Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Unemployed Black Woman Pretends to be White, Job Offers Suddenly Skyrocket

f you don’t believe that racism in the job market is real, then please read this article by Yolanda Spivey. Spivey, who was seeking work in the insurance industry, found that she wasn’t getting any job offers. But as an experiment, she changed her name to Bianca White, to see if employers would respond differently. You’ll be shocked and amazed by her phenomenal story.

Before I begin, let me quote the late, great, Booker T. Washington who said, “Of all forms of slavery there is none that is so harmful and degrading as that form of slavery which tempts one human being to hate another by reason of his race or color.”

For two years, I have been unemployed. In the beginning, I applied to more than three hundred open positions in the insurance industry—an industry that I’ve worked in for the previous ten years. Not one employer responded to my resume. So, I enrolled back into college to finish my degree. After completing school this past May, I resumed my search for employment and was quite shocked that I wasn’t getting a single response. I usually applied for positions advertised on the popular website Monster.com. I’d used it in the past and have been successful in obtaining jobs through it.

Two years ago, I noticed that Monster.com had added a “diversity questionnaire” to the site. This gives an applicant the opportunity to identify their sex and race to potential employers. Monster.com guarantees that this “option” will not jeopardize your chances of gaining employment. You must answer this questionnaire in order to apply to a posted position—it cannot be skipped. At times, I would mark off that I was a Black female, but then I thought, this might be hurting my chances of getting employed, so I started selecting the “decline to identify” option instead. That still had no effect on my getting a job. So I decided to try an experiment: I created a fake job applicant and called her Bianca White.

First, I created an email account and resume for Bianca. I kept the same employment history and educational background on her resume that was listed on my own. But I removed my home phone number, kept my listed cell phone number, and changed my cell phone greeting to say, “You have reached Bianca White. Please leave a message.” Then I created an online Monster.com account, listed Bianca as a White woman on the diversity questionnaire, and activated the account.

That very same day, I received a phone call. The next day, my phone line and Bianca’s email address, were packed with potential employers calling for an interview. I was stunned. More shocking was that some employers, mostly Caucasian-sounding women, were calling Bianca more than once, desperate to get an interview with her. All along, my real Monster.com account was open and active; but, despite having the same background as Bianca, I received no phone calls. Two jobs actually did email me and Bianca at the same time. But they were commission only sales positions. Potential positions offering a competitive salary and benefits all went to Bianca.

At the end of my little experiment, (which lasted a week), Bianca White had received nine phone calls—I received none. Bianca had received a total of seven emails, while I’d only received two, which again happen to have been the same emails Bianca received. Let me also point out that one of the emails that contacted Bianca for a job wanted her to relocate to a different state, all expenses paid, should she be willing to make that commitment. In the end, a total of twenty-four employers looked at Bianca’s resume while only ten looked at mines.

Is this a conspiracy, or what? I’m almost convinced that White Americans aren’t suffering from disparaging unemployment rates as their Black counterpart because all the jobs are being saved for other White people.

by Anonymousreply 17905/14/2013

(cont'd)

My little experiment certainly proved a few things. First, I learned that answering the diversity questionnaire on job sites such as Monster.com’s may work against minorities, as employers are judging whom they hire based on it. Second, I learned to suspect that resumes with ethnic names may go into the wastebasket and never see the light of day.

Other than being chronically out of work, I embarked on this little experiment because of a young woman I met while I was in school. She was a twenty-two-year-old Caucasian woman who, like myself, was about to graduate. She was so excited about a job she had just gotten with a well-known sporting franchise. She had no prior work experience and had applied for a clerical position, but was offered a higher post as an executive manager making close to six figures. I was curious to know how she’d been able to land such a position. She was candid in telling me that the human resource person who’d hired her just “liked” her and told her that she deserved to be in a higher position. The HR person was also Caucasian.

Another reason that pushed me to do this experiment is because of the media. There’s not a day that goes by in which I fail to see a news program about how tough the job market is. Recently, while I was watching a report on underemployed and underpaid Americans, I saw a middle aged White man complaining that he was making only $80,000 which was $30,000 less than what he was making before. I thought to myself that in this economy, many would feel they’d hit the jackpot if they made 80K a year.

In conclusion, I would like to once again quote the late, great, Booker T. Washington when he said, “You can’t hold a man down without staying down with him.”

The more America continues to hold back great candidates based on race, the more our economy is going to stay in a rut. We all need each other to prosper, flourish, and to move ahead.

by Anonymousreply 105/09/2013

There's no way to verify this.

by Anonymousreply 205/09/2013

Sadly, I totally believe her.

by Anonymousreply 305/09/2013

I applaud her (if this ever happened), but I question the need to create a fake name. Why couldn't she have just applied under her own name but identified herself as white on Monster?

by Anonymousreply 405/09/2013

Go on monster.com and try it yourself. You could verify it. But we both know its true. So you won't waste your cheeto scarfing time.

by Anonymousreply 505/09/2013

The most shocking thing is that people still use Monster.com.

by Anonymousreply 605/09/2013

This has proved what I have long suspected: People don't like working with Yolandas.

by Anonymousreply 705/09/2013

20/20 did a story like this. They sent out IDENTICAL resumes. One with a WASP name and the other with an Ethnic name (Like Lakisha Jones).

