Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

American Idol to axe all four judges next season

Also, Jennifer Lopez not under consideration for a return to the judges' panel

"American Idol" is going nuclear for Season 13.

None of the four judges on the singing competition will be asked to return next season, an individual with knowledge of Fox's plans told The Wrap. Longtime producer Nigel Lythgoe is expected to get the boot. And despite reports to the contrary, Fox isn't even considering bringing former judge Jennifer Lopez back as a lifesaver for next season.

Like we said: nuclear.

"All four are gone," the insider told TheWrap. "They feel they've lost their core audience and they want it back."

Driven by this belief and the need to attract younger viewers, Fox is set to make major on-air changes to "Idol," the most notable of which will be an entirely new judging panel. New judges pop icon Mariah Carey, rapper Nicki Minaj and country star Keith Urban won't be back. Even original judge Randy Jackson won't survive the blood bath this time around.

A Fox spokesperson declined to comment for this story.

All four judges have options to return for another season, but Fox won't be picking them up, according to the knowledgeable individual, who said: "No more big checks for divas."

The network has resolved to stop paying the huge salaries it has been shoveling out for its big name talent, i.e. Carey's reported $18 million package, Minaj's $12 million salary and former judge Jennifer Lopez's $15 million.

Also read: Mariah Carey Gets What Jennifer Lopez Wanted: $17M For 'Idol' (Exclusive)

The show's format will also change. Its look will be redesigned and the dated tribute nights will be a thing of the past. But the show's trademark audition episodes will continue.

Behind the scenes, Fox Broadcasting chairman Kevin Reilly is charged with "fixing Idol." And one of the first changes will occur at the top of the food chain: Longtime executive producer Lythgoe is expected to be replaced. What that means for the show's producers, FremantleMedia, remains to be seen.

See photos: 'American Idol' & 'Voice' Winners: Who's Broken Out, Who's Just Broken

Fox's meltdown has everything to do with the talent competition's declining viewership. Its ratings are already down 22 percent this season and it hit a series low for ratings last Thursday, when it attracted only 11 million viewers and a 2.4 rating/7 share in the ad-coveted 18-49 demographic. The ratings slide is especially problematic during May Sweeps, where ratings numbers are used to dictate advertising rates.

Viewing has been in decline for several seasons now. At its height during Season 6, "Idol" attracted about 30 million viewers an episode.

So, why not just cancel the show?

"Idol" is still a huge revenue generator for Fox, bringing in $836.4 million in ad revenue last year, according to Kantar Media. Plus, it has nothing to replace it. Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" is far from being "Idol's" heir apparent after failing to meet ratings expectations over its first two seasons. It, too, is undergoing another round of changes for Season 3, with pop star Britney Spears and record executive L.A. Reid not returning.

Also read: Ratings: 'American Idol' Dips to New Low as 'Big Bang Theory,' 'CBS' Win Night

"Idol's" problems are compounded by the success of NBC's "The Voice." Currently airing its fourth season, the show recently crossed a milestone when it beat "Idol" (and everyone else on the small screen for that matter) in both total viewers and the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic. Additionally, "The Voice" took "Idol's" spot in the Emmy race last year, replacing it among the nominees in the Outstanding Reality Competition category.

Fox and Fremantle declined comment for this story, as did a representative for Keith Urban.

Representatives for Randy Jackson, Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Sharon Waxman contributed to this report.

by Anonymousreply 14805/30/2013

[quote]"All four are gone," the insider told TheWrap. "They feel they've lost their core audience and they want it back."

This show was done, several seasons ago. I suspect most people tuned into the show died stuck to their couches 2 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 105/11/2013

Ryan, bring me the ax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 305/11/2013

This show has been over. I don't know anyone young who is watching it. My aunt, by marriage, is close to 60 and lives in the South. She watches it and posts about it on Facebook. 'Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 405/11/2013

Please. I haven't watched an episode of that dreck in years. Who does? Its fake as hell!!

by Anonymousreply 605/11/2013

Idol is down about 50% in the last two seasons. Whenever I look at the numbers, I always do a double take.

What really killed the show was The X-Factor. Fox got greedy - they wanted two American Idols, one for the fall and one for the spring, and instead got two shows whose ratings don't even add up to one of the original. Serves them right.

Fox knows that the show is not going to increase - these things don't come back in today's climate. But because ratings are still acceptable, they're dumping salary. I would bet they will lose money on Idol this season.

by Anonymousreply 705/11/2013

It isn't the show itself... It's the whole genre of Talent competitions. The format is so stale and old and boring and the same year after year. NO MORE TALENT SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 905/11/2013

But what would we do without these little gems?

by Anonymousreply 1005/11/2013

When was the last time this shitty show had a winner that actually had lasting success? The only winners that are still doing well are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.

All these singing competition shows are boring now. A singer is a singer is a singer.

by Anonymousreply 1105/11/2013

That Philip Philips song is surprisingly great, it's just started getting radio play in the UK.

Phil Squared, Kris Allen and Carrie Underwood are the only hot look like pop stars ones. Clarkson can get a pass on talent, still hasn't been surpassed. I haven't even heard of the season 10 winner.

by Anonymousreply 1305/11/2013

R12 'Tasia, you haven't had a song reach the Top 20 since 2004, and your last 4 singles didn't even chart.

by Anonymousreply 1405/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 1505/11/2013

R15 So what? The chart position means nothing. The album debuted with a pitiful 91,000 copies sold last week, and if you look at Daily Hits Double, it only sold 36,000 this week. Meanwhile, Justin Timberlake, Blake Shelton, and Pink are still in the Top 10 months after having released their albums.

by Anonymousreply 1605/11/2013

Well I know R16, I was just shocked she got as high as #2 on the album charts. You're right that singles sales is where it's @ these days.

by Anonymousreply 1705/11/2013

I stopped watching when Simon Cowell left and I couldn't stomach Ryan anymore. They need to get rid of Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 1805/11/2013

I didn't watch it at all this season. The combination of the judges and the lack of cute, talented boys made that an easy decision for me. But I'm open to watching it again.

by Anonymousreply 1905/11/2013

Harry was really good as mentor, I'm sure they'll ask him to judge. He was super critical of the "gratuitous" runs the contestants and the judges were obsessed with.

