Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Marry a Man

New Funny or Die video with Ed Norton, James Franco and a bunch of others that starts one way and ends up another.

This really is a brave new world!

by Anonymousreply 6305/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 105/09/2013

I know!

by Anonymousreply 205/09/2013

Not funny nor clever.

by Anonymousreply 305/09/2013

That was not funny. Kudos to Mr. Franco for not walking out on the jerk.

by Anonymousreply 405/09/2013

Who played Franco's husband?

by Anonymousreply 505/09/2013

I enjoyed it. The three gay weddings seemed very sincere.

by Anonymousreply 605/09/2013

I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 705/09/2013

I didn't get it. Someone explain.

by Anonymousreply 805/09/2013

I didn't get the video, either. Of course, r4 is an idiot. Franco was IN ON THE WHOLE THING because it was clearly all done for laughs. And the fact that would even have to be explained is an indictment on the basic intellect of poor R4 (unless his POST was a parody, of course.)

The video, rather than being gay supportive, seems to MOCK gay marriage, actually. As if marrying a man would be something only drunk frat boys on spring break would do as a joke. And that it is really repulsive and silly, hence the "joke."

by Anonymousreply 905/09/2013

R6, really? REALLY? "Get fucked up, do jello shots, clog up toilets, spring break....marry a man!" That is "sincere?"

by Anonymousreply 1005/09/2013

In the 50s it would have been a novelty song about meeting crazy negros on the integrated bus.

There's no question. The "bro-humor" of the 2010s is the last vestige of straight white privilege. It's the old boys' club all over again.

James Franco is dead to me.

And I'll let you in on a secret I heard from someone in the know: James Franco is/was the pass-around fuck toy of powerful people (male and female) in the art world. They might not be household names but they are, in their own way, just as wealthy and powerful in their realm as those in Hollywood, sometimes more so. He desperately wants in, but they really only stop making fun of him and his awful "art" long enough to try to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 1105/09/2013

This is so much better

by Anonymousreply 1205/09/2013

R10, the courtship and wedding scenes were not done in a drunken state but rather soberly - picking out the food, selecting the flowers, meeting the future in-laws, the ceremony itself and posing for photos afterwards - were all done sincerely and not in a mocking way.

by Anonymousreply 1305/09/2013

Oh, wake up, r13. It's the punchline to a joke, not romantic drama in the vein of "The Way We Were."

The images are meant to be funny in that they take familiar scenarios from heterosexual marriages and replace them with two men. The suggestion is that marrying a man is something weird, funny, random, laughable and undesirable. Something for straight guys to LAUGH at.

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2013

What the hell was that all about?

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2013

Funny or Die has tons of gay-positive videos, even some with lots of humor.

by Anonymousreply 1605/09/2013

This isn't one of them, r16.

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2013

Is it supposed to suggest the ultimate contrast?

Otherwise, I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 1905/09/2013

Andy Samberg needs to come out already.

Yes, his 'gay' humor is mocking. But he seems OBSESSED with it. Everything he does is 'homo-erotic'.

by Anonymousreply 2005/09/2013

He's a bottom, right?

by Anonymousreply 2105/09/2013

I want to make out with that Zach galafriankis bear, then slap him. Is that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2013

r18, I questioned that, too. Could it possibly be (and I doubt it) that the video is supposed to simply force straight fratboy types to get USED to the notion of gay marriage, to at least get a dialogue going? To acknowledge that it is a reality and they better get used to it? Because if that is the intention, it fails miserably. This video simply gives phobes and stupid people more AMMO to mock it, to laugh at it, to make fun of it. There is no way that video puts gays in a good light. At least that was the reaction I had to it. And apparently most other posters, too.

by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2013

Maybe it is saying there are guys engaging in this extreme behavior of drinking and excessing on women and exploitive behavior of those women who are in fact hiding in the closet. Desperate attempt at seeming straight and using the most fucked up behavior to do so.

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2013

I have always thought Samburg was gay but now I think all the guys who participated, Galifinakis, Norton, Franco are too.

by Anonymousreply 2505/09/2013

R23, I don't think that's it.

Like I said, I think it's meant to highlight a contrast between the ultimate macho hetero-ness of the antics of Spring break and the not-so-much of a serene, gay wedding.

Putting the two together is like some kind of joke, yes? Or is it a bigger/larger message that the two can co-exist?

I still don't know.

Either way--fail.

by Anonymousreply 2605/09/2013

Now, you might be on to something, R24.

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2013

r25, why in the world would you think that? Because they did something that supports gay marriage? Because straight men would not participate in this?

It's not even gay positive, questionably.

by Anonymousreply 2805/09/2013

But I think THEY think they are being gay positive and edgy in the way they are saying it.

