Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dems vs. Repubs

So what is it that truly defines the difference between the two parties? I mean, there are lots of individual differences (abortion, capital punishment, gay rights) that generally are divisive. However, these issues don't define the parties, and some often cross party lines on these social issues.

So what distinguishes Democrats from Republicans? How did this dual party develop? I don't want a history lesson and I don't want to Google it. I'm curious to know if someone here can give a brief answer that truly defines it.

Go.

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013

Not saying it's good or bad, but Dems usually want more govt where Repubs want less.

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

I don't know about that r1. Both want government. Repubs just want to use the government to funnel money to corporations and the wealthy few that profit most for them. Some Dems do this too, but if it's a matter of degree, the Repubs are far worse.

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

In our fucked up false-equivalency posturing country, the Dems have the cover to be reactionarily conservative when they want to be and the Repubs have the cover to be somewhat liberal when they so choose (the latter with one major caveat: at least they do when they aren't in tea party run primary-you to hell districts).

Unfortunately, the Repubs tend to exercise this privilege less than the Dems do.

Between all of this there are about 6 wrongs which don't add up to a right.

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2013

Democrats are dicks and Republicans are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 405/10/2013

They are both rife with corruption and entitlement. Grasping politicians on both sides warp our perceptions and general standard of living. In this country, if you're not rich, good luck to you. Nothing matter$ to either party but the bottom line

by Anonymousreply 505/10/2013

r1 observation is shallow at best and erroneous at worst.

The Republicans want gov't intervention to enforce their idea of morality. On the issue of gays, they want to amend the Constitution to state specifically that marriage is between a man and a woman. Since they haven't been able to accomplish this on a federal level, some states they have already amended the state Constitution. In VA, Attorney General wanted a court to uphold sodomy laws.

On the issue of abortion, the GOP are employing all kinds of governmental power to basically destroy abortion clinics. We all know about forced ultrasounds; and the attempt

How about religion? Passing laws that would allow public schools to teach creationism. Happening right now in LA.

So many other things but this post is already too long.

GOP love the government overreach. They just want the gov't out of their pickets.

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.