Ella, Billie and Sarah where minimalist and sincere in their interpretations of the songs, while the contestants were vulgar, over the top and fake.

by Anonymousreply 2005/11/2013

As much as she got trashed on here, Paula Abdul leaving was really the beginning of the end. Simon can boast about how he is American Idol, but even he couldn't save it when Ellen was brought on for that awful year.

The Paula-Simon relationship helped make that show. People tuned in partly to see how crazy she would act and what sarcastic things he would say to her in return. And you always wondered if they fucked in private. I remember the year he grabbed her ass while coming out to present on the Emmy awards.

It was going to go downhill if one of them left. They just made such a great team.

by Anonymousreply 2205/11/2013

I agree with you, R22. The last time I watched AI was the last season when Randy, Paula and Simon were the only judges.

by Anonymousreply 2305/11/2013

The last season I watched was the Bo Bice - Carrie Underwood one.

by Anonymousreply 2405/11/2013

[quote]And you always wondered if they fucked in private.

No one with half a brain did that.

by Anonymousreply 2605/11/2013

It had 3 templates - 90s r'n'b diva, 90s Dave Matthews band rocker, or 90s Garth Brooks country singer.

Seriously it's 2013. How long could it last on those three acts.

by Anonymousreply 2705/11/2013

The Adam Lambert season was the last one I tuned in for. After that, I had no interest in Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez, etc. And it seemed the winners were all fairly 'country'-ish.

by Anonymousreply 2805/11/2013

R27 pretty much nails it. A lot of country and rock singers got through that shouldn't have. It's acceptable to have an ok voice if you sing rock or country but you can't get away with it if you sing or or RnB.

by Anonymousreply 2905/11/2013

What are they going to axe them?

by Anonymousreply 3005/11/2013

[quote]As much as she got trashed on here, Paula Abdul leaving was really the beginning of the end.

Actually, the beginning of the end was when Paula was still on and they brought in that Kara bitch on as a fourth judge. The show never recovered after that - it messed up the whole chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 3205/11/2013

They'll blame Nicki, or Mariah, or the singers, or whatever, but the decline is quite simple to explain: this show has been on for TEN FUCKING YEARS. Everything declines eventually.

by Anonymousreply 3305/11/2013

Yeah pretty much only 3 styles. All the rock guys all had that Dave Matthews or Hootie and the Blowfish raspy rock vocals.

The Country singers, like Scotty McCreery, worst winner ever, had that very bland big stadium, mainstream contemporary Country vocal.

And the R'n'B, the only genre Randy and the judges ever really gave a damn about, were all 90s Whitney or Luther Vandross faded out carbon copies.

They had no real original, cool contestants.

I'm guessing though some artists don't allow their music to be used on the show right, Like Tori Amos or Kristin Hersh, Cat Power, Radiohead, REM or kd lang?

by Anonymousreply 3405/11/2013

The first winner, Kelly Clarkson fits into none of those templates.

This year's winner will be Candice Glover, another superstar voice that can sing just about anything, though she certainly has soul and jazz and gospel stylings. Her caliber of voice is one that does not arrive often on any stage, talent show or not.

That said, it is time to pack this carnival up. Go out with a winner. Mariah Carey was the biggest waste of money and has revealed that she knows nothing about the technique of singing, the history of music or the English language.

Nicki Minaj is a nasty piece of work and downgraded this show even further. Embarrassing and trashy, and I like me some ghetto. She is something different. Cap in the ass kinda girl, pontificating on things she knows nothing about, and throwing evil shade. Nasty.

Mariah got to play princess in comparison and she sure did. Keith Urban was not bad, kept his comments to the singing and his musical knowledge, but it's a sinking ship. Randy Jackson knows plenty, but has never been articulate and he's had too comfortable of a ride.

The judges had no effect on the voting audience this season and because of that and the lack of cute boys with guitars, the rightful singer is going to win.

Candice Glover is a star vocalist. The best since Clarkson, and at what she does, she is even greater than that. After her win, I will not be watch again.

by Anonymousreply 3505/11/2013

True, R28. It's basically American Country Idol. Fans of other genres tend to think talent shows ( or at least American Idol) are corny and don't take talent show winners seriously, while country fans eat it up ) they love this stuff). Country singers no matter their level of talent, will have some degree of success after AI. The show can't be saved. They need to call it Country Idol and take it from there.

by Anonymousreply 3605/11/2013

I think Candice is a deeply vulgar vocalist, very dated and no real musical intuition or creativity at all.

Her performance of You've Changed was simply hideous, it was like fuck the song, I don't give a shit about the song all I care about is showing off my vocals, my runs and how many top notes I can hit and how long I can hold them. Hideous. She is all over a song like a rash, to be fair to Candice they all are.

