Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do people care about god or heaven?

I don't give a shit about either of them. Why do you think people are so obsessed with these subjects? I don't care if there's an afterlife. I don't care if there's some guy looking down on me. What's the obsession? The people who are so into this are always people who run on fear. There's also a load of narcissism in play as well. Humans need to believe that they're the center of the universe, and can't comprehend the very idea that once they're dead, that's it.

There's a lot of unhappy people in the world. They probably need to feel that there's something better for them eventually, and heaven will be it. Then there's the dead friends and relatives thing (no pets).

Still, none of this interests me. Even if I was poor, living on the streets, and/or had my closet friends and family all died on me, I still wouldn't hold out for an afterlife. Hey, if there's one, that's nice. I don't care if there is one or not though.

I guess I'm just laid back. I live my life. Why should I worry?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way. I can't be the only one who feels settled, and won't go to pieces at the very notion that there's nothing else beyond our realm.

One other thing, for all these people so into god, how do you reconcile people starving and dying in Africa? Does god only care about Westerners? People of the West are always praying, proclaiming every to be a miracle, god's intervention when they find some missing white girl.

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2013

Because they're ignorant, mindless sheep.

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? Epucurious sums it up.

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

The idea of god gives them rules to live by, a protector in the sky to keep them from trouble, a protector in the sky who makes it all okay when bad things happen because he is great and mighty and works in mysterious ways, is the bestest daddy of all time, and makes death something other than the end of life - the beginning of forever!

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

I'm with you OP, and think you have it exactly right.

People who need a god are the weakest people of all.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

It's getting slowly better. Our (USA) percentage of atheists has caught up to Saudi Arabia!!

"poll by] WIN-Gallup International has two big findings:

First, the United States has gone from being 1% godless in 2005 to 5% in 2012. (The percentage of people simply calling themselves non-religious is 30%, significantly higher than ever before.)

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

R6 is so fucking retarded. Seriously, how do you go through life spouting such bullshit with a straight face?

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

Fear of death.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

Oh, there is nothing of the narcissist in your post, OP. (a snort of derision cause an eye roll just won't do) Why did you feel the need to start a thread detailing why YOU don't believe in an afterlife when there is already a thread on the subject? Afraid no one would notice you in that vast sea of public opinion?

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2013

I'm sobbing R2 , that was beautiful!...

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2013

It makes it so in the end everything turns out fine. If you do horrible things, but repent, you don't have to feel like a bad person. If a bad person gets away with things and then dies, you can rest assured they will be punished after death instead. Plus you get to feel like a better person just for believing in a god. For people with no moral compass, it provides rules to follow.

It basically eliminates death and evil, the scariest things.

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

[quote]It basically eliminates death and evil, the scariest things.

Except, of course, that it doesn't do that at all.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2013

I am as turned off by organized religion as anyone. But I am also turned off by these intolerant screeds against people's religious and spiritual beliefs. Live and let live.

As I get older I have fewer answers to what I consider important questions about life. I think a little humility and kindness toward our fellow man goes a long way toward preventing the kinds of conflicts that are set up by the very nature of post's like the OPs as well as all these family organizations and politicians who spout off all manner of religious entitlements.

You don't like it when an X'tian tells you have to live and how to vote- so don't tell someone who derrives comfort from their spiritual beliefs what they should and should not do. Fact is OP- human interest in all things spiritual goes as far back as the fossil record of our species. Just live with it- probably is not going away any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2013

In the United States, spiritual beliefs are held in higher regard than civil rights. Religion is an untouchable subject that influences our culture and laws, but people will openly discuss the morality and bedroom activities of others. Doesn't that seem like bullshit to anyone?

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2013

But only fake spiritual beliefs R17. America is the most secular country on earth when it comes to people actually believing in God. It's a nation of liars and poseurs, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2013

People are afraid of the unknown, so they make up stupid shit to make themselves feel better. Believing in such B.S. is a sure sign of ignorance & low intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2013

OP. why do you care what other people believe or don't believe? And why do you care if anyone else feels the way that you do?

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2013

Some people need an authority figure.

by Anonymousreply 2105/08/2013

[quote]What's it to you, OP? Why do you care? You're not going to change it, so I guess your only avenue is to castigate others who don't believe as you do. Which makes you sound exactly like the fundy freaks you despise.

