Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why was Barbra Streisand cast in Funny Girl?

Why not Liza Minnelli, or Leslie Uggams, or Sandy Duncan, or Michele Lee, or Bernadette Peters, or Ann Reinking, or Madeline Kahn?

Seriously, Barbra Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 6005/09/2013

there is a whole book detailing her casting...read it!

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

She was armed. Would you fuck with Streisand with a gun?

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

Because Liza is a talentless old cunt

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

Because she was Barbra fucking Streisand !

Have you ever seen her early CBS specials?

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

Because Gary Morton advised Lucy not to accept the role.

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2013

OP, you have to understand, it was Helen Keller's first time producing a movie!

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

It's the naive troll, folks. Don't feed it.

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

Honestly, why was she cast in anything. She has a face made for radio.

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2013

[quote]She has a face made for radio.

So did Fanny Brice who was, in fact, a huge radio star.

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2013

Ryan o'neal don Johnson the prime minister of Canada James brolin that tennis guy before he lost his hair

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

Scrambled Eggs, Apricots, Aubergines before they became eggplants and bread pudding

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2013

Same reason she got Dolly; On A Clear Day: The Voice. To sell soundtracks.

It should have been one-time understudy Lainie Kazan.

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2013

Because they didn't want the show to close after one night.

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

[quote]Why not Liza Minnelli, or Leslie Uggams, or Sandy Duncan, or Michele Lee, or Bernadette Peters, or Ann Reinking, or Madeline Kahn?

Because none of them would have been even remotely convincing speaking lines such as these?

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls"

"If ya wanna sit around and schmooze..."

"I'm private Schvartz from Rockavay and I guess you've hoid reports"

"Oy, what a day I had today!"

Carol Burnett, when she turned down the role on Broadway, told Ray Stark and Jule Styne that they needed a Jewish actress or at least someone with a prominent nose to play the part.

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2013

Because Bette Midler was too young.

by Anonymousreply 1605/09/2013

I was in 9th grade you bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2013

Because I was in grade school,dears...

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2013

Funny Girl would have been better as a cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 2005/09/2013

I wasn't born for another 20 years!

by Anonymousreply 2105/09/2013

OP, you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2013

I share your sentiments, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2013

Because has more talent in her pinky than any you mention, and in manner and looks was very close to Fanny Brice.

Jule Stein brought Ray Stark to see her in a NY club and neither ever seriously considered anyone else.

Now, OP, I think you are a troll.

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2013

I thought Eydie Gorme was under consideration at one point. She would've been pretty good!

by Anonymousreply 2505/09/2013

Shirley Maclaine would have been better as Fanny Brice than Babs

by Anonymousreply 2605/09/2013

Sure, would love to hear Shirley trill "I'd Rather be Blue, or deliver "Don't Rain on My Parade, or People or Greatest Star or My Man.

Idiots and trolls on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2013

Maclaine barely made it through the cut-down score of the filmed "Sweet Charity." Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 2805/09/2013

R27 R28 you do know that every major studio turned down Funny Girl, unless Maclaine was in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 2905/09/2013

R29 That explains why a film version was never made.

by Anonymousreply 3005/09/2013

So what, r29? I fail to see how that means she was up to singing the score, even in a studio. That people were willing to make a bad decision based upon presumed box-office familiarity says nothing about whether she was up to the task.

Talk about missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2013

R31 so did Julie Andrews get the shaft over My Fair Lady?

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2013

Maybe because she was the best fit for the role, and ended up giving a iconic, star-making performance?

And maybe Leslie Uggams wasn't cast because casting an African-American as a famous Jewish performer would have been bizarre?

Also, none of the other performers you mentioned were Jewish, and Fanny Brice was. Streisand was clearly a far better choice than any of the other performers you mentioned. Why are you trolling us about this?

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2013

Maclaine scored in Two for a Seasaw and would have brought that kookiness to Fanny Brice.

A much better fit, from Gittel to Fanny.

by Anonymousreply 3405/09/2013

Funny Girl was not called "Beautiful Girl." People related to the story of someone with less than perfect WASP looks using her other gifts of smarts, persistence, sense of humor, etc to make it in showbiz (or elsewhere.) Now shall we list the male actors who had more talent than looks who also got somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 3505/09/2013

I have a feeling you guys are young. This is all ancient history to you and you do not know much about the 60s.

Streisand created a sensation with Funny Girl on B'way- and also on TV, concerts, and records. She was a bit of a phenomenon. A mistake was made not casting Julie Andrews in Fair Lady earlier, but she was not the sensation Streisand was.

No one seriously considered for long anyone but her in the movie version.

McClaine knew this well. She is on record as saying when she first saw Streisand perform in LA long before Funny Girl that she was seeing one of the biggest stars ever in show business. She said that Streisand was destined to become one of the "greats".

by Anonymousreply 3605/09/2013

Fine, r32, you win. Whatever point it is that you're now arguing--you win, you relentless bore.