Or course the contestants are bound by the judges' obsession with shouting in tone and runs, therefore there are some absolute sublime songs they simply cannot sing because the songs are not conducive to "runs" and vocal gymnastics.

by Anonymousreply 3705/11/2013

I stopped watching after Taylor Hicks won.

by Anonymousreply 3805/11/2013

Getting rid of Paula Abdul is what killed the show. Kara DioGuardi, Ellen DeGeneres, J. Lo, Mariah Carey, & Nicki Minaj could not replace that kind of crazy. It was rumored in 2011 that Fox originally wanted Whitney Houston for this season but after she passed, they set their sights on Mariah. Poor Mariah. Always playing second fiddle to Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 3905/11/2013

[quote]American Idol to axe all four judges next season

whut are day gonna axe dem?

by Anonymousreply 4005/11/2013

Not to derail this thread too much, but in her prime, Mariah Carey was a supreme vocalist with an unbelievable range. Her instrument is of course her voice. Saying that she doesn't know the proper technique to use her instrument effectively, is like saying Arthur Rubinstein didn't know the proper technique of piano playing.

Just as you couldn't get to Rubinstein's level of expertise without knowing the basics and/or proper technique, you also couldn't get to Mariah's without knowledge of the basics ( of course genes also help). I think people sometimes forget that the voice is an instrument just like any other instrument. You wouldn't listen to Sviatoslav Richter and then conclude that he doesn't know his instrument.

by Anonymousreply 4105/11/2013

Yet, R37 Adele is the biggest selling artist in recent memory. Yes,dated.

by Anonymousreply 4205/11/2013

Candice is hardly a deeply vulgar vocalist. I agree that all of the contestants ruined the song standards, and not one of them took the advice of Harry Connick Jr. to sing these great melodies and lyrics without ornamentation. Kree's version of Stormy Weather was the worst.

The construct of American Idol IS old fashioned, and the contestants learned a long time ago that oversinging impresses many, none more than Mariah Carey, the most vulgar singing superstar ever. She invented it.

Candice did great with Love Song, Ordinary People, I Who Have Nothing, and Don't Make me Over and If I were your man. It is old fashioned to sing as well as Natalie Cole or Mary J. or Nina Simone and better than Celine, Mariah or Streisand. I am a musician and vocal coach, have worked with many great and famous singers. I could break down why her voice is great, but it would be dull to most y'all.

The show is antiquated. Candice will not be the next Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood or Adam Lambert. She is going to have a hard time to NOT be turned into some warmed over r&b artist.

She is a classic singer with serious jazz inflections. Not for everyone. Her voice and her technique are stellar.

I am a fan of all the artists that you suggested at r34. They are all white....

You probably think the great Mary J. Blige and the sublime Sarah Vaughan are vulgar too?

"Don't Make Me Over"

Old fashioned, perhaps, but in beautiful voice.

Give her a chance. Clarkson clinched the win by singing Natural Woman, and Stuff Like That There. (she did much better with the standard)

From Kelly to Candice. Full circle moment. Stop.

by Anonymousreply 4305/11/2013

[quote]I think Candice is a deeply vulgar vocalist, very dated and no real musical intuition or creativity at all.

Couldn't disagree more. On the contrary, she has exquisite taste and fine musicianship with her voice. She knows how to treat a song - she's not all about glory notes and melisma at all. She's the kind of singer that doesn't come along very often and I hope the material they give her can do her justice.

by Anonymousreply 4405/11/2013

That stupid show gave me Adam and for that I will always be grateful

by Anonymousreply 4505/11/2013

[quote]And you always wondered if they fucked in private.

Its core audience might have bought it, didn't they have a sexual tension thing?

Perhaps the two most successful weren't winners: JHud and Daughtry. It seemed Daughtry had it in the bag. His face when losing was the classic moment, he couldn't believe it. Yet he didn't need it at all in the end.

by Anonymousreply 4605/11/2013

Was he presented as a gift r45? Was he sent in a Ford vehicle?

by Anonymousreply 4705/11/2013

Who are these "judges?"

by Anonymousreply 4805/11/2013

R37-you're not one of those people who think that a song has to be a slow, monotonous, mumbling, lullaby to be considered "real music" or "deep" are you? Oh God, give me the The Pointer Sisters any day over those tranquilizers with a melody! I'm just not THAT cool.

by Anonymousreply 4905/11/2013

The Voice is succeeding in making the songs seem current and the contestants semi cool. They scoured the internet for professionals who are not just off the turnip truck. Not that you can't make that work (Kelly Carrie) but even they were never cool.

To the poster above I think Adam was the last water cooler contestant of all the shows because he not only had an insanely great voice but he was really the first to ask the lighting and crew people to make each song a bit of theater and people were freaking out about the guy going off script on a pageant show. Now they all get that treatment on all the singing shows but he was someone people thought at the time could actually become a huge international star.

If he had better singles I think he had the ability to do so because he performs like a star but he doesn't seem suited to pop songs and radio seems allergic to him. I would like to see him get a smash song.

The Voice still needs to produce someone who is known beyond the show. I like the girl this year who sang Feeling good. She seems like a star.

by Anonymousreply 5005/11/2013

I stopped watching when that fuck Scotty McCreery won. if that's what they're looking for, I couldn't care less about the show.

by Anonymousreply 5105/11/2013

Yeah, The Voice uses professional singers so that alone gives them a huge advantage over idol. Maybe Idol should consider doing the same. It's getting pretty desperate over at Idol....

by Anonymousreply 5205/11/2013

Who ARE these people? Any of them???

by Anonymousreply 5305/11/2013

The show needs to die.

by Anonymousreply 5405/11/2013

So people watch for the judges?

I quit watching because the winners were always the same after awhile. Kris Allen, Taylor Hicks, Lee Dwyze, Phillip Phillips, Scotty McCreery. They aren't EXACTLY the same, but they are interchangeable doughy white boys who won because preteen girls hormones were raging. Who wants to watch a competition based on that?

by Anonymousreply 5505/11/2013

Adam has become a major star overseas selling out in every country he performs in. Whatcha Want from me was a huge hit and earned him a Grammy nod.

by Anonymousreply 5605/11/2013

It's about friggin' time.

by Anonymousreply 5705/11/2013

R55, I sort of agree but I don't think those guys all won because they were "cute" to the girls.

