Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #111 - "There Must Be a Tony!" Edition

Tony snubs and flubs! Shockeroos! Did Bette hit the booze?

Will Ms. Midler graciously appear and present? If they wanted a little spice, they could have her present the award for Best Actress in a Play.

The nominees: Does Nathan's Nance have a chance? Does Ms. Miller carry the patina of a winner, or will Carolee Carmello pull off an Aimee Semple miracle? Will Vicky Clark fly her way to a second Tony, or will she crash and burn under Andrea Martin's hire-wire act? Will Best Actor in a musical be a real drag?

Karen Ziemba! Broadway's sweetheart is back, showing 'em how it's done in "On Your Toes.' Gwen got CHICAGO in her 50s - who's going to give KZ one last starring song-and-dance lead turn?

More Tony: Cicely Tyson risin'? Or will Kristine Nielson be takin' home the Tony bacon?

The PASSION CD scandal - Melissa Errico out, Rebecca Luker in! Is there a story beyond "vocal rest"?

And wait, there's more! The Michael Arden pictures - legendary, or apocryphal? Baldwin's beef with Brantley! Encores chorus boys admiring Shonn's Wiley?

And the Tony goes to ...

by Anonymousreply 60505/20/2013

Kathleen Chalfant and Kate Mulgrew have been spotted together around town.

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

Love you OP.

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

Any pics of Marc Thibodeaux?

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

Chalfant and Mulfgrew - what's brewing? A project or an affair?

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

Here's Thibodeau's website

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

Seriously, what IS the story with Errico and Passion? She was out with bronchitis - but now it's several weeks later and she's had to "go back on vocal rest"???

I wonder how much it's costing PS Classics to fly people back in who were no longer in NY?

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2013

Doesn't Errico have a history of missing shows?

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

Even if I only get a small role I will overact to call attention to myself!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

There was some weirdness about Errico missing shows, yes.

Very unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2013

R10 must be out of his meds again.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

r10....short, concise to the point....learn it live it

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2013

Oh good God, I'd give up my subsidized Manhattan Plaza palace if R10 would never post again!

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

R10 needs some PIPPIN. And a hug.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2013

Then why are you reading a theatre thread on DL?

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2013

Why are all Encores shows dance extravaganzas now? Yes, ON YOUR TOES is a dance show, and there is a great dance for the title song, but why can't we pick shows for the songs: the singing and the orchestra and people on scripts.

Each show tries to top the other in dancing and I feel like everything else is dwarfed by it now. People expect it. What would happen if they ever presented an encores with people with music stands reading on book and singing off.

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2013

You would really prefer to see an ON YOUR TOES at music stands, r17?

I don't know what you mean about the Encores shows becoming dance extravaganzas. It seems to me they dance when dance is called for in the show; if the show calls for very little dance - like MERRILY, for example - there's very little dance. If the show calls for a lot, then they do it.

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2013

[quote]Kathleen Chalfant and Kate Mulgrew have been spotted together around town.

You know they are doing a show together at the Vineyard Theater, right?

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2013

R10, I'm sorry you've never had any friends.

You clearly don't understand how to express appreciation with a little teasing - sometimes good natured, sometimes tough. That's what people who like each other or who appreciate something or someone too.

Sorry you have to be such a butthurt fuckwit about it and piss on everyone's parade.

by Anonymousreply 2005/09/2013

r10 is a college student.

by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2013

r10, you really think these theatre threads are contemptuous of KZ? I get the sense of a lot of affection for her on these threads.

by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2013

I'd rather them talk about me than not talk at all. Why don't you talk about me?

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2013

Debra, are you fat or thin at the moment? I never know what to expect with you....

by Anonymousreply 2605/09/2013

R10 is crazy. Karen Ziemba is ADORED on this board. It's genuine, not for play. The person who impersonates her does it with affection, too - portraying her as a genuinely sweet theatre booster.

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2013

The Karen stuff has been going on for years here. I've never known if its one person or many. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not. I miss fake mlop.

by Anonymousreply 2805/09/2013

On Your Toes dress rehearsal: Irina Dvorovenko is terrible as the prima. Painful to watch her on stage, but then I've never even had any interest in her at ABT. Princess Zenobia ballet that ends Act I is painful to watch. Only the dance sequences should be done and forget the book and even some of the songs.

Wonderful to see Karen tapping again!

by Anonymousreply 2905/09/2013

Will The First Wives Club ever be attempted again? It could make a great musical, but that songwriting team just sounded wrong from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 3005/09/2013

Shonn Wiley sweats like a pig all through ON YOUR TOES, often having to take out his handkerchief to mop his face in the middle of scenes - and I would just like to personally volunteer to lick every drop of sweat out of his armpits and asshole post-performance.

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2013

"It really baffles me."

For sure it do, honey lamb. Now lies down and lets Mama Tiny put a cold compress on your haid.

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2013

Shonn Wiley was married to that bitch Merideth Patterson!!??

So is he gay now? Did they have kids?

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2013

Meredith Patterson moved to LA. She's talented, but she's one of those actors that people only want to work with once. Burns a lot of bridges. She doesn't come off well in that Chorus Line documentary.

by Anonymousreply 3405/09/2013

Shonn Wiley does not read as a person who loves sticking his face in a pussy and chowing down on it.

by Anonymousreply 3505/09/2013

[quote]I miss fake mlop.

Fake mlop will nevwr die as long as long as their are people who love the thaeter in their hearts foreve.

by Anonymousreply 3605/09/2013

R10 is not a college student, but John Weir IS a college professor.

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2013

All right, boys and girls, only one thing can bring her back - repeat after me:

I do believe in fake mop! I do believe in fake mop!

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2013

The On Your Toes title number is the best moment in the show because none of the leads are in it.

Slaughter on Tenth Ave is sub-par Balanchine.

And someone get Chistine Baranski out of those clown pants and wig.

And as an actor, Walter Bobbie is a fantastic director.

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2013

C'mon, the "character" Karen Ziemba here took over the part of the lovely real Miss Z years ago. One or two snarks about KZ gave birth to the Diva portrayed today.

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2013

This board is filled with stuff about Broadway's crazy diva bitches - Donna Murphy, Patti LuPone, Betty Buckley, Bebe Neuwirth, etc.

It's much more creative to have a little fun with KZ - known for her devoted work ethic and positive attitude.

Interesting that none of those gals who did show their hairy beavers back in 1984 actually went anywhere career-wise.

by Anonymousreply 4105/09/2013

Eww. Hair beavers... We're off to a rollicking overnight start!

by Anonymousreply 4205/09/2013

Kareen Zimda has the class andteh sass, like Chits Rivers

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2013

I can't find the Vanity Fair REBECCA/Marc Thibodeau article online anywhere. What's in it that's so damning? I'd have thought Thibodeau would have come off as the hero of this farce.

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2013

I am here and do not leave this. Article about my good fried Karen Mason and the Rebecca debaclle in Vanity Fiar this month. worth reading 1f you get a chance.

a little dance a little class whatever it is you hav e it is.

Maryann

by Anonymousreply 4505/09/2013

R44- I read the article (June issue). I think it's because he sent e-mails using fake names to warn producers about the non exisitent 'angels' who were going to fund the show. He did that instead of coming clean with the facts after he first discovered them. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 4605/09/2013

OP James KIrkwood tips his hate to you.

ANd as for the rest of you KZ trolls, please start your own thread about that soccer mom with minimum talent and good fortune to befriend Scotty Ellis and Susy Stro.

by Anonymousreply 4705/09/2013

r47 sucks and makes everything it touch suck as well.

by Anonymousreply 4805/09/2013

Any reports yet on whether preggers Kelli is looking fat and waddling her way across the stage at FAR FROM HEAVEN?

by Anonymousreply 4905/09/2013

Is it true that George Abbott gave Makarova every line reading so that she could get the laughs? Encores production is really good with the most incredible title number choreography-thrilling beyond words.

by Anonymousreply 5005/09/2013

The Karen Ziemba stuff on these threads is like the Red Dragon cheese references--comedy gold to the people who were in on the original joke but just turds in the thread to the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 5105/09/2013

If Encores does "Most Happy Fella" next season, who better than Cheyenne Jackson as Joey?

And Peter Gerety as Tony?

by Anonymousreply 5205/09/2013

The more disturbing fact with Thibodeau is that after the first money dropped out, it was actually legitimately replaced. But Thibodeau took it on himself to scare off the investor who was replacing it. And he lied about that to everyone. I don't know anyone who would hire him after this, but its not really a secret that press agents say one thing to producers, and another to the rest of the world. Chris Boneau has made an art of it.

by Anonymousreply 5305/09/2013

[quote] The more disturbing fact with Thibodeau is that after the first money dropped out, it was actually legitimately replaced. But Thibodeau took it on himself to scare off the investor who was replacing it.

He apparently created fake email addresses at his home and then sent emails from them at a Fedex and scared off investors. Apparently they can trace where an email address is created and he didn't know this. Whoops.

by Anonymousreply 5405/09/2013

OP, "There Must Be A Tony"? Fucking brilliant. Absolutely love that and it's almost worth the $18 I'll have to shell out to renew in a few weeks.

Yes, adding to the chorus that we are very fond of Karen Ziemba and we kid because we love.

by Anonymousreply 5505/09/2013

"Most Happy Fella"???? I thought the purpose of Encores was to do shows that wouldn't be getting a full production normally. Hardly true of MHF.

by Anonymousreply 5605/09/2013

[quote] "Most Happy Fella"???? I thought the purpose of Encores was to do shows that wouldn't be getting a full production normally. Hardly true of MHF.

The last revival of MHF on Broadway was in 1992, of a Goodspeed production with dueling pianos and no orchestra. Prior to that, there was a Broadway revival in 1979 that ran for 53 performances.

NYCO did a production in 1991 with Louis Quillico as Tony and DL fave Karen Ziemba as Cleo. They also did a production in 2005 with Paul Sorvino. But MHF is relegated to opera companies mostly these days, not a real Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2013

That mission was abandoned years ago, r57.

by Anonymousreply 5805/09/2013

Fake mlop appears when fake mlop is needed. Like a fairy godmother.

Too many fake mlops try too hard.

by Anonymousreply 5905/09/2013

What will it take to revive RAGS

That is such an underrated musical.

by Anonymousreply 6005/09/2013

THE MOST HAPPY FELLA?

This is all from my now-fading 48 year old memory, but I vaguely recall seeing a Broadway production with Giorgo Tozzi (sp?) which closed early because it was overwhelmed by the revival of another revival, Guys and Dolls, maybe?

I can recall the narrative being history repeated itself, because the same thing happened when the original production opened.

by Anonymousreply 6105/09/2013

Wanted to make sure that everyone on this thread is aware of the hugely important info reported in the Aaron Tveit thread: the new USA show "Graceland" includes a close-up of Aaron putting flip-flops on his beautiful feets.

by Anonymousreply 6205/09/2013

[quote] This is all from my now-fading 48 year old memory, but I vaguely recall seeing a Broadway production with Giorgo Tozzi (sp?) which closed early because it was overwhelmed by the revival of another revival, Guys and Dolls, maybe?

that was the 1979 revival that closed after 53 performances.

by Anonymousreply 6305/09/2013

Yes R61. I saw the final performance. I knew Dennis Warning RIP who played Herman ("Standing on the Corner") in that production. The show originated in Houston @ Houston Grand Opera I believe. It was taped and shown on PBS. Tozzi was joined by Sharon Daniels who played Amy/Rosabella. For the two matinees, Mr. Tozzi and Ms. Daniels roles were played by Richard White, currently in JEKYLL & HYDE tour and Linda Michele.

by Anonymousreply 6405/09/2013

Love to you R59

by Anonymousreply 6505/09/2013

The TIMES obsessive shilling for MATILDA continues. If only the audiences felt the same way.

by Anonymousreply 6605/09/2013

The original Karen Ziemba Troll here--

If you all want, I'll stop. I don't want any flame wars over her,or over HERE as the case may be. Certainly not among fans like all of us who are passionate about theatre. We don't want to end up like the soap opera threads. I post over there and those threads are constantly being shut down. I did not mean to upset people. All of it is meant in good spirited fun for a lady who I have met, I know people who have worked with her and, Ms. Ziemba is someone I honestly adore. I do agree that the Playboy digs (not from me) are a little harsh. But everything I have posted has been to bring a little sunshine to the board.

Now back to Encores and Most Happy Fella

xo

by Anonymousreply 6705/09/2013

I don't get the love for MOST HAPPY FELLA. It's always treated like some sacred cow. It's such a boring score. It's lesser Loesser.

by Anonymousreply 6805/09/2013

R66 Friends of mine, who work in theatre, went in wanting to love the show but they had difficulty understanding the British accents and missed a great deal of dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 6905/09/2013

Re FELLA- There are some lovely songs in that score "How Beautiful the Days," "Somebody Somewhere." and my personal favorite, "Song of a Summer Night." I do feel that it sort of falls apart in the final scene with will she stay on or get off the bus.

by Anonymousreply 7005/09/2013

Most Happy Fella is a masterpiece- not just Loesser's masterpiece, but one of the greats of musical theater. (It sits up there with Carousel, Sunday in the Park and Caroline, or Change.)

by Anonymousreply 7105/09/2013

For God's sake, KZ Troll, don't let that one humorless prisspot at r10 stop you from continuing one of the most cherished traditions of the DataLounge theatre threads! Like Peter Pan, you're youth! You're joy! You're the spirit of B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y !! Any conflict just makes it more necessary than ever for you to remind us what brings us all together - this crazy business we call show!

by Anonymousreply 7205/09/2013

[quote](It sits up there with Carousel, Sunday in the Park and Caroline, or Change.)

It's always that THIRD name someone drops that makes me want to call the game over...

by Anonymousreply 7305/09/2013

"For the two matinees, Mr. Tozzi and Ms. Daniels roles were played by Richard White, currently in JEKYLL & HYDE tour and Linda Michele."

I don't think that's quite correct; Richard White is listed on IBDB as understudy for the role of Joe, not Tony. Richard Muenz was Joe, and as far as I know, he didn't have a matinee alternate. At any rate, Richard White was far too young and the wrong type to have played Tony at that point in his career.

by Anonymousreply 7405/09/2013

Casting has started for a musical version of Bull Durham. Yes, Bull Durham. Josh Bergasse (Smash) is choreographing. The Susan Sarandon role sounds great for Megan Hilty.

by Anonymousreply 7505/09/2013

Just looked it up, and opera singer Frederick Burchinal was the Tony alternate in that '79 HAPPY FELLA.

by Anonymousreply 7605/09/2013

You are right R74- I realized my mistake and pulled the playbill out. Good catch and thank you!

by Anonymousreply 7705/09/2013

But Ms. Michele was the alternate for Amy/Rosabella.

by Anonymousreply 7805/09/2013

this isn't gossip

by Anonymousreply 7905/09/2013

Nathan L was on THE VIEW today, shilling THE NANCE to the frau audience. Who, I guess, still adores him.

