Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The Butler" = An Instant Camp Classic

Robin Williams is Eisenhower! James Marsden is Kennedy! John Cusack is Nixon! Jane Fonda is Nancy! Oprah is... someone who is not Oprah! Yes, it looks as bad as it sounds on paper!

by Anonymousreply 12307/27/2014

Sweet Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2013

My God. I can't decide what's worse - Robin Williams as Ike or John Cusack as Tricky Dick.

This looks like an SCTV sketch. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's bad enough to be good.

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2013

I didn't think it was possible for Lee Daniels to make a film campier than "The Paperboy," but he might just have done it.

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2013

It looks ridiculous. John Cusack as Richard Nixon? Where's Ione Skye as Pat?

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2013

I should have kept my day job.

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2013

Roger Friedman is a paid shill. This is really one of the worst movie trailers that I have seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2013

Forrest Whitaker looks really odd.

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2013

like he's wearing a mask or something.

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2013

Roger Friedman also said that 'Les Mis' was "thrilling," "sensational," and "the Titanic of this year's awards season."

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2013

Alternate title: "There's a Depression On - Let's Do A Show, By God". Everyone in it watched Linoln and got jealous, hot to play dead presidents and First Ladies again. Well, except for Oprah. This is her Viola Davis gig.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

DAMN! I should have done the Monique role in Precious!!

Gayle bring me the ax!!!

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2013

The Paperboy was a piece of trash...

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2013

Alan Rickman as Ronald Reagan....

Such a great actor. Sad to see him ty[ecast as yet another wretched villain.

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

Oprah wants an Oscar. She'll slap you, wear a wig, and cry.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2013

Is this a slapstick comedy?

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2013

[quote]Please. The Tyler Perry fans may eat this up, but come on.

Because they're such big Jane Fonda and Robin Williams fans???

Oh! You mean because a black guy directed. Then yes, it's exactly like a Tyler Perry movie. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2013

Forrest Whitaker is a credit to his race, to the Negro White House butlering industry, and to victims of ocular focal-local dysplasia EVERYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2013

I swear I could see the tape on some of the make-up jobs. Is Melissa Leo playing Mamie Eisenhower?

This looks like the ultimate 'Magic Negro' film.

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2013

Actually this could be quite good. Oprah is a good actress in my opinion. She should do it more often.

Jane Fonda would be perfect as Nancy-

Williams is also a good actor when he wants to be.

I guess it is the duty of DL to trash everything though. But I always hope for good flicks and the trailer to this one is promising (if trailers can be.)

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2013

The director of The Paper Boy deserves to be thrashed...

by Anonymousreply 2105/08/2013

Actors just love this guy, and there's no real reason for it. Yes Monique won a an Oscar but that was more her talent than his. Stephen Dorff shot a hardon scene for him, though he ended up using a semi hard shot, Nicole Kidman literally spread her legs on camera for him. His directorial efforts, "Shadowboxer" and "The Paperboy" were barely released, "Precious" was headed to DVD before Tyler Perry got a hold of it.

[quote]Oprah wants an Oscar. She'll slap you, wear a wig, and cry.

Honey, it's being released by Harvey Weinstein. The only thing stopping her is he is also the producer of "August: Osage County". He's going to be awfully busy during award season.

by Anonymousreply 2205/08/2013

I see no reason to doubt the movie just yet.

The commercial is a bit... cheesy but it's not a Spielburg movie so I'll give it a shot when I see more.

by Anonymousreply 2305/08/2013

This movie might be what The Help tried to be.

by Anonymousreply 2405/08/2013

R20=Walter Monheit

by Anonymousreply 2505/08/2013

Lee Daniels is generally an inept director who got lucky with PRECIOUS, primarily because it was a relatively straightforward story and the harshness of many scenes (and Mo'Nique's performance) was gripping.

SHADOWBOXER is terrible and THE PAPERBOY is a complete mess, particulary in the second half where it's practically incoherent. The narration by Macy Gray's character was added so that you'd at least have some idea of what was going on.

Daniels has cast people waaay against type in the past, and sometimes it works out: Mo'Nique is the best example, and he's used singers like Mariah Carey well given their limitations.

But John Cusack in THE PAPERBOY was borderline comical, and THE BUTLER looks like a lot of stunt casting that exists only to get people talking.

