Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Watch: First Trailer For 'August: Osage County' Starring Meryl Streep & Julia Roberts

Cue DL explosion

by Anonymousreply 9105/11/2013

Couldn't Debbie Reynolds have played Streep's role?

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

It looks like a Lifetime movie to me.

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

Oscar #4

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2013

Oh, god. That made it look 'uplifting,' for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 505/10/2013

I was thinking the same R5. This story is bleak.

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013

Looked great. Can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2013

Since Roberts is in it, I won't be seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013

Wow, it looks pretty bad. And I was holding out hope. It was just miscast all across the board, starting with Streep. She seems so overly mannered in the trailer, and I'm usually a fan.

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2013

That's some cast and Julia, than goodness, is just one (I have always had a hard time watching her). She does have a knack for playing Southern women though. Streep looks to be mining another authentic character. She really is extraordinary. Hope it's good. We need more good movies.

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2013

Lifetime? (R2).

It looks like an Oxygen original!

And I love Meryl and like the play, but that is one dull trailer.

by Anonymousreply 1105/10/2013

Amy Morton owns Barbara. We all have her, "Eat the fish bitch!" and "I'm running things now!" lines forever emblazoned in our memories. If even Roberts is serviceable to good, how will we be able to put Morton's performance out of our minds?

by Anonymousreply 1205/10/2013

I would give it a chance, it looks good and the performances, even Julia, who's fame usually over shadows almost anything she does, seem above par.

I love Sam Shepherd btw. What a fucking beauty he was in his youth, bad teeth and all.

by Anonymousreply 1305/10/2013

[quote] If even Roberts is serviceable to good, how will we be able to put Morton's performance out of our minds?

Outside of NY, middle America doesn't even know who Amy Morton is

by Anonymousreply 1405/10/2013

Looks pretty bad. Sorry about that. WTF is my Queen Meryl doing?

by Anonymousreply 1505/10/2013

OP

I guess I'm an imbecile because I can't figure out how to make the trailer play.

Help, anyone ? What do I click on ?

by Anonymousreply 1705/10/2013

When is Julia's mole going to get cancerous?

by Anonymousreply 1805/10/2013

Was Sandy not available? Was she lost in space? We better get the Julia smile or else!

by Anonymousreply 1905/10/2013

I think I'm getting tired of me. Didn't I use that accent already in Silkwood?

by Anonymousreply 2005/10/2013

Hate The Cuntess Moder so won't be seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 2105/10/2013

You guys are so gullible. All the takes you hate they will replace in the final film. Early trailers are to market films and to test audience reactions. This film does not come out until November.

by Anonymousreply 2205/10/2013

She's never looked better!

by Anonymousreply 2305/10/2013

Horrid

by Anonymousreply 2405/10/2013

That's supposed to be an Oscar winning performance from Streep?

by Anonymousreply 2505/10/2013

Wow! That...does not look good.

by Anonymousreply 2605/10/2013

"August: Osage County"? That's the title of the movie? Wow, that's a shitty title.

by Anonymousreply 2705/10/2013

Yeah, what a terrible title R27! A hit Tony and Pulitzer Prize winning play that everyone knows and loves. Why didn't they change the title to be purposely obtuse.

Moron.

Amy Morton IS a star. Nominated again this year for Virginia Woolf, and she deserves to win too. Her line readings are indelibly etched in our collective consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 2805/10/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2905/10/2013

They need to learn how to sell this film with Julia Roberts, and I don't envy that task since she is no longer golden. Laura Linney would have lightened the acting void load by not only helping but modulating Meryl? I sense a clashing of skill level and uncertainty around how to present Julia Roberts in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 3005/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 3105/10/2013

I HATED the trite and television-obsessed play. Awful. Only Streep could get me to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 3205/10/2013

Oh this will make money if it's good. That still remains a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 3305/10/2013

[quote]Amy Morton IS a star

Really? Most of the world outside of Broadway and Chicago theatre have no idea who she is.

