Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is any other proof needed of the tasteless insanity of a country than its "landmark" architecture?

Saudi Arabia's Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel in Mecca demonstrates just how grotesque the culture is there.

by Anonymousreply 5905/10/2013

Just like North Korea's little bid for glory shows its Insane Overlord tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 105/09/2013

I like the North Korean building.

by Anonymousreply 205/09/2013

That clock is pretty frigging cool! You know if the British has the same technology back in the day, Big Ben would have been huge too.

Although with each building getting bigger and bigger, I cant help but think of the tower of Babel and how it cam crumbling down.

by Anonymousreply 305/09/2013

They wanted to put an Islamic crescent on Big Ben? Rich middle eastern people LOVE London. That's all I can think of. It's like the sad guy at the party who is jealous of and hates the popular guys but tries to dress like them and be like them but can't quite pull it off.

That piazza in front looks from a distance like it could be anywhere in Europe, there's open spaces like that in every large European city.

by Anonymousreply 405/09/2013

[quote]You know if the British has the same technology back in the day, Big Ben would have been huge too.

1 - Big Ben is actually the name of the clock's bell. You are referring to The Elizabeth Tower.

2 - At time of it was completed, the tower was the tallest secular building in the world.

by Anonymousreply 505/09/2013

[quote]Rich middle eastern people LOVE London.

You poor, delusional thing.

by Anonymousreply 605/09/2013

The issue is not the size. It's tacky.

by Anonymousreply 705/09/2013

And the inevitable annoying fuck with an agenda shows up at r6

by Anonymousreply 805/09/2013

R6 Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 905/09/2013

I agree with R7. A large (or enormous) building can be really interesting, but this is just ugly. So derivative that it's faintly embarrassing, and somewhat cheap-looking.

by Anonymousreply 1005/09/2013

[quote]That piazza in front looks from a distance like it could be anywhere in Europe, there's open spaces like that in every large European city.

Mecca darling.

by Anonymousreply 1105/09/2013

I really like the Burj Khalifa. I'm not sure what it is doing in the middle of the desert, but size is not the problem.

by Anonymousreply 1205/09/2013

That's not a piazza. It's a Mosque.

by Anonymousreply 1305/09/2013

I love the North Korean building. It looks like the place where a Power Rangers villain would live.

Meanwhile, the Saudi tower can best be described by the phrase : Mecca-Lecca High, Meccay Hiney HO!"

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2013

Love the faux tents on the roof. A Bedouin touch.

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2013

Is there valet parking for your camel?

by Anonymousreply 1605/09/2013

[quote] That piazza in front looks from a distance like it could be anywhere in Europe

That is so obviously Mecca and NOT European

Had you ever even heard of Mecca before today?

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2013

R17 They didnt say it was in Europe, they said it looked like Europe. Not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2013

R17 saying something looks European from a distance does not equate to "has no knowledge of Mecca".

Reading comprehension isn't your forte is it?

by Anonymousreply 1905/09/2013

R6. You've obviously never been to London. If you had you would've known how many Saudi princes own properties there. Mayfair and Knightsbridge are like a second home to them.

Your parochial ignorance is showing hon.

by Anonymousreply 2005/09/2013

It is not a piazza, it is the holiest place in Islam. The kaba. It is that which they pray to five times a day and have to visit at least once in their lives. They circle it seven times. Lots of other stuff happens under the roof, mostly cleansing rituals.

by Anonymousreply 2105/09/2013

Anyway, the building with the clock is a Fairmont Hotel.

It stands on the site of an Ottoman fort that was destroyed last year by the Saudi government. The contractor who built the hotel was Saudi Bin Laden Group.

by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2013

I usually hate modern architecture, but the Saudi Arabia building looks cool.

by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2013

[quote]. Lots of other stuff happens under the roof, mostly cleansing rituals.

And trampling. These are recent incidents. I remember hearing similar stories in the '70s and '80s. About 2,500 deaths.

July 2, 1990 : A stampede inside a pedestrian tunnel (Al-Ma'aisim tunnel) leading out from Mecca towards Mina, Saudi Arabia and the Plains of Arafat led to the deaths of 1,426 pilgrims, many of them Malaysian, Indonesian and Pakistani of origin. [2][3]

May 23, 1994 : A stampede killed at least 270 pilgrims at the stoning of the Devil ritual.

April 9, 1998: at least 118 pilgrims were trampled to death and 180 injured in an incident on Jamarat Bridge.[4]

March 5, 2001: Thirty five pilgrims were trampled to death in a stampede during the stoning of the Devil ritual.[5]

February 11, 2003: The stoning of the Devil ritual claimed 14 pilgrims' lives.[6]

February 1, 2004: 251 pilgrims were killed and another 244 injured in a stampede during the stoning ritual in Mina.[7]

January 12, 2006: A stampede during the ritual ramy al-jamarāt on the last day of the Hajj in Mina killed at least 346 pilgrims and injured at least 289 more. The incident occurred shortly after 13:00 local time, when a busload of travellers arrived together at the eastern access ramps to the Jamarat Bridge. This caused pilgrims to trip, rapidly resulting in a lethal crush. An estimated two million people were performing the ritual at the time.

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2013

That building is a cartoon that belongs in Las Vegas. Major tackiness going on IMO.

