Since 1995

People who declaw their cats

Are they sociopaths?

by Anonymousreply 5905/11/2013

Yes, they suck!

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

They don't deserve to own a cat...

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

My former roommate had the cutest, most cuddly cats that were declawed when she adopted them.

She said that declawing cats is really unethical and that it's akin to chopping a human being's arms off at the elbows thus leaving the person virtually disabled.

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2013

r3, it would be more like being without fingernails, not arms.

by Anonymousreply 405/10/2013

It's illegal to declaw a cat in almost every place in the world except for the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013

It is like being without fingers, not fingernails.

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2013

I de-clawed my cat. I'd do it again.

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013

R4 & R7, she said it was like being without your forearms b/c cats need their claws for traction and to defend themselves. Without their claws, they're pretty defenseless and impaired.

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2013

You're removing an entire joint. It's not at all like removing their fingernails.

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2013

I'd rather lose my fingers than my balls.

by Anonymousreply 1105/10/2013

I hate cats.

by Anonymousreply 1305/10/2013

I wonder how many people here would think nothing of cutting a cat's balls off but would whine about the claws.

by Anonymousreply 1405/10/2013

I'm feeding a stray right now who is declawed. He doesn't come around every day but when he does he always looks gaunt- despite the piles of food I give him. Outdoor cats expend a tremendous amount of energy roaming around, and it doesn't take long for them to burn the last meal off.

Declawed cats can't catch prey. They can't climb or fight. They starve.

by Anonymousreply 1505/10/2013

DL-ers should be declawed.

by Anonymousreply 1605/10/2013

Go on R15- take him in and give him a home!

by Anonymousreply 1705/10/2013

Front declawed cats can still catch insects, lizards, mice if they have to.

by Anonymousreply 1805/10/2013

if a cat is going to be inside, always, what's wrong with it? they don't need to defend themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1905/10/2013

What vets remove when they declaw a cat is the equivalent of the top joints of human fingers (where the nails are). The cat can no longer cling to anything, and it's very difficult for them to jump onto a higher surface to escape dogs or predators.

So yes, I'd say it's a barbaric thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 2005/10/2013

This is absurd. My mother has a Himalayan and it's front claws were removed. What's the big deal? My mom ain't having her Brunschwig & Fils shred to shit by some damn feline.

by Anonymousreply 2105/10/2013

R15, so some cunt declawed their cat and then left it outside to fend for itself? Wow. That's harsh. Take in the kitty!

by Anonymousreply 2205/10/2013

My sister had two precious kittens, and her husband demanded they be declawed because he was afraid his leather furniture was going to be damaged.

And he was so cheap he had a friend of his who was a vet's assistant do it. They ended up with infections and gangrene set in. Those kitties suffered terribly. I finally pushed my way into the house and grabbed them and took them to my vet, a wonderful and loving person. She wept when she saw what had happened. And the only way to save their lives was to amputate their legs down to the elbow-knee. It was horrible.

I had a fundraiser at my work for the therapy they needed, it was so expensive. And then slowly I worked with them. I am happy to report that they now get around okay, walking on their nubs pretty well and even playing. They fall over a lot, and can't get righted without help.

My sister won't speak to me and is still threatening to sue me and have me arrested for theft. But I am happy to report that her husband, who is a smoker, dropped a lit cigar on his stupid couch, my brother said.

So don't declaw your pets. It causes heartache, family trouble, limb loss and a lot of crying. A lot of crying.

by Anonymousreply 2305/10/2013

R20, I recued a cat who came to me declawed. He jumps on the refrigerator, and cupboards which are very high every day with no problems. It's true he can't climb a tree or defend himself well.

by Anonymousreply 2405/10/2013

I think, at least hope, people are coming around on the idea declawing is cruel. It wasn't given much thought a generation or two ago, but many cat owners and lovers now find the practice abhorrent. Unfortunately as shelter volunteer, I still talk to some potential adopters who think declawing is no big deal.