As for Weinstein, he will only get behind projects he thinks have a real chance for the Oscars. If THE BUTLER gets trashed critically and doesn't do well at the boxoffice, he won't give 2 minutes of his precious Oscar campaiging time to it.

by Anonymousreply 2605/08/2013

I loved The Help. Besides this same subject has been done before in the 70s miniseries Backstairs at the White House with the great Lesley Uggams and Oliva Cole...

by Anonymousreply 2705/08/2013

I love the cast, but honestly, that is not a great trailer. The Weinsteins will abandon it once Osage County starts getting all the Oscar buzz.

by Anonymousreply 2805/08/2013

Time to bring back "The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer"!

by Anonymousreply 2905/08/2013

I wonder if it will include the anecdote told by a former Secret Service agent about Gerald Ford's constant habit of farting loudly then accusing anyone near him of doing it. True story.

by Anonymousreply 3105/08/2013

It's odd to me that IMDB doesn't list actors/actresses for some Presidents/First Ladies:

Pat Nixon Gerald Ford Betty Ford Jimmy Carter Rosalynn Carter

Does the movie jump from Nixon to Reagan?

by Anonymousreply 3205/08/2013

Listen I thought The Paperboy was terrible and this looks ridiculous but we should be thankful that there's a director out there who's willing to make camp still - everything else coming out of Hollywood is so deathly dull and self-serious.

by Anonymousreply 3305/08/2013

There is good camp and bad camp. Without a doubt The Paper Boy was bad camp...

by Anonymousreply 3405/08/2013

R33 I am curious about that because I wonder if he is making it terrible on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 3505/08/2013

Smell R26.

Oprah is a strong contender for Best Supporting Actress next year. This same shit was said about Precious and Monique about this time a few years back, but we know how that story ended.

I'd rather watch this than Osage County, which I am already predicting will be a steaming pile of shit based on that cast.

by Anonymousreply 3605/08/2013

I liked this the first time they did this and it was called "Backstage at the White House," and we got to see Victor Buono and Julie Harris as the Tafts.

by Anonymousreply 3705/08/2013

Sorry, I meant "BackSTAIRS at the White House."

by Anonymousreply 3805/08/2013

Oh, Lord Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 3905/08/2013

[quote]Oprah is a strong contender for Best Supporting Actress next year.

How do you know Oprah wants to be in the Supporting category? She's the butler's wife and through out the picture. I'm sure the decision will be Harvey's.

by Anonymousreply 4005/08/2013

I just noticed an ingrown hair on my balls. I thought it was a zit.

by Anonymousreply 4105/08/2013

"The Paperboy was a piece of trash..."

So was "Precious". Didn't Monique have a scene where she tells that gargantuan retarded daughter to come over and take care of her (sexually)? Daniels needs to retire.

by Anonymousreply 4205/08/2013

*cough cough*

by Anonymousreply 4305/08/2013

Well hucka the bejeepers!

by Anonymousreply 4405/08/2013

"Didn't Monique have a scene where she tells that gargantuan retarded daughter to come over and take care of her (sexually)?"

That's contained in the original novel called PUSH, and it was more explicit. For once Daniels showed a little restraint.

by Anonymousreply 4505/08/2013

If this movie tanks, no amount of money will buy Oprah an Oscar nomination. Nicole Kidman could not get nominated for The Paperboy.

by Anonymousreply 4605/08/2013

I'd love to see a mash-up of clips from this movie and DJANGO UNCHAINED, especially of Whitaker vs. Jackson in the two servant roles.

by Anonymousreply 4705/08/2013

[quote]Nicole Kidman could not get nominated for The Paperboy.

Rightfully so, as well as it being a trainwreck she was greatly overshadowed by John Cusack who is one of the only reasons I'd be interested in this.

Oprah looks shit in this, hopefully she's better in the film proper. The difference with this is it's a Cuntstein film - was the Paperboy?

It's disgusting how it's all about the studio and campaign now and the best and smaller stuff like Ann Dowd in Compliance are ignored.

