Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Charlie Crist Congratulates Delaware, Rhode Island On Gay Marriage

Charlie Crist Congratulates Delaware, Rhode Island On Gay Marriage

BY ON TOP MAGAZINE STAFF; PUBLISHED: MAY 10, 2013

Former Florida Governor Charlie Crist on Thursday congratulated Delaware and Rhode Island for legalizing gay marriage.

“Some great news: On Tuesday, Delaware became the 11th state to allow marriage equality. And just a few days ago, Rhode Island adopted a similar measure, which followed victories last fall in Maine, Maryland and Washington. I most certainly support marriage equality in Florida and look forward to the day it happens here,” Crist wrote in a Facebook post.

In 2006, Crist signed a petition in favor of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a heterosexual union in Florida.

Last December, the former Republican governor who made an unsuccessful 2010 bid for the Senate as an independent officially became a Democrat.

Crist, who has long denied rumors that he's gay, said his decision was based on the GOP's shift to the right.

“What changed is the leadership of the Republican Party. As I said at the [DNC] convention, I didn't leave the Republican Party, it left me. Whether the issue was immigration, or education, or you name it – the environment. I feel at home now,” he said.

Shortly after switching political allegiances, Crist said he regretted signing that petition in 2006 but stopped short of endorsing marriage equality.

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

[quote]Crist, who has long denied rumors that he's gay, said his decision was based on the GOP's shift to the right.

Oh please.

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

When is HIS gay marriage?

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.