Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do straight people really deserve accolades for being "cool" with gay people?

My new best friend at work is this gorgeous bro-type who has inexplicably taken a liking to me. I don't think he's gay, but he's clearly gay friendly since he knows about me. At first I was inclined to give him 1,000 cool points for being cool with a gay guy; however, don't you all think it's pretty patronizing to reward straight allies for doing the right thing? Even this past week, a gay professional athlete who came out of the closet seemed to get half as much press as straight pols/athletes who've publically supported gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2013

see if he accepts a blowjob - then we'll gauge whether he's "cool" or not.

by Anonymousreply 105/09/2013

he deserves earrings

by Anonymousreply 205/09/2013

he deserves caftans

by Anonymousreply 305/09/2013

We do not understand what you mean with your accusations of patronizing.

by Anonymousreply 405/09/2013

No. Punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 505/09/2013

If there's anything more annoying than bigots, it's people who try to find a reason to bitch about non-bigots.

by Anonymousreply 605/09/2013

I love non-bigots! But should men who aren't rapists receive kudos for not sexually assaulting women? Should priests who aren't pedophiles revived special recognition for refusing to initiate inappropriate relationships with children? All I'm saying is that straight allies don't deserve special recognition for having a conscience. A good person is a good person, so why treat them like an anomaly?

by Anonymousreply 805/09/2013

Because good people are hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 905/09/2013

OP, what kind of options were you considering? Giving him $1000? WTF? He's nice to you, so be nice to him. It's pretty damn simple.

by Anonymousreply 1005/09/2013

I kind of know what you mean. I have a friend at work who's a pastor's wife. The most conservative Lutheran synod in the country. She regularly tells me she thinks discrimination against gays is horrible. I believe she feels that way, but because of her church affiliation, I think she believes it "in person" but not "in principle."

by Anonymousreply 1105/09/2013

ita, op.

by Anonymousreply 1205/09/2013

[quote]My new best friend at work is this gorgeous bro-type

WTF is "bro-type"??? That sounds so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1305/09/2013

f&f R7

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2013

And how do you even believe it? When the trend is gay acceptance- who would cut their own throat by appearing to be homophobic?

I take it with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2013

Has anyone close to you ever suggested that you over-think things, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1605/09/2013

No, OP. This is DL.

Your str8 friend deserves accolades for being HAWT. Not for being gay-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!