Everyone wants to do a Mo'Nique (hence ever hungry Kidman getting in on the action) but they don't understand that was a one off.

by Anonymousreply 4805/08/2013

Harvey also has Nicole in Grace of Monaco to uphill push for Oscar - between this piece of shit and that one, he is going to be in menopause hell come Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 4905/08/2013

Another movie by a gay director that uses no out actors.

by Anonymousreply 5005/08/2013

How the HELL did Daniels get a Director nod? I loved Precious but other than Mo'Nique and Gabby it was a mess, like it was cut with a pair of scissors.

I don't want to bring up "ethnic quota" but Spike Lee he ain't. The Paperboy was unbelievably bad.

by Anonymousreply 5105/08/2013

Unless Oprah is much better in the film itself than in the clips, she won't be nommed for anything.

The cast is so insane that I have to assume it's entirely on purpose, though Fonda as Nancy and Leo as Mamie both look like they could be really good at their parts. And if they're good while Cusack and Williams and others are playing for the camp factor, it's going to hurt the whole movie.

I was disappointed that The Paperboy lost the camp factor right around the time of the big BDSM reveal, and ended as an incoherent, unwatchable mess. I suspect The Butler is going to do the same, probably without the BDSM.

by Anonymousreply 5205/08/2013

hmm. I think it looks good.

by Anonymousreply 5305/08/2013

Nicole K was supposed to be in this movie. Wonder what happened...

by Anonymousreply 5405/08/2013

It does have that heavy handed "dialogue as clunky exposition" feel of a Tyler Perry movie.

by Anonymousreply 5505/08/2013

I actually think Roger Friedman has a good track record in his film reviews. Last year, I remembered him raving about Silver Linings Playbook and JLaw way before everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 5605/08/2013

Friedman shilled for Gatsby and now it's getting really bad reviews. Everyone in this cast is old and fading career-wise. That is Nicole's problem ... Her career is not coming back.

by Anonymousreply 5705/08/2013

[quote]Nicole K was supposed to be in this movie.

As who? Lady Bird?

by Anonymousreply 5805/08/2013

No, R58, surely Nicole "Frozen Forehead" Kidman was supposed to play "Plastic Pat" Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 5905/08/2013

I was hoping this would be good, but the trailer looks terrible.

The celebrity cameos are way too distracting, the dialogue is cheesy and I have a feeling that it will gloss over some complicated race relation issues.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Oprah does seem to be doing a good performance in it, though.

by Anonymousreply 6005/08/2013

Whitaker will be good obviously. There was a publicity photo that came out last year of Oprah with Terence Howard in a Mo'Nique-like pose, so maybe there's more to come.

I think the casting is good: James Marsden as JFK and who can resist Queen Jane, her as Nancy is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 6105/08/2013

I wish the trailer included Barbra Streisand as Golda Mier.

by Anonymousreply 6305/09/2013

While we are on the subject, the cast of "Backstairs at the White House" was uniformly excellent with several familiar actors giving convincing performances of presidential couples. Harry Morgan and Estelle Parsons were perfectly cast as Harry and Bess Truman. Ed Flanders and Lee Grant were surprisingly good as the Coolidges, whose happiness was shattered by the death of their younger son. Academy-award-winning actress Celeste Holm was macabrely amusing as the determined but hapless Florence Harding.

by Anonymousreply 6405/09/2013

This reeks of a bad ABC television movie.

by Anonymousreply 6505/09/2013

I is kind, I is smart, I is IMPORTANT!

by Anonymousreply 6605/09/2013

"Camp Classic" is a phrase from a different time.

Please don't apply it to anything post 2002'ish. It's embarrassing and sort of dates you.

by Anonymousreply 6705/09/2013

Heaven forbid one should appear dated on an anonymous message board, R67. I'll never get a man now.

by Anonymousreply 6805/09/2013

She was right about Vietnam [R63]. Eat dead vietnamese baby shit.

by Anonymousreply 6905/09/2013

R67 may be right. Was Showgirls the last camp classic?

by Anonymousreply 7005/09/2013

[quote]There was a publicity photo that came out last year of Oprah with Terence Howard in a Mo'Nique-like pose, so maybe there's more to come.

You mean this? Quiet on the set Miss Winfrey is acting!

by Anonymousreply 7105/09/2013

I say we need more trashy films like the ones he's making.

by Anonymousreply 7205/09/2013

Whoops sorry forgot link, here's the photo of Oprah "acting".

by Anonymousreply 7305/09/2013

Lol, R73; thanks for the pic.