Declawing and letting a cat outdoors is incredibly cruel and thoughtless. The cat is basically unable to fend for itself. For the most part, a declawed cat is unable to defend itself against attackers, catch food and climb away from danger. Yes, a declawed cat may be able to do all of those things, but at a very reduced rate which makes survival that much more difficult. The odds are against even fully clawed outdoor cats, it's much, much worse for a declawed cat.

by Anonymousreply 2505/10/2013

You're my hero, R23.

by Anonymousreply 2605/10/2013

R23, good for you. If your dim bulb sister sues you, I hope you report her husband for animal cruelty.

I've heard many cats' personalities change when they are declawed. They become withdrawn, distant and/or cranky. Understandably.

by Anonymousreply 2705/10/2013

Some are, but most are just ignorant fools like R4.

by Anonymousreply 2805/10/2013

If you people were about 5 inches tall you'd have a lot less sympathy for cats.

by Anonymousreply 2905/10/2013

R4, it would be like chopping the last segment of your fingers off. Actually, it is much worse. Because, if cats can't use their claws, they will develope muscle atrophy in their lower extremities.

by Anonymousreply 3005/10/2013

Oh please, drama queen at R23.

Both of our cats are de-clawed. The notion that they cannot jump onto high places is poppycock. We have a minstrel's gallery that overlooks our great room. The cats jump on the ledge from the floor all of the time. Not once has one tumbled the 20 feet to the floor. Both of our cats are healthy and happy. They have no problems chasing moths or flies if one manages to get into the house. They are, however, strictly house cats.

by Anonymousreply 3105/10/2013

It's not that hard to train a kitten to allow you to clip her nails if you're careful and don't hurt her. There are also these new inventions called scratching posts that are made just for cats to scratch. What they like better are those cheap cardboard scratchers that you can pour catnip over and recycle and replace periodically.

My cat lived to 20 with all her claws and did not destroy things because of the above.

by Anonymousreply 3205/10/2013

They now can de-claw by laser. I took my cat in on Friday and picked her up on Monday. She was immediately active and showed no side effects at all from the procedure.

by Anonymousreply 3305/10/2013

[quote]My sister won't speak to me and is still threatening to sue me and have me arrested for theft.

Sounds like you and the cats are far better off without her and her shit of a husband.

by Anonymousreply 3405/10/2013

You're a dick, R31. Your cats aren't happy. They hate you.

Even my right wing Republicunt sister regret having her cat declawed after she saw how inhumane it was.

I clip my cats nails with the same clippers I use to trim my nails. She has an awesome scratching post and she hasn't ruined anything of mine.

by Anonymousreply 3605/10/2013

What about all the birds and baby squirrels those nasty felines kill for sport? If you really like cats, they should be kept indoors instead of allowing them to roam the neighborhood terrorizing bird feeders and ultimately getting run over by a car. I don't get cat owners.

by Anonymousreply 3705/10/2013

Our Siamese cats are 11 yrs old now, and we declawed them when they were about 6-7 months old. They healed in a couple of weeks and have never had a problem.

We've never let them outside. They mostly sleep in the sun now, but they used to jump all over the damned place even to the top of the fridge. So no ill effects from it.

I do believe that you should never declaw a cat who spends time outdoors. That is just wrong. You are leaving them defenseless.

by Anonymousreply 3805/10/2013

Why R35? Because we saved a pair of de-clawed cats from a kill shelter?

If you want to see fucked-up, look in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 3905/10/2013

Yep, R32. I clip my cats every two weeks or so. I know it's time to clip when it starts to hurt when they knead my lap or tummy.

Like all things with cats, you've got to slowly introduce the new routine or activity. And like all things with cats, there will be some cats that won't take to it regardless of your efforts. Luckily for me, my cats tolerate the nail clipper. I have to do it quick, but I can usually get all 4 paws trimmed before they squirm away.

