Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mark Sanford Wins South Carolina Congressional Seat

Does this mean Anthony Weiner is going to be the next mayor of New York?

What happened? I thought it was in the bag for Colbert-Busch.

by Anonymousreply 6805/09/2013

Goddammit! Another friggin Repug. And a liar and cheater all rolled into one asshole.

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2013

I think that this is indicative of the fact that sexual scandals no longer carry much weight with the voters. Things have been trending in that direction since Big Bill rode his fiasco out with flying colors. As that old saying goes "Just don't get caught in bed with a dead woman or a live boy. Anything else can be fixed."

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2013

South Carolina: The Stupid State.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

Great, another advocate for traditional marriage: One man, one woman, one mistress in Argentina.

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

r3, ??

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

The Dems are just going to have understand that the southern states below North Carolina are lost, at least for the next 10 or more years. If democrats were smart, I know - I know, they would focus on flipping the state legislatures in those states to assist with redistricting which has created super safe republican districts.

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

Not sure I agree R9 -- certainly Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Kentucky are Red. Georgia could flip if immigration patterns continue and Hispanics vote in droves for Dems. And Florida is a purple state, turning increasingly blue on national votes. The real issue is Texas: if Texas, due to Hispanic immigration, ever flips, the blues are golden.

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2013

This country would have been far better off if we'd just have let those assholes secede.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

So is La Argentina the new First Lady of South Carolina?

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2013

South Carolina votes in presidential elections like Alabama and Mississippi. The last 100 years -- 1912 to 2012 -- were 26 elections and S.C. voted differently from Ala. and Miss. only in 1960 and 1968. In 1960, S.C. carried for John Kennedy while Ala. didn't officially carry for JFK and Miss. voted for unofficial Democratic candidate Harry Byrd. In 1968, S.C. carried for Richard Nixon while Miss. and Ala. voted for the latter's ex-governor George Wallace. All other elections resulted in the same outcome as they are listed below. ( * Means voted with the winner.)

[bold][italic]PRESIDENT: S.C., ALA., and MISS.[/italic][/bold]

* 1912: Woodrow Wilson (D-New Jersey)

* 1916: Woodrow Wilson (D-New Jersey)

1920: James Cox (D-Ohio)

1924: John Davis (D-West Virginia)

1928: Alfred Smith (D-New York)

* 1932: Franklin Roosevelt (D-New York)

1948: Strom Thurmond (SR-South Carolina)

1952: Adlai Stevenson (D-Illinois)

1956: Adlai Stevenson (D-Illinois)

1964: Barry Goldwater (R-Arizona)

* 1972: Richard Nixon (R-California)

* 1976: Jimmy Carter (D-Georgia)

* 1980: Ronald Reagan (R-California)

* 1984: Ronald Reagan (R-California)

* 1988: George Bush (R-Texas)

1992: George Bush (R-Texas)

1996: Bob Dole (R-Kansas)

* 2000: George W. Bush (R-Texas)

* 2004: George W. Bush (R-Texas)

2008: John McCain (R-Arizona)

2012: Mitt Romney (R-Massachusetts)

Democrats have to win a national blowout in order to have a feasible shot at South Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

I can't believe how truly stupid SC is.

I hate the South. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2013

[quote]I think that this is indicative of the fact that sexual scandals no longer carry much weight with the voters.

More like "It's OK if you're a Repulican."

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2013

Hypocrisy is a core Republican value.

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2013

What, impeachment wasn't enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2013

I love that R9 does not agree with himself.

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2013

I think of that often, too, R11, but then there'd still be slavery.

by Anonymousreply 2105/08/2013

They will flip if there is a populist approach...AND if we can prevent the military from stealing elections.

by Anonymousreply 2205/08/2013

Marital scandals, sex "scandals" etc don't bother me very much. But his responses to them were bizarre, and his politics are the typical Tea Party variety that are just so much bullshit. So we have another Congressman who you would make an effort to keep away from you kid because he is well, a fruitcake- like so many other Republicans in the House and Senate.

by Anonymousreply 2305/08/2013

[quote]I think that this is indicative of the fact that sexual scandals no longer carry much weight with the voters.

It's more an indication that the partisan divide is stronger than ever – SC voted against Colbert Busch more than they voted for Sanford. I've seen Republicans, especially Republican women, really excoriate him, then say they're voting for him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2405/08/2013

[quote] I've seen Republicans, especially Republican women, really excoriate him, then say they're voting for him anyway.

Stupid cunts

by Anonymousreply 2505/08/2013

[quote] I thought it was in the bag for Colbert-Busch.

In which alternate universe?

It's been known all along that a democrat didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning that seat. It's been republican since the demise of the Dixiecrats and it will stay Republucan unless thousands of northern Democrats retire there.

by Anonymousreply 2605/08/2013

R26, the polls had her way up just recently and his campaign was considered to be in "free-fall."

by Anonymousreply 2705/08/2013

Larry Flynt's endorsement really helped him!!

[quote]Flynt also commended Sanford's supporters. "They have the courage to toss aside lifelong convictions to embrace the sex pioneer of our time," he said. "They have rejected the religious teachings of their Bible-thumping preachers and tossed the false sanctity of marriage into the trashcan. Sanford’s fellow pioneers are teaching their children the invaluable lesson that traditional values are nothing more than a scam."

by Anonymousreply 2805/08/2013

Voter fraud!

by Anonymousreply 2905/08/2013

R27, that was just part of the narrative to make SC Republicans terrified of losing that seat if they didn't come out in DROVE S for Sanford.

