Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

‘Southland’ Cancelled After Five Seasons

TNT’s ‘Southland’ Cancelled After Five Seasons

BY NELLIE ANDREEVA | Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:25pm PDT

It is the end of the road for Southland after five seasons, one on NBC and four on TNT. The critically praised cop show has been a source of pride for TNT brass who rescued the series after NBC dropped it before Season 2.

“TNT has made the difficult decision not to renew Southland for another season,” the network said in a statement. “We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made.”

Southland most recently drew 1.8 million viewers for its fifth-season finale. With the end near, three of the show’s four main actors — Ben McKenzie, Regina King and Shawn Hatosy — booked pilots, with McKenzie playing the male lead in a drama produced by Southland studio and TNT sibling WBTV. There had been talk about about doing a movie or four-hour mini wrapping the story but insiders say the chances are slim as the economics of that would be hard to pull off. Southland‘s fifth-season finale now serves as a fitting series finale with the poignant title “Reckoning”. It came from two of the series’ three executive producers, written by Jonathan Lisco and directed by Chris Chulack, who also helmed the pilot.

With Dallas renewed and Southland cancelled, the only TNT series awaiting its fate is Monday Mornings, which is not expected to make it.

by Anonymousreply 2605/11/2013

This sucks. It was the best drama on tv.

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

Is The Chaf still on it?

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2013

Oops. I meant The Chad.

by Anonymousreply 405/10/2013

I'll gladly comfort McKenzie and Hatosy in their hour of need. Would love a dark ginger threeway.

by Anonymousreply 505/10/2013

I'm very disappointed, it was the most realistic cop show on tv and the storylines and actors were top notch. Stupid move by TNT.

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013

"Stupid move by TNT."

Why? It had poor ratings. Ratings were down from last season. If you were a network exec you would cancel it, too. They lose money by keeping ratings losers on the air. It had a good run. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2013

Stopped watching after season 3.

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013

Well I'm suck of having to keep getting over great shows being cancelled while the lousy ones stick around forever.

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2013

They cancel this, yet the tired, shitty SVU gets to live another season? Danny Pino tries earnestly, but clearly everyone else is just showing up to collect a paycheck at this point. I stopped watching midpoint this past season.

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2013

SVU is so fake and sensationalistic compared to Southland.

by Anonymousreply 1105/10/2013

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 1205/10/2013

TNT wasn't ever really behind this show. They hardly ever repeated it during the week, except at 3 AM. Shows like USA's Psych, Suits and Royal Pains are repeated all the time and people get a chance to watch the shows, like them and follow them. TNT would show Soutland only one night a week, during the season. Out of season, they didn't show it

by Anonymousreply 1305/10/2013

I hope Regina King finds another gig. She's so good in this show.

by Anonymousreply 1405/10/2013

I want Michael Cudlitz in me QUITE deeply.

by Anonymousreply 1505/10/2013

R13 why exactly would they show repeats of a low rated tv show? A network is still a business...not a charity.

by Anonymousreply 1605/10/2013

Regina king deserves her own show...sitcom or drama. If she were white every network would be fighting for her.

by Anonymousreply 1705/10/2013

R17, so true. I've loved her since her star-making turn on Jerry Maguire. SHE was the one who should have gotten an Oscar for her performance, NOT Cuba Gooding.

by Anonymousreply 1805/10/2013

Regina King, Shawn Hatosy, and Ben Mackenzie all had already booked other pilots. I just want Michael Cudlitz on my screen.

I'm pissed.

by Anonymousreply 1905/10/2013

"They cancel this, yet the tired, shitty SVU gets to live another season?"

It is ratings, not quality, that determines what stays or goes. SVU does okay by NBC standards, which is why it's still on the air. Southland isn't even doing well by TNT's standards anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2005/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 2105/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 2205/10/2013

The pilots that McKenzie and Hatosy shot were not picked up.

This sucks majorly.

by Anonymousreply 2305/10/2013

Can't they pick up where they left off, with Cudlitz surviving, injured, but recovering, and build a show around an ex-cop, who becomes a gay PI, or opens his own bar, where cops come in ? I want that big sexy bear back.

by Anonymousreply 2405/11/2013

I wish they had ended the series differently, nothing can be done about it now. Sorry to see one of my favorite TV shows killed off, too. Bummer. Stop the sex jokes, assholes. This isn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 2505/11/2013

This sucks!

by Anonymousreply 2605/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!