Even though he had to explain what a nance was. And vaudeville. And a theatre.

Poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 8005/09/2013

OK, R79--- tell us some gossip, 'kay?

by Anonymousreply 8105/09/2013

[quote] tell us some gossip, 'kay?

Kathleen Chalfant and Kate Mulgrew have been spotted together around town.

by Anonymousreply 8205/09/2013

LOL R83. ;)

by Anonymousreply 8305/09/2013

Thoughts on Kinky Boots please?

by Anonymousreply 8405/09/2013

[quote]Thoughts on Kinky Boots please?

Short story: It's crap.

Long story: The book is crap. The score is crap. The performances are (mostly) crap. The direction and choreography are mega-crap.

by Anonymousreply 8505/09/2013

Not to beat a dead horse but the thrilling Most Happy Fella that was done in by a Guys and Dolls revival was the 1992 revival at the Booth Theater, produced by Lincoln Center though originally produced at Goodspeed.

Its glorious stars, including Spiro Malas, Sophie Hayden, Liz Larsen (all Tony noms) and Scott Waara (Tony winner!) have seemingly left the biz.

by Anonymousreply 8605/09/2013

"The last revival of MHF on Broadway was in 1992, of a Goodspeed production with dueling pianos and no orchestra."

And Goodspeed is doing the very same production later this season. Which is why Encores should have chosen another show. But I gave up on Encores' "mission" long ago.

"That is such an underrated musical."'

And for good reason: mediocre book and a shockingly wanna-be-Sondheim score from Strouse. RAGS comes from the era when every music theatre composer was in the thrall of Stevie baby. Now of course, the bar has been set so very much lower and every show sounds with the same pop-rock schlock, and not an individual voice in the entire bunch.

by Anonymousreply 8705/09/2013

"...It sits up there with Carousel, Sunday in the Park and Caroline, or Change."

You blew it with that last one. The worst.

by Anonymousreply 8805/09/2013

RAGS strikes me as being a good Encores show. Some great songs, bad book. Gary Griffin can direct it and cast Kristin Cheno in the lead. She'd make a very convincing Jewish immigrant, in her shocking pink shmata.

by Anonymousreply 8905/09/2013

Yup

by Anonymousreply 9005/09/2013

Cool

by Anonymousreply 9105/09/2013

The musical that "done in" the original Most Happy a fella was My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 9205/09/2013

Ok NYC gays...I'm visiting with some friends in a few weeks and we are going to try to see a couple of shows. I'm a bit more adventurous than them, so to appeal to all of us, I was thinking of either Kinky Boots, Matilda, Motown or the Bette show. My choice would be Matilda and Bette, but maybe something else would be better...assuming we can get tickets for any of them. Advise, please.

by Anonymousreply 9305/09/2013

Liz Larsen is still around and still working.

by Anonymousreply 9405/09/2013

Don't give money to that homophobic pig Bette.

You can also skip Motown. Three hours I'll never get back.

by Anonymousreply 9505/09/2013

Liz only works when she wants to, because of all that RENT money.

by Anonymousreply 9605/09/2013

The last Most Happy Fella was done in by its two-piano orchestration that robbed the show of its grandeur. Frank Rich loved it.

And I agree with those who feel it's one of the greats.

by Anonymousreply 9705/09/2013

I did Annie Get Your Gun with 4 pianas!

by Anonymousreply 9805/09/2013

Most Happy Fella?

Tyne Daly IS Tony.

by Anonymousreply 9905/09/2013

[quote] Most Happy Fella? Tyne Daly IS Tony.

With Sharon Gless as Marie!

by Anonymousreply 10005/09/2013

At least Harvey didn't nail himself to the cross until act two. And then, only with thumbtacks.

by Anonymousreply 10105/09/2013

Spiro Malas, famously, did NOT get a nomination. It was a lovely production, but I did miss the lush sound of a full orchestration. It was also the last show I attended with my friend Gary before he succumbed to AIDS--I recall he was teary at the end, taking pleasure in the goodness of the characters (he did not know it was the last Broadway show he would see), so the production will always have a place in my heart.

Yeah, I know...MARY!....deal with it--people have emotions.

by Anonymousreply 10205/09/2013

R93- If you want to see the two best musicals playing in New York you won't find them on Broadway: Here Lies Love and Natasha, Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812.

If you must stick to The Great White Way go for Matilda, Pippin and Vanya and Sonia.

Kinky Boots is crap and I'll Eat You Last is harmless, but far overrated from what Mr. Isherwood would have you believe.

Motown is dumb, but well sung and danced. There is a certain hilarity in the lengths Gordy goes to paint himself a saint. (According the self-penned book he practically ended racism!)

by Anonymousreply 10305/09/2013

"Gwen got CHICAGO in her 50s - who's going to give KZ one last starring song-and-dance lead turn?"

Oh, darling, there's PLENTY of time for that.

by Anonymousreply 10405/09/2013

Karen Ziemba IS Sally Bowles!

by Anonymousreply 10505/09/2013

Brantley liked ON YOUR TOES

by Anonymousreply 10605/09/2013

Kinky Boots is fabulous. It's getting 15 minute standing ovations. It's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 10705/09/2013

Alan Cummings' Macbeth is extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 10805/09/2013

r108=Alan Cumming

by Anonymousreply 10905/09/2013

R108 I agree--saw it Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 11005/09/2013

r110=Alan Cumming using a different browser

by Anonymousreply 11105/09/2013

Why the hell is the bi line in Brantley's review of On Your Toes "with Christine Baranski"? She was good in her role and is the most recognizable name in the cast but she has a supporting part.

by Anonymousreply 11205/09/2013

There's a limited run revival of RAGS happening in NYC at the end of May

Below is the link

by Anonymousreply 11305/09/2013

Well, what's it supposed to say? "With Shonn Wiley"? Yeah, that'll get them interested.

by Anonymousreply 11405/09/2013

Is the very posh Alisdair Macaulay going to review On Your Toes too?

by Anonymousreply 11505/09/2013

"The cast members are all agreeable company, though some are better at summoning the style of the show’s era. Chief among these are Walter Bobbie (best known as a director), having a high old time playing a Diaghilev-esque impresario, and the wondrous Christine Baranski as Peggy Porterfield, a filthy rich patron of the arts."

Really? NOT Ziemba? She pretty much LIVES in that era.

by Anonymousreply 11605/09/2013

So is it official for Encores next year? Is it really LITTLE ME, IRMA LA DOUCE, and MOST HAPPY FELLA?

Jason Graae is doing Little Me in CA right now. Considering how un-starry Encores has been this season, might they offer it to him? Or is it being done for Nathan Lane? Does Younger Belle have Megan Hilty's name on it already?

And who's an Irma? KZ is a bit long in tooth, unfortunately. Who's another high-kicking goodtime gal? (Maybe this would be Hilty?). Actually the harder part is the male lead in Irma.

And please, theatre gods, DON'T let Laura Osnes be Amy/Rosabella in MHF.

by Anonymousreply 11705/09/2013

[quote]Jason Graae is doing Little Me in CA right now.

Where? I'd love to see that!

by Anonymousreply 11805/09/2013

Rachel's "final callback" for Funny Girl on Glee tonight was beyond ludicrous. All she did was sing a Celine Dion song. I thought Ryan Murphy knew a little bit about Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 11905/09/2013

The ON YOUR TOES dance-off is the best thing about the show.

The rest of the show is corny, boring or just too earnest.

by Anonymousreply 12005/09/2013

R107 - "Kinky Boots" press agent.

by Anonymousreply 12105/09/2013

Saw it tonight. It seduced me in the first act and threw me against a wall in the second act. I haven't been this shaken by a play since "Doubt" (I could barely move after both) and I haven't been this exhilarated and touched since "Love! Valour! Compassion!" The whole cast was great, the direction perfection, the costumes, the set, all great. Nathan Lane was sensational tonight. Flirting with my sensibilities at one point and devastating me the next. He is the greatest stage actor of our era. I wish I had flown to Chicago to see "The Iceman Cometh." (Dammit!) He grabbed me back in the mid 90s when he turned his face bright red in "Laughter on the 23rd Floor" and has held my heart and attention ever since. .I must also applaud Glen Kelly's original music which was deservedly nominated for a Drama Desk Award. It takes you to the period and location of the story with the first saxophone solo and guides you through our wonderful and frightening evening effortlessly.

by Anonymousreply 12205/09/2013

R122- referring to "Thr Nance"

by Anonymousreply 12305/10/2013

R96- Liz Larsen has RENT money? Explain.

Also, the 1992 production on THE MOST HAPPY FELLA was the first show I ever saw on Broadway. I'm glad it was. I loved it,

by Anonymousreply 12405/10/2013

"ThE Nance"

by Anonymousreply 12505/10/2013

I'm confused how Liz Larsen made money off of Rent. I don't believe she is related to Jonathan LarsOn. Isn't she married to Sal Viviano? Maybe she keeps busy mousing his hair.

I liked Kinky Boots. It's not terribly brilliant, it's just a fun show and you leave smiling.

I have no interest in Matilda. It looks dark and dreary and the many people I know who've seen it feel very ho hum about it. "Oh yeah I saw that."

Matilda will probably win the Tony, much like that classic crap fest Billy Elliot beating Next to Normal (which then went on to win the Pulitzer...)

by Anonymousreply 12605/10/2013

Ben Brantley- you old queen! The term is turns A LA SECONDE...not helicopter turns.....even Clive Barnes knew that!

by Anonymousreply 12705/10/2013

[quote] Liz Larsen has RENT money? Explain.

rent mony...yeah how?

by Anonymousreply 12805/10/2013

I finally read that entire REBECCA article in Vanity Fair but became so bored (or overwhelmed?) by all the chicanery and aliases, I lost interest by the time Marc Thibodeau entered the plot.

But what the article doesn't really make clear is how bad a show REBECCA is.

by Anonymousreply 12905/10/2013

Anne Hathaway IS Rosabela!

by Anonymousreply 13005/10/2013

Billy Elliott is a truly terrible musical but Next to Normal isn't a very good one either. That either of them winning awards is a very sad comment on today's theater.

by Anonymousreply 13105/10/2013

Irma will be played by that dancer who liked to show her breasts on BOARDWALK EMPIRE and played a slut. Megan Sikorka sp?

by Anonymousreply 13205/10/2013

[quote]Irma will be played by that dancer who liked to show her breasts on BOARDWALK EMPIRE and played a slut. Megan Sikorka sp?

Paz LaHuerta? Cuz I would pay serious money to see that.

by Anonymousreply 13305/10/2013

[quote]Billy Elliott is a truly terrible musical but Next to Normal isn't a very good one either. That either of them winning awards is a very sad comment on today's theater.

In honesty, though, it's more a comment on yesterday's theater.

by Anonymousreply 13405/10/2013

I want to hear all that Irma La Douce dance music played live by the Encores orchestra.

How about Savannah Wise for Irma?

by Anonymousreply 13505/10/2013

Amy Spanger!

by Anonymousreply 13605/10/2013

Little Me is reportedly being done to exploit the myriad talents of Christian Borle.

And if they keep true to the original Irma La Douce, they'll need a damn fine dancer. Megan Hilty ain't one.

by Anonymousreply 13705/10/2013

Christian Borle??? He'd technically do a good job, but he's not even a B-Level star. They need more of an IT name for that role!

by Anonymousreply 13805/10/2013

Was Elisabeth Seal brought over specially for Irma La Douce or had she worked in the US for a while?

by Anonymousreply 13905/10/2013

Is Clay Aiken still popular? Or did coming out destroy his career?

by Anonymousreply 14005/10/2013

Clay Aiken is playing in The Drowsy Chaperon in summer stock with Beth Leavel.

by Anonymousreply 14105/10/2013

Does that put asses in the seat the way Clay Aiken in Spamalot intended to?

by Anonymousreply 14205/10/2013

I believe Irma was essentially the beginning AND end of Elizabeth Seal's career, both in London and the States. Many years afterward, she was announced for Cassie in the London cast of Chorus Line, but something went awry and she was replaced. Maybe a few regional things in the UK since, but virtually no acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 14305/10/2013

Seal was also the original Babe in the London Pajama Game.

I think she did Chicago in the regions.

by Anonymousreply 14405/10/2013

But everyone who ever saw Seal in Irma seems to have raved about it as one of the great performances. And she beat Andrews, Nancy Walker, and Channing for the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 14505/10/2013

r145 Aiken sold like hotcakes

Anyone get some Claymotion while he was here?

by Anonymousreply 14605/10/2013

[quote]Anyone get some Claymotion while he was here?

Reed Kelly?

by Anonymousreply 14705/10/2013

So what's going on with Flashdance? Have they officially cancelled New York? Is it dead?

by Anonymousreply 14805/10/2013

Yes, R 151, deader than Orphans will be after the matinee on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 14905/10/2013

later, toots. My series got picked up !

by Anonymousreply 15005/10/2013

Bianca Marroquin IS Irma la Douce!!

by Anonymousreply 15105/10/2013

i saw Seal in the original Chicago in London around 1980 and she was pretty fabulous. Not much of a voice, but charisma to spare.

She got Irma after being the Gwen Verdon (or maybe the Gretchen Wyler) of the West End for several years, so it didn't begin and end with Irma.

by Anonymousreply 15205/10/2013

[quote] later, toots. My series got picked up !

Someone buy Sean Hayes gift certificates to a therapist. He'll need them after a few episodes of his new show with Linda Lavin.

Sean: Linda will make Deb look like a walk in the park, hon.

by Anonymousreply 15305/10/2013

Lavin is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 15405/10/2013

Charlotte D'Amboise would have made a good Irma 20 years ago. She sorta has that Shirley McClaine thing going on.

by Anonymousreply 15505/10/2013

But Charlotte can't act.

by Anonymousreply 15605/10/2013

Having seen d'Amboise play Roxie, Charity, and Cassie, I am still at a loss to understand her career. I find her a hugely annoying actress and singer. And her dancing wasn't on the magical level that would make up for that.

by Anonymousreply 15705/10/2013

R160 she has Carrie The Musical to her credit

by Anonymousreply 15805/10/2013

Someone put D'Amboise's Music And The Mirror up on Youtube. Her monologue before it horribly one-note.

by Anonymousreply 15905/10/2013

So, Hilty as Younger Belle. Unless Can-Can is already going then.

Christian Borle in the Sid Caesar roles? Ugh. That's not very exciting.

Is there anyone who's a major dancer who is a "starry" name? The ones mentioned so far aren't too hot.

by Anonymousreply 16005/10/2013

Michael Mayer directing a film of South Pacific, to start Michelle Williams.

His "dream cast" for Emile and Cable - Hugh Jackman and Justin Timberlake.

I love Jackman - but he can't even come close to being able to sing Emile DeBecque. Yeah, he did Les Miz, but this is something else.

