Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Prince Harry given delirious reception as US tour begins in Senate

Prince Harry given delirious reception as US tour begins in Senate

John McCain on hand to shepherd prince through screaming throng more suited to infamous celebrity than dignified royalty

Emma Brockes in Washington;, Thursday 9 May 2013 18.29 EDTt

It wasn't the entrance of a royal, but of a celebrity. In the high marble atrium of a US Senate building, a scream went up. It sounded like teenagers, but this was a government building at 3.45pm: the noise was in fact from Senate staffers, five deep down the corridors and along the top balcony, phones held aloft, clutching their suit jackets to contain their excitement. Prince Harry dipped his head and took an awkward step forward. More screams from the balcony.

This is the prince's first visit to the US since his adventures in Las Vegas last year, when he was photographed at the sharp end of a game of strip billiards. The seven-day tour, which opened in Washington DC and will take in Colorado, New Jersey and New York before ending in a charity polo match in Connecticut next Wednesday, is impeccably worthwhile, arranged around meetings with charities and good causes. But anticipation has naturally focused on the other stuff.

Chris Christie, the governor of New Jersey, joked to journalists last month that when, next week, he acts as the prince's chaperone on a tour of a town devastated by Hurricane Sandy: "Nobody's going to get naked, OK? I think I can assure the people of New Jersey that. Much to their relief."

The prince's bad behaviour has only increased affection for him in the US. If William commands affable respect, like his father, and Kate – who is on the cover of People magazine this week under the headline "Kate's Baby Bump Diary! (Her 10 Best Maternity Looks)" is admired as glamorous but rather distant – Harry is his mother's son: of the people.

An hour before he arrived at the Senate, a giddy staffer ran around exclaiming, "Have you seen it in there? There's like one guy in there, and the rest are all women! I've never seen so many women!" There were, indeed, many women, over-dressed for a workday in a variety of pastel cardigans over cocktail dresses and three-inch heels. "Clear them out," said a stern female colleague.

When he appeared, Prince Harry looked stunningly, gleamingly, almost belligerently appropriate, in a navy blue suit and white shirt. He was accompanied by Senator John McCain, half a head shorter and in a state of some bafflement. Together, they toured a photo exhibition of mine-clearance programmes in Afghanistan and Sri Lanka, put together by the Halo Trust, a favourite charity of Princess Diana.

The prince stood, hands clasped behind his back, head bowed as if humbled by what he was hearing, with high colour in his cheeks and surprisingly prominent ears. McCain grinned like a shark.

In the middle of the room, two mannequins dressed in landmine clearance outfits nodded to Diana's iconographic photoshoot in Angola, in the late 1990s, and added pathos to the event – although not for long. Every few minutes, more screams issued from behind the security line, causing Harry to frown and McCain to stare intently at a picture of a digger. It was exquisitely embarrassing.

Surprisingly, in this atmosphere, no one breached the protocol forbidding one to address the royals directly, not even the camera crews, one of whom beckoned silently at the prince with his hand, in a mimed version of the paparazzo's art. Harry ignored him and, turning, smiled fixedly at the cameras. McCain flexed his hands as if warming up to strangle someone.

When the visit ended, everyone flocked to the south windows, in a movement that might have tipped over the building, to watch the Prince disappear in a convoy of black SUVs, headed to the White House for an unannounced visit with Michelle Obama.

McCain rushed back up the corridor, waving his arms. "He's gone! He's gone!" he said, with a look on his face it wasn't possible to read. The carnival moved on.

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2013

Who cares about him? He's not paying my bills.

by Anonymousreply 105/09/2013

How embarassing for these ladies.

I remember when Congressional staffers used to have a modicum of decorum. Now they all act like insane fangurls at a Bieber concert.

Quite pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 205/09/2013

How embarrassing. He's trash and those little starfuckers creamed their pants over his mere presence? Oh well. At least Cindy McCain got to fulfill her secret desire (which was revealed by the New York Times in 2008) to be a modern day Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 305/09/2013

WW for R2

by Anonymousreply 405/09/2013

It's interesting to read the parts about McCain. His dementia is getting worse but nobody in the media ever mentions it even though it's been out there for five years. It was evident during his campaign for the Oval Office when he began to aimlessly wander around the stage during debates.

by Anonymousreply 505/10/2013

Lol americans have some dignity please

by Anonymousreply 605/10/2013

What bitchy queen wrote that account??

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2013

He has a beautiful voice, I must say.

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013

Redheads are becoming popular.

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2013

Ooh, he does have a gorgeous voice.

