Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My feet and ankles are swollen.

It's kidney failure, isn't it.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 5205/31/2013

I retired last year. After years of being on my feet a good ten hours a day, I have become very sedentary. Coupled with being lazy and ordering a lot of Chinese take out. I haven't gained a ton of weight but for the past two months my ankles and feet have become chronically swollen. The edema improves after a nights sleep but if I sit for a couple of hours I notice that the swelling is more pronounced. I don't salt my food but I do like to snack. I was wondering if I have poisoned myself with all that sodium in processed food and the MSG that is in Chinese food. I order from restaurants that claim not to use it but who knows if it's true. I have gone on those web med sites and it could be an indication of kidney disease and heart disease. Most of the recommendations call for increased activity, duh, elevating the legs and feet as much as possible and pressure hose. I haven't eaten any Chinese food in two weeks and I do see an improvement, although the problem still exists. I feel your pain, OP.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 205/10/2013

Any meds involved? They will swell your legs/feets up like a dirigible.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 305/10/2013

Its type 2 diabetes. Often one ankle will swell first. Cut out all white sugar. Get on meds. Lose weight.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 405/10/2013

Have your arteries checked.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 505/10/2013

See a doctor ASAP!

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 605/10/2013

At some point you just have to lower those heels for an entire weekend, Dawson.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 705/10/2013

Mmmmm, cankles.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 805/10/2013

It could be something as simple as congestive heart failure.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 905/10/2013

I know, r8. Every time I look down at my feet and ankles I think of Hillary.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1005/10/2013

I was wondering how long before the resident asshole on every thread showed up. You didn't disappoint, r9.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1105/10/2013

Gan green.

Amputate your ankles and feet immediately.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1205/10/2013

Used to happen to me occasionally. It went away when I stopped smoking cigs, doing drugs and drinking regularly.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1305/10/2013

Dropsy.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1405/10/2013

You are retaining water. It's either that time of the month, or you ate a lot of salty food.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1505/10/2013

Sodium! You ding dong. Chinese Food is loaded with salt and msg. Drink water. Walk. Eat fruits and veggies, not fast food

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1605/10/2013

This happened to me when I was at my top weight and it was the motivating factor to me marching to WW the next week.

I had been in the south at a funeral and standing for long periods of time in enclosed shoes. My feet became swollen for the first time in my life. It freaked me out.

I went online and found tons of swollen feet communities. YIKES! I was damned if I was joining their ranks. I did get some tips and those 2 nights I slept with my feet elevated and would lie down on the floor with my feet raised up against the wall.

Actually the swelling went down during the flight home. The swelling never returned but I did start with weight watchers the next week and ended up losing all the weight.

Losing weight is a cure for many, many ailments. Just do it!

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1705/10/2013

Me too - I have been on medication for some years for arthritis and even had a knew replacement operation about 18 months ago which did not really help at all, in fact that lower leg turned red afterwards and is still red now- they thought I had a blood clot initially which was alarming, then it was cellulitis (not cellulite!). It is not bothering me as such but now the other foot swells up.

Its back to the doctor next week again,for another look at it. I have been tested for diabetes etc as I also need to urinate a lot during the night (though I dont much during the day).

I was very active in my 50s and walked a lot and out late clubbing etc, so I imagined my 60s would be more of the same ...

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1805/10/2013

My feet swell but only because I'm wearing new shoes that pinch my feet. Maybe they fit a little too tight.

It's better to look good than to feel good :)

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 1905/10/2013

I'm going with r14's diagnosis because it sounds Victorian.

As I'm dying, I request that DL write my obit including the words; dropsy, mental illness, chiffon, peculiar,hijinks,trust fund and Liza.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2005/10/2013

There are lots of reasons why your feet could be swelling OP. None of which can be diagnosed over the internet. You need to go see a doctor.

The most likely explanation is that you have venous insufficiency. This means that the veins in your legs are a bit incompetent and don't return blood back up the leg very well when you have been sitting or standing for too long. The fluid in the blood is pushed out into the tisuess, hence the swelling. Do you have varicose veins?

The other main causes are your heart or your kidneys. You HAVE to see a doctor to rule both of those things out but don't start panicking unless you know that you have something panic about. Too many people read info from dumbasses on the internet and suddenly think they are dying when in reality it is something simple. Don't cause yourself unwarrented misery, go and see your doctor.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2105/10/2013

It's possible, OP.

Are you itching a lot too?

How is your blood pressure?

Are your eyes puffy a lot?

Do you find yourself getting up a lot at night to pee?

Do you sometimes find it hard to get the urine flowing when you do pee?

Any fatigue?

Hands swelling?

If you have any other weird shit happening along with the swollen ankles, you need to get some testing done to see if you have chronic kidney disease.

There is no cure for kidney disease, but its progression CAN be slowed down.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2205/10/2013

Something is wrong with your blood circulation at a minimum and you need to high tail it to a doctor

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2305/10/2013

Congratulations, OP! It's a girl.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2405/10/2013

R11. How do you decide which of these posts came from the resident asshole? There are so many choices.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2505/10/2013

Kidney disease or congestive heart failure.

Hopefully manageable, but definitely a shortened life expectancy.