Oprah! As Maggie in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof!

by Anonymousreply 7405/09/2013

[quote]Barbra Streisand as Golda Mier.

Oh, daer.

by Anonymousreply 7505/09/2013

I'm trying to imagine how Alan Rickman will sound like Ronald Reagan.

... at all.

by Anonymousreply 7605/09/2013

You have to admit casting Jane Fonda as Nancy is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 7705/09/2013

This sounds like a complete rip-off of the good-but-forgotten miniseries "Backstairs At The White House". I hope Ed Friendly (or his estate) sues:

by Anonymousreply 7805/09/2013

All it's missing is Markie Post as Hillary Clinton and Chris Isaak as Bill.

by Anonymousreply 7905/09/2013

The Paperboy was too bad to be camp.

by Anonymousreply 8005/09/2013

Whoopi would have been good in this.

Poor thing always gets left out of movies these days.

by Anonymousreply 8105/09/2013

I think it looks tremendous!

Heh heh.

by Anonymousreply 8205/10/2013

Oprah slaps a bitch franchise.

by Anonymousreply 8305/10/2013

[quote]Whoopi would have been good in this.

As who? Pat Nixon?

by Anonymousreply 8405/10/2013

[quote]When Hanoi Jane apologizes for her treacherous and treasonous acts during the Vietnam War, then I'll give shit about this film.

She did years and years ago. have you been living under a rock?

by Anonymousreply 8505/10/2013

I'm sure their hearts were in the right place and these big stars agreed to work for scale, but... when John Cusack gets asked to play Richard Nixon, doesn't it go through his head at least once that, "Hey, I'm a bad choice for this role! I don't bear a passing resemblance to this person!"

by Anonymousreply 8605/10/2013

I was most curious to see Jane's impression of Nancy but they gave her no lines in the trailer. It's the most inspired and twisted of this random casting. Robin Williams is an immediate red flag, along with John Cusack.

by Anonymousreply 8705/10/2013

I liked the Paperboy.

well.... liked is a bit over the top. I found it entertaining as an ITune download on a Wednesday night viewing. Didn't know Zac had any edge in him; and, Macy was her usual slurring, sloppy sensual, with her big ass self.

The movie had its moments.

by Anonymousreply 8805/10/2013

Oprah isn't an actress. That much remains clear in the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 8905/10/2013

I agree ... She was a talk show host! It's like putting Kathie Lee Gifford in Amour.

by Anonymousreply 9005/10/2013

I think it looks interesting and can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 9105/10/2013

The actors who played presidents and First Ladies in "Backstairs at the White House" were no great shakes, but we enjoyed that mini-series anyway. I still have the DVD set.

by Anonymousreply 9205/10/2013

"I'll Kiiilll him dead fo' I let him beat me!

by Anonymousreply 9305/10/2013

Yes the casting is very bizarre. But I'll wait to see. Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 9405/10/2013

Release date moved up! Did Harvey see the cut and is now getting it out of Serious and Important season?

by Anonymousreply 9505/11/2013

Robin Williams as Eisnhower?! Is this a remake of the Three Stooges?

by Anonymousreply 9605/11/2013

August means that they are hoping it means money, but are not expecting any kinds of major-year end critics awards to help push it into Oscar contention. It may be worse that the trailer even suggests.

by Anonymousreply 9705/11/2013

Sorry, they are hoping it makes money

by Anonymousreply 9805/11/2013

The academy HATES Oprah - they would never reward her. Don't forget "Beloved" was touted for months for its supposed Oscar prowess - and Jonathan Demme is a much better director than Lee Daniels.

I think this is going to be a massive flop - they might be able to rope enough school groups and black churches into group sales, but once word of mouth hits the fan - I predict Oprah goes on a very LONG vacation and we don't see much of her again 'til he holiday special on OWN.

While she's away she'll once again hit the mac and cheese due to the humiliation of not being recognized by the movie-going public and the Academy. Don't worry, she'll tell us all about the saga in excruciating detail in a few years - Oprah's good with sharing like that!

by Anonymousreply 9905/11/2013

Wise and true, r99.