Guess which resumes got the most responses.

by Anonymousreply 805/09/2013

Why is that your immediate thought, R1?

by Anonymousreply 905/09/2013

No one is speaking about this....The perception in the work force is that black women have an attitude.

by Anonymousreply 1005/09/2013

Sadly, I believe this story because I've seen it happen (AT PROMINENT GAY ORGS too). Racism is alive and well.

by Anonymousreply 1105/09/2013

Bianca sounds more like a black girls' name than Yolanda, which sounds Hispanic.

by Anonymousreply 1205/09/2013

[quote]At the end of my little experiment, (which lasted a week), Bianca White had received nine phone calls—I received none. Bianca had received a total of seven emails, while I’d only received two,

She ignores the fact that her resume has been up there for a year while Bianca's is brand new. New listings always get more attention than stale ones.

by Anonymousreply 1305/09/2013

[quote] New listings always get more attention than stale ones.

Then how do you explain her old resume being ignored for one solid year?

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2013

R1 is just a continuation of the story, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2013

[quote] The most shocking thing is that people still use Monster.com.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 1605/09/2013

Anyway, the FACT is that we don't even have access to the divedity questionnaire information as potential employers. That's simply for Monster.com's own status taking.

Not that that fact won't be completely ignored and dismissed in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2013

Yeah, Bianca White sounds like a black woman's name to me, too, r12.

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2013

I find it strange that people are surprised by this when a study like this was done (probably in Canada) that came to the same conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 1905/09/2013

we should redo this idea with rejected college applicants who suddenly pretend to be black,

by Anonymousreply 2005/09/2013

"The most shocking thing is that people still use Monster.com."

As someone who hasn't been in the job market for 20+ years, what web site,if any, should one use?

by Anonymousreply 2105/09/2013

R12, no, no, no. Bianca sounds more Hispanic and Yolanda sounds more Black.

by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2013

Bianca is an Italian name.

by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2013

Totally believe her.

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2013

Primary example why Black parents should NOT give their kids those damn made up ROOTS/Kunte Kintee names.

by Anonymousreply 2505/09/2013

Bianca sounds like the name of a white lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2013

[quote]Then how do you explain her old resume being ignored for one solid year?

I don't doubt racism played a part. I saw the 20/20 piece which was more controlled. But it was also a different market a year ago.

We'd need to create fake La'Qeesha and fake Brittany (with similar but not identical resumes) and put them on the market at the same time to get a true measure of how much impact racism had.

by Anonymousreply 2805/09/2013

There are many studies like this.

Hell, we recently had a thread with posters saying their bosses made them throw applications with "black-sounding" names in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 2905/09/2013

Hmm, maybe I should change my last name too.

by Anonymousreply 3005/09/2013

Didn't Jewish people change their surnames to sound less ethnic?

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2013

Funny how people don't want to believe it. When I worked for an employment agency we used to get specific requests not to send any black people for interviews. That way they wouldn't be accused of discrimination when not hiring them.

There's lots of racist people out there doing hiring even if they're mainly in the small business market. When I worked for a Fortune 500 company it was the opposite as they wanted and looked for diversity in hiring. If you're African American your best bet is looking at large firms like that.

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2013

[quote]Sadly, I totally believe her.

I do too. I'm black and have a black-sounding name, and I almost never get interviews despite my excellent work background.

White people on here have no idea the shit that minorities have to go through.

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2013

R25? Neither of those names is any more "made up" than Michael or Angela.

Now if you want to talk about the difficulties Tre'vontes or Niveahs of the world face in the market, that's another conversation.

by Anonymousreply 3405/09/2013

I totally believe it. There were also studies done with identical resumes sent out, once with a man's name, once with a woman's name. Guess which was rater higher and received more responses?

by Anonymousreply 3505/09/2013

[quote] White people on here have no idea the shit that minorities have to go through.

Well Jewish people caught on fast, this changing their surnames to sound more WASP.

by Anonymousreply 3605/09/2013

This isn't news. Freakonomics did a study as well.

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2013

Fortune 500 companies want to hire diversity, it's the smaller ones that don't want to, just a fact.

But, and here's where imho her story falls down. Black people have black voices, people know when they phone, she said she changed her vm - with her own voice I presume, so they'll know she's black. They still wanted to hire her.

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2013

I believe her. This happens a lot in Britain too. I worked in the recruitment divisions of a few companies when I lived there. White people in HR and recruitment agencies, particularly white women, follow all sorts of discriminatory practices when they review resumes. People of color would very rarely get called in for interviews even if they had better qualifications and more experience than white candidates.

A couple of those women were just completely rotten bitches. If at all they decided to give someone with an obviously non-European name a call, they'd ring up all their contacts first to check on the candidate. These cunts never did that with any white candidates.

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2013

For the record, my name is pure Aryan. It means "Snow White."