And Timberlake? Ugh.

Actually, Michael Mayer, ugh. But Williams might actually pull it off, if she can manage the singing (she did a little bit in her Marilyn voice in that Marilyn movie).

The article is on Playbill, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 16105/10/2013

Ruthie Henshall!

by Anonymousreply 16205/10/2013

Michael Mayer is such a non-talent. But he keeps getting work, inexplicably.

I love SOUTH PACIFIC. But there is no audience for a film (or another TV) version of it.

by Anonymousreply 16305/10/2013

"Having seen d'Amboise play Roxie, Charity, and Cassie, I am still at a loss to understand her career. I find her a hugely annoying actress and singer. And her dancing wasn't on the magical level that would make up for that."

You can add PIPPIN to the list. I completely agree with you. Not annoying, perhaps, but certainly charm-free.

by Anonymousreply 16505/10/2013

I had no idea the world was holding its breath for a CAN-CAN revival. I mean, I yield to no one in my love for Cole Porter but...CAN-CAN?

And LITTLE ME with Borle with NEVER happen. Only somebody like Jim Carrey could justify a revival of this show.

by Anonymousreply 16605/10/2013

Mo'nique for Bloody Mary!

by Anonymousreply 16705/10/2013

Borle was hysterically funny in Spamalot.

by Anonymousreply 16805/10/2013

I thought Borle was truly incredible in PETER AND THE STARCATCHER. I hadn't been much of a fan before, but I was hugely impressed by that performance.

by Anonymousreply 16905/10/2013

Borle's fantastic. Isn't he the kind of guy you want heading an Encores show? Real show cred, as opposed to hack sitcom star. It's not like they have to sell any tickets.

by Anonymousreply 17005/10/2013

I totally agree with the Borle supporters. If you ask me, Sid Caesar's "stardom" killed the original.

by Anonymousreply 17105/10/2013

R166, pay attention. Borle isn't doing LITTLE ME as a Broadway revival, but at Encores (apparently).

by Anonymousreply 17205/10/2013

Does anyone know anything about the reading today at Signature Theater of a new musical by Sting? Signature isn't producing, they're just renting space.

by Anonymousreply 17305/10/2013

[quote]and I haven't been this exhilarated and touched since "Love! Valour! Compassion!"

AHAHAHAAAAA!!!! Oh my sides, MY SIDES!!!!

by Anonymousreply 17405/10/2013

Fuck you, R174- It was the best theatrical experience of my lifetime. For me. We all have different experience at different performances of different shows at different points in our life. I'll never forget what a great time I had at "L! V! C!". I could explain further but I don't feel like it right now.

by Anonymousreply 17505/10/2013

r175=MARY!

by Anonymousreply 17605/10/2013

yep, R176

by Anonymousreply 17705/10/2013

I love R174!

by Anonymousreply 17805/11/2013

I had a friend who auditioned for Gary Griffin in Chicago. Griffin asked him out on a date that night and they fucked. Then my friend didn't even get called back!

I'm sure Griffin did this a lot.

by Anonymousreply 17905/11/2013

...when he's not busy stealing from other directors.

by Anonymousreply 18005/11/2013

I think Nathan Lane should win a Tony this year but he is not as popular among Tony voters as he once was. He has alienated some that have worked with him, though none question his enormous talent, only his enormous ego. Against Hanks, it might be tough but I feel deserving. The Nance as a whole, not so much. I definitely missed what many of the critics saw with this one. I thought it was a mess when I saw it a week before it opened.

by Anonymousreply 18105/11/2013

[quote]Does anyone know anything about the reading today at Signature Theater of a new musical by Sting? Signature isn't producing, they're just renting space.

Signature in NYC or Signature in DC?

by Anonymousreply 18205/11/2013

Signature in NYC....but as I said, they were just the landlord for the reading. There's also rehearsals for a reading of Ever After directed by Kathleen Marshall happening there next week.

by Anonymousreply 18305/11/2013

r184 = Wanda Richert

by Anonymousreply 18505/11/2013

The Nance is obvious and cloyingand Nathan is doing Nathan: the sad clown who laughs through his tears and breaks our hearts (or tries, at least). There is nothing special about the play or the performance - but then the same can be said about Vonya, Sonya, etc.

Assembled Parties deserves the award but won't get it.

by Anonymousreply 18605/11/2013

Vanya and Sonia is masterpiece and maybe one of Durang's greatest plays. The performances (perhaps excluding Weaver) are extraordinary. It deserves to win.

The Assembled Parties is ok, but muddled and some of the dialogue is too sharp and witty for the characters speaking the lines.

That has always been a problem for many of Greenberg's characters though. I have the same problem with them that Sondheim has with his I Feel Pretty lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 18705/11/2013

R184 I disagree!

by Anonymousreply 18805/11/2013

[quote]Nathan is doing Nathan

Who else would want to?

by Anonymousreply 18905/11/2013

Can we get back to Kathleen Chalfant and Kate Mulgrew?

What is going on with K&K?

by Anonymousreply 19005/11/2013

Barf! -NY1 had a piece on the recording of No Time At All from Pippin using an audience of selected people from a contest singing along. Who should be one of the selected, but Mr. Showbiz and desperate for attention whore-the repulsive and obnoxious Seth Rudetsky. I think I also saw Sherri Rene Scott singing along just to give the number a professional touch.

by Anonymousreply 19105/11/2013

R 191. Why wasn't the pining (almost said pinging)showboy Frank di Lella also singing his little heart out? Sounds like his kind of event!

by Anonymousreply 19205/11/2013

More gay news More chorus boys sexcapades Nothing on Max Von Essen How gay is the new cast of "Peter and the Star Catcher" Please sir - we need some more dirt

by Anonymousreply 19305/11/2013

More chorus boy escapades? MORE...?

by Anonymousreply 19405/11/2013

R 194. If only....

by Anonymousreply 19505/11/2013

Why are people getting moist over Jane lynch taking over for Miss Hannigan? It's not like she is playing Mama Rose! Are they expecting her to make this terrible revival into a hit?

by Anonymousreply 19605/11/2013

Isn't Hilty (and isn't Lazar) a little young for Can-Can? I thought Pistache was supposed to be a Frenchwoman-of-the-world. Lilo was threatened by the 30-ish Gwen Verdon stealing her show, she wasn't an early-30-something whose "best years of her career were still ahead of her." (Couldn't resist the Smash reference).

Will making this couple younger and sexier really sell the show to a modern audience?

by Anonymousreply 19705/11/2013

Sting has been working on musical with Jeffrey Seller.

by Anonymousreply 19805/11/2013

Hugh Panero and Norm Lewis in Les Miz at the Muny. Great casting. Weren't they lovers for awhile? Interesting subtext between Valjean and Javert...

by Anonymousreply 19905/11/2013

"Vanya and Sonia is masterpiece and maybe one of Durang's greatest plays"

Oh, come on, Woody Allen did the whole Russian literary parody thing first and funnier 30 years ago in LOVE AND DEATH.

by Anonymousreply 20005/11/2013

Well, in fairness, "maybe one of Durang's greatest plays" is a pretty low bar.

by Anonymousreply 20105/11/2013

This CAN-CAN has a new book by David Lee. Unfortunately, if he's doing the same one he did in LA, it's even worse than the original.

I wonder how LuPone feels about this? She really, really wanted the Rncores one to move.

by Anonymousreply 20205/11/2013

Sting and Jeffrey Seller?

Exclusive ticket pre-sale code: Zzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 20305/11/2013

ANYONE who can call Durang's Vonya and Sony and Whoever a MASTERPIECE is in serious need of medication. The play's tripe. Masterpiece?! Boy, I needed a laugh today. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 20405/11/2013

Joe Mantello directed this latest workshop but the show has been floundering around for years.

by Anonymousreply 20505/11/2013

r186 - Must disagree about the performances in Vanya Sonya Masha etc. K. Nielsen is giving a wonderful performance as is Shelita Grant. Kristine could win the Tony but I think the sentiment is elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 20605/11/2013

Christian Borle as Stewpot!

by Anonymousreply 20705/11/2013

Wow, Vanya and Sonya is being produced by Berkeley Rep this fall and the Asolo Theatre in the winter. Does Durang and LC need money so fast? It usually takes a few years for new plays on Broadway to end up in regional theaters.

by Anonymousreply 20805/11/2013

Since plays don't seem to tour any more, r208, why wait?

by Anonymousreply 20905/11/2013

Can the male cast, save one, of Papermill's "Little Mermaid" be any more girlie gay? Speaking of which, Jane Lynch looks like a big ol dyke on the new marquee for "Annie". She is in a black suit with red sneakers. Maybe the girls will come to see her as they did for Rosie when she did "Grease". She can't be any worse.

by Anonymousreply 21005/11/2013

r210, I don't recognize the male cast members' names other than flamer Nick Adams and straight Ed Watts - who are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 21105/11/2013

I didn't this ANNIE production took place in the present day. If it doesn't, then that marquee makes absolutely no bloody sense. Why have a woman in a modern-day pose, in a modern-day suit, and modern-day shoes, hairstyle, and makeup, advertising it?

by Anonymousreply 21305/11/2013

*didn't know

by Anonymousreply 21405/11/2013

[quote] Why have a woman in a modern-day pose, in a modern-day suit, and modern-day shoes, hairstyle, and makeup, advertising it?

R213- So people will recognize her. Lynch is not exactly a that well known outside of GLEE and BEST IN SHOW.

by Anonymousreply 21505/11/2013

" I think I also saw Sherri Rene Scott singing along just to give the number a professional touch."

Isn't her husband's company producing the recording?

On a related NY1 note, I was shocked at how David Drake aged.

by Anonymousreply 21605/11/2013

Me, too, R216! Admittedly, I hadn't seen Drake in years but damn, that totally threw me.

And I know I'll get flamed for this, but seeing that bit of chest hair peeking out of the top of Frank di Lella's shirt was totally hot. Wouldn't mind seeing him without one (shirt, that is).

by Anonymousreply 21705/11/2013

Re CAN-CAN ages - Lilo was 27 when it opened. Verdon was actually a few months older than Lilo (both born in 1925 - Gwen at the beginning of January).

So Hilty, at 32, is definitely on the age range. Lazar is 36-37.

It hasn't always been played by old crones like LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 21805/11/2013

Obviously, R215. But it's not advertising the SHOW. Which it's supposed to be. That was my point.

by Anonymousreply 21905/11/2013

Everyone knows what ANNIE is. The selling point now is JANE LYNCH in the show. She doesn't have to be dressed as Hannigan on the marquis. How is that confusing? It's advertising their stunt casting.

by Anonymousreply 22005/11/2013

When Liza did her disasterous short stint in Victor/ Victoria, the photo outside the Marquis was a head shot. She wasn't wearing VV drag.

by Anonymousreply 22105/11/2013

So put her in costume, with the announcement "Glee's Jane Lynch" if you have to. Right now, she looks like she's hosting the show, not playing a role within it.

by Anonymousreply 22205/11/2013

You need to unclench, r222. It's just fucking advertising. Whatever gets them in the door. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's not doing w hat it's supposed to do.

by Anonymousreply 22305/11/2013

True R218.

In Lee's production at the Pasadena Playhouse Michelle Duffy played Pistache and Kevin Earley was Aristide.

by Anonymousreply 22405/11/2013

Wait a minute - what happened to Katie Finneran? Did s he really sign for such a short run?

by Anonymousreply 22505/11/2013

Having an opinion is not being "clenched", darling. Dial it down.

by Anonymousreply 22605/11/2013

[quote] Wait a minute - what happened to Katie Finneran? Did s he really sign for such a short run?

Finneran has a new TV show with Michael J. Fox.

by Anonymousreply 22705/11/2013

Yes, r226, but after 5 posts in the subject, your opinion is starting to look like an obsession.

by Anonymousreply 22805/11/2013

Met David Drake about 15 yrs ago when I was doing a play in Phoenix. Nasty little queen. Could not have been bitchier. Looked down on the cast and the production. Of course this was after Larry Kramer.... and he probably thought he had a huge career ahead of him.

by Anonymousreply 22905/11/2013

David Drake came to a production of "The Night I Kissed" that our little storefront theater did back in the mid-90s - guess he either happened to be in town (this was outside of NYC) or wanted to see it,

He was a total cunt to everyone. He apparently talked through the play and drove people around him from their seats (not sure how it's staged elsewhere but we did no intermission).

Before he left, the artistic director asked what he thought of the performance of the actor playing, well, him - a guy who was gorgeous, who looked great in a jock, with abs you could grate cheese on.

And in a loud stage whisper, he said, "He's too fucking fat," and sashayed out of the theater.

For the rest of the run we called him David Fake.

R229 The fact that he thought he had a huge career...and then did "It's Pat"...is the deliciousness of karma!

by Anonymousreply 23005/11/2013

Wow, R228, sorry for discussing. Didn't realize the press agent for the show was posting in here.

by Anonymousreply 23105/11/2013

Why do they keep trying to make Lazar happen

He's an average singer Average actor. And nothing special to look at

He's really the weakest link in Mama Mia

by Anonymousreply 23205/11/2013

r232, please explain what circumstances possibly led you to see MAMMA MIA! in the past year.

by Anonymousreply 23305/11/2013

Lol. Had some friends in it.

by Anonymousreply 23405/11/2013

Well, who'da thunk, R218, but you're right! She sure don't sound 27-28 on the cast album, whereas Verdon sounds pert and fresh. I always figured Shirley's casting was a misfired attempt to make the show younger and more exciting. (She shoulda played Verdon's part, if anything). Sinatra is miscast in the movie, too, but offers an absolutely sublime "It's All Right With Me," sung to his then-amour (I believe) Juliet Prowse.

I still have trouble seeing Hilty (talented though she is) as a French mademoiselle who has loved and lost and all that sort of stuff, but we'll see how this new version's "back story" makes it work.

by Anonymousreply 23505/11/2013

The "backstory" will probably include the man who farted his songs - that was David Lee's big contribution in Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 23605/11/2013

Would they take a lady??

by Anonymousreply 23705/11/2013

Weird how Katie Fineran failed this time out of the box. Did she imitate Louden? Her impressions of Deborah Rush and Marian Mercer got her Tonys even though she added nothing original to those shows.

by Anonymousreply 23805/11/2013

I saw Liza's first performance in V/V and thought she was great. It was the first time I had ever seen herr live onstage. But I loved the show. I saw the final dress of V/V with Julie Andrews and loved it start to finish. I never understood why people didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 23905/12/2013

Yes, R235. In the book MR. S, Sinatra's valet alleges that Frank was fascinated by Juliet's shaved pussy. And I'm sure her dancer's flexibility didn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 24005/12/2013

Bette Midler IS Bloody Mary!

Johnny Depp IS Luther Billis!