I've also read some muslims look at the development as a commercialization of a holy site. As well as being available for only the wealthiest muslims. So it appears there is resentment to a segment of islamic worshippers.

by Anonymousreply 2505/09/2013

We hope none of those apartments have balconies or windows that open all the way

by Anonymousreply 2605/09/2013

Thatis an interesting rendering of that North Korea building, which is the Ryugyong Hotel. It is actually completely empty inside. Pictures at link. Most pictures show it as a cement block with no windows.

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2013

R27 - I can't find the article now, but an architect was in N. Korea for a tour and actually got to go in the building. He said the empty elevator shafts were visibly out of square and not at all straight. That place will always be a shell.

by Anonymousreply 2805/09/2013

Was that linked in the N.Korea thread last year, R28? They guy in the story I read had to sneak away from his tour guide to go in. I hope the guide wasn't punished.

by Anonymousreply 2905/09/2013

R29 Sounds like the same story. I read a lot on N. Korea, for some strange reason, and remember that being linked from one of the sites I usually go to for the latest craziness from them.

I am sure that guide is no longer a guide. Pretty senseless of any westerner to do something like that. (1) You are going to be lucky to escape trouble and (2) You have cemented a fate worse than death for the guides/handlers.

by Anonymousreply 3005/09/2013

Mecca lecca hi, mecca hiney ho!

Well, someone had to say it.

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2013

Oh, just collapse.

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2013

You do know that you're not even allowed to get anywhere near Mecca unless you're a Muslim, right?

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2013

Seriously R33?

by Anonymousreply 3405/09/2013

Dang, R24.Obviously the Devil brooks no disrespect.

Gotta hand it to him; he TOLD us he was hardcore!

by Anonymousreply 3505/09/2013

R33 is correct. They don't want no stanky infidel germs in their holy place.

by Anonymousreply 3605/09/2013

R34 Yes. They have guarded stations on the highways entering the city. You have to show your passport to enter. And in order to get a Saudi visa, you must state your religion, which is entered into your passport.

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2013

Which is not an issue because they import all their workers from Indonesia, Pakistan, and other poor Islamic countries.

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2013

Isn't it always about cock size?

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2013

I think some guys on here would be surprised at how easy and copious gay-cruising and gay sex are in Muslim-holy Saudi Arabia. Many good-looking young men, too.

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2013

I'm sure what I'm about to say is fatwah-worthy, but all of those men packed in together and moving about must make for an erotic experience. You could practically put your cock right up someone's ass without people around noticing.

by Anonymousreply 4105/09/2013

You can't be a citizen in Saudi Arabia unless you are a Muslim. No public display of any other religion is allowed.

by Anonymousreply 4205/09/2013

The world's most expensive pen for wild animals.

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2013

I've been there, as an atheist, and never said I was Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2013

The scale of that complex in Mecca is astonishing, it makes the enormous mosque at its' feet seem minuscule in comparison. The clock itself is ridiculously huge, it's just so unbelievably tacky, I sort of love it for it's audaciousness, it's amazing they allowed it towering over the holiest site in Islam.

by Anonymousreply 4505/09/2013

R44 You were in Mecca or in the country? If you were there, what did you put down as "religion" on your visa application? I had a friend who put "none" and was refused. They'd rather have a Jew than an atheist.

by Anonymousreply 4605/09/2013

Is that really true, r46? I don't know why they can't just stay in their intolerant countries, instead of insisting on buying property in or visiting tolerant countries.

If we can't go there, then you can't come here. Simple.

by Anonymousreply 4705/09/2013

I totally agree that the architecture says a lot. Same with Dubai and China and McMansion burbs.

by Anonymousreply 4805/09/2013

[quote]Non-Muslims are not permitted to enter Mecca under Saudi law,and using fraudulent documents to do so may result in arrest and prosecution. Nevertheless, many non-Muslims have visited the city. The first such recorded example is that of Ludovico di Varthema of Bologna in 1503. Guru Nanak Sahib, the founder of Sikhism, visited Mecca in December 1518.One of the most famous was Richard Francis Burton, who traveled as a Qadiriyyah Sufi from Afghanistan in 1853. The Saudi government supports their position usingSura 9:28 from the Qur'an: O ye who believe! Truly the Pagans are unclean; so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque.

by Anonymousreply 4905/09/2013

[quote]Is any other proof needed of the tasteless insanity of a country than its "landmark" architecture?

No, there's not.

Exhibit A:

by Anonymousreply 5005/09/2013

Exhibit B:

by Anonymousreply 5105/09/2013

You've been to Mecca? How did that work?

by Anonymousreply 5205/10/2013

It's the death penalty if you're caught.

by Anonymousreply 5305/10/2013

The clock is not cool. It's sacreligious since it can be seen overlooking the mosque.

by Anonymousreply 5405/10/2013

Burj Khalifa built by Chicago architect Adrian Smith.

by Anonymousreply 5505/10/2013

[quote]The issue is not the size. It's tacky.

Christ! If I only had a dollar for every time I've heard that!

by Anonymousreply 5605/10/2013

Wikipedia says Skidmore Owings & Merrill, which was Smith's employer before he went out on his own, and they have managed to careful detach him from any credit.

by Anonymousreply 5705/10/2013

[quote]You do know that you're not even allowed to get anywhere near Mecca unless you're a Muslim, right?

That's okay with me.

by Anonymousreply 5805/10/2013

Exhibit C

by Anonymousreply 5905/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!