My cats usually use the scratchy posts, but they occasionally go for the sofa and mattress. Because their claws are trimmed, the damage on the mattress is not noticeable and it's minimal on the sofa.

by Anonymousreply 4005/10/2013

R36, they do not hate us. They don't love us either. Cats are incapable of either emotion. Indeed, when a cat sees its owner, the part of the brain that is associated with food is the part that becomes active. They both love to sit on our laps and be scratched in all the right places. That is as close to love as any cat will get.

by Anonymousreply 4105/10/2013

R33, lasering "may" be easier on the cats but that doesn't address the fact that your cats no longer have their claws. It's not like losing your appendix, claws are vital to cats and integral to their most basic behavior.

by Anonymousreply 4205/10/2013

My cat does not scratch my furniture. He has a scratching post and it has been good enough for him for the last 12 years of his life.

Even if he does scratch my furniture, I will never declaw him. His well-being is far more important to me than a piece of furniture. We're talking about a sentient creature who is undergoing unnecessary amputations.

It's not right to do that.

by Anonymousreply 4305/10/2013

Just like parents who circumcise their sons, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4405/10/2013

r41 are you a zoologist or an expert in cat behavior? How the hell would you know if they feel love or not?

by Anonymousreply 4505/10/2013

[quote][R36], they do not hate us. They don't love us either.

Rather like your smug, self assured relationship.

As for R44, oh you poor deluded anti-circ troll. I love my cut dick thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4605/10/2013

You just knew some dumbfuck like r44 with that agenda would show up.

by Anonymousreply 4705/10/2013

My mom has diabetes and had to have her cat declawed because it was attacking her feet when playing. She regrets it, but any one who knows anything about diabetes knows that injuries to your feet are dangerous. The cat is strictly indoors and got over it, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 4805/10/2013

I took in a declawed cat years ago. She did everything my other cats did, except that my dogs were far more afraid of her than they were of my other cats. I don't know how she did it, but from the first day she came into our home, the dogs stood back and gave her a wide berth. I don't let any of my cats go outside, and that's part of the reason I got her when her previous owner died.

by Anonymousreply 4905/10/2013

R39 Why didn't you say they were rescued, already declawed cats at the beginning?

by Anonymousreply 5005/10/2013

Why should he have to r50?

by Anonymousreply 5105/10/2013

This doesn't pertain to my case, but has there been any progress in fitting victims of declawing with artificial nails? I know they rip out the underlying structures for retraction, but I think a kitty would just feel more whole if something reconstructive could be done.

by Anonymousreply 5205/10/2013

With the number of unwanted cats being put down every year, I feel that if declawing is what makes someone keep their pet, then I`m all for it.

by Anonymousreply 5305/10/2013

Good point, R53. So is there a way that the claws from cats that have sadly been put down could be used to restore claws to cats that have been declawed? Maybe paw transplants? For many of us price would be no object, to see our cats restored to their natural state.

by Anonymousreply 5405/10/2013

I would imagine that those who buy the home-declawing kit from HSN are probably psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 5505/11/2013

[quote]I finally pushed my way into the house and grabbed them and took them to my vet, a wonderful and loving person. She wept when she saw what had happened. And the only way to save their lives was to amputate their legs down to the elbow-knee. It was horrible. I had a fundraiser at my work for the therapy they needed, it was so expensive. And then slowly I worked with them. I am happy to report that they now get around okay, walking on their nubs pretty well and even playing. They fall over a lot, and can't get righted without help.

None of this ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 5605/11/2013

[quote]I would imagine that those who buy the home-declawing kit from HSN are probably psychopaths.

No, just dollar-foolish. It's so much cheaper to do it with wire-cutters and a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 5705/11/2013

[quote]I'm feeding a stray right now who is declawed

This is clearly not a feral cat. Get him to a shelter.

by Anonymousreply 5805/11/2013

I'm against declawing, but R23 never happened.

by Anonymousreply 5905/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.