Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Real life responses to Jason Collins coming out

Forget about the celebrity tweets or nasty anonymous comments on message boards. Forget about the media. What are people saying in real life? That's the best gauge of what people think.

What are the people at the sports bars saying? What are people at the gym saying? What are the people at your work saying?

by Anonymousreply 3005/10/2013

What are people saying right now? Nothing. Its already old news.

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

I haven't heard anything personally, but I imagine it's a lot of the same clueless straight comments:

"I don't know why they feel the need to announce this."

"Why does this matter? Does this make any difference in how he plays basketball."

"I think things like this should remain private. It's nobody's business what he does in his bedroom."

It's like people can't get past the "bedroom business" aspect to acknowledge that the subject goes beyond that, especially in regards to how many young high school/college athletes may now look up to this man and feel a bit stronger within themselves. It may sound trite, but it's true. When well-known, successful people come out, there are always people who will find inspiration in that, to say, "He is out and playing professional basketball, maybe I can be more comfortable with who I am and strive for that goal as well."

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

Nobody seems to think it is a big deal, which is a good thing. If people were shocked, mortified, pissed off, it would be an issue. I think it speaks volumes that everyone seems to have a so what attitude.

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

Most people are supportive.

Certainly anyone who matters.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

Thank you, R2. You said it best...it matters, because Jason Collins has made it that much easier for some kid who is struggling with being gay and a strong desire to excel in whatever avocation he's good at. On Sunday, I listened as Martina Navratilova commented on the importance of Collins' coming out. She said that comments such as , "I don't care." can also be homophobic. I remember how one brother responded with that after telling him I was gay. It bothered me that he didn't articulate empathy.

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

No one at work said anything. And none of my friends said anything either. I'm in CA though.

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2013

I and nobody I know cares about sports, so I haven't heard anyone comment on it.

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

Who is Jason Collins?

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

R7 = insipid.

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2013

insipid

adj. 1. without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities

That describes a lot of sports fans.

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2013

[quote]I remember how one brother responded with that after telling him I was gay. It bothered me that he didn't articulate empathy.

Empathy for what? It's not an affliction - don't make it into one.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

Damn. I almost forgot about it.

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2013

Mostly it describes you, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2013

My, someone is touchy. Well, if the shoe fits...

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

Wear it with pride, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2013

Girls, girls, you are both insipid

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2013

Straight men are saying nothing negative about his being gay(good thing), but the prevailing thought among sports addicts is that he pulled the stunt as he was finding himself without a job. Now, some team will pick him up for the publicity and to prove the NBA is not homophobic. I believe the commissioner is behind the latter premise. He'll be earning next to nothing, but I don't think that is of any concern for him. He wants to play another year, because all athletes cannot bear to hang up the old jockstrap.

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2013

Prior to a couple of weeks ago, no one outside of die hard NBA fans could tell you who the guy was. Now if RGIII for the Washington Redskins came out, now that would tell how people REALLY felt about gay sports stars...

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2013

Yes, R11, being gay is not an affliction. By empathy I mean an understanding of the struggle many of us experience growing up gay in a homophobic society.

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2013

As Ben Shapiro so movingly attests, no one except Jews have suffered throughout history, so Jason Collins should STFU.

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2013

The men in my steamroom seemed to be really supportive of him.

by Anonymousreply 2105/09/2013

Not hearing any responses. It's a non-event to most people. The attitude seems to be: Another gay came out? Yawn!

by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2013

[quote]I haven't heard anything personally, but I imagine it's a lot of the same clueless straight comments:

So you don't actually know what people are saying.

by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2013

[quote]Nearly seven in 10 Americans support the decision by professional basketball player Jason Collins to disclose publicly that he’s gay, the survey finds.

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2013

Right, if RGIII came out it would be news. I don't think he's gay though, black sports people think he's Repub like Deion Sanders (another black Repub)

by Anonymousreply 2505/09/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2605/09/2013

I hope that Jason Collins realizes that he owes a lot of where he is and his acceptance to superstars like me who paved the way for gay to be acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2013

[quote] Most people at work lose interest when they find out he's black. Not sure why. I've heard a couple people say something to the effect of "get back to me when a Tom Brady" or another white athlete comes out.

In terms of athletic achievement, Jason Collins is no Tom Brady!

So are they actually saying 'white' or are they giving examples of athletes who are far better known and far higher achieving than Jason Collins?

by Anonymousreply 2805/09/2013

Not racial. I've heard the same thing, "call me when Kobe comes out".

by Anonymousreply 2905/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.