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2013

I am a female with a name that, when shortened can be either male or female. I tried this myself using my full name and got no calls. Shortened my name on my resume to the masculine sounding name and got responses almost immediately. Its not just a race issue.

by Anonymousreply 4105/09/2013

R38 not all black people "sound" black. Think Robin Quivers, Operah. Even the ones that can, some can change that on the phone at will, I've seen it done.

by Anonymousreply 4205/09/2013

Not all black people have "black voices," R39. Blacks from the west coast, the Midwest and the Northeast, and those raised in mostly white environments often sound indistinguishable from their white peers.

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2013

That do, not can.

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2013

I meant R38.

by Anonymousreply 4505/09/2013

R39! Ugh, I need a nap.

by Anonymousreply 4605/09/2013

And many of us speak much BETTER than our white peers.

by Anonymousreply 4705/09/2013

Not all Black women have a "Black-sounding" voice. I've seen non-stop examples of extreme sexism, racism, and ageism here in Vegas. Ever seen a Mexican restaurant with 100% young, WASP employees? Maybe there was one Hispanic dishwasher/busser that was publicly razzed by his coworkers. Typical of the Light Group's policies.

The only way to really achieve change and true equality is to start suing some of the worst culprits. Who can afford a good lawyer? Who's willing to be black-balled permanently as a result?

by Anonymousreply 4805/09/2013

R38, not true. You have obviously never interacted with a lot of black people.

by Anonymousreply 4905/09/2013

A BBC article about this problem in the UK

by Anonymousreply 5005/09/2013

I do this on Craigslist for laffs. Same ad, photo... but change your preference to Top and your email nearly crashes with the weight of responses.

by Anonymousreply 5105/09/2013

Poor thing, R42. I had a sequence like that recently. I could do nothing right to clarify myself.

Are photo resumes really growing in popularity? I've read that they are and that not including a photo decreases chances of getting called back.

I recall a recent study where recruiters overwhelmingly female) tended to have a harder time getting interviews. It's a catch 22 if a photo is expected and used as the basis for a rejection. I can only assume that blacks would get rejected on the basis of a photo, too.

by Anonymousreply 5205/09/2013

I have black family members in extreme NW Georgia (the whitest part of the state), and they sound just like country white folk.

by Anonymousreply 5405/09/2013

Sounds uppity.

by Anonymousreply 5505/09/2013

Meant to add that "voice" is probably just dependent on your surroundings.

by Anonymousreply 5605/09/2013

[quote]I recall a recent study where recruiters overwhelmingly female) tended to have a harder time getting interviews.

Let me rephrase this: I recall a recent study where recruiters (overwhelmingly female) rejected attractive women's resumes. On the whole they had a harder time getting an interview.

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2013

A recent survey mentioned on radio said that the most successful people have first names with no more than five letters. A Bob does better than Robert. Same for Steve, Mike, Zach, Ann, Sue, and Mary.

by Anonymousreply 5805/09/2013

Listeners to New York's WNYC have no clue that Lorraine Mattox, the voice of the underwriters' announcements is black.

by Anonymousreply 5905/09/2013

[quote]Poor thing, [R42]. I had a sequence like that recently. I could do nothing right to clarify myself

I had a sequins like that recently!

by Anonymousreply 6005/09/2013

Sometimes one word can give away someone's origin speaking on the phone. Egyptians switch b's and p's. They say beeble for people. PO-leece and ambu-LANCE are another giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 6105/09/2013

[quote]Now if you want to talk about the difficulties Tre'vontes or Niveahs of the world face...

It's Nevaeh!

Do I look like skin cream?

by Anonymousreply 6205/09/2013

R40 Gwennie Paltrow is not an Aryan name but a Slavic Jewish one. As much as I hate you I will admit you still cop to your Jewish heritage.

Bianca white sounds like it could be a black girl's name though. Now if her name was Lynn Smythe Jones then I would buy her story,otherwise it sounds fishy.

by Anonymousreply 6305/09/2013

R63, Gwyneth is a Welsh name. So is Jones, and a high percentage of blacks have Welsh surnames.

by Anonymousreply 6405/09/2013

I believe this. I have found that some women discriminate against women, as well. Pretty much every time I get a new supervisor, they favor other people that are like them. New white guy boss, suddenly white guys are treated best. New black guy boss, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6505/09/2013

R64 I meant that Paltrow is a Slavic Jewish name. I've never met a Welshman that has such a last name!