[quote]Her line readings are indelibly etched in our collective consciousness.

most of us never saw her

by Anonymousreply 3405/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 3505/10/2013

She played the role Julia Roberts is playing in the movie on stage in the original company.

by Anonymousreply 3605/10/2013

Here's a shot of Amy Morton in the play, with Phylicia Rashad(!!) as the mom.

by Anonymousreply 3705/10/2013

The film will be successful, and Meryl will win her fourth Oscar thanks to Harvey. Let's not even debate it. It's a done deal. zzzz

by Anonymousreply 3805/11/2013

Is this a mind fuck like the Hunger Games where you don't see the arena in the trailer? Pardon my French, but I just see television in front of my eyes. Please change to Mike Nichols and start over.

by Anonymousreply 3905/11/2013

r39, I just don't get you.

by Anonymousreply 4005/11/2013

If your definition of a TV movie is one where nothing blows up and is a drama focused on a dysfunctional family, then it's a TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 4105/11/2013

Erm, R28? Not everyone loves AOC. It's just a soap opera in the style of Sam Shepard.

by Anonymousreply 4305/11/2013

Amy Morton played it in London too with the entire original cast for a season at The National. It was so-so.

by Anonymousreply 4405/11/2013

I can't stand Julia Roberts, but I thought she seems good in that trailer. (natural, sincere, not-over-acting)

I love, love Meryl, but I thought she was horrible in that trailer (mannered, boring, self-conscious.)

by Anonymousreply 4505/11/2013

Meryl appears to be channeling Anne Sexton mixed with Shirley Maclaine.

Why all the hate for Julia Roberts? I like her.

I like Juliette Lewis too. Don't bother to criticize me.

Give us some decent line readings, and this should be a good film.

By the trailer, Streep could possibly win her first Razzie, not another Oscar.

I am not so contrary to not admit Meryl's sometimes greatness, but it has not been in evidence for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 4605/11/2013

My thoughts:

[quote]They need to learn how to sell this film with Julia Roberts, and I don't envy that task since she is no longer golden. Laura Linney would have lightened the acting void load by not only helping but modulating Meryl? I sense a clashing of skill level and uncertainty around how to present Julia Roberts in 2013.

I can't wait for Streep's fourth Oscar, whenever it is.

by Anonymousreply 4705/11/2013

I haven't seen the play, so could those who have please tell me whether the dialogue in the trailer is representative of the wit and originality of the script? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 4805/11/2013

Phylicia Rashad was a hoot in the play. Very very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 4905/11/2013

Isn't the play supposed to be nasty and rough? The preview makes it look like a family situation comedy. Streep looks interesting though.

And why isn't Benedict Cumberbatch given any credit during the sequence?

by Anonymousreply 5005/11/2013

I can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 5105/11/2013

[quote]And why isn't Benedict Cumberbatch given any credit during the sequence?

Who?

by Anonymousreply 5205/11/2013

Is Sam wearing dentures now?

by Anonymousreply 5305/11/2013

This looks like the stuff Miramax and Rudin used to crank out in the mid 90s. Very traditional, heavy on acting names, pedestrian.

Streep is seriously veering into overacting territory.

by Anonymousreply 5405/11/2013

I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to judge based on a 2 min trailer. I remember hating the teaser trailers for "Bridges of Madison County" and "The Iron Lady" and Streep was spectacular in both of those films.

by Anonymousreply 5505/11/2013

Roberts plays Southern women well? Clearly you need to watch Steel Magnolias again.

by Anonymousreply 5605/11/2013

Roberts is to acting, what polyester is to food.

by Anonymousreply 5705/11/2013

Was she spectacular? No - she was good in the former, a glazed ham in the latter.

by Anonymousreply 5805/11/2013

Streep creates hysteria. The trailer is just a tiny glimpse of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5905/11/2013

Does this mean we have to hear screaming about Meryl getting another Oscar for a whole other year? I love Meryl as much as the next gay, but this whole thing is getting a little tiring.