Matt Bomer IS Stewpot!

by Anonymousreply 24105/12/2013

Katie Finneran played Miss hannigan as though she was channelling Carol Burnett in her cleaning lady drag. She was fucking awful

But then, Lapine is a shit director.

by Anonymousreply 24205/12/2013

Gee R212.....this board is irreverent and meant to be dishy and mean to all so get a sense of humor and stop being so sensitive. Watch the interviews of Papermill "Little Women...err Mermaid", on BWW. There is something odd to me about middle aged men giggling and kvelling about being in a Disney musical dressed as underwater creatures. I hope they have fun and wish them success. As far as the advertising for Lynch, they may as well have given her a cigar and a baseball mitt. She looks like MR. Hannigan and makes Lea Delaria look femme. The marquee is so wrong. If you REALLY want to be offended, watch Tosh.O. And as for Rosie- she is a nasty cunt in real life.

by Anonymousreply 24305/12/2013

"There is something odd to me about middle aged men giggling and kvelling about being in a Disney musical dressed as underwater creatures."

That's show biz, kid.

by Anonymousreply 24405/12/2013

Benj Pasek looks hot and built in today's Times. Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 24505/12/2013

Um, no r245

by Anonymousreply 24605/12/2013

[quote] As far as the advertising for Lynch, they may as well have given her a cigar and a baseball mitt. She looks like MR. Hannigan and makes Lea Delaria look femme. The marquee is so wrong... And as for Rosie- she is a nasty cunt in real life.

First, it's a billboard not a marquee. The marquee is the backlit signage that wraps around the overhang of the theater's front door. If you're going to bitch about something, at least know what your bitching about. And, you call Rosie a cunt yet pretend to have rainbows and Confetti shooting out of your ass. You sound like a nasty piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 24705/12/2013

Pasek is straight and married. The status of the other one I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 24805/12/2013

R245 just because some people look gay and write Broadway musicals doesn't mean they're gay.

by Anonymousreply 24905/12/2013

Exactly, r249. I couldn't have said it better myself.

by Anonymousreply 25005/12/2013

I just saw a regional theater production of "Parade." I was only somewhat familiar with the story, and had only heard a few songs on the SiriusXM Broadway channel, so I was pretty much seeing and hearing everything for the first time. I found it quite powerful. It reminded me a little of "Ragtime," since it was set in the same era and had some of the same themes.

So, why wasn't it a bigger success on Broadway? Bad timing? Story too depressing?

by Anonymousreply 25105/12/2013

Because Hal Prince is a traffic cop and nothing more. He is solely responsible for the failure of "Parade".

Isn't it funny it worked in London.

by Anonymousreply 25205/12/2013

I saw Parade on Broadway. I also saw the production in Los Angeles which transferred from London.. no comparison. The stripped down version from London was more powerful overall. The trial scene with the cartoon cut outs in the Hal Prince version was strange. It wasn't powerful.. it reminded me of that cartoon cutout TV version of DAMN YANKEES with Lee Remick from when I was a kid..... no ensemble, just a bunch of cardbaord cutouts.

by Anonymousreply 25305/12/2013

Parade is a wonderful show, but kinda hard sell since it's SO depressing. And the art for the Broadway show was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 25405/12/2013

Les Miz isn't a yuck fest but people knew it going in. "Parade" was an awful title. C'mon, people who had no idea, and there are plenty of people that come to Broadway and have no idea what they are about to see, sees there's a big Broadway musical called "Parade" and well...

by Anonymousreply 25505/13/2013

Karen Ziemba would be great in a revival of Jerry's Girls

by Anonymousreply 25605/13/2013

Could someone please let me in on the reference of Stephen Schwatz and the usher I thought he picked his boys out of the WICKED chorus Isn't his current boy-toy a WICKED alumnus?

by Anonymousreply 25705/13/2013

[quote] Karen Ziemba would be great in a revival of Jerry's Girls.

Why would anyone revive a revue of songs from musicals no one wants to revive?

by Anonymousreply 25805/13/2013

I know Cicely Tyson is a national treasure and all that and she'll probably win the Tony Award but......Gurrrrl! Tell me what is up with those cheap wigs she wears??

by Anonymousreply 25905/13/2013

I don't understand all the attention DOGFIGHT is getting.

Wasn't it a show that most people hated, that got mixed to negative reviews and that no one went to see at 2ST?

by Anonymousreply 26005/13/2013

It was a Wicked usher that was being blown by Schwartz when he made the mistake of running his hands through Schwartz's hair and the rug came off.

by Anonymousreply 26105/13/2013

Saw PIPPIN yesterday - other than the acrobatics, what else was changed from the original production (which I didn't see) if anything?

With Paulus, you just never know...

by Anonymousreply 26205/13/2013

Just to clarify about Pasek and Paul:

Justin Paul (the blonde) is the straight and married one.

Benj Pasek is definitely gay and single. He and AKB are BFFs from their Michigan days.

by Anonymousreply 26305/13/2013

The first act of the new PIPPIN is exhilarating and stunning. The second act just lies there and sucks all the air out of the room. Paulus only got half the show right. The second act is deadly. The final image is much better than the original ending, but it's the one bright spot in that atrocious Act 2.

And the woman playing Catherine is doing a bad Jane Krakowski impression.

by Anonymousreply 26405/13/2013

Dogfight and A Christmas Story are getting all the undeserved attention because those guys are part of "The Michigan Mafia." What Yale was the B'way in the 70s and 80s, Michigan now is. You're right. They are over-rated, but still promising. Someone has to teach all these young writers that yes, Sondheim wrote "Another Hundred People," but he also wrote "Sorry, Grateful." They all try to shove so many lyrics into their work, you stop listening. The Dogfight score was average at best.

by Anonymousreply 26505/13/2013

Yale Drama School graduates budding directors and producers from their program who hire Yale actors, designers, playwrights, dramaturgs(!), even stage managers. It's not called The Yale Mafia for nothing.

Does U of Michigan graduate anyone besides twinky musical theater geeks who wield power on Broadway? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 26605/13/2013

Meryl dear that was 1976. Has Yale graduated anyone of note in a current decade? hmmm can't think of any.

by Anonymousreply 26705/13/2013

Cysely Tyson...please. The woman has been coasting on Jane Pittman for 40 years. WTF else has she done.

by Anonymousreply 26805/13/2013

Shani Wells and I had diner last yesterday night. A national treasure chest she is. We go back many years.

by Anonymousreply 26905/13/2013

[quote]Saw PIPPIN yesterday - other than the acrobatics, what else was changed from the original production (which I didn't see) if anything?

Um ... the gender of the Leading Player?

by Anonymousreply 27005/13/2013

[quote]Cysely Tyson...please. The woman has been coasting on Jane Pittman for 40 years. WTF else has she done.

You mean besides the Oscar nomination for "Sounder", her 7 primetime Emmy nominations including "Roots", winning an Emmy for "The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All", winning a SAG for cast of the Oscar Best Picture nominee "The Help". Not bad for an over forty black actress. If you think she would have ever had a career like Meryl Streep even though she is as talented, your insane.

by Anonymousreply 27105/13/2013

[quote] your insane

oh my

by Anonymousreply 27205/13/2013

[quote]Has Yale graduated anyone of note in a current decade?

Trip Cullman

Rebecca Taichmann

Scott Pask

Amy Herzog

Tarell Alvin McCraney

Roberto Saguirre-Sacasa

Just to name a partial list. Granted, some of these people aren't musical theatre folk.

by Anonymousreply 27305/13/2013

gee r273 it is like reading Who's Who. Such an impressive list. Now tell us who they are.....

by Anonymousreply 27405/13/2013

If you worked in or followed theatre you'd know who they are, you bitchy queen.

by Anonymousreply 27505/13/2013

I guess you told me... didn't you r274? I'd still go to NYU grad given the choice.

Oh and you work in theatre? Which restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 27605/13/2013

No, I'm just saying, if you really knew who's who in theatre, you'd know those were important people. Which leads me to believe you have a middle-aged-theatre-queen fangirl's understanding of the business.

Now don't you think you've enough enough G&T's for the night?

by Anonymousreply 27705/13/2013

Tarell Alvin McCraney----

hee hee.....yes quite accomplished.....should he even bother googling the others.

I know Saguirre-Sacasa wrote the Carrie remake....that should turn out well for him. Is Glee hiring?

by Anonymousreply 27805/13/2013

yes r277 call people old, the defense of the weakest life forms on DL. Did you go to Yale dear heart? Is that why you are so dedicated?

and if you think those are "important" people perhaps it is time to edit your contacts page.

Can you be an important person and work in the theatre? I don't think so.....

by Anonymousreply 27905/13/2013

A new choreographer on the scene, Josh Rhodes, is a Michigan grad. He is choreographer of Cinderella. Sad he did not get a Tony nomination. Still after all these years, the only Michigan musical theater grad to win a Tony is Jeff Marx for writing the score of Avenue Q.

by Anonymousreply 28005/13/2013

I'm sorry if you get confused by names that aren't related to Judy Garland, dear. Show business has changed a bit since the 50's.

And yes, NYU grad also puts out quite a few big names. As does Yale. Good for you! You win a cookie!

by Anonymousreply 28105/13/2013

Yeah, well, Mark Brokaw who directed Cinderella went to Yale. As well as William Ivey Long who designed the costumes.

by Anonymousreply 28205/13/2013

[quote] and if you think those are "important" people perhaps it is time to edit your contacts page.

Scott Pask has a Tony, and designs 2/3rds of the sets on Bway. Taichmann directs Shakespeare all over the place. McCraney's directing Julius Caesar at the Public next season. Amy Herzog has had shows @ Playwrights & NYTW this season.

So toss around your alcohol-fueled cuntiness to your heart's content. Just be aware that your statement that these people aren't important is factually incorrect. They're big players in regional & off-broadway.

[quote] Can you be an important person and work in the theatre? I don't think so.....

Such cutting wit. It's a wonder that you don't have a script on Broadway, with such searing insights into the human condition. I am devestated by such searing sarcasm and cannot go on. (rolls eyes)

What else you got, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 28405/13/2013

Thank you r283.....glad to have supporters!!!

and once again r281 resorts to age attacks...Yes I'm sure everyone under thirty knows all about the Yale Grads you mentioned...It must just be old people who don't keep up with the LCT and Roundabout season who are clueless....oh wait isn't their entire audience old? This is getting so confusing.

by Anonymousreply 28505/13/2013

[quote] Still after all these years, the only Michigan musical theater grad to win a Tony is Jeff Marx for writing the score of Avenue Q.

And Jeff has been reduced to writing the music for a failed grocery chain.

by Anonymousreply 28605/13/2013

[quote]They're big players in regional & off-broadway.

oh my

[quote] am devestated by such searing sarcasm and cannot go on. (rolls eyes)

does anyone over 14 still roll eyes

by Anonymousreply 28705/13/2013

[quote]Can you be an important person and work in the theatre? I don't think so.....

I don't think I was attempting wit...just truth.

Your fun BTW. Give me your email. Let's keep in touch!!!!

by Anonymousreply 28805/13/2013

This has got to be the cheesiest thread on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 28905/13/2013

Now he's just talking to himself. Drug cases are so sad.

by Anonymousreply 29005/13/2013

Hey.....you guys can't ALL be screaming queens drinking appletinis....can you?

by Anonymousreply 29105/13/2013

The two people arguing over Yale vs. Michigan are actually the same person. I hope she's doing it like Cuccioli did it in the original Jekyll and Hyde.

Can we talk about Evan Jonegkit's penis now?

by Anonymousreply 29205/14/2013

[quote] devestated

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 29305/14/2013

[quote]And Jeff has been reduced to writing the music for a failed grocery chain.

He co-wrote that music with Julian Hornik who...wait for it...studies at Yale.

by Anonymousreply 29405/14/2013

R294 So if one of them is from Michigan and the other is from Yale, it's like the perfect storm of musicmaking excellence!

by Anonymousreply 29505/14/2013

[quote]Trip Cullman

[quote]Rebecca Taichmann

[quote]Scott Pask

[quote]Amy Herzog

[quote]Tarell Alvin McCraney

[quote]Roberto Saguirre-Sacasa

[italic]Those[/italic] are "people of note"?!?

by Anonymousreply 29605/14/2013

Who is Kathleen Chalfant's GF?

(sorry, ladies...trying anything to change the subject from the bitchfight of the last 20 entries that has hijacked the thread.)

by Anonymousreply 29705/14/2013

[quote]Those are "people of note"?!?

In theatre circles in NYC, yes. Sorry you don't know any names not involved in shit Broadway musicals.

by Anonymousreply 29805/14/2013

That list from Yale is a joke. On to more fun stuff. Tonys! So DROOD is not performing. Will CHRISTMAS STORY? BRING IT ON? Do they have casts anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 29905/14/2013

Sorry, but I think if you made a list of theater people, not including actors, of note under 35, many of the people on that list would be there.

by Anonymousreply 30005/14/2013

List of Michigan grads from the last ten years who are major theatre players, please.

No, really, R299. I'm curious.

by Anonymousreply 30105/14/2013

It's not that those people on the list aren't players in NYC. It's that (with the notable exception of Scott Pask) they're all WILDLY overrated and will make no lasting impact on the landscape. They're clogging up company stages at the moment, but in twenty years no one will remember anything they did.

Overprivileged and undertalented people like Tripp Cullman are emblematic of everything that is wrong and dismissible with the current not-for-profit theatre world. It's a piddling little castle whose walls aren't even worth scaling.

by Anonymousreply 30205/14/2013

[quote]They're clogging up company stages at the moment, but in twenty years no one will remember anything they did.

Which now makes me intensely curious who you think will be remembered from the current NY theatre scene twenty years from now.

Oh right, sorry. It's a "piddling little castle whose walls aren't even worth scaling". Which means you're willing to trash anything that isn't for-profit, which means you don't really know.

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 30305/14/2013

(And yes, Tripp Cullman is a massively overrated hack.)

by Anonymousreply 30405/14/2013

Let's get back to talking shit about people who matter, kids.

Do you wanna hear about my affair with Brando again?

by Anonymousreply 30505/14/2013

I saw Cuba Gooding Jr interviewed today; he bragged about kissing Tom Cruise right on his lips when he showed up to see him on Broadway. How is he in the production?

by Anonymousreply 30605/14/2013

Yeah, screw Yale grads. Yeah, screw Michigan alums. Lainie and her crusty complaints and cheap ways are the only things that count. Anyway she came from Michigan and she's back there again, terrorizing all the locals to treat her with respect.

by Anonymousreply 30705/14/2013

A few Michigan grads--

Hunter Foster

Celia Keenan Bolger

Andrew Keenan Bolger

Erin Dilly -metioned on Smash, A Christmas Story,

Jenni Barber - The Nance

Brynn O'Malley- Wicked, Sunday in the Park, Annie

Darren Criss

The guy with the really bad hygiene who is the elead in Book of Mormon now in London.. sorry, forgot his name. The one who fucked or got fucked by Jonathan Groff. He was Claude in Hair on Broadway

Taylor Louderman - Bring It On although she left to do the show before graduating.

by Anonymousreply 30805/14/2013

Gavin Creel is the name you're asking for

Josh Rhodes- choreographer

Jeff Marx- Tony winning composer

Pasek & Paul- Tony nominated composers

Andrew Lippa- Tony nominated composer

David Kirshenbaum- Composer of Off Bway's Summer of '42 and Vanities

Jennifer Laura Thompson- Tony nominated actress

Barrett Foa- TV actor

Eric Millegan- TV actor

Danny Gurwin- Broadway actor

Matthew Rego- Broadway producer (Urinetown, Araca Group)

Gilles Chiasson- Broadway actor

Clint Bond- Broadway marketing, publicist, producer

Becky Baeling- pop-dance vocalist, TV host

Alex Gemignani- Broadway actor

I'll post others if I think of more

by Anonymousreply 30905/14/2013

Cock. Fucking. Cheating. Ass. Passion, jealousy and doubt.