BTW No, not too many black people have the name of Smythe Jones. Oh and a lot of black people have the last name of White. I worked with two African Americans that had the last name of White.

by Anonymousreply 6605/09/2013

I'm Black and I have a cousin named Bianca so when I hear that name I think of a Black woman even though technically, it's Italian as someone mentioned upthread.

by Anonymousreply 6705/09/2013

R65 that definitely happens. I worked with a dyke that was so pro-woman it wasn't even funny.There were two men in our department because of her girl power ethos. She got kicked out because she was embezzling funds from the company.Within a year one third of the department became male.

by Anonymousreply 6805/09/2013

I was unempoyed for 8 months, and couldn't figure out why I was getting no responce to my resumes. My first name is one that could be percived as non-white (Lynaya). A job counselor told me to shorten it to Lyn on my resume. I was back to work within 3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 6905/09/2013

r8, there was a similar school system study. Identical essays by students were submitted. Elmer and Agnes got poorer marks than Michael and Jennifer.

by Anonymousreply 7005/09/2013

So basically, people are bastards.

by Anonymousreply 7105/09/2013

Whether or not you believe her, multiple studies have been done proving that having an ethnic name means you will receive less job offers.

by Anonymousreply 7205/09/2013

Yeah, basically.

by Anonymousreply 7305/09/2013

R70 Who names their kids Elmer or Agnes anymore? Then again I know an Agnes and she's a complete fucking cunt! She was saddled with a very stupid name and know I know why she is so miserable.

by Anonymousreply 7405/09/2013

I'm black and I never understood why black parents would name their kids something that defies the rules of pronunciation, grammar and sounds like a bad candy brand. "Dayvaunte" or "N'Kleisha" just become problematic depending on your mobility. My mom named my older brother a nice, traditional name but me and my sister have the "creative" ones. Ironically, he is more into rap, hip hop and urban culture than either of us younger sibs. Luckily, we've all been lucky getting jobs.

Just a note that poor white families used to do this, too. Anyone remember Marjoe Gortner?

by Anonymousreply 7505/09/2013

R75, this practice affects not just people with stereotypically Black names, but also other ethnic groups which may not use WASPy names or even Judeo Christian ones. Certainly in the UK a lot of candidates with Muslim names often end up in the rejection pile. Should every person living in the US or the UK adopt a white-sounding name just so that they have a fair shot?

Why should some narrow-minded nitwits in recruitment be able to dictate what names people should or shouldn't have?

by Anonymousreply 7605/09/2013

R75 It was more Billy Bob or Bobby Sue with PWT than doing what Marjoe's parents did with his name.

by Anonymousreply 7705/09/2013

I worked with a black woman who had a unique name that was pronounced very much unlike it was spelled. Of course, people would pronounce it as written. And she would take offense. Ah, well..

by Anonymousreply 7805/09/2013

Here's the way I look at it:

It doesn't matter if you have a "black sounding" name or not if you're black. Even if you have a "white" name and you get an interview, as soon as these nasty racist white people meet you and see that you're black, they're already going to not hire you anyway no matter how well you do in the interview. So the way I see it is that these nasty racist white people are saving me from wasting my time by not calling me because they don't like my "black" name.

Fuck all these racist white people. There should be a law that there has to be at least one minority HR person for each white HR person there is.

by Anonymousreply 7905/09/2013

R79- pseudoliberal nutcase.

Look, of course racism exists in the job market. That's self evident. But this stunt is unverifiable, as someone pointed out. If she phonied up a fake resume, then how do we know she didn't phony up some past jobs or qualifications as well?

Stunts like this are PR for the person doing them. It does nothing to address real problems of discrimination in hiring.

by Anonymousreply 8005/09/2013

But isn't this all relative? Won't any Irish woman named Erin have a better chance of getting an interview than an irish woman named Rosaleen? Won't Sean get an interview over Fergus?

Won't Kurt get an interview over Helmut? Monique rather than Frederique?

by Anonymousreply 8105/09/2013

This article is no surprise to me and I believe every word of it. Racism persists.

by Anonymousreply 8205/09/2013

R80 = White asshole who has never had to experience racism.

by Anonymousreply 8305/09/2013

Why do threads like this about racism get so many posts yet threads about gay people being discriminated against or killed don't. This is a gay website. Is it because the ideas formed on this thread are well-known and talked about while things related to gay people are not and therefore posters don't know what to say in the gay threads?

by Anonymousreply 8405/09/2013

[quote] I am a female with a name that, when shortened can be either male or female

R41

V V

by Anonymousreply 8505/09/2013

That's funny, R65. In my experience black supervisors ALWAYS bend over backwards to NOT treat black employees better; in fact, most do the opposite. It's practically a cliche among paraprofessional and professional blacks alike; they all worry when a black boss cones aboard.

by Anonymousreply 8605/09/2013

[quote]I'm Black and I have a cousin named Bianca so when I hear that name I think of a Black woman even though technically, it's Italian as someone mentioned upthread.

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that black parents would give their child a name that means white?

The most famous Bianca (as far as I know) is Bianca Jagger, who was Nicaraguan.

by Anonymousreply 8705/09/2013

It's pronounced BEE-ANK-A. Like "Sanka" or "Casablanka."

by Anonymousreply 8805/09/2013

I'm black and spent a lot of years dealing with some self loathing issues and have worked through most of them, but I have to be honest. When I was looking for a new assistant and was going through resumes, I didn't call back anyone whose name began with La, Sha, Qua, Da, or anything with an apostrophe in it. I know it's wrong and evil and racist, but I just don't want to deal with the drama.