You asked OP. Go to a doctor hon.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2605/10/2013

Ankle swelling happened to me at around age 40. My kidneys and heart were/are totally fine -- it was what R4 said -- Type 2 diabetes. Yes retaining water also has something to do with it. I lost 25 lbs and cut way back on my sodium all while maintaining as healthy blood sugar levels as I could, and my ankles rarely swell any more. But OP, run, don't walk to your doctor. Don't let a fear of what it might be let you procrastinate. Chances are, it's not as bad as what you're imagining and even if it is, finding out early gives you the best hope of fixing the problem and getting healthy.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2705/11/2013

Is it pitting or non pitting edema, OP?

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2805/11/2013

You probably just ate too many foods with too much sodium over the last couple of days, but just in case you're right, can I have your stuff?

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 2905/11/2013

All older people eventually require compression hose OP. It's nothing that kills them. But you should go to the doctor anyway in case it's PAD.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3005/11/2013

R18, your new knee from your knee replacement surgery did not help you walk a lot better and easier?

And it did not liberate from knee pain?

I'm surprised if you say that your new knee has not helped you to walk a lot easier and better.

If the knee has not made walking easier and better, why not?

I have the same severe arthritic problem in my knee which keeps me from being able to walk. (I haven't had knee replacement surgery which I need but am reluctant to have it done)

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3205/11/2013

Joan, I told you to ditch those ankle strap heels before you went shopping for your Spanish dinner.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3305/11/2013

Lucky for me, OP, I'm here to help. Here's what you do: Slather your feet and ankles with 30 weight motor oil then CAREFULLY wrap them tightly in aluminum foil. Prop your feet up for at least 4 hours. Do this 2 times daily.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3405/11/2013

I was on the scene when the Medi-Vac helicopter was hovering over OP's house. Of course, I was brave, if not teary-eyed as OP was lifted up in the basket. You can imagine the scene that ensued at the hospital when the OP was not given the shot.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3505/11/2013

Could also be tendonitis too OP, but def see a dr.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3605/11/2013

Lymphedema. Look it up.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3705/11/2013

Are yoiu a girl between 18 and 45?I'll help bring the swelling down and then I'll massage your feet.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3805/11/2013

I agree with R37. Lymphedema is a possible culprit.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 3905/11/2013

Lymphedema is a symptom, not a cause.

It sounds like alcoholic liver failure, which triggers all sorts of nasty kidney issues. Have you been experiencing a lot of nose bleeds lately, OP? Esophageal varices are terrible - you'll drown choking on your own blood as the arteries in your throat rip and collapse.

Good luck!

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4005/11/2013

OP here. I was being silly and flip when I created this thread, but I've been taking seriously your thoughts to heart.

Here's what I think might have happened. About 2 weeks I had a very mild stomach flu. My brother got me ginger ale (not sugar free) to help with my upset stomach.

I have low blood sugar, and have been very careful about avoiding refined sugars for over 30 years. I've been guzzling ginger ale since I was sick and didn't even think about about the sugar.

A few nights ago, I woke up with an intense sugar craving. I never have sugar cravings. If anything I crave garlicky things. That night I devoured a pint of Haagen Daz, and then ate an entire jar of kosher pickles. That's when the swelling started. I think I whacked up my system so am drinking water and no more pop.

If things don't return to normal I will call my doctor.

And r35 I have fallen in love with you.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4105/11/2013

[quote]but I've been taking seriously your thoughts to heart.

Oh. So it was a stroke.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4205/11/2013

It is clearly third trimester of pregnancy. How fat are you that you did not know you are pregnant?

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4305/11/2013

Start eatng foods that are natural diuretics like asparagus and grapefruit taken with caffeinated coffee. Do not stand in place or sit in place for long periods. Get up and walk. Lose weight, eliminate sodium from you diet and stop drinking alcohol and carbonated soft drinks. Water & green tea only. Who ever said stop with the sugar is right. But stop with the carbs, too. When you do sit keep your feet elevated. When you're at home wear compression socks and take one aspirin before bed time every night. Oh, eat lots of green veggies.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4405/11/2013

OP you have the two worst things: Standing on your feet too much at your job, and sitting too much now you've retired. This situation will bring about blood clots. You need to take care of it. You have some good advice on this thread. Use it.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4505/11/2013

R42 made me laugh. Stroke, indeed!

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4605/11/2013

You're pregnant

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4705/11/2013

I noticed today after my work out that my ankles were slightly swollen. I did over an hour on an elliptical. They weren't insanely swollen but the outside of the left foot had a marble-like shape next to the bone. I felt it and to my dismay there was a little fluid under it. The right ankle was slightly swollen near the same place only not nearly as much as the left. Aside from those two spots, there's no swelling.

Has this happened to anyone after working out? I have been working out twice a day lately (it helps me deal with stress). Am I overdoing it? I've also been drinking lots of water. Could this be it? I'm relatively health (don't smoke, do drugs and only drink a little bit on occasion). I don't have insurance or I'd see a doctor just to be safe.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4805/30/2013

OP, I'm not going to read the posts because of the urgency I feel at your symptom. My feet became extremely swollen, red and slightly warm at age 48 out of nowhere one day. I had not eaten anything salty and even when I am retaining fluid they had never gotten close to the size they were. Four days later I was in the hospital having a quadruple bypass. Please don't ignore this and hope it will go away! You might not be as lucky as I was.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 4905/31/2013

Your body is rejecting your penis. This always starts at the ankles and travels up your legs to choke off the testicles and penis. Not much you can do about it accept ride the wave. But you were not very attached to your penis in the first place, so this should work out quite nicely for you.

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 5005/31/2013

You might be related to Hillary

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 5105/31/2013

Are your affairs in order, at least?

by Don't sugar coat it. Tell it to me straight.reply 5205/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.