It's like Bear Bryant always saying how strong the other team was, how they shouldn't take a Bama win for granted, etc etc etc. Even when Bama was playing Little Sisters of the Poor.

It's called lowering expectations, pointing out how your opponent can win if you don't pull out all the stops.

by Anonymousreply 3005/08/2013

Sanford played Tea Party politics, which trumped his adultery. If he had campaigned as a more moderate Republican, he wouldn't have even won the primary, and voters would have used his affair as the primary reason.

by Anonymousreply 3105/08/2013

R30, are you saying the pollsters and political reporters were manipulating the narrative in order to aid to Sanford?

by Anonymousreply 3205/08/2013

Perhaps not deliberately, R32-at least not the polling. But 2012 showed us how flawed many polling instruments were, and how many professional media types were unable to read polling data correctly. Plus, they love a good narrative, like "Disgraced Pol Makes Stunning Comeback." That's more sexy than a Colbert-Busch win would be.

I have many relatives all over SC. A good number of them follow politics. Unfortunately Sanford was never in danger of losing that seat.

If you've never spent time in SC, you have no idea how the life's been ground out of the people who would vote Democratic, how thoroughly organized labor was stamped out; especially Upcountry, which used to be a (relatively) strong base for Democratic support because of the textile mills. That's all gone.

Don't let Charleston fool you.

by Anonymousreply 3305/08/2013

Maybe they pulled buses up in front of white churches and drove them to the polling places?

by Anonymousreply 3405/08/2013

CLINTON'S PENIS

by Anonymousreply 3505/08/2013

I'd really like to visit the beaches but I refuse to spend one dime.

by Anonymousreply 3605/08/2013

I always thought the people of Mississippi and Alabama were the stupidest in the country. I guess it's time to add South Carolina as well.

by Anonymousreply 3705/08/2013

Those people in that district needed someone who would vote against Obama. That's all - they needed a Republican. If their only choice is an adulterer, they'll hold their nose and vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 3905/08/2013

As you are clearly a homo-hating Republican, R40, we have to wonder what you are doing on this board.

My guess is that you are a self-hating homo who is closeted at work and to his family, all of whom know your deep, dark secret anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4105/08/2013

[quote]So Clinton gets a pass that no one else does.

Bill Clinton wasn't getting blowjobs on the side while promoting the virtues of marriage and family and abstinence. It's not so much that Sanford fucked around, it's that he was a total hypocrite (and went AWOL for good measure).

by Anonymousreply 4405/08/2013

The Dems should've run Miss Teen South Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 4505/08/2013

[quote] In an effort to hire workers in the SC plants companies are offering better salaries than unions could negotiate.

For now.

After two years, they will lay off half their workers, hire people at half their salary and no benefits and then lay off the other half of their workers, leaving the newbies with less money, no benefits and more work.

by Anonymousreply 4605/08/2013

My guess, R42, is that you are a blooming onion, and that a blooming onion is also your main dietary staple.

by Anonymousreply 4705/08/2013

That woman is soooo hot, if she told me I was her long-lost soul mate, I'd have crawled through hot coals to get to her.

But with my track record, that probably means she's a narcissist extraordinaire.

Look for a tawdry breakup in his future.

by Anonymousreply 4805/08/2013

Regardless of this election, I have been to South Carolina before on business for 6 weeks. I've also been to every state in the country and out of all of them, South Carolina had the stupidest most ignorant people I have ever met

And I grew up in Florida

by Anonymousreply 5005/08/2013

And that is totally by design, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5105/08/2013

This was not a surprise, a red district in a red state that will take anyone with an "R" in parentheses behind their name.

by Anonymousreply 5305/09/2013

I wonder if Stephen Colbert's ego took a small hit

by Anonymousreply 5405/09/2013

I'm a nose guy - and I've been soo hot for for Sanford since his scandal began. I love his long, strong nose.

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2013

They keep saying Bill Clinton created this template but he never ran for re-election. Still, I guess it's a valid point.

by Anonymousreply 5805/09/2013

Bill Clinton never ran for re-election? Then how was he President for 8 years?

by Anonymousreply 5905/09/2013

Is Clinton parading around the ho?

Don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 6105/09/2013

Are you, R62?

by Anonymousreply 6305/09/2013

The affair is not the issue. The issue is Sanford's lies and dereliction of duty in conjunction with said lies. Clinton parsed words, but didn't actually lie. Nor was there dereliction of duty. Not to mention the hypocrisy of Sanford...

by Anonymousreply 6405/09/2013

Not to mention trespassing charges.

by Anonymousreply 6505/09/2013

It will be interesting to see if Sanford gets full of himself enough to fuck up some way again. This has to fuel the massive ego it took to lie to your constituents and take off for South America.

It would be so sublime if he does.

by Anonymousreply 6605/09/2013

That's not true R38. No plant in South Carolina pays a union level wage.

by Anonymousreply 6705/09/2013

R64 Clinton didn't lie?

[quote]Now, I have to go back to work on my State of the Union speech. And I worked on it until pretty late last night. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again: I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people. Thank you!

Of course, since he is a Dem, all is forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 6805/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.