And as I black gay man, I understand stereotypes and prejudice and all the shit that comes with it, and I am fucked up to participate in it, and I am sure that one of those unfortunately named people may be very well qualified, but I just don't want to deal with it. I just don't want my assistant answering my phone "xxxxx's office, this is Qua'vazaney speaking."

by Anonymousreply 8905/09/2013

Jewish people use the first letter of a deceased family members name for newborns. A woman whose grandmother was Ida, was named Idylia. When she showed up for job interviews they were surprised to see a white woman. Her friends called her Dilly.

by Anonymousreply 9005/09/2013

R89 is certainly a snow queen, too.

by Anonymousreply 9105/09/2013

At [R87], yeah that is pretty ironic isn't it. I think my aunt just liked the name and thought it was pretty, but it's akin to naming a Black child "Ivory" or "Blanca".

At [86], I've worked in both situations: either all the Black people in the office gravitate to each other out of solidarity or steer clear of each other for whatever reasons, maybe professional advancement/competition.

by Anonymousreply 9205/09/2013

All R89 really proves is what I've been saying all along: if you have a kid, don't give it a stupid name.

by Anonymousreply 9305/09/2013

[quote]All [R89] really proves is what I've been saying all along: if you have a kid, don't give it a stupid name.

Or at least be wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 9405/09/2013

It is a pretty name, R92.

by Anonymousreply 9505/09/2013

Newsflash they don't hire fat people either even if they are white.

by Anonymousreply 9605/09/2013

Other minorities have given names that aren't waspy. Native Americans have surnames that are the polar opposite of whites. And many of their first names sound black. Asians have names that will never be identified as white names. Polynesians have distinctive non-white names. Those who do adopt white names assimilate better in the dominant society. However, they'll still be "outsiders" in their own country, because racism is so deeply entrenched historically in our society. This is where non-white parents have a duty to train their children in ethnic pride. And to train their children to never hate any of God's children.

by Anonymousreply 9705/09/2013

Sorry guys, Im black and I feel the same way as r79. I don't have an ethnic sounding name, I don't have an ethnic sounding phone voice. I got a lot of calls back for jobs last year when I was in the job market. Got rejected for tons of jobs I was well qualified for when I came time for face to face interviews.

Racism is very real. And as stated before in the this thread, HR professionals in America hire with their feelings way too much, and not based on the qualifications and applicable experience and education of candidates. Add the racists and homophobes to the mix and it becomes nearly impossible to find work. If I had an "ethnic" name it would have saved me a lot of wasted time with dumb recruiters.

by Anonymousreply 9805/09/2013

R84, I've seen equally long if not longer threads on the DL about violence & descrimination against gays.

by Anonymousreply 9905/09/2013

R97, Many Asians choose a common American name as an alias when applying for work or dealing with the general public. Smart families often pick a middle name that reflects their heritage and a more generic first name for their kids.

by Anonymousreply 10005/09/2013

{93} "If you have a kid, don't give it a stupid name." Like what? Obama? Oprah? Lyndon? Woodrow? Tiger? The list goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 10105/09/2013

If people KNOW this, then why do they continue to name their kids stupid, made up and misspelled shit that gets them tossed from job pools?

by Anonymousreply 10205/09/2013

The 20/20 thing did both minorities and fat people and both failed to get jobs the white bread good looking people got. You can be a Becky Smith and get called hin for the interview but if you are fat Becky Smith you don't get it any more than Laqufa Smith would.

by Anonymousreply 10305/09/2013

[quote]If people KNOW this, then why do they continue to name their kids stupid, made up and misspelled shit that gets them tossed from job pools?

r102, ITS 2013! Recruiters should NOT discriminate against job applicants because of what their parents named them eons ago. Its asinine and HR cunts are lazy bitches that are just looking for an easy way to pick applicants. They need to work hard like everyone else and find those who are qualified for the job.

by Anonymousreply 10405/09/2013

I would not hire a white, Asian, or Hispanic woman named Yolanda. If you have a weird name but don't change it when you become an adult, then the results are your own problem.

by Anonymousreply 10605/09/2013

In an ideal world it wouldn't matter what you named your kid. We still live in the real world where selfish and totally unrealistic parents have too much influence on the success or failure of their children, and could easily improve their odds by at least picking a more conventional 1st name.

by Anonymousreply 10705/09/2013

R104, oh MARY. Honey, they look at hundreds of applications. A bizarre name is only going to get passed by.

by Anonymousreply 10805/09/2013

R107 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 10905/09/2013

r104 you're never going to get anywhere in life with that little martyr complex.

by Anonymousreply 11005/09/2013

r106 = JACKASS

by Anonymousreply 11105/09/2013

No. You guys are the same people that start your own threads when you have your bad run-ins with human resources professionals on your jobs. Why all of a sudden are you coming to their defense when this topic arises?

Again, people should not be discriminated against because they have an unconventional first name, just like they shouldn't be discriminated for having a disability or being a minority. I feel like I need to state this over and over since apparently some of you are just poorly socialized.

by Anonymousreply 11205/09/2013

Sally Jones will get an interview over Laquisha Jones.

