Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who is your hero growing up and at present?

I was just reading [italic]The Glass Castle[/italic] and the Jeannette's dad's hero was Chuck Yeager (a brigadier). Funny how a grown adult man can have a hero.

It had me thinking. I only ever had one person that came close to being a hero and that was a celebrity/actor. How does one have a hero that one can't even observe. In acting, you see the person a lot.

So, I'm guessing people who's heroes were astronauts, writers...etc, are impressed by their accomplishments?

by Anonymousreply 1005/09/2013

Diamanda Galas.

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

When I discovered Gore Vidal's writing, he became my hero.

I did see him at lectures and in interviews from time to time but I admired his writing before I saw him. His ideas, his wit, his ballsy bravado - that's what I found so admirable and worthy of my respect. It wasn't necessary to see him at all.

I'm presuming you are the tedious Ledger troll, OP. Wanting to fuck someone and obsessing on a celebrity is not the same thing as having a hero.

As many DLers have advised you already - please seek professional help.

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

Fuck, would you please stop talking about FOOD.

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

My hero growing up: my daddy.

At present: ME.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

[quote]Wanting to fuck someone and obsessing on a celebrity is not the same thing as having a hero.

Amen. A celebrity crush is not a hero.

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

Kurt Vonnegut. Also, the Roosevelts (FDR & Eleanor).

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2013

R2, R5, I think I phrased it wrong in the OP. My admiration of Heath Ledger is not just based on physical appearance (there are scores of good looking celebrity) and my obsession is a result of how legendary his acting skills are.

What I was trying to say was someone like Chuck Yeager's accomplishment cannot be [italic]enjoyed[/italic] in the same way that an actor's accomplishment could be enjoyed. You can only [italic]hear[/italic] about his accomplishments. You cannot [bold]see[/bold]or even [italic]experience[/italic] his accomplishments (if that makes any sense). I understand Gore Vidal is your hero R2 :)

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

Sorry, OP, but Ledger's acting skills were far from legendary.

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

I agree, R8. I didn't like Ledger's performance as "Joker".

by Anonymousreply 905/09/2013

Shelley Hack, Shelley Hack

by Anonymousreply 1005/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.