Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Twenty-Nine Pennsylvania Lawmakers Back Proposed Gay Marriage Ban

Twenty-Nine Pennsylvania Lawmakers Back Proposed Gay Marriage Ban

BY ON TOP MAGAZINE STAFF; PUBLISHED: MAY 10, 2013

Twenty-nine Republican lawmakers have co-sponsored a resolution that seeks to ban gay marriage in Pennsylvania.

On Tuesday, Pennsylvania State Representative Daryl Metcalfe reintroduced a constitutional amendment which seeks to define marriage as a heterosexual union.

“Pennsylvania does not need to wait for the United States Supreme Court to rule on what natural law already declares as self-evident,” Metcalfe said in a statement. “Marriage is a sacred bond that can only be fulfilled by one man and one woman, as established by God. Final passage of my legislation will allow state lawmakers to exercise their rightful responsibility and obligation to uphold the rule of law and the will of the people.”

“The definition of marriage as 'the union of one man and one woman,' defended and upheld by this legislation, is the traditional definition of marriage that has been recognized and accepted throughout history and the world for centuries. Neither homosexual special interests gathered under the immoral umbrella of the ACLU, nor the Obama administration's Department of Justice or any activist court should decide this critical issue for our commonwealth,” he added.

House Bill 1349 has been assigned to the House State Government Committee, which Metcalfe chairs.

Citing a large number of amendments attached to the bill, Metcalfe put off debate on the measure last year.

The Philadelphia Gay News reported that the measure has lost significant support when compared to last year's version, which was introduced with 35 co-sponsors.

The measure requires approval from two consecutive sessions of the state legislature before seeking voter approval. The earliest it could reach the ballot box is 2015.

by Anonymousreply 1305/10/2013

But...........

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

For all intents and purposes, Pennsylvania is basically an extension of the deep south.

I know a lot of Philly gays like to think they're living a liberal, cosmopolitan city, but the truth is large parts of the city are dominated by racist, homophobic white ethnic groups and homophobic blacks and Latinos. So it's hardly better than the rest of the state.

The only real liberal parts of PA are those counties surrounding Philly, particularly Montgomery County and sections of Allegheny County (PGH).

When you couple that with the influence the Catholic Church has on the PA legislature, it will be a long, long time before gays have equal rights in PA.

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

Oh, please, OP. I'm from PA and I recently returned here, and I was shocked to realize that, if anything, PA has become MORE conservative in the twenty years I've been gone.

Believe me, if it weren't for Philly, this state would be like Oklahoma with Amish.

PA will be one of the LAST states to legalize marijuana or grant gay marriages -- I guarantee it, along with Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Missouri, Indiana, and the Carolinas.

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2013

R3,

Don't use any of your money for your bet.

by Anonymousreply 505/10/2013

So odd... I've just been reading (another) anti-British thread on DL where people queue up to say how awful the UK is compared to the USA, then I find this.

It's like parts of the USA are run by a sort of Christian Taliban. So bigoted and primitive.

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013

It's going to be tough for Penn to make Gay marriage legal. Defintely most conservative state from Maryland up to Maine. Penn will be last state norteast to legalize gay marriage. Every other state in that region have backed gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2013

Besides new jersey because Fat Ass Christie vetoed gay marriage last year, saying not on his watch.

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013

It's weird how PA is surrounded by states to its north and its south, that now support gay marriage.

Why does it continue to be a pocket of ignorance?

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2013

Another anti-British thread? Bitch please. If you should point that finger at anyone it's them, along with the French, who constantly say they are better then us...then news come out about anti-gay laws and beatings.

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2013

Penn voters really bought into the whole Repug propaganda campaign against the Dems a few years ago, resulting in a Repug governor (Corbett), a Repug senator (Toomey), and an entirely Repug state legislature. So there you go, until the Dems start winning again in Pennsylvania (and they will eventually) there will be no progress on gay rights whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 1105/10/2013

[quote]“Pennsylvania does not need to wait for the United States Supreme Court to rule on what natural law already declares as self-evident,” Metcalfe said in a statement. “Marriage is a sacred bond that can only be fulfilled by one man and one woman, as established by God.”

This statement fundamentally violates the establishment clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

by Anonymousreply 1205/10/2013

R3 I believe you. No offense, but some of the biggest assholes I've ever met were from PA, so it doesn't surprise me that they're super conservative.

by Anonymousreply 1305/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.