I also think their massive blandness played into it. None of them were offensive, or quirky, or took chances. They all sound like they could play or sing for a feminine hygiene product commercial. There is no craft or art to what they do.

by Anonymousreply 5805/11/2013

The entire concept of this show is bizarre, a TV viewing audience picking who is the best pop singer? Then there's the judges....

Picking a minimally talented, know more for her fashion sense than her talent, hip-hop performer (Nicki Minaj), to judge what's the best in singing? It's a joke.

At least Mariah and Randy Jackson have years of experience working in their chosen areas of music. I don't understand why a non-singer (Minaj) would be asked to judge singers, the people who are auditioning have better voices than she will ever have. It's an insult to striving singers anywhere to have Minaj judge them.

There was no reason to hie Minaj other than trying to appeal to a demographic which is not already watching this tripe.

As for the general public judging anything, let alone good music, the average American has low rent taste in most forms of entertainment, they wouldn't know good music if they were hit over the head with a boxed set of the best of Miles Davis or even the best of The Beatles!

I'm not a music snob, I listen to many genres of music, but a talent contest based on America's voting is quite laughable. I've watched this mess a few times because I was over a friend's house and they had it on. I also have no interest in "The Voice".

The bottom line: no one wants to pay their dues these days, singers used to play dives bars and well, anything to get attention from someone in the music biz. Why do that when some stupid show gives you instant fame, without the struggles.

by Anonymousreply 5905/11/2013

Idol's problem has never been "talent." The problem is the stupidity - judges, silly format, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6005/11/2013

No one over 14 and under 50 watches this show.

by Anonymousreply 6105/11/2013

Idol and Fox execs need to convince Simon Cowell to ditch X Factor and come back to Idol. And they need to convince Paula to return and admit they made a mistake letting her go. They need to go back to Simon, Paula, and Randy as the 3 judges and promote it as a return to the show's roots. Do this for one or two final seasons and then end the show. Bringing in a new set of "superstar" judges every year doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 6205/11/2013

r59 the singers on the Voice are those that have been performing in bars or singing back up vocals while waiting tables or caring for sick parents or raising kids. They get pro or semi pro contestants.

It would be nice to limit the amount of influence the watching audience has because many times America's choice has sucked.

by Anonymousreply 6305/11/2013

No. No. No. 62 Please god no more Randy Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 6405/11/2013

My local FOX affilliate still does lead-ins with last night's results- like its still 2005.

by Anonymousreply 6505/11/2013

You have to admit that Kris Allen is pretty dreamy!

by Anonymousreply 6605/11/2013

Puhleeze, r62 - let's not forget they hauled Kara's on the show precisely because the ratings were starting to tank with the original three.

by Anonymousreply 6705/11/2013

[quote] let's not forget they hauled Kara's on the show precisely because the ratings were starting to tank with the original three.

Yeah, and that worked out great, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 6805/11/2013

yes r62 and that proves nothing, but poor judgement and reactive television network thinking. Kara was a bitter pill. People were tired of Paula's antics, but they made a mistake in replacing her with a marketing shark like Kara, who had no love for performers.

Then they brought on Ellen. Anyone remember that embarrassment for all concerned?

Simon leaves, Ellen and Kara are dumped, here comes J. Lopez and Steven Tyler. They were not bad, but ratings continue to drop.

So that gets us to Minaj and Carey and Keith, Randy was fired, but Mariah refused to do the show without him, as is witnessed by her inability to form a sentence or stand up without his help.

The original trio of judges were the best. Who knows why but that is the chemistry that worked.

Fox was upset about losing 3 million viewers? They have since lost closer to twenty million.

The wrong people winning for about 6 years in a row might have cost them some viewers too, ya think?

The show is not over, but it is over.

by Anonymousreply 6905/11/2013

But the fact remains--their ratings were already slipping enough that they felt they needed to do something. Your nostalgia is half-baked.

by Anonymousreply 7005/11/2013

I meant r67.

by Anonymousreply 7105/11/2013

I suppose this ratings crash is somehow my fault too...

by Anonymousreply 7205/11/2013

American Idol has 10 million likes on Facebook.

Walking Dead has 16 million.

Jus sayin.

by Anonymousreply 7305/11/2013

It's odd Fox thought these superstar judges would boost ratings when the show was always this juggernaut with a forgotten popstar and 2 people no one had ever heard of.

by Anonymousreply 7405/11/2013

Kara wasn't at all the beginning of the end. The ratings were slowly decreasing (5-10% a season, as is normal after a show reaches a certain point). I think that Fox brought her on to "freshen" it. It didn't really work, and Ellen didn't work the next season either. Ratings didn't really start to alarmingly dive until last season. I chalk it up to two things: The X-Factor in the fall stealing some of Idol's thunder, and The Voice over on NBC. When both of those shows came on the scene, Idol started losing huge chunks of viewership. In short, it's far less about the judges than about Idol losing its "specialness" when up against other singing competitions.

It'll still finish in the top 10 (ratings in general are terrible these days), but it's probably losing money at this point. Hence Fox dumping salary. Look for fewer "big" names for judges next season - maybe one, and 3 industry people.

by Anonymousreply 7505/12/2013

I do think Candice has a incredible voice, but I only got to hear it on Love Song, when it was pure gorgeous Jazz.

But more than not her over singing is vulgar, maybe it is a huge bad habit, maybe she'll be able to shake it off.

Ella or Billie or Sarah never over sang, because they all started in Big Bands, where they forced to be extremely disciplined and it was as much about the band than the artist. They had no freedom to just do ad-lib runs. They learned their trade as disciplined, skilled vocalists in the big bands.

