Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My cat a bitten by a brown recluse spider

It took less than 48 hrs for the venom to do this much damage. I just brought her home from the vet today. I feel so bad for her.

This is a pic of her before the surgery.

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2014

Holy Shit! Thats horrible! I'm so sorry OP. She going to be ok? Why the need for surgery?

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

Here's a pic of her after the surgery. The venom destroyed so much tissue that the vet barely had enough skin to sew it together. Her ears are now lop sided.

Check your pets everyday for bites.

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

She needed surgery to remove all the necrotic tissue R1.

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

I was bitten by one and it was horrible...5 days in the hospital and lots of i.v. drugs including leprosy medicine to stop the tissue from dying. The pain is awful.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

Omg how awful lots of hugs to your cat keep us posted on her recovery

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

My cat had a bite that looked like that, but it was from another cat per my Vet. He had to have an IV antibiotic drip & have the bite flushed out & cleaned up. I hope he gets better soon OP.

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2013

OMG, I hope your cat is alright.

by Anonymousreply 705/09/2013

I spread organic diatomaceous earth around the perimeters of my rooms, and behind the stove and refrigerator. I also set off insect bombs in my storage shed and spread diatomaceous earth there.

My neighbor laughed at me, but two friends have been bitten by brown recluse spiders. One of them has no use of her right hand (she believes she was bitten when she removed some books from a storage closet). Although they were able to save her fingers, it was for cosmetic purposes.

Your poor cat, OP. I hope she recovers well.

by Anonymousreply 805/09/2013

Omg! Where did she encounter the spider? Is she an outdoor kitty?

by Anonymousreply 905/09/2013

I gave Kiki her pain meds about a half an hour ago and she's now sleeping. When she wakes up I'm going to give her her most favorite treat...canned cat food.

She has to wear an E collar, which she hates with a passion. I don't want her opening up that wound. I have to take her back to the vet on Saturday for a follow up.

I'm going to go get her some temptations treats tomorrow. She loves those.

by Anonymousreply 1005/09/2013

I hope you find that spider and SMASH it!

by Anonymousreply 1105/09/2013

So sorry, OP. I'm sure she is being well cared for by you.

by Anonymousreply 1205/09/2013

My cats are all indoor cats so that means the little bastard is somewhere in my house! I'm going to have the house fogged to try and kill it but the bug guy says that rarely gets them because they hide in walls and crevasses. I've been looking for it though.

by Anonymousreply 1305/09/2013

Get her a boo boo balloon instead of the ecollar. If you read the wiki on brown recluse, they rarely bite. Theres an anecdote of an infested house with thousands of spiders and none of the people were bitten in 30 years of coexisting with them.

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2013

R13, skip the fog and buy about ten pounds of organic diatomaceous earth. Sprinkle it in your closets and around the perimeters of your rooms. I made sure it was down between the carpeting and the floor. I also made sure the kitchen, baths and laundry room got well covered. They love to hide in dark areas.

Diatomaceous earth is not poisonous to you or your pets. It does a great job of killing spiders, roaches, bed bugs and fleas.

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2013

My cat was bitten by a brow recluse today he got meds and he still looks bad what should I do contact back asap

by Anonymousreply 1607/29/2014

OP, how is your cat doing now over a year later ?

by Anonymousreply 1707/29/2014

You should OBVIOUSLY turn to the DL for help in these matters, R16!

by Anonymousreply 1807/29/2014

Emergency pet hospital, r16.

by Anonymousreply 1907/29/2014

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 2007/29/2014

i hate bugs

by Anonymousreply 2107/29/2014

R16, sounds like your cat has already seen the vet -- if you think it's getting worse, call your vet's emergency line, or keep an eye on the cat and call your vet the minute they open in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 2207/29/2014

Until a few years ago I really had no idea how much damage a spider bit can do to living tissue. Like most folks, I was aware of scorpions, tarantulas, black widows but hadn't been aware that many of the little guys can really cost you a lot more than just some pain. Online info says that most of the them aren't much of a threat but I'll tell you, from now on I'm not giving them a chance to either.

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2014

What state do you live in? Curious where brown recluse spiders live...they have a nasty reputation like Black Widows.

by Anonymousreply 2407/30/2014

It's probably from another cat or an infected tick bite.

Cats have a bacteria in their saliva that is toxic. If a cat bites a bird and the bird gets away, it will still die within 2 weeks, even if the bird looks like it is recovering. Unless the bird gets antibiotics ASAP, it's a goner.

And that is why cats get abscesses when they get into a contretemps with another cat. The toxin in their saliva causes an infection.

Ticks like the lone star tick can deliver a nasty bite that is very itchy. The cat scratches the bite with its un-disinfected paws and infects the bite. This happens to people, too (like me. I even disinfected and used triple antibiotic cream and still got a local skin infection. And lemme tell you, that tick was TINY. A little bigger than the head of a pin but it delivered a big nasty bite).

The location of the bite is where cats bite each other. Dogs go for the throat; cats go for behind the ears and the upper neck.They pin the other cat down and bite that area.

It just seems highly unlikely that a brown recluse spider would bite a cat, particularly in that area.

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2014

thanks to someone bumping this thread I am now going to buy that d.... whatever earth, stuff. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2014

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2014

R25 is correct. Whats FAR more likely is that the vet just told OP her cat was bitten by the recluse spider so he could charge $$$$$$. Believe me, I used to work for one.

by Anonymousreply 2807/30/2014

Poor little thing. :(

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2014

Oh I'm so sorry for your little one. I hope he/she is better very soon!!! I'll put all my good vibes into the ether for a speedy recovery.

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2014

OP, this is why I ask to be LEFT ALONE.

by Anonymousreply 3107/30/2014

Brown recluse spiders love hoarders whose homes offer piles and piles of junk to hide .

Hoarders love cats.

Cats have an innate fascination with spiders.

This was bound to happen .

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.