Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone else find Jennifer Lawrence instantly unlikeable?

I don't know what it is about her, but I find her instantly unlikeable. She looks very plastic and fake for some reason and her performance in [italic]The Hunger Games[/italic] was okay, it wasn't great in any way.

Unfortunately, I think being cast in [italic]The Hunger Games[/italic] will mean that she will be appearing in a lot of films. I heard that she may be appearing in the [italic]Glass Castle[/italic]. Ugh. I was hoping for someone different.

by Anonymousreply 12310/30/2014

Quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

I agree with R1,2&3.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

I like everyone and everything and agree with r1 thru infinity on all threads everywhere past and present.

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

she's the anti-Kristin Stewart (who is the most UNlikeable actor working today)

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2013

She did that actresses roundtable recently. JL and Anne Hathaway whined the most about the paparazzi, I thought they were equally repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

She is talented and comes across like a normal person not completely up her own ass. That makes her a likeable actor.

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

Bah....give me Saorise Ronan (The Lovely Bones, Hanna) any day.

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2013

Eh, she's a good actress who doesn't act like making movies is saving the world. I like her.

She reminds me of a less talented Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2013

I will tell you who is instantly unlikeable fat facer Tiffani Amber Thiessen.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

I didn't find her instantly unlikeable, but neither did I like her a whole lot in that movie with Bradley Cooper, which I ditched after half an hour.

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2013

[quote]She reminds me of a less talented Meryl Streep.

She's 22 years old. She was nominated for one Best Actress Oscar and won another.

Meryl was 30 when she won her first Supporting Actress Oscar, having been nominated for the same award the year before.

Give her time. Jennifer Lawrence could be one of the greats.

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2013

R1 has interviewed every single person about this.

She was highly obnoxious at the Golden Globes, but she seems to have mellowed greatly.

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

OP = Emmanuelle Riva

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2013

I don't find her unlikeable. I just don't find her interesting. At all. Not even a tiny bit.

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2013

OP, you would have gotten some agreement if you'd asked if anyone finds her instantly lickable?

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2013

She seems a little white trashy. She's not prim and cultured like AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2013

Actually, I've had exactly the opposite reaction to Lawrence, OP.

She's one of the very few young actors I like.

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2013

I really like her. She needs time to mature, but I think she will.

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2013

I just cannot get interested in her, and I can see where OP would dislike her, because everyone is certainly trying to make her into the next America's Greatest Actress. It gets irritating after a while, because she's pretty and bland and not as terrific as a host of other actresses who never got their due.

by Anonymousreply 2105/08/2013

No it's just you. I hate when people do "am I the only one who..." type threads. No of course you aren't. Except in this case. :)

[quote]She did that actresses roundtable recently. JL and Anne Hathaway whined the most about the paparazzi, I thought they were equally repulsive.

JLaw was not on the roundtable, despite being the favourite. You're thinking Amy Adams. If you mean the Hollywood Reporter Oscars one.

by Anonymousreply 2205/08/2013

She looks exactly like my niece

by Anonymousreply 2305/08/2013

This is the problem with winning an Oscar young...everyone likes you and then after an Oscar they go wait a minute she's not all that. Better to go the Jessica Tandy/Morgan Freeman route.

by Anonymousreply 2405/08/2013

I didn't like her initially, but she is very self-deprecating and real. It's clear that she's not going to get swept up in all the hype.

by Anonymousreply 2505/08/2013

Another miserable gay thread.

by Anonymousreply 2605/08/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is the next Meryl Streep or Jessica Lange...it's quite evident. Also, she supports her gays, so that's an added plus!

by Anonymousreply 2705/08/2013

She reminds me more of Jodie Foster than Streep.

by Anonymousreply 2805/08/2013

I think that as an actress, and as a person really, that Lawrence is much less inhibited than Foster. Crazy and sexy are two things that Lawrence can do very well, but that Foster, God love her, just can't do.

Jodie Foster is cold. Jennifer Lawrence is hot. They're both great, but I think they're really on opposit ends of the spectrum when it comes to acting.

by Anonymousreply 2905/09/2013

Nope she is plastic, check implants botox, nose job vacant stare no there there next up a set of gigantic fake tits.

by Anonymousreply 3005/09/2013

I like Jennifer lawrence so far.

