Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bryan Forbes RIP

Short on the heels of Ray Harryhausen another veteran of cinema has died, at 86 - English director, writer and actor Bryan Forbes, who had been ill for a long time.

He was quite a good looking young actor, then took up writing and directing. He directed a Datalounge favourite, the 1974 Stepford Wives, along with British classics like Hayley Mills in Whistle Down The Wind, Leslie Caron in The L-shaped room (which featured early gay and lesbian roles), Kim Stanley in Seance on a Wet Afternoon, Edith Evans in The Whisperers, and his pal Katharine Hepburn heading the all star cast Madwoman of Chaillot - a flop at the time.

The Stepford Wives remains terrific., and King Rat in 1966 is a terrific war movie. He was great with actors, and of course his films always featured his wife, Nanette Newman.

When he was a cute young actor he co-starred with Rock Hudson (and Yvonne de Carlo!) in a 1953 costume drama Sea Devils - I wonder if Rock hit on him ?

He also wrote novels later and ran a book-shop. A man of many talents then, rather like Richard Attenborough .....

by Anonymousreply 405/10/2013

I don't think Attenborough will be hanging around too long either .... they both worked on the 1960 The Angry Silence, among others. Forbes was also one of The League of Gentlemen, another 1960 thriller.

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2013

I loved King Rat.

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2013

Kim Stanley, Edith Evans, and Leslie Caron were all Oscar-nominated as Best Actress, as directed by Forbes, like John Schlesinger he was great with actors.

The 1974 Stepford Wives is always playing in the Datalounge cinema complex.

Madwoman of Chaillot was a dreadful flop in 1969, like Hello Dolly, it just seemed totally old-fashioned - but look at that cast now: Hepburn, Edith Evans, Margaret Leighton, Guiletta Masina, Richard Chamberlain with Mrs Forbes, Yul Brynner, Danny Kaye, Boyer, etc.

International Velvet with Tatum ONeill is an amusing terrible 70s concoction now.

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.