The idol singers are just narcissistic and it's all about vocal showboating, which is vulgar. They have the potential to be great singers but their ideal of what a great singer is so fixed, so cemented in their voice I doubt they can change it ans it is Whitney Huston's I Will Always Love You.

by Anonymousreply 7605/12/2013

It's hard to know how it will comeback from this disaster. Seriously, I felt the comments from the judges was way too sweet and too boring. They basically praised everyone constantly.

by Anonymousreply 7705/12/2013

She joined the judging panel, R78.

by Anonymousreply 7905/13/2013

Axe them what?

by Anonymousreply 8005/13/2013

I'm on the Candice Glover bandwagon. While others think she over sings, I get goosebumps. She is so appreciative of the response she gets from the audience. I think if they can market her to the same crowd who likes Michael Buble, she could be a major hit.

by Anonymousreply 8205/16/2013

Candice Glover won! Her voice was not going to be denied. She is exceptional. People can hear when this kind of talent arrives....

Don`t let the bastards grind you down, CG.

`When I was your Man`

by Anonymousreply 8305/16/2013

What they need to do is throw whatever the hell amount of money Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood want at them then get a legitimate black male singer or producer. May Quincy Jones or R Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 8405/16/2013

Nicole told Keith to say that he still wants the job. Murdoch is her Cannes daddy.

by Anonymousreply 8505/17/2013

Kree was robbed because of reverse discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 8605/17/2013

Candice is spectacular!

by Anonymousreply 8705/17/2013

R86, I don't know if you're kidding; if not then what about the fact that in 13 seasons there have been only 10 black singers who've won. What do you call that?

by Anonymousreply 8805/17/2013

You seem to be in charge of the discrimination.

How hard is for a thick dark skinned jazz singing black woman to win American Idol with it's tweenie voters and Fox viewers? Kree is lovely and talented and if you read the AI thread, most all picked her and Candice as the best from the start. Candice is sublime. Their closeness and excellence is a nice ending to this terrible show. This show should end.

The only thing in reverse was that no matter how inadequate the judges, how ridiculous this show, how much the producers wanted Amber and then Angie to win, that the rightful voice and person won. She is going to have a hard time to not be made a watered down r&b singer.

I was kind of hoping for Mary J. Blige to sing with Candice, and not the hollow voiced Jennifer Hudson. JHud is one of the most over rated singers around and gives all the gospel influenced girls a bad name. Candice is far more a jazz singer. Have you heard her lower range? Her subtle use of runs, her clear voice in all of her range and almost no melisma? Candice is a singer's singer.

R.Kelly and Quincy Jones are a good idea at r84. She needs the right producers. Regardless on future sales, she is the best voice along with Kelly Clarkson that American Idol has discovered. You only had to see Mariah lip sync through her medley to know that torches must be passed. Candice is not the new Whitney or Streisand or Carey, she is a stylist with the most impressive of technique. She doesn`t even fully know how she does it, but lots of the greats just do it. I hope she doesn`t lose it.

Listen to `Don`t Make me Over` up thread, and hear how she sings along the top line of the song at the top of her range in a perfect non-forced tone. She could have gone into head voice, but she did not have to. Her low notes are gorgeous, and we have not heard enough of them as that kind of thing is not appreciated on American Idol.

That was part of Kree`s problem. She can not go from a belt to a head voice at all, and often sounded strained and screechy trying to sing songs that she would probably not usually sing. It is the tone of a singers voice that we love or not, and Kree has a beautiful tone. But she was a bit sleepy or uncomfortable in this competition. I have a feeling she will be more successful than Candice in recording. They both won! Usually a crap statement, but not this time.

Kree has the tone of kd lang mixed with Patsy Cline and Adele. She tried to0 hard to compete outside her vocal abilities. She ain`t going no where. Her tone and integrity will get her far. But hopefully not singing bout ticks in the woods or pickup trucks. Both Kree and Candice have pretty sophisticated taste. American Idol never allows for that.

I thing they are both a victory.

by Anonymousreply 8905/17/2013

Candice's version of I Who Have Nothing was astonishingly bad. I mean just horrible. I love that song, and I barely recognized it 'til 30 seconds in. She ruined it, she was all over it like a rash. Her over singing is just hideous and talk about out-dated. I think the cruise ships await, but the really expensive luxury ships.

Is this the best they can do?

by Anonymousreply 9005/17/2013

Are you serious? I thought Candice's version of "I Who Have Nothing" was the best I've ever heard. Congrats to Candice, well deserved!

by Anonymousreply 9105/17/2013

Totally agree R91. Candice has one of best voices ever on Idol.

by Anonymousreply 9205/17/2013

The only judge needed to be replaced was Nicki Minaj with all her fakeness. Glad I won't have to see her next season.

Did anyone catch Psy last night. The guy didnt even sing, but pose like a moron. No wonder Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day called him out as "The Herpes of Music".

by Anonymousreply 9305/17/2013

Mary J. Blige singing Need Someone, How can anyone compare Candice to her?

I can Imagine Candice or any of the AI girls singing this, they'd be like - IiiiIIII---IIeeee-IIIIEEEEEEEE__EEE! Need-eedddddeddd---edddd-OOO!oooo_eeedd SomeeeOnennneee toooooooooOOOOOOO! Hoooldddddedddd - YOu-oooouuuu!ooOOOOOOO! OOOOOOOO!!! ooooooooooo.

They take 20 seconds to sing 3 words.

by Anonymousreply 9405/17/2013

AMEN r89!