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2013

Her Oscar speech was one of the best. It was nonchalant but not listless a la Portman and Jennifer Connelley.

I just loved her attitude, even some of the best speeches like Bullock they well up - not a bad thing of course, but I'm impressed by the composed ones like Meryl's first two. She tripped on her way to the stage (a BIG deal) but shrugged it off. She also looked elated when she walked off.

On another note I was watching Revenge and noticed she has a doppelganger in Emily Vancamp.

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2013

No, I find her pretty likeable. She's talented and goofy.

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2013

She should do a madcap comedy. I could see her doing a Streisand in What's Up Doc type role based on her falling on stage and the quick reply she made regarding it.

Plus I thought it was quite funny when backstage a reporter asked her if she was worried about her career peaking too soon and she said "Well NOW I am!! Jesh!!"

by Anonymousreply 3405/09/2013

I'm neutral at this point. She wasn't what I expected physically in Hunger Games (I expected an emaciated body, with darker skin, looking more indigenous American). I don't have a problem with her, but am not in awe either. I haven't watched any award shows, but look at the pics / read the articles sometimes. Still neutral.

by Anonymousreply 3505/09/2013

Watch Winters Bone to see how good she is.

by Anonymousreply 3605/09/2013

Dumb thread. Of all the talentless, famous-for-no-reason skanks in that age range, you pick on the strong young actress who shined in Winter's Bone and impressed enough people in Silver Linings to win an Oscar? OP - you're kind of lame.

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2013

I find her unlikable - overrated, mediocre, charmless, plain, undeserving, average. Her popularity is probably in part due to anti-intellectualism in America today. I can't see anything special beneath her hype, she comes across as more of a TV actress than a movie star.

Despite her insincerity, I prefer AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2013

Yes, and she's overexposed.

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2013

Overexposed? She seems to live a pretty subdued private life.

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2013

[quote]Overexposed? She seems to live a pretty subdued private life.

I think R39 meant by the media.

Constance McCashin lives a subdued private life. Lawrence is always going to events and alerting the press. Just the other night she went to the Met Ball. Constance however, was toasting a bagel for herself.

by Anonymousreply 4105/09/2013

[quote]she's the anti-Kristin Stewart (who is the most UNlikeable actor working today)

Fuck off, Rob!

by Anonymousreply 4205/09/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2013

I don't like her either, OP. I'm very unimpressed with young people who have no manners and think that it's cute. I'm also not impressed by people who have not had to pay any dues on their way up the career ladder or who brag about never taking acting classes.

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2013

There's something about her I don't like either. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about her is fake.

by Anonymousreply 4505/09/2013

[quote]I don't like her either, OP. I'm very unimpressed with young people who have no manners and think that it's cute. I'm also not impressed by people who have not had to pay any dues on their way up the career ladder or who brag about never taking acting classes.

Yes.

[quote]There's something about her I don't like either. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about her is fake.

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 4605/09/2013

Fabulous

by Anonymousreply 4705/10/2013

I did like her but not so much anymore. Undeserved Oscar and lots of overexposure has cemented my feeling.

by Anonymousreply 4805/10/2013

Back off bitches, she's ours!

by Anonymousreply 4905/10/2013

I don't think anyone was fighting for her r49

by Anonymousreply 5005/10/2013

Just a typical American: no style, no grace.

by Anonymousreply 5105/10/2013

NONE of you queens know whether she's likeable or not, because none of you actually KNOW her.

She's overpraised and overrated. All the fawning over her seems really stupid. And she didn't deserve the Oscar; Emmanuelle Riva did. But she's the current young Hollywood "It" girl, so she ended up winning it.

I'd say her success is due to luck more than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 5205/10/2013

r49 the only people posting here who love her ARE lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 5405/10/2013

r53 = college kid, thinks she knows everything

by Anonymousreply 5505/10/2013

I love the picture posted here of her up at 5 in the morning for her first Oscar nomination.

Nicholas Hoult was with her, I kinda thought he was gay before but that was a while back before we even knew they were dating. I'd have been jealous if I were him, he was quite in her shadow.

by Anonymousreply 5605/10/2013

They were a really good looking couple.

by Anonymousreply 5705/10/2013

[quote]she's the anti-Kristin Stewart (who is the most UNlikeable actor working today)

Lawrence has essentially snatched Kristen's career and ran with it. And that is a very good thing.

by Anonymousreply 5805/11/2013

Jennifer isn't thriving at the expense of Kristen.

by Anonymousreply 5905/11/2013

The Hunger Games is the coolest franchise. Can't wait for the next one.

by Anonymousreply 6005/11/2013

[quote]Jennifer isn't thriving at the expense of Kristen.

