Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Eggplants

I have decided to try my hand at growing some eggplants in my garden this year, and I am looking for some tasty eggplant recipes.

Do any DLers have a favorite they would like to share?

I would be most grateful.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 4605/10/2013

You're setting the bar too high. It is eggplant. How about "recipes that don't make you vomit"?

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

Now, now ….

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

Google Egglant recipes, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

Bite my crank, asswipe!

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

I love fried battered sliced eggplant. Dip in beaten eggs then in cracker crumbs, fry in oil.

I NEVER make it because it uses a quart of oil.

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

I like to make mini pizzas out of them. Slice an eggplant into 1/4 or 1/3 inch disks, salt them for 10-15 minutes and blot moisture out. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until slightly browned. Spread top with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle low fat mozzarella on top. Bake until cheese is melted. Great low carb snack.

I prefer smaller Asian eggplants in curries, ratatouille and stews. I'm linking a great recipe for grilled eggplant with Thai flavors (I don't use zucchini) that I make every week in hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2013

GREAT in indian food

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

R6, Better if you use pizza sauce, a variety of cheeses, and then mushrooms and other standard pizza toppers. If you're not dieting, bread and pan fry the crosswise slices, and stir fry the mushrooms, onions, olives, sliced tomato, etc.

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

R7, Do you have any Indian recipes where you don't have to spend a million buying all kinds of esoteric spices and ingredients for the dish?

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2013

So what R8 is saying is that a totally different idea that has nothing to do with R6 is better.

You know what is better than strawberry jello? Cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2013

R10, Come on. My dish is also called "eggplant pizza" and uses very similar ingredients. What's the commonality between strawberry jello and cheesecake, unless you combine the 2 and make strawberry-jello-cheesecake?

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

I took r3's rudely barked advice and found this recipe.

DL Chefs/Cooks/Gourmands -- What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2013

"allrecipes.com" is my fav resource. The following really looks "interesting."

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2013

[quote]v

garlic, ginger root, cumin and coriander and pepper, are those esoteric?

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

R14, Read the comments following the recipe for changes and improvements; best part of Allrecipes. Perhaps peanut oil and rice vinegar are exotic for people living in nowheresville. Even the grocery store clerk in Vegas wasn't familiar with fresh ginger root.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2013

You know they're poisonous, right? You have to be very careful.

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2013

they aren't poisonous at all.

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2013

Buy the smaller Asian eggplants. Cut into small pieces, skin on. Put in a colander with salt and turmeric, leave for about an hour then squeeze any liquid out. In a wok or large skillet, heat up vegetable oil and sautéed chopped onions. When golden, add chopped garlic and chopped fresh ginger, sautée until aromatic. Add eggplant, one sliced green chili, about 1 tablespoon tamarind paste, a sprig of curry leaves, a stick of cinnamon, about 2 teaspoons of coriander and about 1 teaspoon cumin. Stir well to combine and cook the spices, then add about a half a cup of water or so and bring it to a boil then lower to simmer, stirring. When reduced to nice thick consistency serve. Salt to taste. Serve with rice and dhal and some Indian breads like naan or chapatti.

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2013

Yeah, they are R17. If not prepared properly.

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2013

You can't go wrong with baba ganoush, especially if you have an outdoor grill to roast the eggplant.

I also love the America's Test Kitchen eggplant parm recipe. It comes out very crispy and not terribly fattening at all. They bake the breaded eggplant rather than fry it, and put very little sauce on it and serve more sauce on the side. When I do it. I actually make little stacks of the disks pushed tightly together but with little open spaces between so that they get even crisper.

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2013

Cooks, Do you lose any vitamins when you drain the eggplant?

by Anonymousreply 2105/08/2013

" a sprig of curry leaves "

Is this plant what you mean? If so, I have never heard of it, much less seen where to buy one. Is this a spice in the spice aisle?

by Anonymousreply 2205/08/2013

Iranians are the masters of the eggplant. Google "Persian eggplant recipe" and you will surely find some super-delicious ideas.

by Anonymousreply 2305/08/2013

R23, It's getting warm so how about Persian Eggplant Ice Cream?

by Anonymousreply 2405/08/2013

My recipe for requires only COOC EVOO, Pingtung long aubergines, and grey salt of dried bumblebee sweat to taste. You won't be cheating on your diet, and your children will love it.

by Anonymousreply 2505/08/2013

Eggplants are part of the nightshade family and contain a small amount of solanine which can be toxic in large amounts.