Nice (and typical) try, my friend. It's called starting a conversation about something.

People get it rammed down their throats that somehow they're evil or unfeeling if they don't believe in god or heaven. Now I question the subject, and all of a sudden I'm just as bad as they are.

by Anonymousreply 2205/08/2013

[quote]OP. why do you care what other people believe or don't believe? And why do you care if anyone else feels the way that you do?

I'm just curious as to why I can be so laid back about there not being anything in the end, and others can't even comprehend the very idea.

by Anonymousreply 2305/08/2013

I think it's hard to comprehend how stupid most people are, OP. P T Barnum was right, it is IMPOSSIBLE to underestimate the American public.

The school system is dysfunctional and archaic, religiosity is rampant and crammed into these mental midgets' brains from infancy, if they even question what they're told, they risk being kicked out of the family and their entire social structure.

Even if they did have any crumbs of doubt (unlikely considering how stupid most of them are), they wouldn't dare go very far down that road or they'd be ostracized, unless they kept it in the closet (which many of them do, but then those people wouldn't be the ones on her yammering on about the spaghetti monster.)

by Anonymousreply 2405/08/2013

"her" should have been "here" in my last sentence.

by Anonymousreply 2505/08/2013

What R19 said.

by Anonymousreply 2605/08/2013

Most of it is caused by indoctrination at a young age. My sister-in-law has a 4-year-old daughter, who she started taking to a really conservative Lutheran church last year, including having the kid at kindergarten there weekdays. The kid recites a lot of stuff about the bible and Jesus, but can't really expand upon any of it. She's basically just learning what she's told.

by Anonymousreply 2705/08/2013

OP assumes that the question is only applicable to white Christians.

by Anonymousreply 2805/08/2013

I'm a non-believer, raised as a church-goer from toddler-hood to young adult-hood. Granted, my church was Episcopalian - not one of the holy roller varieties.

Look into a little basic psychology, OP. It's not fucking rocket science, nor are you some paragon of rational, laid-back pseudo-coolness. People are afraid of death and dying. Belief in an afterlife alleviates that fear for them. It's not a big deal, nor is it difficult to fathom for any marginally intelligent person.

I'm not religious. I don't scorn or mock those who are unless they are Westboro shitstains and/or any other kind of fundie, religion-based inhumanitarian.

by Anonymousreply 2905/08/2013

R29 xxx

by Anonymousreply 3005/08/2013

r29 you have some modicum of intelligence. (Which is rare on these threads.)

A fresh breath of air from the "victims".

by Anonymousreply 3205/08/2013

The masses are asses, OP

by Anonymousreply 3305/08/2013

r34 needs professional help.

by Anonymousreply 3505/08/2013

I guess some of us are just more afraid than others. BTW, I should have put it another way: I'm not afraid if there's no afterlife. I don't pretend to know what the hell the meaning of it all is. I just don't worry about it. That's what makes me curious, why I'm fine, and others freak out about the possibility that when it's over, it's over. I wasn't trying to pull some Atheist rant.

by Anonymousreply 3605/08/2013

Thank you so very much, R37, for the information. I'm very inspired. Now, is this Jesus you mention a bottom? I'm really into the Latinos!

by Anonymousreply 4005/08/2013

FF R37

by Anonymousreply 4105/08/2013

[quote]I guess I'm just laid back. I live my life. Why should I worry?

You're not a laid back person. You're a judgmental little busy body who is calling people ignorant and stupid. For someone so "laid back," you sure do get all riled up easily. Would a "laid back" person actually pay $18 to start a thread insulting people who believe in the afterlife?

Why does it matter to you if someone believes in the afterlife? So what? If it's comforting to them to know that they will see their loved ones again in death, who does it harm.

I don't believe in the afterlife but I'm not going to ridicule people who seek comfort in the world beyond. Quite frankly, life is hard. Really hard. Some people just seek more than what is given to them in this often very cruel world.

by Anonymousreply 4205/09/2013

Because this is a predatory planet teeming with chaos and there are only glimpses of the controls we try to impose.

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.