As the go to actress for prestige indies and big franchise films, she most definitely is the one top. Kristen Stewart could only wish for any of those parts.

by Anonymousreply 6105/11/2013

Why are Jennifer fans so obsessed with Kristen? Who gives a fuck about her?

Both are overrated and I can't wait till both are gone. One for not acting as good as the chances she gets and the other for an undeserved Oscar and pure hype. I'm more sickened with the undeserved Oscar, if I had to choose.

by Anonymousreply 6205/11/2013

R61 - Yes, Jennifer is getting the great roles and the buzz, but she's not getting them at Kristen's expense.

by Anonymousreply 6305/11/2013

Jennifer plays women. Kristin plays the emo Twilight girl and that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 6405/11/2013

My thoughts:

[quote]I did like her but not so much anymore. Undeserved Oscar and lots of overexposure has cemented my feeling.

In a few years I imagine she'll become the next Paltrow (Oscar bought for her, undeserved, only got it for her image) and generally disliked by the public. I get a phony feeling from her. I imagine she's nasty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6505/11/2013

R65 - She's not like Goop. Goop is Hollywood royalty, Jennifer is a kid from Kentucky. Goop is full of pretense. Jennifer is lacking in pretense.

by Anonymousreply 6605/11/2013

Plenty of pretensions celebrities come from humble beginnings, R66. But I was referring to how Paltrow's Oscar win is now widely regarded as a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 6705/11/2013

R67 - Jennifer deserved an Oscar for Winter's Bone.

by Anonymousreply 6805/11/2013

R65 is one of those bitter people that predict someone's future and presently hates them for it. It's a very weird thing you see all the time.

by Anonymousreply 6905/11/2013

I haven't seen "Winter's Bone" so I couldn't offer an opinion. I did see "Silver Linings Playbook" and she shouldn't have won for that. If that was really the best performance by a female in a leading role all year, I should just give up watching new movies.

by Anonymousreply 7005/11/2013

She was excellent in Winter's Bone, R70. I watched a little more than half of Silver Lining Playbook but I didn't like what I saw. Even so, she wasn't the worst thing about SLP.

by Anonymousreply 7105/11/2013

R70 - Go watch Winter's Bone. She is so good in it.

by Anonymousreply 7205/11/2013

I mean, sort of, but it's not necessarily her fault. She reminds me of various school acquaintances and semi-friends named Amanda that I've had over the years.

by Anonymousreply 7405/11/2013

Is this it, R73?:

by Anonymousreply 7505/11/2013

R73 - I like Kristen, but she isn't in the same league as Jennifer.

by Anonymousreply 7605/11/2013

What happened to the Oscars?:

by Anonymousreply 7705/11/2013

Much better in Winter's Bone than SLP which I really liked as a film but was not blown away by the acting. She's very different in WB, SLP is similar to her real life persona.

I think Portman was her competition first time round and I love Black Swan but it was more about the role than the performance.

Gwyneth did have some things that built up to her win, like Emma I suppose and, of course, Seven. But that has to rank as one of the least deserved ever, the weakest of the nominees. Her It Girl status and recent performances were more relevant than what she did in SIL, which deserves scorn for Affleck alone. You can see Harvey get up as she takes to the stage or something.

by Anonymousreply 7805/11/2013

I thought she seemed sweet and geniune at the academy awards.She's a great actress and she was sexy in Silver Linings Playbook even if the story was predictiable and old hat.She was the best thing in it.I'd love to make love to oher. I wonder if she can sing.She claims she has two left feet but they were both ppretty skilled not tomentiompretty feet to me.I'd like to see her barefoot.

by Anonymousreply 7905/11/2013

I have loved her ever since I first saw Winter's Bone. I don't think she deserved the oscar for Silver Linings Playbook, although I though she was good in it, but that's beside the point. I see nothing at all unlikable about her.

by Anonymousreply 8005/11/2013

r7, I watched this past actress roundtable and Lawrence wasn't in it.

by Anonymousreply 8105/11/2013

I became a huge fan of hers after Winter's Bone and loved her in The Hunger Games as well, but once Silver Linings Playbook and the fucking mountains of hype came along I kind of started to lose interest. I don't really blame her for it, either. I just don't understand why Hollywood has to be so god damn hell bent on overexposing the shit out of certain actors. It's nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 8205/11/2013

I thought everything about The Hunger Games was terrible (starting with the book), so I won't judge her for that. She did enough with the character.