Here's a question. How do you think the oh so tired and overrated Simon Cowell would have critiqued Candice?

by Anonymousreply 9505/17/2013

Candice won, and she deserved the win for no other reason than her singing the One Less Bell/House is Not a Home medley; she sang the fucking melodies as written - Kree tried those stupid ass runs and failed miserably.

by Anonymousreply 9605/17/2013

American Idol hits all-time finale LOW in the ratings:

by Anonymousreply 9705/17/2013

The show's shabby treatment of Adam Lambert at the finale was bizarre. Do the producers hate him? Why?

by Anonymousreply 9805/17/2013

I think Candice could be good, but she'll need one awesome producer. Her first album with suck so bad, typical AI 90's R'n'B vocal showboating, and receive lukewarm dismissive reviews.

However her second might be a lot better. Maybe then she'll have the freedom to take more risks, be more jazzy and if she gets are great producer who'll be able to take her down that road and break those really bad singing habit she has, her 2nd album could be something special.

BTW, Melinda Doolittle, was one of the better AI contestant ever and her album Coming Back to You, was the best critically received AI album so far.

by Anonymousreply 9905/17/2013

Is Ryan getting axed too?

by Anonymousreply 10005/17/2013

[quote] Candice has one of best voices ever on Idol.

THE best. Period.

I've watched all 12 seasons of AI, and I have never, ever seen a contestant or winner who had so much control of their voice - including Kelly Clarkson

Candice has such a deep, sultry voice, with amazing voice control, and pitch perfect. Her voice is like a fine instrument, and that's not an exaggeration. Just listen to how she performs her jazz-type of songs. Simply incredible.

This is just one example of her power, control, and pitch. Candice is only an amateur singer, but she performed like a professional during the finale, and even blew a seasoned performer like Jennifer Hudson OUT OF THE WATER.

Jennifer sounded shrill like she was yelling, and though she tried to overpower Candice, Miss Glover maintained control the entire time.

This was the best AI performance ever. Hands down. Anyone who says different, does not have a clue about music.

by Anonymousreply 10105/18/2013

PS, it's amazing how composed Candice is for only being 23 years old.

Just listen to the smooth harmony of her voice against Jennifer's. Jennifer has no restraint, but Candice's voice is so sublime.

I honestly believe that she will be one of the best voices of her generation.

It's funny how the absolute worst season of AI produced its best winner.

by Anonymousreply 10205/18/2013

Hudson sounded great, R101. They both did.

by Anonymousreply 10305/18/2013

From Candice Glover's Wiki page:

[quote] Glover auditioned in Charlotte, North Carolina. She previously auditioned in seasons 9 and 11. However, in Season 9, former judge Simon Cowell said that he could not see Glover being anything more than a lounge singer.

Simon Cowell is such an asshole. And he clearly doesn't know talent when he sees/hears it.

[quote] Glover was born in Beaufort, and raised in St. Helena Island, South Carolina, to John and Carole Glover. She is the eldest of five siblings. She graduated from Beaufort High School in 2008. Before Idol, Candice was an insecure person who struggled with her weight. In an interview, she said she had to have counseling at school because of her insecurity problems. When Idol ends, Candice says she wants to be a teacher to help girls through what she went through as a young teen.

She seems like a really sweet girl. I'm glad she won.

by Anonymousreply 10405/18/2013

[quote]From Candice Glover's Wiki page:

Glover auditioned in Charlotte, North Carolina. She previously auditioned in seasons 9 and 11. However, in Season 9, former judge Simon Cowell said that he could not see Glover being anything more than a lounge singer.

As far as Season 11 is concerned, I would be interested in Randy, JLo, and Steven Tyler's excuse for not passing her through to the semi-finals because she was as good then as she is now. Wow! Did Candice get the last laugh.

by Anonymousreply 10505/18/2013

I didn't set the quote borders right. Sorry!

[quote]From Candice Glover's Wiki page:

Glover auditioned in Charlotte, North Carolina. She previously auditioned in seasons 9 and 11. However, in Season 9, former judge Simon Cowell said that he could not see Glover being anything more than a lounge singer.[/quote]

As far as Season 11 is concerned, I would be interested in Randy, JLo, and Steven Tyler's excuse for not passing her through to the semi-finals because she was as good then as she is now. Wow! Did Candice get the last laugh.

by Anonymousreply 10605/18/2013

Wrong again, 105/106! LOL

Time for bed, dear!

by Anonymousreply 10705/18/2013

LOL!!! I think you're right r107 but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 10805/18/2013

The Final was pretty lame.

Lowest point was Candice and Jennifer getting into a caterwauling screeching battle.

High light was Angie duetting with Adam and Jessie J. Adam was cool the way he never tried to out sing Angie, it was great duet, and same with Jessie a real duet. It was the highlight, really current and cool. Angie shone too late.

Amber singing with Emile really highlighted how generic and bland Amber's vocals are.

Angie probably should have won, she was the best on the night.

by Anonymousreply 10905/18/2013

[quote]Simon Cowell said that he could not see Glover being anything more than a lounge singer

Sounds right to me. I guess time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 11005/18/2013

Is that show still on? Why?

by Anonymousreply 11105/18/2013

Is it over? did I sing the ballad yet?

by Anonymousreply 11205/18/2013

I dont think this show's contestants and winners have GENERALLY been successful. If anyone is successful it is in the minority (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia and Jennifer Hudson) the rest had barely minor hits and that was it.

And I think when you have judges contradicting themselves and each other week after week in criticizing contestants because they don't fit the judges' ideas of what is a music star then the original artists will never shine through. American Idol has been a deciding factor in the CRAP that is the music industry today. Aretha would never have made it on Idol because Simon would have called her fat. Mick Jagger's voice would be criticized for its lack of vocal ability and Simon would surely make fun of his dance moves. Michael Jackson during the plastic surgery phase would be made a fucking clown during the audition segments and Prince would be thought of as too eccentric, not mainstream enough. Simon and Randy would have shot them DOWN early.

by Anonymousreply 11305/18/2013

Played out, cutting costs - milking it for another season.

by Anonymousreply 11405/18/2013

More proof that (in Fox's mind), it is all about the judges, not the contestants.

by Anonymousreply 11505/18/2013

Kelly Clarkson is the only one with a international career.

