Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you feel about people who's success was a result of being parasitic

Take for example, people who marry other people who are higher up than they are and they use the fact that they are related to this powerful person to try to advance their careers. Whenever I meet or see these types of people, I'm disgusted.

by Anonymousreply 2505/12/2013

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

[quote] Whenever I meet or see these types of people, I'm disgusted.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

Aside from OP's grammar, I understand where he is coming from.

My ex is a fucking parasite. If it weren't for a rich relative bankrolling him, he'd be out in the street with the rest of the drunks and drug addicts.

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 405/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 505/10/2013

Everyone is parasitic in this day and age.

It's just a matter of what particular point sets each person off.

Very, very few people can actually do their own thing according to their own principles. They suck off some rancid teat or other, corporate or personal.

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013

R6 is absolutely right.

But how do I feel? I notice they are ambitious people, doing all they can to give themselves a good life. It's the republican dream. Oh wait, I know I'm supposed to call it the american dream, but that dream seems to be a lot about offloading work onto 'lesser' people so a few can rise up. Other than that ugly aspect, noone can help where they're from, so why would I judge it unless they were assholes? People can only impact where they're headed.

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2013

Don't judge.

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013

The Paterno family

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2013

but she just wouldn't listen.

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2013

OP, nothing you can do about it. Be pleasant and move on. Don't burn bridges cause these ARE the people who could end up as your boss - that's the sad reality. They could even end up in position to help you. I'm not saying kiss anyone's ass - just be a decent person.

It's a waste of time to obsess over them - it just keeps you from focusing on yourself and your future.

by Anonymousreply 1105/10/2013

Excellent advice, r11.

by Anonymousreply 1205/10/2013

I agree with R11 -- he/she is someone whose advice is worth heeding.

OP, start by focusing on how & when (& when not) to use apostrophes & you'll be a better person for it.

by Anonymousreply 1305/10/2013

We love it!

by Anonymousreply 1405/10/2013

When I see people like that, I generally think that they're more committed to advancement than I am.

Face it, hard work and expertise isn't what gets you promotion after promotion (hard work just gets you more hard work), impressing people with power is what brings you up in the world. Yes, building a relationship with someone who can do you good may be exploitive, manipulative, parasitic, or downright creepy, but that's what it takes to really climb these days.

by Anonymousreply 1505/11/2013

I think people who've made it this way should be celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 1605/11/2013

I guess my take is a little different. For every "climber" there is someone allowing themselves to be used.

My question is: What is THAT person's psychological make up?

by Anonymousreply 1705/11/2013

Well, since you are apparently a social climbing user, you tell us what that person's psychological makeup is. How do you exploit those people to advance yourself?

by Anonymousreply 1805/11/2013

R11 and R15 are exactly correct.

by Anonymousreply 1905/11/2013

Just worry about yourself and your own path,OP, and stop obsessing over how others got to where they are. It'll do you no damn good.

by Anonymousreply 2005/11/2013

Is this another Heath Ledger thread?

by Anonymousreply 2105/11/2013

I thought about this when I watched Beth Stern's show yesterday (she is Howard Stern's wife). She was so awkward and uncomfortable on camera. She landed the older millionaire, and thinks that she can have her own show all of a sudden....weird.

by Anonymousreply 2205/11/2013

Money is money no matter where it comes from, as long as it's legal. We all have to eat and pay our bills. I'm sure OP and other unfortunate souls who have to work 8-5 M-F was given an inheritance by a wealthy relative, s/he would gladly accept it without reservations.

These "parasites" don't really care what you think of them, OP. They're too busy grabbing the next flight to Costa Rica.

by Anonymousreply 2305/11/2013

There's currently a guy who has just about legitimatized himself, looking to become an all around guru like Tony Robbins. He dispenses advice and writes books and is on tv, but has zero education, training, experience, scholarly writings, field work, or even volunteer work in his field. What he has is a well-connected rich Jewish boyfriend who introduced him to lots of famous people. Nobody has been smart enough to even ask about his training, education or credentials! Unbelievable!

by Anonymousreply 2405/11/2013

LOL R21, that's exactly what I thought when I read this.

by Anonymousreply 2505/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!