Better gossip topix than NYU and Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 31005/14/2013

More:

Nick Blaemire- Broadway actor and composer/winter

Rachel Hoffman- Casting director

Marc Kessler- Conceived Altar Boyz

Gary Adler- Score to Altar Boyz

Jonathan Hammond- Broadway actor

by Anonymousreply 31105/14/2013

[quote]Which now makes me intensely curious who you think will be remembered from the current NY theatre scene twenty years from now.

[quote]Oh right, sorry. It's a "piddling little castle whose walls aren't even worth scaling". Which means you're willing to trash anything that isn't for-profit, which means you don't really know.

Take your Adderall, Timmy.

There was a time when great talents used to come out of the NFP world and do commercial work that garnered huge audiences. They made an impact. Look at all the people that came out of the Papp-era Public. Hell, look at all the people STILL coming out of the British institutions.

You know who strikes me as being like that today? Alex Timbers. I've yet to see anything he's directed that I didn't think was personal and well-directed. But unlike a lot of his self-fellating colleagues, his end goal is to put on a good show and give the audience a good time. God forbid. (And yes, I know; ROCKY looks awful. I may have to eat these words.)

Oh, and for the record, I really don't care about the Michigan/Yale thing. I've got no dog in that fight. I was just commenting on the lameness of that list which was being held up as proof of alleged greatness..

by Anonymousreply 31205/14/2013

More:

David Burtka- Broadway actor and E correspondent and famous boyfriend

Susan Owen- Broadway actress

Andy Mientus- TV actor (Smash)

by Anonymousreply 31305/14/2013

Also Dan Reichard- Broadway actor (Jersey Boys)

Oh and actually Matt Rego s a Tony award winning producer (Wicked) actually

by Anonymousreply 31405/14/2013

R 313. More WHAT? Names, that is all. For gossip, let's pursue the Melissa Errico replacement on the OC by Rebecca Luker. Someone must have something to share on that bizarre situation.

by Anonymousreply 31505/14/2013

[quote]I saw Cuba Gooding Jr interviewed today; he bragged about kissing Tom Cruise right on his lips when he showed up to see him on Broadway. How is he in the production?

He's good, but you'll never get a Theater Queen poster, to admit it. He's a movie star and to them, movie stars have no business on Broadway. Your Mother had to squat in Shubert Alley to birth you, preferably between the matinee and evening show, attend the Fame school, then graduate Julliard before even being considered good enough for the Great White Way.

by Anonymousreply 31605/14/2013

[quote]I saw Cuba Gooding Jr interviewed today; he bragged about kissing Tom Cruise right on his lips when he showed up to see him on Broadway.

Probably not for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 31705/14/2013

Mels Errico is getting a throat operation: broken blood vessel or something on her throat.

Becky Luker is a fine replacement.

by Anonymousreply 31805/14/2013

Thanks 316, and regarding the rest of your post, very true.

by Anonymousreply 31905/14/2013

Cristin Milioti was revealed last night as "the mother" on "How I Met Your Mother". That means she'll be featured on the show all next season.

Fuck that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 32005/14/2013

SEUSSICAL!

by Anonymousreply 32105/14/2013

Never seen a bigger list of nobodies. If this is who Broadway has to offer as their best - I'm glad I deserted that vacuous wasteland years ago.

by Anonymousreply 32205/14/2013

This new BroadwayWorld interview with Benj Pasek & Justin Paul makes the other one in the Times this weekend look like a joke. No comparison.

Incidentally, they mention about 10 fellow Michigan grads throughout (Erin Dilly, Gavin Creel, Andy Mientus, Nick Blaemire, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 32305/14/2013

Is it really true that the Weisslers are wooing Michelle Bachman to do a six-week stint as Roxie in "Chicago," now that she's threatening to leave Minnesota for good? Tee Hee.

by Anonymousreply 32405/14/2013

R324 Yes, with Sarah Palin as Velma.

by Anonymousreply 32505/14/2013

The sure-to-be Tony Award-winning play this season was written by a Yalie Chris Durang and stars 3 Yalies Sigourney Weaver, David Hyde Pierce and Kristine Neilsen.

by Anonymousreply 32605/14/2013

R324, Fran is HUGE-HUGE-HUGE Democrat. She would have nothing to do with Michelle Bachmann even if $ were involved.

by Anonymousreply 32705/14/2013

R327 is right. Say what you want about Barry's sugar mama, she loathes the Repubs.

by Anonymousreply 32805/14/2013

But I thought was kinda out of it these days...

by Anonymousreply 32905/14/2013

What's sad is when the media, with their penchant for creating hysteria in inverse proportion to the newsworthiness of a story, declares this or that team as the "heirs to Rodgers and Hammerstein" (or some such absurd notion) on the basis of the most slender and modest of offerings (remember when New York magazine in the 90s declared William Finn to be the successor to Sondheim?). And the theater community, desperate to be considered relevant and mainstream, succumbs to ageism and bestows awards on work of utter ordinariness.

"Nick Blaemire- Broadway actor and composer/winter"

If you saw/heard Glory Days, it was, indeed, winter.

And all this talk of "Tony award nominated" nonsense---as if it were a standard of quality.

by Anonymousreply 33005/14/2013

Is Justin Paul's wife turned on by her husband's flamingly gay hairdo?

by Anonymousreply 33105/14/2013

[quote] Billy Magnussen's rosy apple cheeks

Which ones?

by Anonymousreply 33205/14/2013

Lurker was amazing in PASSION at the KC. It was a much better production than Doyle's. I'm glad she gets to do the CD instead of Errico.

by Anonymousreply 33305/14/2013

Just got this mental image of Marcus Bachmann as Mary Sunshine and could not stop giggling.

by Anonymousreply 33405/14/2013

[quote]Lurker was amazing in PASSION at the KC. It was a much better production than Doyle's. I'm glad she gets to do the CD instead of Errico.

Best typo ever: Rebecca Lurker!

by Anonymousreply 33505/14/2013

Fran's 85! Let her be.

by Anonymousreply 33605/14/2013

Could you imagine the deafening chorus of boos and all the tomatoes and rotten eggs thrown at Muchelle Bachmann if she was to appear on a Broadway stage? I'd buy a tkts ticket for that!

by Anonymousreply 33705/14/2013

Is Bertie Carvel gay? He's actually pretty cute, in that British way.

by Anonymousreply 33805/15/2013

So is Tom Hanks pretty much a lock to win lead actor in a play?

Also, who's worked with Billy Porter? What's he like? Nice guy?

by Anonymousreply 33905/15/2013

Scott Pask has 3 Tonys and has 9 Drama Desk nominations (and 2 awards). We should all be such nobodies.

by Anonymousreply 34005/15/2013

I was excited to see cutie Shonn Wiley in the Encores On Your Toes last week, but his shirtless scene was a major disappointment. No definition at all and a bit of a paunch. And tinynips, too. He somehow looked scrawny and pudgy at the same time. Shonn, I never say this, but GO TO THE GYM! Did anyone else see On Your Toes?

by Anonymousreply 34105/15/2013

[quote]Scott Pask has 3 Tonys and has 9 Drama Desk nominations (and 2 awards). We should all be such nobodies.

Don't worship false idols r340.

by Anonymousreply 34205/15/2013

Was that the Princess Zenobia ballet, r341? Did he do it barefoot?

by Anonymousreply 34305/15/2013

[quote[I don't understand all the attention DOGFIGHT is getting.

[quote]Wasn't it a show that most people hated, that got mixed to negative reviews and that no one went to see at 2ST?

You could have said the same thing about NEXT TO NORMAL. David Stone was the producer on both, right? Will he push DOGFIGHT to be retooled as well?

The difference is that NEXT TO NORMAL had more of a reason to exist. There didn't seem to be any reason to musicalize DOGFIGHT. Even the authors' own work seemed weirdly dispassionate.

by Anonymousreply 34405/15/2013

Can Ginnifer Goodwin sing? I think she'd make a fantastic Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 34505/15/2013

Has anyone seen Into the Woods in Princeton? Brantlee gave it a rave, but I'm not traveling until I get another opinion - after his "rave" for Matilda, I don't want another bum steer from him.

by Anonymousreply 34605/15/2013

1) Who cares about a production at Princeton?

2) Brantlee? Oh, my my my.

by Anonymousreply 34705/15/2013

[quote]Who cares about a production at Princeton?

Producers who may want to bring it to NYC after getting a rave in the NY Times.

by Anonymousreply 34805/15/2013

JESUS CHRIST PLEASE NO MORE 'INTO THE WOODS'!!!!!!!

How many times does it have to fail?

by Anonymousreply 34905/15/2013

I guess I am in the minority here but I loved DOGFIGHT - the score was really interesting and one song in particular, First Night, Last Night was especially lovely.

Why the hate for these 2 guys?

They show promise, and their musicals are infinitely better than the deadly dull pretentious work produced by all of those triple-named composers during the last 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 35005/15/2013

Seriously. Let's give Sondheim a rest for about, oh, 10 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 35105/15/2013

R350, I loved DOGFIGHT as well, and I'm not so sure that we're in the "minority" just because a bunch of tasteless queens on DL happen to hate it.

"I was excited to see cutie Shonn Wiley in the Encores On Your Toes last week, but his shirtless scene was a major disappointment. No definition at all and a bit of a paunch."

That's factually incorrect, R341. Shonn Wiley's skin looked very pale in his shirtless scene (which was part of the joke), but there was no "paunch" at all and great definition. Maybe you should have your vision checked.

by Anonymousreply 35205/15/2013

Dogfight was shit.

by Anonymousreply 35305/15/2013

Rebecca Lurker reads here? What do we have to say to her? or her husband?

by Anonymousreply 35405/15/2013

Anyone else see the awful EVER AFTER reading? Why are they still flogging this show? Its been in development for years, and never gets any better. Now its Kevin McCollum, who's doing it because one of the writers is a cousin.

by Anonymousreply 35505/15/2013

NYU? Yale? What about Northwestern--in the old days, Patricia Neal, Ann-Marget, Walter Kerr, Charlton Heston (and his much more talented sister Lilla who was on the faculty)--in more recent years John Logan, Mary Zimmerman, Bruce Norris, Frank Galati, Brian D'Arcy James, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Brad Hall, Suzie Plakson, and many others. These students actually got a first-rate liberal arts education to go with their theatre training.

by Anonymousreply 35605/15/2013

B.D. WONG

by Anonymousreply 35705/15/2013

I met Luker at an opening night party and she was so nice and gracious. We're from the same town in Alabama and we talked about common experiences. Couldn't have been sweeter!

by Anonymousreply 35805/15/2013

Patina Miller and the cast of PIPPIN on David Letterman

by Anonymousreply 35905/15/2013

R359 Thanks for posting that! Looks like a lot of fun. (But those costumes on the two backup dancers in the first part look like they were rejects from the movie of "The Wiz.")

by Anonymousreply 36005/15/2013

I'm going to a concert version of "Mack and Mabel" (with Davis Gaines as Mack) next week. I've always liked the score but have never actually seen the show. Does the book really suck?

by Anonymousreply 36105/15/2013

[quote]JESUS CHRIST PLEASE NO MORE 'INTO THE WOODS'!!!!!!!

If I could, I'd pay to have this put on a Times Square billboard. I love Sondheim as much as anyone, but dear God, give this show a break. It's just not that good.

by Anonymousreply 36205/15/2013

I think ITW is a case of a really fun initial cast making a show seem a lot better than it actually was. And I don't think it's bad--it's just not the miracle people seem to think it is, and Central Park pretty much proved that (though that despicable, saccharine production wouldn't have helped any show). It's very good second-tier Sondheim--not a patch on any of the Prince shows, certainly. While I think we really need a break from Follies as well, I'd still rather see that before ITW any day.

by Anonymousreply 36305/15/2013

I want a movie of ITW with Miss Vanessa Williams as the Witch.

by Anonymousreply 36405/15/2013

Gotta bitch about something right, R360? Gee Letterman loved it so much he morphed into Ed Sullivan.

by Anonymousreply 36505/15/2013

I thought Vanessa Williams lacked a little something in that role, though. God knows she was beautiful enough, but a little earthbound, not quite special enough as a performer. Can't really say who else I'd particularly like to see in the role right now, though, at least on film (and yes, Streep is TOO OLD).

by Anonymousreply 36605/15/2013

I'm sure Streep will be terrific as the witch.

But who will play the character when she transforms into a young, beautiful woman?

by Anonymousreply 36705/15/2013

So I take it none of our readers have made it to the Princeton ITW?

by Anonymousreply 36805/15/2013

363, I didn't like the production of INTO THE WOODS at the Delacorte either, but I'm surprised to hear you describe it as "saccharine." I would say it was almost the opposite of "saccharine." What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 36905/15/2013

I've seen Bernadette, Phylicia and Vanessa play the Witch in ITW. I think that Phylicia was my favorite. It may be Sondheim's most accessible show (after WSS), but I agree that it is second tier. Still his second tier work is a helluva lot better that of the Michigan Boys, JRB or LaChiusa.

I also wish I had seen Ms. Rashad as Violet Weston.

by Anonymousreply 37005/15/2013

I guess I mean the horrible ending, with the father running through the woods yelling "Son! Son! My son!" and the completely unearned sappy reunion that followed. I really think "Children Will Listen" is quite enough in the way of sentiment at that moment--underlining it with the bathetic father-son reunion was just too much. It sort of spoiled the entire show for me, which I hadn't really minded that much. So yes, you're right, describing the entire production as saccharine wasn't really accurate.

by Anonymousreply 37105/15/2013

Lock ITW up in the his dungeon and throw away the key!

by Anonymousreply 37205/15/2013

[quote]I want a movie of ITW with Miss Vanessa Williams as the Witch.

Prepare to be very disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 37305/15/2013

Bernadette Peters was an emergency re-cast for the role of the witch back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 37405/15/2013

[quote]Rebecca Luker reads here? What do we have to say to her? or her husband?