She was amazing in Winter's Bone. My second favorite performance that year after Natalie Portman.

But for me she was completely miscast in Silver Linings Playbook. I don't think I would have liked the film either way (the whole thing felt so oddly disjointed and hollow to me), but she's far too young to make me believe that character.

by Anonymousreply 8305/11/2013

This is shallow, but Jennifer Lawrence is NOT pretty. I think that her face is plain. As such, it's annoying when the media and fans hype her as "gorgeous".

by Anonymousreply 8406/09/2013

She will be everywhere in the next 3 years and then everybody will be so bored and tired of her. She has an interesting face with the right make up and lighting, but she has no charisma and very little talent.

by Anonymousreply 8506/09/2013

I think she'll be the next Gwyneth Paltrow. She has very little talent, no charisma. Plus, she's dimwitted.

by Anonymousreply 8606/09/2013

I find her completely fake. I think mostly white girls like her because they find that behavior normal.

by Anonymousreply 8712/23/2013

OP, I have a feeling that it is most of the world that finds YOU instantly unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 8812/23/2013

Of course, some of you losers find her fake. She's one of the few that have not been carved up and re-packaged with fake body parts. She's got a real body, not skinny starved, and a decent attitude. She's self deprecating. She's not hopped up or temperamental at work. She shows up and does her job.

by Anonymousreply 8912/23/2013

Love her. DL pretty much hates all young actresses, unless they're completely devoid of sex appeal, so this thread is no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 9012/23/2013

She's likable and talented and attractive. That said I hope she doesn't go the "earnest reformer" route, that grows old and annoying really quick. She should take a look at the reasons people find Hathaway so annoying.

JL was interviewed and in some way or another she went on about making the word fat illegal (I just saw a preview, not certain exactly) and I thought oh no this is a slippery slope. I'm certain there is truth to what she is saying but people get annoyed when they are told how to think by anyone, much less someone who was a kid three or four years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9112/23/2013

I think shes genuine as any actor can be, but obviously overhyped. She's a talented actress but so many people finding her genuine and authentic seem to forget she is an actress. Like when she talks about how she's so fat and will never diet. Admirable stance, but its not really true. Shes a slim, healthy young woman who, despite what everyone thinks, DOES try and ingratiate herself to the public.

by Anonymousreply 9212/27/2013

I totally can't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 9302/24/2014

Tell me her face is not pumped full of Botox here.

by Anonymousreply 9405/16/2014

She's vaguely attractive but that's it. Doesn't have decent bone structure in her face so she'll go from 'cute' to invisible.

She's also the most annoying actress this side of AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 9505/16/2014

I loathed JL the first time I saw her, in the X-MEN movie. She ruined Mystique.

by Anonymousreply 9605/16/2014

I don't find her unlikable, but I do think she does not deserve all the hype thrown her way.

She looks ordinary (and acts like it) and her acting chops are very underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 9705/16/2014

I've seen her in exactly one thing, "The Silver Linings Playbook," in which she was okay: not bad, not great. She's not burning up my radar, not worthy of strong opinion.

by Anonymousreply 9805/16/2014

Maybe it's the ex-cheerleader syndrome that people are picking up on.

by Anonymousreply 9905/16/2014

R84 She's attractive in an everyday sense, but she's no real beauty. And she has a puffy face, like Renee Zellweger.

by Anonymousreply 10005/16/2014

You could find a dozen girls as "pretty" as her in most American high schools.

by Anonymousreply 10105/16/2014

She frequently acts like an ass, and that is NOT "likeable." She went on a talk show and talked about shitting in her pants. She trips not infrequently; I guess that's because she's drunk a lot. Recently she was photographed with her middle finger in the air (again). Seems she was miffed at some photographers; her "boyfriend (isn't she a closeted lesbian?)" had a hand on her wrist in an attempt to restrain her. Likeable? HAH!

