Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DL Scientists, Why do some cultures develop far superior architecture, styles of dance, music, art, etc?

I don't believe it was due to alien visitors from outer space or the influence of God on natural creativity.

by Anonymousreply 2405/10/2013

Its related to how much and what kind of contact one culture has with another. The more contact the more likely they are going to advance. The more isolated a civilization or culture, the less likely it is going to advance beyond what it needs to simply survive. Also the idea that something like ones dance or music or art is superior over others is subjective.

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

Civilization in locations where natural resources like animals that could be domesticated and crops that could be grown in large quantities produced enough surplus food that many workers were able to focus on other, specialized crafts and trades. Once discovered, these agricultural techniques spread, but only to nearby places with similar climate.

Populations in locations that did not have such animals or the right climate to grow grains remained hunter-gatherer societies where all of the group's work had to go to getting enough food to survive. Groups that were isolated from innovation elsewhere were also held back.

The longer a society was rich enough to dedicate labor to the arts, the more these arts flourished.

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

"Far superior" in art by what standard?

Why do Andy Wharhol's traced Campbell's soup can images command millions of dollars vs. the original output of many thousands of artists and craftspeople?

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

R3, I was originally thinking of the ancient work done in Maachu Picchu (sp) that was debunked as the result of "alien visitors" re the History Channel's programming.

Of course money does not equal talent or superiority of skill.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

According to ancient astronaut theorists...

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

Materials OP. Most of the ancient world built in perishable materials so their shit didn't last.

by Anonymousreply 605/09/2013

Even better R5, "most leading ancient astronaut theorists now believe...."

by Anonymousreply 705/09/2013

They were building houses with built-in furniture in the north of Scotland 5,500 years ago, some of the villages and settlements still remain. Nobody thought that was aliens. Maybe that's because there's a strong tradition of respect for education there, very few people who believe the earth is 6000 years old.

by Anonymousreply 805/09/2013

Or R7, "Is it possible that...? I think so!"

by Anonymousreply 905/09/2013

The luck of Pangaea?

by Anonymousreply 1005/09/2013

Also necessity - you don't need a stone shelter to protect you from the cold if you live in a moderate climate.

by Anonymousreply 1105/09/2013

Societies which promote individuality always do well with creativity.

Societies who promote conformity don't do well.

Both types have music, art and dance.

America has become very conformist in the last 15 years. Hence Taylor Swift, Reality TV etc.

by Anonymousreply 1205/09/2013

America was more conformist fifteen years ago than it is now R12. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 1305/09/2013

The question is who measures the superiority of culture? Judging by DL, the standards are highly subjective and often perverse.

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2013

Do you have a link about that, R8?

(I don't disbelieve you, I just find it interesting.)

by Anonymousreply 1505/10/2013

The PC cultural relavtivists always get pissy when cultures get evaluated. Then they start lying about proportion (or pretending there's no such thing).

by Anonymousreply 1605/10/2013

OK, so how come some societies are more militaristic? It can't just be about scarce resources.

Again I acknowledge that I should have chosen another word other than "superior." Would "advanced" have been better for what I was trying to convey?

by Anonymousreply 1705/10/2013

Leadership can form culture. Hitler had terrible taste in art, good artists were driven away and bad art became popular.

by Anonymousreply 1805/10/2013

r18, you realize claiming your idea of art is "good" and someone else's is "bad" is totally arbitrary, right?

by Anonymousreply 1905/10/2013

I follow a Greek Art and Architecture page on facebook and am constantly stunned by how even the failed concrete monstrosities lingering unfinished due to the current economic collapse are SO COOL. And things like Santorini and the Meteora monasteries aren't even really put out there as "Greek's contribution to architecture." That is just stuff that happened when they were not really trying.

I am going to have to just throw out the idea that when it comes to architecture, location is key.

by Anonymousreply 2005/10/2013

Ironically, R18, Hitler was an artist himself. A mediocre one, unfortunately. Had he been more skilled, world history might have turned out differently.

by Anonymousreply 2105/10/2013

R19, yes I do. Let's pretend for a minute that you had to choose either "Mob Wives" or "The Godfather" as an enduring representation of our artistic abilities. Because it is subjective, is its quality or value impossible to measure?

by Anonymousreply 2205/10/2013

R15. There's too many to link to, but you could start with Googling Skara Brae. There's also Knap of Howar, Barnhouse Settlement, Maeshowe, Broch of Mousa, lots of places - there's a list of the worlds oldest buildings on Wikipedia.

All these places predate the pyramids. I used to think the most ancient buildings were all around the Mediterranean but turns out the oldest are in Northern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 2305/10/2013

R23, The things that you can learn on DL are truly "amazing." (What a trite word that has become today IMHO.) Now why do you think that ancient society developed such a sophisticated form of architecture? Alien super-beings from outer space? LOL

by Anonymousreply 2405/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!