We have this to say: Thank you for being two of the nicest people in a cutthroat business.

But neither of them reads DL, so no point.

by Anonymousreply 37505/15/2013

R374 Because Gary Morton wouldn't let Lucy do it?

by Anonymousreply 37605/15/2013

Will Jane Lynch help save Annie like the other lesbian Raven Symone helped save Sister Act or will all of the money spent on her salary and new advertising be a bust for the producers?

by Anonymousreply 37705/15/2013

Jane Lynch would be a great Joanne in Company

by Anonymousreply 37805/15/2013

Well there may be a reason to see the film version of Into the Woods after all

by Anonymousreply 37905/15/2013

R379 Try to keep up, dear.

by Anonymousreply 38005/15/2013

Nothin's gonna save Annie!

by Anonymousreply 38105/15/2013

The worst thing about ITW is its score. Starting with Sunday In The Park With George, Sondheim entered his unappealing, gnarly mode of songwriting, followed by ITW and Passion. I attribute it to working with Lapine, who thoroughly lacks the showmanship and commercial instincts of Hal Prince.

Probably the worst problem with Mack and Mabel was the idea: you cannot recreate silent film slapstick on the stage (duh!). Also, for a show dealing with comedy, there are mighty few yocks in the script; the romance is paper-thin and barely delineated; situations like Mabel disrupting the film shoot are contrived and cliched; and by the time she succumbs to her addictions, there is nothing left for the character to do (and the actress to play) but look sad and die. The downer ending was unearned and unwanted in a Jerry Herman musical. Fade to black.

by Anonymousreply 38205/15/2013

Jane Lynch went into ANNIE earlier than announced, because sales were flat.

There is now TONS of paper for the rest of the month - they can't give it away fast enough - to see Jane.

They're also pushing for a big Tony spot, which they desperately need.

If Lynch can't pull in the audience, Annie will be toast before Labor Day.

I guess all the little girls are going to see MATILDA instead!

by Anonymousreply 38305/15/2013

I realize it has been "postponed" but OMG how the hell could the Roundabout have SERIOUSLY been thinking about The Philadelphia Story?

Who did they think would be the audience for Phillip Barry's play - the hot ticket of 1939?

SEVENTY-FOUR YEARS AGO!

by Anonymousreply 38405/15/2013

There is talk of L*I*Z*A coming back to Broadway next year in a show written by Charles Aznavour.

And she would sing!

I saw her show with Alan Cumming recently. She's a mess. Fun, but a mess. I wouldn't want to see her in anything that required learning lines...or songs...or blocking...

by Anonymousreply 38505/15/2013

Is there really that big an audience that wants to see Jane Lynch? I'm sure she'll sell some tickets, but enough to keep the show above water?

by Anonymousreply 38605/15/2013

No one's mentioned yesterday's big announcement of the return of "700 Sundays"?

by Anonymousreply 38705/15/2013

[quote]No one's mentioned yesterday's big announcement of the return of "700 Sundays"?

That's because no one give's a shit.

by Anonymousreply 38805/15/2013

R374, I don't think that is quite true. My memory is that Bernadette was attached to the production at one point, but had to bow out due to a conflict. She became available, and they found a reason to get rid of Buckley. I mean the official word was that Buckley left over a conflict about her costume. Since when has a costume ever been more important than a star?

by Anonymousreply 38905/15/2013

roundabout doing The Real Thing seriously

by Anonymousreply 39005/15/2013

[quote]they found a reason to get rid of Buckley.

So many reasons to choose from. It's like a Cheesecake Factory menu.

by Anonymousreply 39105/15/2013

Buckley left after the first workshop when all the head written was a first act. Ellen Foley did the second workshop.

I don't think Bernadette was "last minute" casting. There were months if not years in between the workshops.

by Anonymousreply 39205/15/2013

make that "all they had written"^^^

Jesh, I should have reread that!

by Anonymousreply 39305/15/2013

Ellen Foley also did the San Diego run. I remember reading an interview at the time of the Bway, where Bernadette said she had driven down to see the show in at the Globe, and hadn't been thinking at all of it for her - and then Sondheim and Lapine called when they knew Broadway was set.

by Anonymousreply 39405/15/2013

Shonn Wiley did NOT have "great definition", r352.

by Anonymousreply 39505/15/2013

r384, you act as if THE PHILADELPHIA STORY was never heard of again after 1939 - it's had an afterlife, you know. I'd say it's about as famous as any mid-century play that's not O'Neill, Williams, Miller, OUR TOWN, or PRIVATE LIVES. I'm not saying it would be a huge draw without a star, but people know it. It's not like MAN AND BOY or shit like that that the Roundabout has done.

by Anonymousreply 39605/15/2013

I saw Philadelphia Story at LC in 1980 with Blythe Danner and Frank Converse. Cynthia Nixon played the young sister.

by Anonymousreply 39705/15/2013

PHILIDELPHIA STORY strikes me as being precisely the kind of thing Roundabout is supposed to be doing. Whether they can do it well is another matter. But the title fits right in with their mission statement.

by Anonymousreply 39805/15/2013

Why do they keep trying to make Aaron Lazar happen? Why do they keep trying to make Nick Adams happen? THAT is the bigger question. Can't act, bland singer, but can dance some. Empty headed bimbo and, let's face it, a bitch too. Good arms do not a Broadway star make.

by Anonymousreply 39905/15/2013

At this point, it should be called "1400 Sundays". He was never a good looking man but his new face lift is pretty horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 40005/15/2013

Also, I want to give Marc Thibodeau the blow job he deserves. I want every drop. I'll bet he is loud when he cums.

by Anonymousreply 40105/15/2013

r396, I don't mean to come across as a total heathen, my purpose in complaining about reviving THE PHILADELPHIA STORY is that there are so many other plays produced since 1939 from which they can choose (aren't there?)

Who is going to be interested in seeing what will predictably be a safe, harmless production with one or two "stars" and a great set?

Beyond the fact that porn star Tracy Lord took the name of the lead character, how relevant is this "high society" play in 2013?

by Anonymousreply 40205/15/2013

What are Aaron Lazar and Nick Adams in now?

by Anonymousreply 40305/15/2013

I would some of the PIPPIN! boys in that Letterman clip bounce on MY balls. IJS.

by Anonymousreply 40405/15/2013

I don't know, r402. How relevant is THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR? Or MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING? Or THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST?

For that matter, how relevant is PRIVATE LIVES?

by Anonymousreply 40505/15/2013

Has "High Society" ever been made into a stage musical?

by Anonymousreply 40605/15/2013

for a few months r406

by Anonymousreply 40705/16/2013

"I don't know, [R402]. How relevant is THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR? Or MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING? Or THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST? For that matter, how relevant is PRIVATE LIVES?"

Why, the very fact that you know these works speaks to their relevance. Why? Because their themes are timeless and universal: WINDSOR: the follies of love and appetite MUCH ADO: battle of the sexes EARNEST: satire of manners and mores PRIVATE LIVES: the inability to truly know and understand other people, the existential struggle for a meaningful life

by Anonymousreply 40805/16/2013

You're pushing it with that description of PRIVATE LIVES. It's a comedy of manners and that's about it

by Anonymousreply 40905/16/2013

Alex Timbers was going to direct that Roundabout Philadelphia Story so Todd presumably thought he'd bring something fresh and anarchic to it.

What, I can't imagine....but it's not as though it was going to be directed by Scott Ellis, Walter Bobbie or...heaven forbid, Doug Hughes.

by Anonymousreply 41005/16/2013

Why hasn't Roundabout ever done Three Men on a Horse? Or The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds? Or The Time of Your Life?

Will it take some young hotshot Brit to rediscover them in London so Todd can import them?

by Anonymousreply 41105/16/2013

Well, Tony Randall's defunct theater company did Three Men on a Horse with director John Tillinger on Broadway and it flopped big time. Tillenger is British, but hardly a hotshot.

by Anonymousreply 41205/16/2013

Roundabout probably postponed Philadelphia Story because Stephanie Block wasnt availible

by Anonymousreply 41305/16/2013

Oh please R405, once again stop missing the point. Don't lump Shaw and Shakespeare with Phillp Barry's pay.

Regarding Noel Coward's Private Lives - well that last revival basically proves my point about lifeless productions with one or two stars and a great set.

Those plays should be revived, but not at the expense of new work, or more relevant revivals simply because the theater company wants cheaper, less risky work to not alienate their aging, conservative subscribers.

by Anonymousreply 41405/16/2013

Kate Mulgrew=late in life lesbo.

by Anonymousreply 41505/16/2013

"You're pushing it with that description of PRIVATE LIVES. It's a comedy of manners and that's about it"

Read that second act again.

"Well, Tony Randall's defunct theater company did Three Men on a Horse..."

And The Actors Company did an Off-Broadway production about two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41605/16/2013

r356, don't forget Megan Mullaly, Greg Edelman, Jim Keach, and Peter Strauss as NU grads. But I disagree about Lilla Heston. She was fine in a few staged readings, but had an extremely limited range. Loved her, though, as a person and animal rights activist!

by Anonymousreply 41705/16/2013

They just announced Nick Adams as lead in Papermill's production of Little Mermaid. I'll have to see that!

by Anonymousreply 41805/16/2013

"Shonn Wiley did NOT have 'great definition'"

Yes he does, R395. He has the kind of lean, well-defined body one normally sees on a dancer. True, he doesn't have the extraordinary hyper-definition of someone who specifically spends hours at the gym to work his abs, etc. Is that how a guy has to look in order to be described as "well defined" nowadays? Let's not be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 41905/16/2013

[quote] don't forget Megan Mullaly, Greg Edelman, Jim Keach, and Peter Strauss as NU grads

Megan Mullally attended Northwestern, but isn't a grad. She left before finishing. She also switched her major from theatre to English after her first semester.

by Anonymousreply 42005/16/2013

Craig Bierko and Sally Murphy are also Northwestern grads, and were a couple at the time.

by Anonymousreply 42105/16/2013

Wow--nothing more scintillating than a running list of college grads.

by Anonymousreply 42205/16/2013

Tommy Berklund is so handsome. He seems like a nice guy too. Who has kissed him?

by Anonymousreply 42305/16/2013

Tommy use to date Tim Hausmann,a former actor (WEST SIDE STORY- B'way and first national) who left the business to be a wine merchant.

by Anonymousreply 42405/16/2013

[quote]They just announced Nick Adams as lead in Papermill's production of Little Mermaid. I'll have to see that!

A mermaid with muscles. should be fun !

by Anonymousreply 42505/16/2013

And he'll look FAB in the flowing red wig!

by Anonymousreply 42605/16/2013

Victoria Mallory from Y&R is a vet of Stephen Sondheim musicals.

by Anonymousreply 42705/16/2013

r428 and was in Follies!

by Anonymousreply 42905/16/2013

Meghann Fahey ( ex-One Life to Live) was a replacement daughter in NEXT TO NORMAL

by Anonymousreply 43005/16/2013

Sherry Mathis (ex-SFT) was a lovely Guenevere in Camelot.

Jill Larson (AMC) did regional theater for 20 years, before landing on AMC

Don't forget Pat Elliot (OLTL) is a Tony winner for A Little Night Music.

by Anonymousreply 43105/16/2013

stop it stop it stop it

by Anonymousreply 43205/16/2013

Stop this SOAP nonsense. We'd be better off with drama school listings. And just remember, the drama school degree doesn't mean a lot if the talent isn't blazing...

by Anonymousreply 43305/16/2013

The Lazy Ass booking of "700 Sundays" shows the complete star fuckers the Shuberts have become. And it will be followed up by a revival of the revival of Les Miserables, as if there's an audience now.

by Anonymousreply 43405/16/2013

Is the LES MIZ revival a stop on the new tour or are they seriously thinking there's a big enough audience to keep it running on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 43505/16/2013

R 435 I think this is supposed to be a full-scale version They tihnk it will fly for another dozen years because of the- er- success of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 43605/16/2013

Is John Grisham's A Time to Kill coming to Broadway this fall with a major young film star in the lead?

by Anonymousreply 43705/16/2013

Who's had Shonn Wiley?

by Anonymousreply 43805/16/2013

Emily Blunt to be The Baker's Wife in "Into the Woods". The popping sound you hear are crazed Sondheimites heads exploding in disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 43905/16/2013

Aaron Lazar? he can happen in my mouth any time he wants to. I've only seen him in the broadcast of Light in the Piazza, but I thought he was completely charming and adorable and sexy. I googled him, and saw what a rocking body he has. I guess I googled and ogled.

by Anonymousreply 44005/16/2013

I went to UC Santa Barbara for a year but then decided it would be easier if Daddy just got me jobs.

by Anonymousreply 44105/16/2013

They're papering ANNIE now? That is surprising to hear, as my my office was offered paper two weeks ago (I didn't accept) but not since, and it's been taken off of TDF.

by Anonymousreply 44205/16/2013

r389 Costume? No. Buckley wanted solo star credit above the title. BETTY BUCKLEY IN INTO THE WOODS and they explained to her that wasn't going to fly and she backed out. I still think STAY WITH ME is written for her voice. Bernadette couldn't get out of the WOODS fast enough once it hit Bway.

by Anonymousreply 44305/17/2013

Do NOT miss the German chick in WICKED as Elphaba. She was just unbelievable in the role. She leaves next week. Don't miss, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 44405/17/2013

Did you like COCK? Then go to 59E59 and see the other half of the double bill, BULL. This one's with the English cast. And while COCK showed us no cocks, BULL gives us Adam James' rippling muscled blonde torso on full display - nice nips, too. And the theater only holds 150, so you can stand right next to him while he's onstage and he'll flirt with you like mad.

by Anonymousreply 44505/17/2013

"And while COCK showed us no cocks, BULL gives us Adam James' rippling muscled blonde torso"

So does he or does he not show his cock, r445? (I can't understand whether your sentence is saying "while COCK showed no cocks, BULL shows cock" or "while COCK showed no cocks, BULL shows no cocks either but does show torso".)

by Anonymousreply 44605/17/2013

The latter, R446.

I take it English is not your first language.

by Anonymousreply 44705/17/2013

[quote]BULL gives us Adam James' rippling muscled blonde torso

yawn. That is the rippling muscled torso? I'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 44805/17/2013

If ANNIE has been taken off TDF, it has to be only because they're trying to save face for Jane Lynch. I saw it last week (prior to her arrival) and there were ACRES of empty seats - such a number that I don't think Jane Lynch possibly has a following of a size that could be filling those every weeknight. It seemed such a clear sense of ticketbuyer disinterest in the production that I would think only a truly A-list box office power star would be able to convert the show into a non-TDF level seller at this point.

