/27/2013

Wow, that was possibly the worst finale I've ever seen. What an embarrassment.

THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

by Anonymousreply 10505/27/2013

Did they really just make the audience sit through a fucking awards show? Christ, I want to punch every single one of the producers and writers in the throat.

by Anonymousreply 10605/27/2013

[quote]God, Jeremy Jordan just sucks. Did he really deserve a Tony nomination for Bonnie & Clyde?

He was great in both shows. And I didn't care for him at all on SMASH. But yes, on stage he was really good.

by Anonymousreply 10705/27/2013

It would be pretty impossible for this finale to have been much worse. The episode a few weeks ago and these last two were really just beyond bad and totally irredeemable.

The "That's Life" episode was the last one with any semblance of anything worthwhile in it. The last 3 hours were by far the worst of the series, making the stupid S2 premiere look genius in comparison. I can't believe Bellhop really tried to sell us the malarkey about the finale being even close to OK or good. It was absolutely terrible in every way.

Very telling that Jennifer Hudson suddenly became "unavailable" and would not/did not return for the final eps as the HIT LIST Diva character, as Safran said was originally planned. Girl was smart enough to get out. What a shame Megan Hilty was forced to do that stupid cover song even in the very last ep. No one ever learned anything on this show.

Deb Messing randomly speak-singing "People on streets" from Queen's "Under Pressure" twice in a row is the series in a nutshell. F-

by Anonymousreply 10805/27/2013

Megan Hilty in WICKED at the Gershwin Theater on Broadway. "Popular"

by Anonymousreply 10905/27/2013

Oh dear. Hudson was supposed to come back? AAaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Well, at least we were introduced to the fab character 'Daisy' who whored around, did some awful Flashdance choreography and won a Tony!!!! She beat Leigh Fucking Conroy!

by Anonymousreply 11005/27/2013

I loved when Karen and Jimmy took over the Tony's and performed the a capella number from "Hit List". Who thought up this garbage?

by Anonymousreply 11105/27/2013

I was waiting for a One Life to Live plot device, like someone abducted by aliens, someone is a secret evil twin, someone is someone's DAUGHTER! or some evil cliffhanger, like Jimmy at the end rips off his "mask" and turn out to be Ellis...or Ivy throws up in the sink and realizes she's carrying the DEVIL'S BABY!!!

by Anonymousreply 11205/27/2013

SMASH went out with a whimper

Low series finale ratings.

by Anonymousreply 11305/28/2013

Jeremy Jordan was NOT nominated for Bonnie & Clyde.

B&C received only two Tony noms: Best Actress for Osnes and Best Score.

Jeremy was nominated for Newsies.

by Anonymousreply 11405/28/2013

Can someone explain to me why Derek got booed for giving the part to Daisy in exchange for sex but no one seemed to have an issue with Daisy having slept her way into the part?

by Anonymousreply 11505/29/2013

Don't overthink it, R115. My ways are mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 11605/29/2013

Can someone else please explain why/how Jeremy Jordan's character can be carted off to jail without a trial or, really, even a crime?

by Anonymousreply 11705/29/2013

The finale was so terrible it made me feel ashamed that I ever watched the show.

The plot was the major problem. Unbelievably stupid.

by Anonymousreply 11805/29/2013

R115 Because Derek was the one in power and Daisy was a poor struggling dancer still looking for her break after 10 years.

Derek = predator Daisy = victim

by Anonymousreply 11905/29/2013

Is it just me or they did never say who won best director?

by Anonymousreply 12005/31/2013

R117, he turned himself in, pled guilty and told to report to the jail by midnight. It's not so unusual for someone who pleads guilty. His crime was providing the drugs to the girl who od'd. It was one of the few believable things in the whole finale.

by Anonymousreply 12105/31/2013

Just finished watching it. I have to admit, it wasn't perfect but I feel as though I'll miss my new "friends". Really enjoyed the show as well as the characters. Of course, loving the theater, it was a perfect fit for me. Good night, Smash. Thanks for a fun two seasons...

by Anonymousreply 12206/02/2013

Cest La Vie

by Anonymousreply 12306/02/2013

They didn't announce best director and I sat there thinking wasn't that part of the plot? Tom vs Derek?

by Anonymousreply 12406/02/2013

Wow. The UK broadcast of Smash, Season 2 began tonight. This show sucks HARD.

by Anonymousreply 12507/18/2013

Megan Hilty just got married.

by Anonymousreply 12611/03/2013

Ha. Only on DL would there be approx. 2,000 posts on this show.

Just binged watched it on Amazon Prime.

I still appreciate the effort and wish it had succeeded.

The execution ? Well .... the second season 'Jonathan Larson' musical really wasn't a great addition. Nor were the actors associated to it (McPhee's roommate was probably the best of those three).

Jennifer Hudson was a glorified extra and didn't bring it the expected audience. (She was in a whopping three episodes.)

Seemed pretty rushed by the end.

I wonder if they ended it with Karen Cartwright basically being the only loser in the whole Tony awards gig .... she definitely wasn't a DL favorite ... and she ended up not winning the Tony, being with a boyfriend about to spend time in jail .... Even Ivy had a happy-ish ending with Derek.

The multiple efforts to pair up Debra Messing's character with a leading man failed and her feud with her partner was a stretch.

Would've been interesting if they used McPhee's character as the one whose death propelled the rise of 'Hit List' (her friend Ana could've taken over the lead role).

by Anonymousreply 12701/12/2015

People on streets...people on streets....

by Anonymousreply 12801/12/2015

For your R128

After binge watching season 2, I went through the DL threads.

Some GREAT stuff from 'insiders' like Not Marc and Bellhop ... it was fun reading them 'bicker' about their stories and the gossip.

Definitely do NOT see that anymore on DL ...one was pro-showrunner and co. and the other one was anti-showrunner and co.

And then a couple more started piping in too to correct either Bellhop or agree with Not Marc

by Anonymousreply 12901/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.