Sally Hernandez get an interview over Conchita Hernandez.

Sally Lin will get an interview over Chuntao Lin.

We like Sally. She sounds nice.

by Anonymousreply 11305/09/2013

All these evil "white" HR people had ancestors who CHANGED THEIR NAMES when they came to the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 11405/09/2013

[quote]If people KNOW this, then why do they continue to name their kids stupid, made up and misspelled shit that gets them tossed from job pools?

Well in most cases, the parents just don't know any better. A black person from a two parent, educated, stable home environment is not named D'QuanLaShonde. It is usually single and teen moms who don't have the life experience or foresight to understand that names matter. I've heard them say it, they want to give their children a 'unique - pretty sounding' name. They don't understand the consequences of that unique pretty sounding name.

Goop Paltrow can name her kid Apple because Apple was already born on 3rd base. If you're poor, black and born to 15 year old parents, you're already fucked, then being named Qualafia on top of that, you don't stand a chance.

It's not right or fair, it just is. It's the same reason why some Jewish people changed their last names back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 11505/09/2013

[quote] I feel like I need to state this over and over

Which you keep doing. And the people who disagree with you also keep doing this. Just because you say it over and over again doesn't make it so. It's simply your belief that things should be this way. Others disagree and believe that factors influence people no matter what anyone believes should be so.

You can all state your beliefs over and over and over and over again, and that is exactly what you *will* do because this is Datalounge and people are not happy when others don't accept their beliefs. So this thread will continue to be dragged out by people endlessly stating their beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 11605/09/2013

"My first name is one that could be percived as non-white (Lynaya)."

Or a character from an episode of 'Space: 1999.'

by Anonymousreply 11705/09/2013

Aside from the discussion about racism, I've wondered why more adults don't change their name if they don't like it or they feel it doesn't fit them.

Just because a parent names a baby whatever they please, doesn't mean someone cannot grow up and change it to something they like more than their given name.

by Anonymousreply 11805/09/2013

[quote]Oh and a lot of black people have the last name of White. I worked with two African Americans that had the last name of White.

I once saw an episode of "Family Fued" that had a white family with the surname "White", and a black family that had the surname "Brown".

The host joked that the families were colour-coordinated!

by Anonymousreply 11905/09/2013

Changing your name is not going to affect your ability to do or not to do a job. That's the point bitches.

by Anonymousreply 12005/09/2013

EVERY job aggregator stresses how important it is to create two or more social media accounts and edit them to appear professional. They want you on Linkedin and Facebook. They want photos.

I believe Facebook junkies are picking whom to interview from a stack of potential hires spit out by an algorithm.

by Anonymousreply 12105/09/2013

I worked at a company where the guy in charge of HR instructed his staff that when they had a large number of applications for any post to put half of them straight in the bin without looking at them. His reasoning was that he didn't want 'unlucky' people working there.

Sadly, the sociopathic cunt was made a director instead of being fired. But at least it wasn't racist, so there's that....

by Anonymousreply 12205/09/2013

Lorraine Mattox voice, her IMDB page says she's Peruvian, she does not look black at all, it says her family is Peruvian.

by Anonymousreply 12305/09/2013

[quote]Aside from the discussion about racism, I've wondered why more adults don't change their name if they don't like it or they feel it doesn't fit them.

Where I live, the court filing fees for a name change are $150. I did it myself (because I always disliked my name), and that's what it cost. For most people, add on attorney fees and it becomes a more expensive proposition.

I doubt most people realize how simple it is or more of them would do it.

by Anonymousreply 12405/09/2013

Thank you, R116.

by Anonymousreply 12505/09/2013

Did you have to take out a public notice in your local newspaper, R124? Years ago I had a friend in grad school who decided he wanted to change his name to something extremely ridiculous. He filed the paperwork and took out the public announcement in the local paper as per required. I had a couple of people come up to me and ask if it was true. I'm not sure which was more ridiculous, the new name or the fact that people pored over the newspaper to find that minuscule ad.

by Anonymousreply 12605/09/2013

[quote] In the end, a total of twenty-four employers looked at Bianca’s resume while only ten looked at mines.

It's mine, not "mines". Perhaps her resumes and other documents contained similar errors? That "mines" would send any application to the dustbin.

by Anonymousreply 12705/09/2013

Can someone please explain why about 90% of the healthcare workers I've interacted with since my parents became ill, all speak with very heavy foreign accents?

Aren't American citizens, the ones born here in the US, applying for any of these jobs in the health care system?

From the doctors, to nurses, social workers, receptionists, medical assistants, lab workers, to all the people I dealt with during my mom's brief stay at a nursing home, not ONE of these workers spoke comprehensible English. I felt as if I was in the "Twilight Zone"!

I am NOT exaggerating. Every single one of these health care workers spoke very heavily accented English, it was a real eye opener.

If the economy is so bad, why aren't American born Americans applying for or getting these, mostly well paid, union jobs?

The only people without accents I've come across in the health care industry were the security people at the hospitals and nursing homes!

The worst is when you call up to ask about what's covered on the health plans, I constantly have to ask them to repeat what they are saying!