James Lapine really, really fucked that show (and brand) up.

by Anonymousreply 44905/17/2013

Thanks for the clarification, r447! English is my first language, but I may not have as much of a feel for the nuances of it as you do. (For instance, I never knew "rippling" and "muscled" were words that could be used to apply to that body in the pic you linked to!)

by Anonymousreply 45005/17/2013

Philadelphia Story needs stars, couldn't get them, end of Story.

by Anonymousreply 45105/17/2013

R444- I am NOT German, I am from Holland like the fabulous Pia Douwes. I have the distinction of playing Elphaba in 3 different languages and have played the role longer than any other actress. They love me on Broadway unlike Elena Roger in Evita.

by Anonymousreply 45205/17/2013

[quote] Bernadette was attached to the production at one point, but had to bow out due to a conflict.

She was never attached to the project, Buckley was.

When Buckley dropped out, they needed a replacement, FAST. As a favor to Sondhiem Bernadette stepped into what is a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 45305/17/2013

Wait....it's a supporting role??

by Anonymousreply 45405/17/2013

r444, who the fuck is still going to see WICKED except screaming tweens and their adoring, enabling soccer moms. Please!

by Anonymousreply 45505/17/2013

Any of you guys see PRETTYBELLE?

Angela! Lansbury!

by Anonymousreply 45605/17/2013

Yikes! What wiki has to say about PRETTYBELLE

by Anonymousreply 45705/17/2013

Are they closing off the rear balcony at the Palace for ANNIE?

by Anonymousreply 45805/17/2013

Willemijn Verkaik was interviewed on SiriusXM ON Broadway with Julie James a few weeks ago. She sang a song from WICKED in all three dialects, alternating between verses. It was really interesting to hear. A friend of mine just went in the show as one of th ensemble members, she says Verkaik is amazing on stage.

by Anonymousreply 45905/17/2013

R445, that actor's body is SO not a rippling blonde torso.

by Anonymousreply 46005/17/2013

r452, Bless you for working Pia Douwes into the thread.

by Anonymousreply 46105/17/2013

[quote]Are they closing off the rear balcony at the Palace for ANNIE?

Honey, they should have closed off the stage for this revival.

by Anonymousreply 46205/17/2013

r462 = Katie Finneran

by Anonymousreply 46305/17/2013

I love me some Katie Finneran - don't nobody talk bad about Miss Katie Finneran now!

by Anonymousreply 46405/17/2013

Saw Lansbury and Charlotte Rae in "Prettybelle" in Boston, where it folded. A couple of wonderful moments ("I'm In a Tree" and "When I'm Drunk I'm Beautiful") but mostly the show was dreck.

by Anonymousreply 46505/17/2013

I was watching a Frasier re-run from Season 7 last night on the Hallmark Channel and a very young Katie Finnerman was the love interest of Niles.

by Anonymousreply 46605/17/2013

"If ANNIE has been taken off TDF, it has to be only because they're trying to save face for Jane Lynch. I saw it last week (prior to her arrival) and there were ACRES of empty seats - such a number that I don't think Jane Lynch possibly has a following of a size that could be filling those every weeknight. It seemed such a clear sense of ticketbuyer disinterest in the production that I would think only a truly A-list box office power star would be able to convert the show into a non-TDF level seller at this point."

Pity.

"James Lapine really, really fucked that show (and brand) up."

Truer words were never spoken -- but in fairness, the last Broadway revival, which was directed by another incompetent, also fucked up the show (and maybe the brand as well).

by Anonymousreply 46705/17/2013

do we love that these kids keep working together or do they need to cut it the fuck out?

by Anonymousreply 46805/17/2013

What's up with Heidi Blickenstaff's Zellweger squint? Or those chola girl eyebrows?

by Anonymousreply 46905/17/2013

She looks very RuPaul's Drag Race in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 47005/17/2013

Finneran was fantastic in that whirlwind 'Company' with datalounge fav Aaron Lazar, Neil Patrick Harris and Patti LuPone.

Makes Glee's Emma Pillsbury look like leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 47105/17/2013

I saw Jane Lynch on her first night in ANNIE and she was very good. I've ignored GLEE so I don't know if she was doing a variation on that character but she had great timing and sounded fine on the songs.

The choreography however was horrible. I didn't think it was possible to fuck up the dancing in ANNIE until I saw that production.

by Anonymousreply 47205/17/2013

[quote]The choreography however was horrible. I didn't think it was possible to fuck up the dancing in ANNIE until I saw that production.

True dat!

by Anonymousreply 47305/17/2013

The choreography for this ANNIE was jaw-dropping. All they had to do was drag out a kickline of spunky orphan girls. That's all the audience wants. But no. We got that weird, angular, cool shit. It was like a master class in wrong choices.

by Anonymousreply 47405/17/2013

The choreography in this Annie is a massive clusterfuck of fail.

by Anonymousreply 47505/17/2013

When the Hooverville residents struck freeze poses before 'We'd Like to Thank you Herbert Hoover' I was suspicious, but the moment that reinforced the idea that the choreographer was a pretentious idiot was the decision to have the orphans come out during 'Little Girls' and have seizures on the floor in case anyone missed the lyric, 'everywhere i turn I can see them'. Truly awful.

by Anonymousreply 47605/17/2013

r456 the Prettybelle clip is already deleted! Damn. Was it on onstage performance or on some variety/awards show?

by Anonymousreply 47705/17/2013

Michaels Feingold and Musto were fired from The Village Voice today.

The Voice press release states, "Feingold, named a Pulitzer finalist for criticism in 2009, has been invited to continue his association with the Voice by serving as chairman of the annual Obie Awards."

So it assume they want to keep the OBIES going...

The timing it terrible, the OBIE Awards are scheduled for Monday night.

by Anonymousreply 47805/17/2013

How come Annie is one of the most popular Broadway shows of the past 50 years and the revivals ALWAYS flop?

by Anonymousreply 47905/17/2013

R456 It's a song from the studio cast album not a video.

by Anonymousreply 48005/17/2013

Has Feingold started sobbing his tale of woe over on Talkin Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 48105/17/2013

Sorry, that Prettybelle comment was for R477

by Anonymousreply 48205/17/2013

[quote]How come Annie is one of the most popular Broadway shows of the past 50 years and the revivals ALWAYS flop?

Because it was a delightful surprise - a sentimental throwback in a cynical era - when it first opened. You can't recapture that. Now that everyone is familiar with ANNIE, its power as a nostalgic novelty has worn off.

by Anonymousreply 48305/17/2013

I agree with R483. I'd also add that the show is front loaded with all of the hits and the 2nd act is pretty weak. Once the orphans and Hannigan are offstage, the show may as well end.

by Anonymousreply 48405/17/2013

There aren't that many people left who actually remember the original comic strip of "Little Orphan Annie."

by Anonymousreply 48505/17/2013

There's nothing wrong with ANNIE that a great production of it wouldn't cure. No show, no matter how good, could possibly survive a production as bad as the one Lapine et al. have given this one. No show is indestructible - see Des McAnuff's three-month bomb revival of GUYS AND DOLLS as proof. And GUYS AND DOLLS is obviously a much greater musical than ANNIE (or almost anything else).

If anything, the fact that this shitty ANNIE is still hanging on after six months is proof of what a large audience there still is for the title, despite what I'm sure is poisonous word-of-mouth.

As for the '90s revival - wasn't that a bad production, too? I've never heard anyone say, "Boy, that '90s revival of ANNIE was so charming and warm and fun!"

by Anonymousreply 48605/17/2013

Oh, and I forgot to add that I think the badness of this ANNIE is so apparent that even children get it. A friend with a seven-year-old daughter told me that the first thing her daughter said to her when the lights came up at the end of MATILDA was, "That was SOOOO much better than ANNIE!"

by Anonymousreply 48705/17/2013

Shitty little Annie!

by Anonymousreply 48805/17/2013

Haha, r489, I don't work for anything, but my sympathies would normally lie exactly the opposite way. I haven't seen MATILDA so have no opinion on it, but I've always been really fond of ANNIE and would love to see a new generation of kids embrace it. If only there were a better production to make that possible! Anyway, just reporting what my friend told me - I have no expertise in the psychology of seven-year-olds so I can't comment on your feeling that kids don't compare Broadway shows that they've seen.

by Anonymousreply 49005/17/2013

The last Annie revival flopped because Martin Charnin directed it and couldn't use Mike Nichols to bail him out on that one. This one flopped because James Lapine directed it, Andy Blankenhaventgotaclue choreographed it and whoever cast it was drunk or stoned. Maybe Liza's new show will take the Palace when this shitfest closes this summer.

by Anonymousreply 49105/17/2013

whatever, I think both shows look terrible and wouldn't sit through either of 'em. I don't like children singing, it's offensive to my highly trained musical ears.

by Anonymousreply 49205/17/2013

I agree. I think ANNIE is a bolt-solid show. It's hard to totally fuck up. And yet, Lapine did just that.

by Anonymousreply 49305/17/2013

I thought some of the choreography in Annie was good. I liked the tap dancing finale, "A New Deal For Christmas" isn't that great a song and it made for an upbeat ending- very Shirley Temple depression! I thought the Runyonland ripped off NYC was good, too. If only the whole show had been like that.

The problem was the design and direction. The book for Annie is rock solid and Lapine and company killed it. I've never heard so many sure fire laugh lines die due to bad blocking. That orphanage set with Hannigan entering at the top of the tall stairs killed every exit and entrance laugh. No Hannigan will make that set go away. Warbucks wobbly mansion with the turning stairs from Harry Potter made me nervous.

by Anonymousreply 49405/17/2013

I predict The Village Voice won't exist by the end of the year - firing (excuse me "letting go") Feingold, Musto and the rest was one of the dumbest moves of all time. Feingold is far and away the best theater critic around.

by Anonymousreply 49505/17/2013

Totally agree. In addition, Feingold is the only critic who has a true erudition and passion for musicals. He will hopefully find another outlet for his talents.

by Anonymousreply 49605/17/2013

Feingold's definitely one of the stronger critics around, but I find myself looking forward to Hilton Als's essays/critiques in the New Yorker more than I seek out Feingold anymore.

by Anonymousreply 49705/17/2013

Suck on this for 2014!!!

by Anonymousreply 49805/17/2013

Any integrity Feingold has is completely and utterly negated by his incessant and needy posting on All That Chat. It's pitiful how desperate he is to be fawned over.

by Anonymousreply 49905/17/2013

[quote]How come Annie is one of the most popular Broadway shows of the past 50 years and the revivals ALWAYS flop?

And don't forget there are no Child Prices and parents can throw in the DVD for nothing anytime. It cost a lot for a family to see shows.

by Anonymousreply 50005/17/2013

Wow, Musto deserved to be fired; he was simply an internet troll before the internet existed. Now everyone does what he did for a living.

Feingold's termination is a real loss; his reviews have everything the NY Times reviews don't have (wit, intelligence, love for the theater) but think they do.

by Anonymousreply 50105/17/2013

Does anyone think any actions will be taken about the Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf controversy in Riedel's column today (sorry for the link to NY Post)? Obvoiusly Jeffrey Richards knows that he was wrong in sending out the brochure, but Nelle Nugent sounds like quite the battle axe. Could it backfire on her and turn voters against voting for Cicely Tyson and the show itself?

by Anonymousreply 50305/17/2013

Oh, Christ, nobody cares about this nonsense. If this high school garbage is what prevents the Tony committee from recognizing work of merit, then just fucking eliminate the award already.

by Anonymousreply 50405/17/2013

[quote]Does anyone think any actions will be taken about the Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf controversy in Riedel's column today

Nah. It's just the gay, Jewish version of Benghazi.

by Anonymousreply 50505/17/2013

Oh R502, are you serious? Of course I absolutely care about the feedback of an astute theater critic as opposed to the rants of anonymous internet posters - who may or may not have their own agendas!

While I do agree everyone does do what he did for a living, that hardly means they are qualified or their opinions have any redeeming value! I will say some posters here ARE very insightful regarding certain productions, this place is by far the exception,

Too many people, Americans under 35 especially, grew up thinking because they always got a trophy they were actually good at the sport. We all known that is just not the reality.

by Anonymousreply 50605/17/2013

[quote]Could it backfire on her and turn voters against voting for Cicely Tyson and the show itself?

VOTE Kristine Nielsen!!!!

Geraldine Page got there before Cisely and did it better!!!!Kristine is an original!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50705/17/2013

Someone told me that the only people buying Annie tickets are older gay men who bring their nieces.

I'd love to bring my nieces, but it's too expensive.

I can't think of anything since Beauty and the Beast that packed that barn for more than a year.

by Anonymousreply 50805/17/2013

Does Brynn O'Malley have a scar on her forehead or something? She has the same severe bangs (which I don't think are very flattering) in the show as she has for years in real life.

by Anonymousreply 51005/17/2013

R509 why are so angry? Your anti-critic agenda, makes me think you were the victim of more than a few critical reviews.

I tried to be civil but once again you proved you can't even make a cohesive argument. You keep describing the critics as "strangers" while you conveniently ignore the fact that there are not trailers or internet "advice" for half the productions Feingold reviewed?

by Anonymousreply 51105/17/2013

That is complete bullshit r509. Trailers and interviews tell you nothing but what the producers want you to know. That is not the same as getting a well written critique of the film by an impartial observer. Critics are NOT obsolete. For instance, I never would've seen "Mud" tonight were it not for the rapturous reviews I read on rottentomatoes.com. Bits of those reviews inspired me to go. A movie which 98% of the critics gets my attention. And I turned out to love the movie. You're such an idiot ("Just watch commercials and read about what the actors and writers think about their own movie!")

by Anonymousreply 51205/17/2013

Feingold's reviews show a deep love and appreciation of theatre.

Isherwood and Brantley's show a deep boredom and hatred of theatre.

by Anonymousreply 51305/17/2013

[quote]Isherwood and Brantley's show a deep boredom and hatred of theatre.

Why do I feel like the ATC kids are taking over this board?

by Anonymousreply 51405/18/2013

Enough Jane Lynch and Feingold talk. I want to know the cast of First Date, which is supposedly starting previews in 7 weeks!

by Anonymousreply 51505/18/2013

Was Ellen Foley well-reviewed in Into The Woods?

by Anonymousreply 51605/18/2013

No R510

by Anonymousreply 51705/18/2013

The sad, uneducated anti-critic loon only knows of critics as consumer advisers. Should I see this? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

A real critic (like Feingold) does much more than than and has studied the subject they are discussing.

You should learn the difference.

by Anonymousreply 51805/18/2013

Thank you R518!

Perfectly stated.

R509 is so common, (meant as pejoratively as possible) he will still rant and miss the point, I am sure.

by Anonymousreply 51905/18/2013

There used to be video of Lansbury recording the album of Prettysmell.

Don't know if it's still on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 52005/18/2013

Ain't nothin like the real thing, baby:

[quote]That was pending and Had not been sent I didn't realize that and it just went. Just noticed I had saved it ... It was yesterday

by Anonymousreply 52105/18/2013

Playbill: Shirtless men HEAT UP Broadway!