Don't worry about it. Eat. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 2605/08/2013

[quote]Eggplants are part of the nightshade family

So are tomatoes, potatoes, and sweet and hot peppers.

by Anonymousreply 2705/08/2013

I love ratatouille & make it in the oven. I haven't tried the version at the link but it sure looks beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 2805/08/2013

Just a suggestion, OP. Since you don't want to bother to do your own research.

Remember to relax. But do, please, sit on it hard.

by Anonymousreply 2905/08/2013

Ratatouille: eggplant, tomatoes, onion, celery and capers. A million recipes online.

Caponata is kind of the same thing but has a more sweet and sour thing going on. Some versions have raisins in them which I don't care for but you can find recipes without them or just leave them out.

Stir fried szchuan (sp?) eggplant with pork and garlic or just garlic.

My father planted eggplant one year and the plant was so prodigious that after we sat down to eggplant soup my mother went outside and ripped the plant out of the ground. I love eggplant, but there is a limit. Plant wisely.

by Anonymousreply 3005/08/2013

R30, does your mother offer these services to strangers?

I have friends who wait until I'm away to leave me bags of zucchini. I'd pay someone to visit their garden and tear out all of their plants.

by Anonymousreply 3105/08/2013

Sadly, R31, my mother has passed but I'm pretty sure I could make a fortune performing the same service. Why people plant more than one zucchini plant is a mystery to me. Especially when they do it year after year.

by Anonymousreply 3205/08/2013

R31, You can't be serious. Even if you don't like zuchinni (substitute for carrots in carrot cake,) don't you know anyone else who would appreciate them?

by Anonymousreply 3305/08/2013

Same basic recipe for just about every veggie - curried

Olive oil, onion, garlic, tomato, salt & pepper to taste, eggplant diced, powdered cumin, onion seed, curry powder - saute onion in olive oil, yadda yadda, the trick here is that you need to really cook eggplant a long time, at least an hour, until it's almost mushy. Serve with basmati rice and yogurt, yum.

by Anonymousreply 3405/08/2013

Zucchinis are so stupid they don't even know how to be a cucumber.

by Anonymousreply 3505/08/2013

R22, they sell curry leaves in packets at Indian/South Asian food markets - looks like a bay leaf, but greener and brighter, and much more pungent, but unmistakably curry.

by Anonymousreply 3605/08/2013

Special Grilled Eggplant

Take one large eggplant. Cut it in 1/4" thick slices, top to bottom. Dredge it lightly in good quality olive oil and then pass the moistened slice through bread crumbs. Top the piece with shredded (not grated) parmesan cheese and place on the broiler rack until the cheese melts and the eggplant piece is dark and crusty looking. Dee-licious.

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2013

Surely the plural of eggplant is eggsplant

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2013

Thank you to everyone who responded.

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2013

OP--just made these. Really easy & delicious.

by Anonymousreply 4005/10/2013

Here ya go, OP. From Epicurious and rated close to 4 forks.

by Anonymousreply 4105/10/2013

Here's a sandwich with eggplant, OP, and rated 4 forks.

by Anonymousreply 4205/10/2013

Looks good, r6 r40.

Thanks for sharing your success with this recipe.

by Anonymousreply 4305/10/2013

Eggplant Sandwiches are yummy. Slice and roast the eggplant after brushing it with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Make the sandwich on a hard roll with fresh basil, roasted red bell pepper, feta, mayonnaise and mustard.

This is great with potato chips, ice tea or red wine.

by Anonymousreply 4405/10/2013

They're certainly pretty, but they taste like flavorless mush. I don't consider them "food", I consider them "edible".

by Anonymousreply 4505/10/2013

If you find them flavorless and mushy, you're either buying the wrong eggplants (the bigger, the more tasteless and mushy unless you salt them and press out the excess moisture) or preparing them wrong. Eggplants are sponges and will easily become waterlogged if you don't take the proper steps. Try the Asian eggplants, they are tastier.

by Anonymousreply 4605/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.