Welcome to America!

by Anonymousreply 12805/09/2013

R126, my state does not require publication. Creditors look for name changes, so it would be difficult to use it to defraud.

Attorneys use newspapers created for purposes of legal notice publication, not the local newspaper (unless local notice is required by law). That's how they give notice in divorces where a spouse is missing.

by Anonymousreply 12905/09/2013

I knew Miss Julie was a negro!

by Anonymousreply 13005/09/2013

It's the globalization of the workforce r128.

by Anonymousreply 13105/09/2013

R128, Non-native English speakers are smart to go into healthcare, where they'll always be a high demand for workers. Many come from cultures where respect and care for the sick and elderly is a priority. Also studying physical science does not rely as much on language skills compared to business courses.

by Anonymousreply 13205/09/2013

"Many come from cultures where respect and care for the sick and elderly is a priority. Also studying physical science does not rely as much on language skills compared to business courses."

Really? You must be kidding! Coherent COMMUNICATION, while dealing with MILLIONS of patients throughout the United States, is not important nor should be a requirement, especially when most patients do not speak a second language?

Most of these nursing home workers do not truly care for the sick and elderly, they're thee for the paycheck, they are not nurses, nor have studied healthcare, no degree is required to work as a home care aide nor to work in a nursing home.

Lots of these nursing home workers beat the elderly. The lawsuits have been rampant over the years re nursing home brutality cases.

by Anonymousreply 13305/09/2013

I'm Af-Am I also agree with R79. And because I don't like to waste my time (I have a "white" name and a "white" voice) I have professional org memberships on my resume that identify me as black (eg. NAACP).

I HATE that look white people get on their face when they realize the white person they were expecting is actually BLACK! And the AWFUL stammering!

Better to get no job interview than to go through that shit over and over again. (But of course phone interviews can still be dangerous. Ever had someone ask you why you don't sound black in a phone interview? WELL I DID! Ever had a job offer mysteriously disappear after the "you're hired!" phone interview and they meet you in person and they act like the offer never happened? WELL I DID!)

You just keep telling yourself it's better to work in an environment where you fit in with the "culture."

I fucking hate looking for a job. White people make me tired.

by Anonymousreply 13405/09/2013

R133, I was speaking of licensed hospital personnel. There are obviously poorly run nursing homes throughout America, and there are obviously competent and negligent workers everyplace. I could tell you stories that would top any of yours by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 13505/09/2013

Foreign workers = NO UNIONS. NO BENEFITS. NO RETIREMENT. NO JOB SECURITY. NO PROBLEM!

Homegrown Americans have grown up actually believing they desire a living wage + benefits. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 13605/09/2013

Change your name or come up with a "professional" name. We can bitch and moan all day about how unfair racism is but no one named Shanaynay is going to get very far. Except as a drag queen. And to all the expectant moms out there, use your brains. Trendy or exotic names today will haunt your kids later. This is not rocket science folks. And it's never going to change.

by Anonymousreply 13705/09/2013

R134, I work for a large law firm in midtown Manhattan. Our director of Human Resources is Black. About half the assistants are Black. We have Black Partners and Of Counsel Attorneys. Intolerance is absolutely not tolerated no matter what color or sexual orientation you are. But I believe this story and I think it's a sad commentary in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 13805/09/2013

R138, How about getting your law firm to volunteer to handle some of the massive discrimination cases in employment across the US? Sadly that's the only way practices begin to change.

by Anonymousreply 13905/09/2013

We do R139. A large pro-bono practice helps people in prison and elsewhere who can't afford good legal counsel.

by Anonymousreply 14005/09/2013

This happened to me, too. My resume was on Monster for a year and the only job offers I got were florist shops and hair salons. Oh, there was one offer to be an assistant for Kathy Griffin, but I didn't want it.

When I changed my name to Duncan Steel, the manly job offers poured in.

by Anonymousreply 14105/09/2013

In other cultures, names like Brittany, Jessica and Zac, are funny or odd. But here in America, like names will get the attention. It's the way it is. Should we change that? Hard to say. I've stuck with my unusual name despite losing opportunities and experiencing racism all my life. No, I'm not a martyr, or exceptionally lazy. It's the way I choose to identify myself. Now, if I was money-hungry, I'd have adjusted to the dominant society and that meant changing my name as so many ethnics and stars have done.

by Anonymousreply 14205/10/2013

R143 and R144 are why I can't stand most gay white men.

by Anonymousreply 14505/11/2013

R143 and R144 sound like HR or retail queens desperately trying to make excuses for blatant discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 14605/11/2013

I didn't say I like it. I said it was how things are. No, I'm not in Human Resources; and I don't even know what a 'retail queen' even is. Business is not perfect.

We all discriminate based on price every day. When I buy things I buy the cheapest item that I think is likely to have the quality I want. I don't expect it would be any different is I was buying an employees services.

by Anonymousreply 14705/11/2013

There's no question that there's rampant racism in the American workplace, but sorry, there's just something fishy and contrived about this woman's story.