Warning! The last two photographs are Alan Cumming.

by Anonymousreply 52205/18/2013

What's this If/Then musical Idina Menzel is starring in? Opens at the National in DC in November before coming to Broadway in the winter? Michael Greif is directing.

Anybody know who's playing the leads in the Bullets Over Broadway readings June 10-14?

by Anonymousreply 52305/18/2013

r520 having seen Prettybelle in Boston I can tell you it was a lot better and infinitely more interesting than anything produced in this century. And it was brilliantly stage by Gower Champion and performed magnificently by Angela Lansbury. I wish it had made it to NYC, but so glad I saw it . And can't say that about the dozens of "hits" that landed on Broadway these past 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 52405/18/2013

OMG. Soon it will be time for Theater Gossip #112. Maybe even by dawn. Please no list of humdrum theater department grads. That's a thread killer if ever there was one. Let's some real Tony bitchery going. Time is running out for the Va. Woolf graft.

by Anonymousreply 52505/18/2013

If/Then is by the Next to Normal folks.

by Anonymousreply 52605/18/2013

Did The Performers not get a single Tony nomination? It wasn't THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 52705/18/2013

It didn't run long enough to get the nominaters in.

by Anonymousreply 52805/18/2013

Nice article about Andrea Martin in the current Entertainment Weekly. I was surprised by the fact that she apparently is the leader in the number of "Best Featured Actress-Musical" Tony nominations.

by Anonymousreply 52905/18/2013

Of course, Andrea Martin is the Tony leader in her category. Come out from under your rock. This thread is theater gossip, not lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 53005/19/2013

Did Amy Adams ruin her chances of getting cast in the Into the Woods film because of her sloppy appearance in the show last summer? What a shame!

by Anonymousreply 53105/19/2013

Yippee

by Anonymousreply 53205/19/2013

Any reports on Far From Heaven yet?

by Anonymousreply 53305/19/2013

A friend of mine who saw it said FAR FROM HEAVEN was nearly good. Clever, intelligent, pleasant, if not really moving. Not quite art, but not particularly commercial either. He felt that in a weird way it suffered from the aforementioned MACK & MABEL problem; it's supposed to be an homage to the movies, but, because it's a theatre piece, can't do its inspiration justice. Oh, and he loathed the design.

by Anonymousreply 53405/19/2013

The film of Far From Heaven fell short of feeling as well. An exercise in style over substance. And the musical doesn't solve the problem: I found the score a real disappointment (this was addressed in the last thread by several posters).

by Anonymousreply 53505/19/2013

What is the plot of Far From Heaven anyway?

I saw the film and remember nothing but the pretty crinoline dresses and autumn leaves.

by Anonymousreply 53605/19/2013

I saw Far from Heaven yesterday and was really disappointed. The main character is totally passive, there is no chemistry with the black gardener, and the husband's role is underwritten so much that none of the big numbers work - you don't care about him so you don't care about her and their relationship.

The music, as in Grey Gardens, is relentless. All style and dated wit, none of it connecting to the audience. Most songs make their pretty obvious point by the end if the first phrase. In Grey Gardens, at least there were enough numbers that worked to make it tolerable. Plus, it had better characters and actors. Why these writers seem to enjoy writing crappy songs and parts (in a false tone) for young children eludes me completely.

Did I mention the hideous sets? If you've seen Mad Men, the attempts to evoke period fall especially flat.

Really didn't enjoy this - and if they put it on Broadway, it will be a turgid flop.

by Anonymousreply 53705/19/2013

"I saw the film and remember nothing but the pretty crinoline dresses and autumn leaves."

Precisely.

by Anonymousreply 53805/19/2013

And that fucking train at the end.

by Anonymousreply 53905/19/2013

R417. I thought Heston gave wonderful performances in fully staged productions of "The House of Bernarda Alba" and "Ghosts," in which I saw her during my days at Northwestern. (The latter also featured Tony winner Frank Galati, novelist/screenwriter Allison Burnett, Obie winner Jodie Markell, and the always extraordinary Robert Breen).

Incidentally, I've read that Mullaly says she majored in Radio-TV-Film, not Theatre. I have a vague recollection she may have majored in or considered majoring in Interpretation--which may be where the "English" major label came from. I ate lunch at her cafeteria table once with some friends--even as a freshman she knew how to hold court.

by Anonymousreply 54005/19/2013

r537 Also disappointed. Saw it at Williamstown and had the same reaction you experienced. I guess not much work has been done on it. It's a drag in all respects.

by Anonymousreply 54105/19/2013

R535, I disagree. The film Far From Heaven had that sublime painful, sad quality to it. I was very moved by it and Cathy's plight and saw it several at the cinema.

Agree with R534, that it's the homage to a cinematic legacy that makes FFH such an exquisite film; not sure why anyone would transfer this film to stage much less the hapless team that did that very weak adaptation of Grey Gardens. These two think that having a superficial appreciation of a work qualifies them to adapt it, as if that were reason enough to pursue such an endeavour. They're so clueless they don't even begin to resolve the basic issues of adapting a work to another medium.

Grey Gardens was just a throwaway curtain raiser followed by the best lines from the film with the ending of My Fair Lady tacked on. Truly pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 54205/19/2013

Why the fuck does a mediocre, over the top, shrill, annoying as hell hack like Liza have three Tony awards?

by Anonymousreply 54305/19/2013

Cause Momma taught her to sing one note. And the note, it goes like this...

by Anonymousreply 54405/19/2013

No, seriously R544. Who on earth voted for Liza? Was the entire voting committee filled with Judy queens who were transferring their loyalties to Liza? She's a classic example of someone who'd have never made it past bit parts in B movies if it hadn't been for showbiz nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 54505/19/2013

r545

I'm no Liza fan, but that's not true. The family name(s) opened doors, but she proved herself to many by what she did once she walked through them.

If what you were saying was true, Lorna Luft, Frank Sinatra Jr etc would all have similar success to Liza.

by Anonymousreply 54605/19/2013

You'll get your chance to find out why live and in person next season on *B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y*, R543!

by Anonymousreply 54705/19/2013

Liza could walk off with Cabaret if she did Schneider in the Roudabout revival.

by Anonymousreply 54805/19/2013

I always thought Roundabout should get Joel Grey to play Herr Schultz. He might not be good, but the press would be amazing. And if you put him opposite Liza? Well, is there anyone here who wouldn't storm the box office, anxious to witness the freakshow?

by Anonymousreply 54905/19/2013

Judi Dench played both roles in Cabaret (well, one was just a recording) so Liza's feat would not be that groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 55005/19/2013

Yes, r540, I saw those performances as well, and she had a powerful presence. But to say she had more talent than her brother is stretching it a bit. Staged readings were her metier.

by Anonymousreply 55105/19/2013

I think Grey Gardens is the best new musical Broadway has seen in years, but given that time has also seen Memphis, Matilda, Kinky Boots, Spring Awakening and Next to Normal, I realize that this is faint praise. Still I'd see Grey Gardens another five times than sit through any of those other shows again. Hoping Far From Heaven is better than these reports as I see it in two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 55205/19/2013

On a note to note basis, Grey Gardens' score was among the finest in many a season. But, conceptually, the show--including the score--was misconceived from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 55305/19/2013

what do you know r553

by Anonymousreply 55405/19/2013

[quote]What do you know. [R553]?

What R553 knows is his onions.

R542 has also got a talent for slicing and dicing:

[quote]Grey Gardens was just a throwaway curtain raiser followed by the best lines from the film with the ending of My Fair Lady tacked on.

Couldn't agree more.

by Anonymousreply 55505/20/2013

Sorry, R553, I meant it was R554's grammar I repaired.

by Anonymousreply 55605/20/2013

Sounds like a lot of failed (song) writers on this thread!

542, I'm talkin to you. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 55705/20/2013

Agree that Far From Heaven on stage is just . . . dull.

by Anonymousreply 55805/20/2013

I couldn't get involved in Far From Heaven because I was distracted at how pregnant Kelli O'Hara is getting and how short Steven Pasquale is.

And the set looks like Next to Normal with leaves.

by Anonymousreply 56005/20/2013

r557 a lot of failed songwriters have their shows produced anyway, and therein lies the problem with theater today.

by Anonymousreply 56105/20/2013

R560 I wondered about that... and she's doing the show til the end of June?!

by Anonymousreply 56205/20/2013

R557, I'm not a failed song writer. Don't know what that has to do with being able to discern between good and bad storytelling. Whatever makes you feel better, I guess.

R559, it really was like that. Throughout the second act, Edie kept saying she had to leave, she had to leave and then in the final scene it was all "Eliza, where are my slippers?" The composers and book writer never even scratched the surface of this material, it was VERY superficial and disappointing to anyone familiar with the source material.

by Anonymousreply 56305/20/2013

[quote]Any integrity Feingold has is completely and utterly negated by his incessant and needy posting on All That Chat.

You're really an idiot. Feingold doesn't post there often, and when he does it's usually with a bit of information that adds a bit of perspective to a discussion. Then again, from the sound of it, you're perfectly happy with the hitbycabs of the world.

by Anonymousreply 56505/20/2013

R564 if that was the only thing discussed in these threads I think they'd still be at THEATRE GOSSIP #11.

by Anonymousreply 56605/20/2013

Thank God they finally changed the commercial for Vanya.....Now maybe people will be interested in seeing it. The last one had a voiceover by a demented queer and it was offputting.

by Anonymousreply 56705/20/2013

Agreed, r565, about Feingold's "incessant" posts on ATC. Actually, I wish he'd post more often and correct some of the misinformation that crops up regularly.

by Anonymousreply 56805/20/2013

treply 552t

by Anonymousreply 56905/20/2013

Well I guess I'm in the minority about Far From Heaven - I loved it. Aside from Kelli O'Hara's obvious pregnancy, she was in great voice, and is a really good actress. This is one of those shows that exists for a certain audience, and has no aspirations about marketing it for a tourist mentality - It's not perfect, but certainly i wasn't bored. And I loved the design.

by Anonymousreply 57005/20/2013

"I think ANNIE is a bolt-solid show. It's hard to totally fuck up. And yet, Lapine did just that."

Yes, Lapine totally fucked it up this time, and Martin Charnin totally fucked up the Nell Carter revival. Both are apparently clueless about how to direct this show, which is pretty ironic in Charnin's case, since he co-wrote it.

Damn shame.

by Anonymousreply 57105/20/2013

The suspense is finally over and we can relax. The cast was announced today for First Date....the first flop of the season.

by Anonymousreply 57205/20/2013

FIRST DATE sounds like such a lame idea even for Off Broadway, I don't know how it could work on Broadway. Maybe it's got an incredible score, huge stars and a gangbuster creative team? The blurb makes it sound like the jokes will begin dating as soon as they come out of the actors' mouths.

by Anonymousreply 57305/20/2013

Well, the "big star" theory has just been shot down for FIRST DATE:

by Anonymousreply 57405/20/2013

I can't believe no one has mentioned Riedel's snarky remark about Rob Ashford on Friday's "Theater Talk." Also, BB should stick to writing, not appearing on TV.

by Anonymousreply 57505/20/2013

...but the lark was blinDUH. The lark was blinDUH!

by Anonymousreply 57605/20/2013

Damn! All this time I thought it was a musical of that board game from the 1960s (Mystery Date?). This not only sounds awful, it sounds like something that has been done before.

by Anonymousreply 57705/20/2013

RomanceRomance!

by Anonymousreply 57805/20/2013

What did Riedel say about Ashford?

Who is BB? Not Betty Buckley?

by Anonymousreply 57905/20/2013

I was actually surprised that Brantley appeared on the Riedel show. Thought Ben was above that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 58005/20/2013

Will good Christian boy Zachary Levi be able to resist the temptation of legendary NY chorus boy blowjobs?

by Anonymousreply 58105/20/2013

I would totally let him fuck my mouth

by Anonymousreply 58205/20/2013

The producers of FIRST DATE are totally fucking their show over. I saw it in Seattle and it was a trifle at best. In terms of straight-couple-date-shows, it makes I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT look like Arthur Miller. That said, it could probably do really well in other regional theaters. I suppose it could even go off-Broadway, if such a thing actually existed anymore. But it seems they'e going to let it self-immolate and embarrass itself on Broadway. And in doing so, they're gonna kill whatever stock and amateur potential the show might have.

by Anonymousreply 58305/20/2013

[quote]but that's not why I'm posting. Why I'm posting is: No one in my life will let me pontificate or be a shrill, carping, superior asshole at parties, so I have to do it here.

Fixed it for you, R10.

by Anonymousreply 58405/20/2013

Headline of the review in today's NYTimes print edition of Rebecca Luker's cabaret show:

"The Cabaret of an Actress Inspired by Jerome Kerr"

How the mighty have fallen!

by Anonymousreply 58505/20/2013

I hope the person who creates the new #112 Theater Gossip page is hard at work. This dreary thread is still crawling drearily toward its 600 entry grave. And not soon enough. And no Michael Arden nudies so far. C'mon, guys.

by Anonymousreply 58605/20/2013

Where did COCO go to college?

Where did PRETTYBELLE go to college?

Where did GIGI go to college?

by Anonymousreply 58705/20/2013

The photos of Jane Lynch in Annie look terrific. Finally someone is in charge on that show and will be for eight weeks and then poof, it will probably close for good. Unless they put the ever cute John Stamos in some role (any role), which means it will surely close the next week.

by Anonymousreply 58805/20/2013

ANNIE is closing after Lynch leaves. Just too much competition for 'little girl' shows (MATILDA and Rodgers and Hammersteins... umm.. excus eme make that Rodgers + Hammerstein's CINDERELLA) right now. Those two are selling.

by Anonymousreply 58905/20/2013

Anyone in LA see The Royale at the Kirk Douglas Theatre?

It looks mighty sexy!

by Anonymousreply 59005/20/2013

I hope Daisy isn't Krysta's understudy again cuz you just know she's gonna fuck her over and grab that Tony!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 59105/20/2013

Okay, 112 -

by Anonymousreply 59205/20/2013

Torniodo hits Oklahoma so everything is not OK there today. Sad

Maryann

by Anonymousreply 59305/20/2013

New thread #112 is UP!

by Anonymousreply 59405/20/2013

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.

by Anonymousreply 59505/20/2013

Boy- are attendees of tonite's benefit of The Night Larry Kramer Kissed Me gonna be in for a shock when they see an old man in David Drake, rather than the pic of him from the original poster.

by Anonymousreply 59605/20/2013

Better hope Drake doesn't catch sight of himself in a mirror and start complaining about how the casting.

by Anonymousreply 59705/20/2013

If Joel Grey played Herr Schultz they'd be rooting for the Nazis to get him.

by Anonymousreply 59805/20/2013

MERRILY AROUND THE FORUM WITH GEORGE!

by Anonymousreply 59905/20/2013

A LITTLE NIGHT MOTHER!

by Anonymousreply 60005/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.