Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do I store fresh, uncooked Asparagus in the refrigerator?

I have re-discovered microwaved fresh asparagus. I have 4 lbs in 2 plastic bags from Sams Club. As I recall, I've seen these stored vertically upright in a glass of water, is that so? Why? Should I do it? How long will these bags of asparagus last in fridge?

by Losing Weightreply 1005/09/2013

No. Anything in your fridge that was in water in the store you should store unwatered.

by Losing Weightreply 105/09/2013

by Losing Weightreply 205/09/2013

This too:

by Losing Weightreply 305/09/2013

r1 is wrong.

Asparagus are like flower stems - they need a lot of water to stay fresh and keep from drying out. If you cut off the bottoms when you get home and place them in a narrow glass of water they will continue to absorb the water and stay fresher longer, just like a vase of flowers. It'd be even better of you could peel the stems (about halfway up) as well as cutting off the bottoms (just an inch or so) because they will be more tender when you cook them.

by Losing Weightreply 405/09/2013

But not in the refrigerator R4.

by Losing Weightreply 505/09/2013

by Losing Weightreply 605/09/2013

I find it fascinating that you would post such a question here when you could just Google search "how to store asparagus" and be done with it. Are you that attached to Datalounge?

by Losing Weightreply 705/09/2013

I love creamed asparagus on toast. When the spears are cheap I buy a bunch, steam and put in cream sauce. Then I freeze in plastic bags so I can have creamed asparagus anytime and in only a few minutes.

by Losing Weightreply 805/09/2013

Nice. Thanks.

by Losing Weightreply 905/09/2013

I love roasted asaragus

by Losing Weightreply 1005/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!