I'll start with: she didn't actually "pretend to be white" as the headline claims. She changed the name on her resume. (There are black women named Bianca, and white women named Yolanda). The whole thing just seems suspect to me, sorry, and it starts with this exaggeration in the headline. If you want to gain my trust as a reader, don't start with a fib to get my attention.

by Anonymousreply 14805/11/2013

That's retarded, r143 and r144. Straight white males ARE able to sue if they've been discriminated against based on their sex, race, or (in a few states) their orientation. It's just that they don't get discriminated against based on those characteristics: in their case, it's a boon.

I'm aghast there are people that stupid in the world.

by Anonymousreply 14905/11/2013

r147, I can't even get mad at you. Im going to give you a pass for living in Alaska, even though I know there are people in Alaska who are not discriminatory. You know that is same reasoning that slavery flourished in North America for over 200 years right? People are not items. One day America will pay, AGAIN, for treating their workforce, black, white and others, as items for sale.

by Anonymousreply 15005/11/2013

Unintended consequences. You can't avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 15105/11/2013

Fake, not real..

Try harder race bait troll. And while you're at it, tell ALL of those white people who're passed over for jobs because companies want more "minorities" how "racist" the American job market is.

I'll sure they'll cheer you as they're tossed out of their homes.

by Anonymousreply 15205/11/2013

r143: what you really want to say is that you only want to hire people who look like you do.

Straight white men end up costing companies a lot of money: they do most of the sexual harassment, are engaged in most of the financial mismanagement (hello Wall Street), and generally aren't worth what they are being paid.

by Anonymousreply 15305/11/2013

I think what R143 and R144 mean is that when they don't want their employees to be able to sue when they call them the *n* word.

by Anonymousreply 15405/11/2013

R152 = one of the paranoid ignorami.

by Anonymousreply 15505/11/2013

R143 and R144, what statistics can you provide to back up your assumption?

by Anonymousreply 15605/11/2013

r148, its not that big of a stretch dear. We've already had a few unsavory posters here who said they would not hire someone named "Yolanda", and a few that have witnessed piles of resumes discarded because of unconventional names, regardless of whether they were "ethnic" sounding or not. Let's not pretend like there is any honor in business. That is why there are laws in place to stifle discriminatory hiring practices.

by Anonymousreply 15705/11/2013

Please invest the $1000 per year into mental health care, R158. Your own, of course.

by Anonymousreply 15905/11/2013

ratchet

by Anonymousreply 16005/11/2013

Good god, there are some fucked-up racists on this site now. If you don't understand white privilege, it's not because it doesn't exist, it's because you're too ignorant to notice it, and too afraid to acknowledge it.

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

by Anonymousreply 16205/11/2013

^ The most widely held stereotype in the world is that white people are racist...

by Anonymousreply 16305/11/2013

Then there is this:

by Anonymousreply 16405/11/2013

Luckily, R161 and his ilk are dying out.

by Anonymousreply 16505/11/2013

R162 how is someone who doesn't even understand that *Italian still equals white* going to understand white privilege?

by Anonymousreply 16605/11/2013

The laws prohibiting discrimination in housing and in employment are a joke, unless you have the ability to hire a top quality lawyer. I can give you countless examples.

by Anonymousreply 16805/11/2013

If America is racist, why do Asians do so well???

If you roll me into the ER on a stretcher bleeding from an accident, and I have a choice between an Asian surgeon & anyone else -- white, black, hispanic -- I'm taking the Asian. And more so if she is a woman.

by Anonymousreply 16905/11/2013

R169 your education has failed you.

Go to the library and pick up a book.

Ask the librarian to help you.

by Anonymousreply 17005/11/2013

R170 -- lol. Glad the black surgeons will have customers like you.

by Anonymousreply 17105/11/2013

And some people wonder why we still need Affirmative Action.

by Anonymousreply 17205/11/2013

I believe that employers are always screening for race. But, in this case, I have issues with Yolanda's experiment. The thing this is tripping me up is the claim that one employer called and offered an all-expenses paid move. Yolanda makes it sound like Bianca was actually receiving job offers. I do not believe that employers would skip the interviewing process and go straight to job offer without at least a phone call. This makes me suspect the whole story.

Again, I do not doubt that racism is alive and well and that employers screen for race.

by Anonymousreply 17305/11/2013

Not a problem, R171.

How's your reading gong?

by Anonymousreply 17505/11/2013

Just fine, R175. I'm 47 & retired with $$$$ in the bank, so have lots of time for reading. The Harvard physics degree paid off.

by Anonymousreply 17605/11/2013

It's never too late to learn, R176.

Money doesn't have to make you stupid.

by Anonymousreply 17705/12/2013

[quote]This is true if you are a man, a woman, White, Asian, etc. The only group it's not true of is blacks; in that case, it can be as low as a B-, which equates to the bottom 1/3 of the class.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 17805/12/2013

You seriously think they publish this information? So that their African-American medical grads can't get patients?

I know it because I was friends with the pre-med tutor, the person who consulted on the applications.

by Anonymousreply 17905/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.