I mean if you want to sell just to the flyover states, they are going about it the right way.

by Anonymousreply 11605/18/2013

Good 4 judges would be - Harry Connick Jr, Tori Amos, Maxwell & Erykah Badu.

by Anonymousreply 11705/18/2013

Actually, Angie was robbed before Kree was robbed.

by Anonymousreply 11805/18/2013

I agree the original judges were best but I still didn't like them or the show. Maybe the new judges will finally make me interested in the show, but it's doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 11905/18/2013

I hope Candice wants more of a performing based career than a recording career. There is no money in recording for an artist anymore, the producers and record companies suck up any profit and it only costs the artist money.

Her best performance to me was Love Song (i think that's the name). She sang that song like she was making love to it. The rest of her performances were really good but none of them had the same amount of intimacy and heart that she put in that song. If she is allowed to sing songs SHE really loves, she will always give that kind of performance and she will be unstoppable.

by Anonymousreply 12005/18/2013

I was shocked at Jennifer Hudson basically screaming at Candice. It stands as a perfect example of a singer who screams (Hudson) and a singer who has great volume because of the power in their vocals (Candice). I really do not like the tone in J Huds voice. She is unpleasant to listen to and I'm kind of surprised she even has a career.

by Anonymousreply 12105/18/2013

JHud seems like a sweetie, but her voice is not impressive. Better than many, but compared to Candice and even some of her current contemporaries, not that great. I couldn't get why people were hooping and hollering in the movie theaters when she sang "And I Am Telling You" in the Dreamgirls movie - it was pretty average at best, not even coming close to Jennifer Holliday's version. I think I even heard a white girl sing it better on Showtime at the Apollo back in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 12205/18/2013

I don't imagine Candice having a great career. Maybe if she was around in the mid 90s she'd be huge.

I think next year they should be more interested in creativity and originality and maybe more charismatic vocalists, rather the obsession with bland yet technically flawless notes and run after run, which gets really boring toward the end.

by Anonymousreply 12305/18/2013

[quote]American Idol has been a deciding factor in the CRAP that is the music industry today. Aretha would never have made it on Idol because Simon would have called her fat. Mick Jagger's voice would be criticized for its lack of vocal ability and Simon would surely make fun of his dance moves. Michael Jackson during the plastic surgery phase would be made a fucking clown during the audition segments and Prince would be thought of as too eccentric, not mainstream enough. Simon and Randy would have shot them DOWN early.

Exactly. That's what I meant when I posted (either earlier in this thread or another Idol related one) that Simon is more about business than music. The real visionaries behind the scenes in the music business are the ones who seek out uniqueness, not just latch onto whatever has sold records in the last few years.

It is a shame that arguably the most talented final 2 the show has ever had got stuck with such lousy ratings/viewer fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 12405/18/2013

Next year before the fist episode, they should air an apology for this season.

by Anonymousreply 12505/18/2013

I am very ambivalent about American Idol, but to suggest that only thin, good looking, generic singers win this show is to forget many of the winners and runner-ups.

Rueben Studdard, Fantasia, Crystal Bowersox, Taylor Hicks, David Cook, Clay Aiken. Phillip Philips. ADAM LAMBERT.

I have not always been impressed with the Judges or the voting public. Those of us who say that Candice has the best voice ever discovered on that show are just stating an indisputable fact, if you know anything about music and singing.

(Yes Melinda Doolittle also was a fine singer, but a curious contestant and not as good a voice as Candice.)

To say best voice and best singer are not synonymous. Singing is about technique: breath, phrasing, dynamics, range, pitch and style. The voice is the instrument. I think that Candice has the most beautiful voice ever on American Idol. Her instrument is superb. She has a few bad vocal tendencies, but they are far outweighed by her beautiful technique and jazz taste. The "I who have Nothing" and "Somewhere" performances are what you do to win a show like American Idol, when God has given you a voice as versatile, powerful and unique as Candice has. She basically taught herself to sing in her bedroom and she is a find, a big find.

A voice as beautiful and yes subtle as hers may not be appreciated by the public who is now used to Rihanna and Katy, and Indie artists, but the fact that she won proves otherwise. She will not have Mariah success, who wants to make that deal with the devil anyway?

Candice sings melody great, and most of the r&b singers skip that, including Aretha who hasn't sung more than a line of melody in 20 years. Candice needs some good old fashioned Dianne Warren ballad, some Bruno Mars like syncopated joints, and some Amy Winehouse retro soul sounds to give her a good shot. There is this girl named Adele who has done alright with a good voice, musical integrity and anti-diva singing. Candice is a jazz inflected singer. Much more Natalie Cole and Mary J. Blige and Sade than Mariah or Whitney. Naturally she emulates the Divas, she taught herself how to sing. But her choices of "If I were Your Man", "Ordinary People", "Come Together", "Chasing Pavement" and "Unforgettable", tell us this girl loves to sing jazzy, stylish songs and her performances of the Burt Bacharach numbers displayed her beautiful way of singing melody. She is going to find an audience, I am sure of it.

When Candice makes an album, I am buying it, when she gives a concert, I am there, If she makes a salad, I am eating it. She has a great voice and is on her way to being one of the great singers. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 12605/18/2013

I prefer Jessica Sanchez's voice over Candice's. She was the only one to ever do a Whitney song justice in all 12 seasons.