She's not THAT talented. She gets miscast a lot but critics swoon over her anyway. She's the latest Hollywood "it" girl. And that most certainly is going to be temporary.

She has a round, plain face. With makeup she can look glamorous. But her looks are nothing special.

She's one of the most overpraised actresses I've ever heard of.

by Anonymousreply 10205/16/2014

She was good in Winter's Bone I guess, but she was irritating in Silver Linings and I wanted to see her get throttled in American Hustle. Haven't seen Hunger Games.

by Anonymousreply 10305/16/2014

DL always, always has a problem with any actress who isn't yet menopausal.

by Anonymousreply 10405/16/2014

And I was so glad she didn't win the Oscar this year for that performance.

by Anonymousreply 10505/16/2014

I find her likable but agree that she is currently overexposed. I am not sure yet if she will still be a big star when she is 30. She could end up more like Carrie Fisher than Meryl Streep. I need to see more of her work where it's not a franchise film or a David O. Russell film, but at the current disposal rate for actresses, she may be over in 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 10605/16/2014

Carrie Fisher was never really a star in her own right, she was just Princess Leia.

by Anonymousreply 10705/16/2014

Fuck Jennifer Lawrence and Fuck you too

by Anonymousreply 10805/16/2014

I feel that this is actually very subjective. I find John Lennon and Yoko Ono instantly unlikeable while millions others don't. As an example.

by Anonymousreply 10905/16/2014

I find her completely uninteresting. Sick of her being everywhere as well.

by Anonymousreply 11005/16/2014

Yes

by Anonymousreply 11105/16/2014

"I find John Lennon and Yoko Ono instantly unlikeable while millions others don't."

Until John Lennon was shot, Yoko Ono was hated by just about everybody. John was a beloved Beatle (except for "we're more popular than Jesus" business) until he hooked up with Yoko. After that, a lot of people disliked him, too. He was acting so crazy; it turned off a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 11205/16/2014

Is it true she has a drinking problem and her boyfriend can barely stand to be in the limelight because it's like living in a fish bowl? I can take her and I think she needs to step down.

by Anonymousreply 11305/17/2014

It's funny to see the difference in the 2013 posters talking about how great she is and the 2014 posters who hate her. I'd say her collapse is complete but she appeals to the flyover fraus so she'll probably be around for a few more years.

by Anonymousreply 11405/17/2014

Is she "special" or just really dumb?

[quote]Jennifer had revealed that when she first met Gravity director Alfonso Cuarón she started screaming and approached him saying: 'I broke out my rape scream for you!'

by Anonymousreply 11505/21/2014

She's on Seth Meyers and wasted. Did anyone catch her saying that she went to Madonna AND GUY's Oscar after party?

by Anonymousreply 11605/22/2014

So not only is she a trailer whore, she's an ignorant bitch, too!!!

by Anonymousreply 11710/30/2014

[quote]Dumb thread. Of all the talentless, famous-for-no-reason skanks in that age range, you pick on the strong young actress who shined in Winter's Bone and impressed enough people in Silver Linings to win an Oscar? OP - you're kind of lame.

[quote]Overexposed? She seems to live a pretty subdued private life.

Aha!

[quote]OP, I have a feeling that it is most of the world that finds YOU instantly unlikeable.

[quote]Love her. DL pretty much hates all young actresses, unless they're completely devoid of sex appeal, so this thread is no surprise.

Love this thread. It's pure Karma

She is the epitome of boring.

by Anonymousreply 11810/30/2014

The op is an asshole. Watch her first movie she was nominated for, Winter Bones.

by Anonymousreply 12010/30/2014

I can't stand Yoko and never could...she was always a gold digger, nothing more. That is her only talent, she has nothing else. John only liked her because she was his heroin connection.

by Anonymousreply 12110/30/2014

JLaw lost me with rude behavior and cum on her face.

by Anonymousreply 12210/30/2014

I liked her until recently. She has become too whiney. The other day she had an umbrella in front of her face that had a picture of a hand shooting the finger. I can't stand celebrities shooting the finger at people taking their picture. If you don't want to be a star move on. And while I realize it is her choice to decide when the public sees her undressed, doing a photo shoot with your boobs hanging out while whining about privacy was just a bad move. One of the reasons people initially liked her was that she wasn't whiney and affected by it all. Now one gets the feeling she is blaming all of us for her lack of privacy.

by Anonymousreply 12310/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.