Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Homeless man’s dismal N.Y. housing blog goes viral

A week ago, The Worst Room launched on Tumblr with these unassuming words: "This is a blog created for me to share the craigslist postings I sift through on a daily basis trying to find decent, affordable housing in New York City."

Now, it's pretty well known by now that New York is an expensive place to live -- in fact, the most expensive U.S. city. In Manhattan, the cost of living is double the national average.

But Ryan Nethery's New York housing blog is going viral (even across the pond) because it puts visuals to those statistics, showing just what kind of living space you can expect on a modest budget. For those who live outside the city, it's pretty shocking.

Nethery's circumstances are compelling in their own right. A 25-year-old freelance cinematographer from Kentucky (see his work on Vimeo), he has lived in the city for five years -- and he's currently homeless. He keeps his stuff in a car his grandmother gave him, and mostly he crashes on the floors, couches and beds at friends' places, he tells Business Insider.

We've put together a slideshow pairing up the appalling home listings he's found with links to the original craigslist postings. You can also, of course, check out The Worst Room for more. We've emailed Nethery for comment, so we'll update this post if we hear back from him.

We wish you luck, Ryan. (And as he told New York magazine's Daily Intelligencer: "I am still looking for a decent place to live. If you have a room opening up in your house, or an apartment that is available, please feel free to e-mail me.")

And just in case anyone reading this is in the market for a freelance cinematographer, here's a reel of his work: (at link)

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013

I love the kitchen

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

And these places will rent out as long as there are idiots willing to pay for these 'rooms.'

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

Viral, it looks like you could catch the bird flu.

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2013

All bedrooms in NYC are required to have a window. A skylight doesn't count. It must be something that one can escape from in the event of a fire. Most of those are illegal. One of them is definitely an illegally partitioned room.

by Anonymousreply 405/10/2013

They're not necessarily "idiots", [r2]. When pretty much everyone is becoming a slumlord, as seems to be the case now, desperate people may have to take whatever they can get. These greedy assholes who expect people to live in disguting hovels and pay top dollar for the privilege need to shamed!

by Anonymousreply 505/10/2013

Yes, idiots, R5. What if all renters of these shabby apartments went on 'strike' and refused to rent? Will never happen, but guess what the rental market would do?

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013

I hope you never find yourself in that position [r2]. Right now the laws favour landlords, not tenants, or the most part. These people have to live somewhere, and if they refuse to pay their rent, they can and will be evicted. That is not being an idiot, I'm sorry. I cannot imagine anyone being happy to live like that and paying exorbitant rents if they felt they had a choice.

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2013

One of the big problems in NYC is that the vast majority of apartments are managed by a few companies. First there is no competition as even if three buildings are owned by different people the management co sets the rents. It is a virtual monopoly.

Second a great deal of the available housing is being warehoused. The excuse being that it is more cost effective to renovate numerous apartments in a building at one time than to do them one at a time.

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!