I thought Angie deserved it the most of the Top 10. She was a triple-threat, as she could write great songs, was pretty marketable, and could belt it with the rest of the girls when she needed it to. Candice has the voice, but I just don't see her having more than a hit or two. Kree could be huge in the country market, if she chooses the right songs and develops a personality. Amber was bland and had no emotion to her voice. Janelle was eh, just a dime-a-dozen country singer. The only guy who was decent was Devin.

Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 12705/18/2013

I'd love to see Tori Amos as a judge! Will never happen, though.

by Anonymousreply 12805/18/2013

Me too. As original and talented as Tori Amos is, don't forget that she too has a beautiful voice. Lovely lyric soprano - it never hurts to sound good. It sure helps to mean what you sing too. Tori would be great.

by Anonymousreply 12905/18/2013

Candice goofing and singing some Whitney. What girl would not like to sound like Whitney Houston? No one can though - certainly not Jessica Sanchez, although she did do a pretty take on Whitney. Amber, not so much.

I post this as further evidence that Candice is self taught and that her style has evolved and is still evolving. She doesn't have the strong chest voice of Houston, but also skips the melisma, which shows some of her own restraint and taste. This is kind of sweet and probably embarrassing for her now. "I will Always Love You" was far from Whitney's best song, but she did things in that song that no one can replicate.

Candice is going to be great. Wait and see. I am never wrong about these things.

by Anonymousreply 13005/18/2013

I agree with r126 one hundred percent.

Candice reminds me of ella fitzgerald or etta james and other singers of that era. Her singing is very straight forward without all the beyonce mariah christina over the top theatrics.

Shes jazzy and yet still modern, which i love!

I am a fan.

by Anonymousreply 13105/19/2013

The only awesome Candice song I heard was LoveSong. She had amazing tone and annunciation and she almost purred through the lyrics, her hands clawing out grasping in front of her. Her vocals, her body were fluid and fluent in her delivery. It was an odd song for the show, it was dark and brooding and had an undercurrent of something not good, not wholesome almost dangerous. That is very rare on Idol. her voice was off almost, not perfect, but in that way it was perfect. Yeah the Love Song was just brilliant. Isn't that something Nina and Billie brought to music?

But then she lost it and went down the singing gratuitous run after run. Then she just turned into typical Carey/Huston wannbe AI contestant.

She needs a good producer to bring out that melancholy darkness and ditch the typical bland AI sound.

Funnily enough Tori Amos would be an awesome judge, she is a gifted child prodigy that has staggering knowledge of music, but also she is independent, provocative, dramatic and very intelligent. She would have drawn more performances like LoveSong out of Candice.

In fact Tori Amos would make a brilliant judge. If they picked 4 really good judges, they would be able to safe the show.

Tori, Harry has proved he should be there, I think he will, also Frank Ocean and Adele, Adele is warm, talent successful and funny and down to earth.

But def Tori and Harry should be judges.

by Anonymousreply 13205/19/2013

[quote] rather the obsession with bland yet technically flawless notes and run after run, which gets really boring toward the end.

It was boring from the beginning, which is why many of us never watched AI. "The Search For The New Whitney" would've been a far more accurate title, and guess what, a lot of us couldn't care less about Whitney and her music.

by Anonymousreply 13305/19/2013

r130 thank you. that link is great. love the tribute to Whitney at the end. i love Whitney and am probably a bit MARY! when it comes to her but the combo of Candice in her purity and joy with Whitney brought a tear.

by Anonymousreply 13405/19/2013

Love the Tori choice r132 but with all she has to offer she would be better for the Voice. On Idol Tori would not be able to do anything except break off a piece of advice or critique now and then her hands would be tied to do anything else.

Thinking about it maybe the shows are backwards? Maybe Idol should be the show to showcase semi pros and then the semi pros have to decide what they will sing, how to present themselves, maybe even do their own arranging. Then the Voice would have amateurs that work with coaches to help guide their development.

by Anonymousreply 13605/19/2013

Candice's Idol album will probably be total shit, not totally her fault, but her sophomore album, that might be actually really good.

by Anonymousreply 13705/19/2013

r126/129/130, please stop with your long-winded posts where you always act like you know so much and your opinion is the superior opinion to any and all others. You come across as a total ass. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 13805/19/2013

Candice has a beautiful voice and a great face.

WTF is "melisma" that a few (or just one?) posters in this thread refer to?

by Anonymousreply 13905/19/2013

Can't blame the producers for wanting to relive the glory days, when the show was routinely the most watched in America.

Will be interesting to see if they can return to the top. I'm doubtful...mostly because the novelty of the genre is over.

by Anonymousreply 14005/19/2013

[quote]Will be interesting to see if they can return to the top. I'm doubtful...mostly because the novelty of the genre is over.

The only way that's going to happen is if each week, the person voted off gets thrown into some sort of scenario straight from Running Man.

by Anonymousreply 14105/19/2013

Are they going to dump Seacrest's huge paycheck as well?

by Anonymousreply 14205/19/2013

[quote]WTF is "melisma" that a few (or just one?) posters in this thread refer to?

It's when singers fuck up a song by adding a yodel-like effect, extending a single note into many random silly annoying ones.

by Anonymousreply 14305/19/2013

The show was rigged this year for a black girl to win. That is why all the guys got voted off right away and also why Angie and Kree didn't win. When they are clearly so much better than Candice.

by Anonymousreply 14505/19/2013

r145, take your meds dear.

by Anonymousreply 14605/20/2013

Yeah, R145 is way off. It may be a preference of style but if you're willing to judge the singers solely on vocal skills and capacity, Candice was the best. All those nuances and beautiful tones to her voice was superior to Kree and Angie. She gave me goosebumps and is the only singer on the show who caused me to record her vocals to rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 14705/20/2013

Bye Whoriah and Dicki!

by Anonymousreply 14805/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!