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2013

[quote] someone with less than perfect WASP looks using her other gifts of smarts, persistence, sense of humor, etc to make it in showbiz

Sounds like Shirley Maclaine's life story.

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2013

[quote] not casting Julie Andrews in Fair Lady earlier, but she was not the sensation Streisand was.

I'm sure Julie would be thrilled to hear this statement.

[quote] No one seriously considered for long anyone but her in the movie version.

All the studio heads disagreed at the time, insisting Shirley Maclaine be cast.

[quote] Whatever point it is that you're now arguing--you win

So you seriously prefer Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady OVER Julie Andrews?

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2013

Why are people still arguing about Shirley MacLaine? She would have sounded like crap on the score. THREAD CLOSED!

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2013

[quote] She would have sounded like crap on the score.

So that didn't stop Audrey Hepburn from accepting the role in My Fair Lady.

Marni Nixon was available to dub on Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 4105/09/2013

R39, (the McClaine statement) is simply not true- where do you get that information?

by Anonymousreply 4205/09/2013

[quote]So you seriously prefer Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady OVER Julie Andrews?

You are seriously either AlanScott or the Hall Monitor from the Game of Thrones thread. Or both.

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2013

[quote]Marni Nixon was available to dub on Funny Girl.

Okay, enough now. It was a valiant try, but some people just have a chemical imbalance and NEED the pills. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2013

R43 if you preferred Audrey over Julie as Eliza there is nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 4505/09/2013

Now you guys are attacking Marni Nixon?

All she did was accept a job.

by Anonymousreply 4605/09/2013

[quote]Marni Nixon? All she did was accept a job.

Sang Copland's Dickenson songs nicely, too.

by Anonymousreply 4705/09/2013

I thought I read somewhere that it was part of her contract, in order to get her to do the stage show, she would also get to do the movie.

by Anonymousreply 4805/09/2013

[quote] Sang Copland's Dickenson songs nicely, too.

Imagine what she could have done with Jules Styne score.

by Anonymousreply 4905/09/2013

R48 no it wasn't. The contract only said she would be 'considered'.

That way Ray Stark could keep Babs in line by threatening not to give her the part.

Babs had a contract with Stark to do four movies for him. Nowhere in the contract did it say 'Funny Girl' would be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 5005/09/2013

[quote]Imagine what she could have done with Jules Styne score.

I had to wrestle that bitch to the floor over Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 5105/09/2013

OP must be a troll, because otherwise this is a colossally stupid post. Ann Bancroft was originally cast, after Carol Burnett had turned it down because Carol wisely realized you needed to be Jewish to play the part effectively. In the meantime, Jule Styne saw Barbra in 'Wholesale' and heard her sing in the Bon Soir and started dragging the people involved in the production to her shows. He also started writing the score with her voice in his head. After he wrote "People", Bancroft walked. She had been promised a show that was heavy on drama and light on music, and music that was easy to sing as she is no singer. After hearing the songs, she said 'I can't sing this" and hightailed it out of there before making a monumental fool of herself screeching songs that were written for someone else. Barbra was duly brought in, and the rest is history. She created a sensation, re-created the role on film and became a superstar.

As for your original post, OP, you simply must be a troll or one of the most ignorant people alive. Leslie Uggams playing Fanny Brice? Yes, that would have been great. About like Bette Midler playing the governess in 'The King and I" or Bernadette Peters playing Effie in 'Dreamgirls".

by Anonymousreply 5205/09/2013

[quote]like Bette Midler playing the governess in 'The King and I"

GENIUS

by Anonymousreply 5305/09/2013

[quote] Leslie Uggams playing Fanny Brice? Yes, that would have been great.

Everyone knows that you put the actor of color in a SUPPORTING role that was conceived for a white actor. That way the company and the audience can congratulate themselves for being "color blind" without having to imagine a leading man and woman of different races ending up as lovers.

by Anonymousreply 5405/09/2013

God you are all IDIOTS - It was because she had an amazing voice, was great on stage ( had proven herself in " I Can Get It For You Wholesale"), was already selling lots of albums, on her own - as someone else mentioned here, she could SELL the cast album, and was a big, up, and coming star. It's not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 5505/09/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5605/09/2013

r12? r11 listed some of Barbra's men, for those here who think she was/is unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2013

Who should have been cast as Nicky Arnstein?

by Anonymousreply 5805/09/2013

She had an amazing singing voice and was hugely popular in the 1960s. The film of Funny Girl wasn't very good outside of her performance. I don't think the film has aged well, but at the time it was WOW!

"Jule Stein brought Ray Stark to see her in a NY club and neither ever seriously considered anyone else."

Not true. Ray Stark and his wife, Fannie Brice's daughter, HATED Streisand because she was such a dog. Really, before she was cleaned up, Babs was a pimple-face meeskite. A real FUG.

by Anonymousreply 5905/09/2013

How did she clean up? A blonde rinse and a perm?

by Anonymousreply 6005/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.