Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Washington Times Gives RAVES for Gatsby; Best Filmed Version to Date.

"This new “Gatsby” trades the complex interior of the novel for gleaming, lurid surfaces — and it does so effectively. Mr. Luhrmann has captured a lot of the jangly excess of the book in a way that is certainly commensurate with Fitzgerald’s imagination. While the director hasn’t made a great movie out of the great book, he’s certainly made the best filmed version to date.

by B. Luhrmannreply 1505/11/2013

Wait. The Moonie Times likes Baz Luhrmann? Color me fricking surprised.

by B. Luhrmannreply 105/11/2013

There's only been two film versions so far, no?

by B. Luhrmannreply 205/11/2013

There's a silent version that's been lost fr decades. I guess they somehow must have seen it to be able to make the claim.

by B. Luhrmannreply 305/11/2013

No r2.

by B. Luhrmannreply 405/11/2013

Are you including the musical version "Gatsby!" starring Dan Dailey as Jay Gatsby, June Alyson as Daisy and Donald O'Connor as Nick? I read that Helen Lawson, who played Daisy for 447 performances in the stage production on Broadway, became suicidal when she was rejected to reprise the role on celluloid. Ironically, it was Judy Garland who stopped her by stealing all her Seconal.

by B. Luhrmannreply 505/11/2013

That's like saying Moe was the smartest of the Three Stoges

by B. Luhrmannreply 605/11/2013

I saw Colbert interview Luhrmann the other night, and it's almost convinced me to see it. He was very passionate, sold it well.

by B. Luhrmannreply 705/11/2013

The trailers look great.

by B. Luhrmannreply 805/11/2013

There's a 1948 version and a 2000 version also.

by B. Luhrmannreply 905/11/2013

Well he did take all of the moral ambiguity out of it and celebrated the greed and excess in its presentation without any of the consequences, so it's now the perfect movie for their readership.

by B. Luhrmannreply 1005/11/2013

I haven't actually read Gatsby but was hoping to just before I saw this version, if it was good. Now I'm not so sure if i should bother.

Yes, it's supposed to be in most curricula, but I sort of fell through the cracks at my school, though I did a lot of reading on my own. I know Gatsby is supposed to be great, but at this point I perceive it the way i do Garden State or Girls, "voice of a generation" media that really make me wince.

by B. Luhrmannreply 1105/11/2013

I read it in the 10th grade, and probably connected with it more than any other book back then. Particularly the whole trying to reinvent yourself, be a different person angle. This was around the time I was accepting that I was gay.

I remember I put it off until Sunday, when we were due to discuss it in class the next day. I started in the early afternoon, and read straight through all night until I'd finished.

I'm not sure how it would hold up if I revisited it now. I read Tender Is the Night just a few years ago, and didn't love it.

by B. Luhrmannreply 1205/11/2013

yes, r11: it is exactly like Girls or Garden State. How true.

by B. Luhrmannreply 1305/11/2013

That means there must be a Moonie subplot to it.

by B. Luhrmannreply 1405/11/2013

It's getting horrendous reviews on rotten tomatoes...I personally blame this on Jay-Z for screwing up the soundtrack. OTOH, the new Star Trek is getting raves...90%!

by B. Luhrmannreply 1505/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.