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1105/10/2013

I giggled hard as a read this piece. The descriptions of McCain: "in a state of some bafflement," "grinned like a shark" really bring up vivid mental images.

I hope this writer follows the prince on his tour.

by Anonymousreply 1205/10/2013

"McCain rushed back up the corridor, waving his arms. "He's gone! He's gone!" he said, with a look on his face it wasn't possible to read."

Can McCain rush? Can he wave his arms?

by Anonymousreply 1305/10/2013

How long after McCain's death will a former staffer come out with a book that reveals the ways his people covered up the onset of Alzheimers?

by Anonymousreply 1405/10/2013

Are the UK taxpayers paying for this privileged douchebag's jaunt?

by Anonymousreply 1505/10/2013

It's not news if he's not naked.

by Anonymousreply 1605/10/2013

I'm embarrassed for all Americans. What hope do we have as a country when the people who make our laws yearn for the days of absolute monarchy?

by Anonymousreply 1805/10/2013

What is the purpose of this visit? Does anyone believe that if he wasn't being scheduled down to the minute he wouldn't be drunk somewhere doing something stupid?

by Anonymousreply 1905/10/2013

He travels a lot for charity events. Some for charities begun by his mother. He also invests a lot of time and energy in children's charities. An appearance by Prince Harry can bring in huge amounts of donations.

by Anonymousreply 2005/10/2013

R18, we have an entire party like that.

by Anonymousreply 2105/10/2013

R17, whom are you comparing Harry to? Harry is neither the head of state nor the head of government, so what the hell does he need a US "tour" for? Just a useless royal living off a posh version of welfare.

by Anonymousreply 2205/10/2013

I understand why everyone likes him, but when did it become hard for supposed professionals to contain their squeals of delight?

by Anonymousreply 2305/10/2013

Seems like a pretty busy trip for him.

by Anonymousreply 2405/10/2013

In pictures: Prince Harry on tour of US

by Anonymousreply 2505/10/2013

Mr. Wales

by Anonymousreply 2605/10/2013

Give Harry a break. He was born into that family. He does more for charity and good causes than other undeserving rich people, say, L.Lohan, Bieber, Spears, Kardashian etc etc ( and don't tell me they are talented, reading most of the vitriolic comments on DL tells me you don't believe that crock)

by Anonymousreply 2705/10/2013

I wonder if William will be like Napoleon and place his brother on a foreign throne. Perhaps William will make Harry the king of America. It would be a good way to cement the alliance.

by Anonymousreply 2805/10/2013

R26. That picture proves James Hewitt is Harry's father and has absolutely no line to the throne. I am so glad Diana actually got under someone attractive after having to survive Charles on top of her grunting one out to produce William.

by Anonymousreply 2905/13/2013

Home run for Harry? Prince tries baseball

Prince Harry has tried out baseball as part of his trip to the US.

(Video at link)

by Anonymousreply 3005/14/2013

Why is it that whenever Harry is in the US, the media has to act like God has arrived? I just don't get all the hoopla. He pisses and shits just like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 3105/14/2013

R29, this has been discussed and settled by his father, Prince Charles. You are a moron.

by Anonymousreply 3205/14/2013

Crowds love him and he loves them. He visited NY today and, I think, went to Harlem. He's had a great time.

by Anonymousreply 3305/14/2013

You can tell he so hates having to wear clothes

Harry, not John McCain...although I don't know, for all I know John McCain hates wearing clothes too.

by Anonymousreply 3405/14/2013

[quote]Prince Harry looked stunningly, gleamingly, almost belligerently appropriate

What kind of shitty writing is that? Sounds like the ancient (or the late?) Georgina Howell, who used to write for British VOGUE.

by Anonymousreply 3505/14/2013

can't wait for him to leave, he's fucking up traffic at my workplace right now. He's dining at the four seasons if you want to see him. Dinner at 6pm. he's still there, bet that leaves lots of time for parties! Lavo is right next door, whoo hoo!

by Anonymousreply 3605/14/2013

I love the British announcer trying to describe baseball as succinctly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 3705/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 3805/14/2013

[quote] Hi

by Anonymousreply 3905/14/2013

zing, zing, zing went my heartstrings . . .

by Anonymousreply 4005/15/2013

[quote] Crowds love him and he loves them. He visited NY today and, I think, went to Harlem. He's had a great time.

Did he put on his Nazi uniform for laughs?

by Anonymousreply 4105/15/2013

Yeah R41, cos we've never been young and EVER made a bad-taste decision.

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2013

His hairline is retreating quickly. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2013

Has this photo of Harry been posted before?

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!