I saw the show and loved it, and as soon as I heard the announcement of Meryl I thought "miscast." This trailer does not change that opinion.

by Anonymousreply 6005/11/2013

[quote]I saw the show and loved it, and as soon as I heard the announcement of Meryl I thought "miscast." This trailer does not change that opinion.

I've never seen the play and my knowledge of the movie's plot is at best, rudimentary. Could you explain to me how she's miscast? Too young to be Roberts' mother?

by Anonymousreply 6105/11/2013

What I'll say is this, r61. Maybe the show has just put an idea of this woman in my head, but she is a small, bitter, acerbic, pill-popping woman. When I found out they were doing a movie version I was thinking someone like Judy Davis would be perfect. Someone with a very hard edge, small frame, etc., etc. Though I *knew* that they'd get Meryl. Just because she *can* do everything doesn't always mean she's the best for the role.

by Anonymousreply 6205/11/2013

Thanks, R62. But I'd never watch a movie with Davis in it, I'm certain Streep can pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 6305/11/2013

The trailer is designed to get the masses interested in the movie, not a bunch of bitter theater queens or Judy Davis fans.

by Anonymousreply 6405/11/2013

[quote]Judy Davis fans

Do such things exist?

by Anonymousreply 6505/11/2013

They should rename this shit.

by Anonymousreply 6605/11/2013

Judy Davis can act circles around Streep. M is not capable of this:

by Anonymousreply 6705/11/2013

"I'm thrilled at having Judy Davis to play opposite. I think she's the top actress in the world."

by Anonymousreply 6805/11/2013

"Working with Judy Davis, you're working with the best there is so you have to come up to whatever she's doing."

by Anonymousreply 6905/11/2013

r65

Yes there are Judy Davis fans. Meryl Streep for one.

Another charming Meryl acceptance speech linked. Damn her, she is so good at that too.

by Anonymousreply 7005/11/2013

[quote]M is not capable of this:

You're right there. That's hammier than a butcher's shop.

by Anonymousreply 7105/11/2013

Regarding Davis, I wrote this before:

"I know. I was shocked that she said that. I wonder if it was just a nice compliment to Davis, as she gave to all the other nominees. Like how when asked if Katharine Hepburn was an influence she politely said yes. Even if she did think it was a good performance, to say it was "the best put on film", sounds like an overstatement. Especially considering her own far superior performances.

I've said before, I think there is a case of "The Emperors New Clothes". I appear to be the only one who thinks Davis is awful. I still don't know what was so great about it. She looked nothing like Garland, sounded nothing like Garland, was far too old, didn't capture her spirit. If I didn't know she was supposed to be playing Garland I would never have guessed. It was like a bad parody, really, "PunchyPlayers" do her voice better.

Streep as Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady" is perfect. At times you could believe it is Thatcher. Davis as Garland... I keep missing the "great" performance there."

For her awful performance in "Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows", I'll never raise my hat to her.

by Anonymousreply 7205/11/2013

You bitches have not seen the full film! I have and it is sublime. I am delighted to say that I will be working with Mr. John Wells on a future motion picture.

by Anonymousreply 7305/11/2013

[quote]Roberts plays Southern women well? Clearly you need to watch Steel Magnolias again.

How about Charlie Wilson's War?

by Anonymousreply 7405/11/2013

That looks like a steaming pile of shit. And what's the the bargain bin supporting cast? Juliette Lewis? Julianne Nicholson? Ewan McGregor and Benedict Cumberbatch trotting out their laughable American accents? Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 7505/11/2013

Meryl isn't getting another Oscar for this R60. You can already tell it's going to be broad overacting.

by Anonymousreply 7605/11/2013

r67 just watched that clip and I thought Davis is chewing up the scenery and it did not feel "real" to me, it felt overwrought and full of being very "actory" but not "real" at all.

by Anonymousreply 7705/11/2013

No one knows anything based on a trailer.

by Anonymousreply 7805/11/2013

This:

[quote]just watched that clip and I thought Davis is chewing up the scenery and it did not feel "real" to me, it felt overwrought and full of being very "actory" but not "real" at all.

by Anonymousreply 7905/11/2013

r72

Judy Davis knew better than to do an impersonation of Garland. She captured something more elemental and interesting. Streep specializes in impersonations now.