I don't think any of those actors would bash gay people. Especially not Franco. I think they are "tone deaf" in this case. Don't realize they missed the mark.

by Anonymousreply 2905/09/2013

Thanks 18 try viewing it with that in mind and let me know if what i said makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 3005/09/2013

I believe the video is supposed to contrast how gay marriage is not accepted but straight men getting as much pussy as they can is. It is confusing though, or am I just getting old?

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2013

After watching it again I think it could also be saying to the frat boy that one thing does not effect the other. You might want to go on spring break, get fucked up and get as much pussy as possible, great. Two guys who want to get married doesn't fuck with that. You do you. Let gay people be gay and get married. No problems.

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2013

It's a little hard to see who the fratboys are because of the sunglasses, but one is definitely Samburg, who is also one of the grooms, so that messes a little with r32's theory and adds a little weight to r24.

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2013

By joves I think we've got it!!

by Anonymousreply 3405/09/2013

Are these hip-hop parodies the only thing Andy Samberg does anymore? Even on SNL he was noted mostly for these, and I'm wondering exactly how much gas that car has left.

by Anonymousreply 3505/09/2013

I'm delighted Ed Norton "Gets" the joke while being so cutting edge. It's almost like he's capable of being glib or something.

by Anonymousreply 3605/09/2013

I didn't especially care for "wearing beer goggles if she's a hag" part.

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2013

r34, that would be by Jove (capitalized) since Jove a/k/a Jupiter is the supreme deity of the ancient Romans.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2013

OK well I didn't capitalize it but the plural was intentional because in this case it took a village.

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2013

Marry the man today, maybe he's leaving town...don't let him get away, hurry and track him down!

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2013

Give him your hand today And save the fist...for after!

by Anonymousreply 4105/09/2013

You are a bunch of humorless dykes.

It's contrasting stupid stereotypically masculine bro behavior (which has historically been celebrated) with a redefined version of masculinity (legal gay marriage) that should be celebrated.

The bros look like idiots, the gays very tender and sweet.

Maybe you're too young to recall true antigay messaging in comedy and music?

by Anonymousreply 4205/09/2013

R42, I am far from a humorless dyke but your description is not apparent or obvious at ALL from watching that video. Nice notion, if true, but fails in the execution.

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2013

just watched it again, I think they're just making fun of the spring break bro mindset, which is all about extreme behavior, and then said, 'well what would be the opposite of this?... settling down and getting married!... wait, getting married to a MAN!'

I don't know what the big deal is. humor helps break down walls if we can't laugh at and with each other, then you've given up on 'funny' and left with 'or die'

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2013

The wedding scenes are all done pretty straight-faced, so to speak.

It's nice to see affection (hand holding, nuzzling, kissing) between males, especially famous ones like Ed Norton, James Franco, Zack Galifinakos and Andy Samburg.

by Anonymousreply 4505/09/2013

It has to be a brave new world if a supercilious person like Ed Norton appears on Funny or Die.

by Anonymousreply 4605/09/2013

supercilious — adj.

Displaying arrogant pride, scorn, or indifference.

by Anonymousreply 4705/09/2013

This closet-case Franco is really getting tiresome. And I'm so tired of how being gay is supposed to be a joke.

by Anonymousreply 4805/09/2013

Franco's comment after the video was "cool." Doesn't sound mocking.

by Anonymousreply 4905/09/2013

Did Edward Norton demand script approval, a producer credut and a director credit?

by Anonymousreply 5005/09/2013

Ed looks so...different now.

by Anonymousreply 5105/09/2013

Enough chatter, who was the hot shirtless blond guy towards the end of the video ??

by Anonymousreply 5205/09/2013

Ed looks so different since Avengers. I think he lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 5305/10/2013

Well, that was awful. Not even remotely amusing.

by Anonymousreply 5405/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 5505/10/2013

Absurdism at its best

by Anonymousreply 5605/10/2013

R53, Ed wasn't in The Avengers.

by Anonymousreply 5705/10/2013

It didn't make much sense but in watched it three times anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5805/11/2013

Poor Ed. Everyone seems to forgotten him since Ryan Gosaling came along...

by Anonymousreply 5905/11/2013

What are you talking about, R59? Ryan Gosling and Edward Norton are not remotely the same. They aren't even in the same age group.

by Anonymousreply 6005/11/2013

Not fun. Posed as something intelligent but it was just a splice of typical spring hubbub and some sincerely played stereotypical gay marriage crap, uninvested with humor or reality.

by Anonymousreply 6105/11/2013

I'm sure those five minutes of your life could have been much better spent saving the world or curing the common cold.

by Anonymousreply 6205/12/2013

James Franco should do full frontal nudity before he gets too hold...

by Anonymousreply 6305/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!