Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Angels in America question

Joe Pitt is supposed to be a psychopath, right?

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

No. He's a closeted gay man who is very conflicted about his sexuality. His story is that of millions of men and women in this

by Anonymousreply 105/11/2013

Why do you think he was a psychopath?

by Anonymousreply 205/11/2013

Roy Cohn is the psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 305/11/2013

Several clues:

1. Wrote the justice's terrible decisions, has no problem with it (have you no decency)

2. Relationships are entirely self-serving

3. Capable of incredible emotional cruelty to Harper and Hannah

4. Claims to be moral but constantly lies

5. Violent when pushed

6. Allusion to 'Rosemary's Baby' (which is a movie more or less about discovering your spouse is a psychopath)

7. Very important - says he doesn't dream. Psychopaths do not dream.

by Anonymousreply 405/11/2013

[quote]1. Wrote the justice's terrible decisions, has no problem with it (have you no decency)

He's a Republican. Now, these days, they often seem like psychopaths to me, but it really doesn't make him one anymore than Samuel Alito is.

[quote]2. Relationships are entirely self-serving

Most relationships are self-serving to a degree. Harper was self-serving also. She did not fit into the whole Mormon life in SLC. She saw him as her ticket out.

[quote]3. Capable of incredible emotional cruelty to Harper and Hannah

And under the right circumstances, most people are. His mother was cold and distant. Hannah was a drug addict. You'd be angry too.

[quote]4. Claims to be moral but constantly lies

He's a Mormon. QED

[quote]5. Violent when pushed

No excuse but a lot people under severe stress will act out. It does not make them psychopaths.

Don't know about number 6.

[quote]7. Very important - says he doesn't dream. Psychopaths do not dream

Ummm...who told you that? Everyone dreams. He can't remember his and most people don't.

by Anonymousreply 505/11/2013

prior to his coming out he is cruel and self-serving....he only discovers what love is with Louis.

Kushner left his redemption intentionally vague because he intended to write a part three where Joe would be the main character and his journey would continue but after 1 and 2 were so successful he felt it was better to quit while he was ahead.

The movie has a new final scene for Joe (not in the play) where Hannah runs into him on the street and tells him things will be ok or something like that and how she will fix something special for dinner. Streep then fixes his collar in a hereto unseen gesture of maternal affection. That scene leaves you with the feeling life will get better for Joe and he will begin to accept himself as Hannah has.

by Anonymousreply 605/11/2013

Harper is no angel either, pun intended. There are hints in the text that she has issues of her own (abuse, repressed lesbianism?) and may have subconsciously chose Joe since and his lack of sexual interest may on some level have been appealing.

Kushner was ahead of his time in indicating that women who marry gay men aren't always just victims of a liar but instead sometimes active participants in the construction of the fake marriage.

(ask Arianna Huffington-----"I'll change you Michael!!! We'll get you help!!!!")

by Anonymousreply 705/11/2013

Greetings Prophet! The great work begins! The Messenger has arrived!

by Anonymousreply 805/11/2013

I get goose bumps whenever I hear that!!! Thanks r8!!!

by Anonymousreply 905/11/2013

That bugged me that they kept going places through the refrigerator !!!

by Anonymousreply 1005/11/2013

I'm absolutely convinced Joe Pitt is supposed to be a psychopath. In addition to the Rosemary's Baby reference, Harper talks about Joe being "a different person" when he comes home from his walks, that he breathes differently in his sleep. When Joe tells Roy why he chose Harper, he says he chose her because she was "always doing something wrong" and he thinks she might have some sexual abuse in her background; this is the type of victim the psychopath goes after. And finally the scene where he confronts her before her total mental breakdown, where he says that he is the "man with a knife" that she is scared of, he is basically admitting he is a psychopath.

I think Kushner is basically saying that the closet turns gay men into psychopaths. Which is true. Roy Cohn is the apotheosis of the closeted gay psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

r11 - it's not that complicated. He's not a psychopath. He's a closeted Mormon Republican whose life comes apart when he can't stay closeted anymore.

Joe would come back a different person after one of his trysts because he would be filled with self-loathing and revulsion.

Joe chose Harper because she was "always doing something wrong". She was not the cheerful Mormon girls he went to college with. It allowed him to do things he knew were wrong.

He's the "man with the knife". It's not meant to be literal. It's her spirit that was getting sapped away from the lies and deceit. She also knew the truth but was afraid to face it. Hence, her fear of him...and the truth.

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.