I have no desire to argue. Judy Davis has done other work you know? She is an excellent actress, and you are certainly in the minority in thinking otherwise.

Meryl was also noticeably too old in Postcards, and Mamma Mia. Don't blame the actress, except for her vanity.

You acknowledged that you are not even familiar with "August: Osage County". You are clearly a fan of anything Meryl Streep does, even movie trailers. Many people think that there is much Meryl cannot do well, and though she still has tricks in her bag, they now stifle rather than transport the audience. "How does she do it!"

There are plenty of fans to go around. I fucking love Judy Davis. I admire Streep.

by Anonymousreply 8005/11/2013

Judy Davis in The Trolley Song number rivals Lucy in MAME.

by Anonymousreply 8105/11/2013

I'll be very disappointed if that Judy biopic with Davis is shit, or Davis is shit considering the hype. Maybe if that was released theatrically it would have got her the Oscar considering how weak the year was.

I've caught up with some of her stuff beyond Wiz, A Star is Born and Meet Me In St. Louis, plus the Carnegie Hall CD. Now I just have to see some of her stuff with the lovely Gene Kelly.

That fug Rufus Wainwright put me off her. Anyway, I really hope AnnE gets to do the proposed movie. Her doing Cabaret in Broadway is perfect, she IS Judy/Liza. Anne looks identical to Judy on the DVD cover of A Star Is Born.

by Anonymousreply 8205/11/2013

I saw the play twice. It was fabulous. Patty Duke should have played Violet in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 8305/11/2013

If they wanted a good film they shouldn't have hired a director whose sensibility was formed by TV. PT Anderson or David O. Russell could have made it more memorable but then again Meryl doesn't work with the best directors anymore. Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 8405/11/2013

If you mean the best male directors they largely choose to work with male leads. I am looking forward to this film.

by Anonymousreply 8505/11/2013

[quote]If you mean the best male directors they largely choose to work with male leads.

Misogynists!

by Anonymousreply 8605/11/2013

Is Judy still in the business?

by Anonymousreply 8705/11/2013

Of COURSE Judy was chewing the scenery, that was the point of the movie. If you want introverted Judy check her out in A PASSAGE TO INDIA, HIGH TIDE or IMPROMPTU. My point is, she can emote things Streep can only dream of.

by Anonymousreply 8805/11/2013

Looks good. Wanna see it.

by Anonymousreply 8905/11/2013

We get that you like Judy Davis. Meryl makes money for the studios and helps gets Oscar nominations. She is extremely valuable, whereas Judy is largely unknown and not even thought of for big parts.

by Anonymousreply 9005/11/2013

[quote]Judy Davis knew better than to do an impersonation of Garland. She captured something more elemental and interesting. Streep specializes in impersonations now.

I disagree, but when playing someone in a biopic, you must impersonate them. If one is to play Judy Garland they must try to mimic her, (mimic isn't a bad word). Davis shouldn't have decided to use her own accent. Garland was a real person, with her own accent, mannerisms and personality. As I already wrote she didn't even capture her spirit. What if she decided to use a Scottish accent while playing Garland?

[quote] Judy Davis has done other work you know?

Maybe she has. But after that one performance, I just don't want see another one.

[quote]Meryl was also noticeably too old in Postcards, and Mamma Mia. Don't blame the actress, except for her vanity.

Too old in "Postcards" - yes. "Mamma Mia" - no. But since there was no interpretation of those characters prior to Streep, there's greater room for interpretation. We know what Garland looked like, so we know Davis was too old.

[quote]You acknowledged that you are not even familiar with "August: Osage County". You are clearly a fan of anything Meryl Streep does, even movie trailers.

I'm a fan her work in motion pictures.

by Anonymousreply 9105/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.