I don't love to see Oprah keep failing, but it is pretty hard to feel sorry for her.

Truth is a slippery word. She used it too often.

She has terrible taste and instincts now, and her integrity is gone. Her ego is massive and she trips over it.

by Anonymousreply 10005/11/2013

Didn't the Academy already give Oprah an honorary Oscar? She may score a supporting nomination, but that did not work out for Nicole Kidman. My guess is that this is being moved to August because it's BAD.

by Anonymousreply 10105/11/2013

The Forrest Gump of racism!

by Anonymousreply 10205/11/2013

Is August: Osage County being released in August? May as well go with the title and try to make more.

Sometimes earlier films get through for Oscar of course, August isn't THAT late compared to some. But it's usually after Toronto, yes. And recently there hasn't been many early releases that got through sadly.

by Anonymousreply 10305/11/2013

August: Osage County is slated for a November release, which is similar to the release pattern for Silver Linings Playbook.

by Anonymousreply 10405/11/2013

August looks like a giant pile of shit. I would love if the film came out and completely bombed. Pretentious and horribly acted. Butler at least looks like it will be fun.

by Anonymousreply 10505/11/2013

I am not judging August on the trailer. The Butler, however ...

by Anonymousreply 10605/11/2013

You can most certainly judge August on that shitty trailer.

by Anonymousreply 10705/11/2013

Oprah's Honorary Oscar was bought and paid for to promote her cable channel and stroke her ego, R101. She has made no significant contribution to cinema and the Humanitarian Award is normally given to well known "film people." It's not supposed to be like a Nobel that can be given to people from any walk of life.

Unfortunately, you cannon buy an acting Oscar straight out, try as Harvey might to influence the voting. Oprah will NEVER get an acting Oscar for the same reason Spielberg gets snubbed - they're too rich and successful and people don't like them.

People want to see Jennifer Lawrence win an acting award or some dowdy British journey woman who's been toiling away for years in BBC bit parts - not Oprah the Billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 10805/11/2013

The Iron Bitch trailer looked like an AWFUL film but Meryl looked really good, so you could judge that.

August is too ensembley to tell. But who cares if it's good performances in a shit film (unless they're one of those rare tour de forces). Rachel Getting Married with Queen Anne springs to mind.

by Anonymousreply 10905/11/2013

[quote]Release date moved up! Did Harvey see the cut and is now getting it out of Serious and Important season?

Did you not read the article YOU linked? Harvey is releasing it on the same date as "Julie & Julia" and "The Help" were released and went on to Academy attention.

[quote]The academy HATES Oprah - they would never reward her.

You're a bit of an idiot, aren't you? R101 is correct, in 2011 The Academy Of Motion Pictures Arts & Science awarded Oprah Winfrey The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in the form of an Oscar statue. If that's HATE, can you imagined if they only liked her a little?

by Anonymousreply 11005/11/2013

Bought and paid for, R110. You don't really think the Academy said, "Gee, who in the movie industry has a lifetime of great humanitarian works that we should give an award to?" and came up with Oprah, do you?

You're a naive fanboy. Don't cry when the nominations come out 'cause your girl ain't gonna be on the list!

by Anonymousreply 11105/11/2013

August looks like 100 movies I have seen before. Judging by the directors track record ( with Precious being a fluke) I have no reason to think Butler will be good...

by Anonymousreply 11205/11/2013

I think it is delicious karma that Cusack in now crawling for parts from a black director-twice in a row!!! Oh the irony is too much!! If you guys knew what I know about this phony liberal...

Just like the Paperboy,the rest of the cast will be brought down weight of bad karma. They might as well be working for free, because that is what Cusack believes-that HE should be paid for the hard works of others. God don't like ugly,folks....

by Anonymousreply 11305/11/2013

I had read things about Cusack being nasty, r113. Interesting. His fug of a sister obviously has no manners after what she said to Gabby Sidibe.

John Cusack seemed remarkably calm after some interviewer made a major gaffe at some junket, forget what it was.

by Anonymousreply 11405/12/2013

R110, Oprah probably has friends on the Academy board, and her deep ties to ABC (which broadcasts the Oscars) helped her get her honorary award. That doesn't necessarily mean that she's well-liked within the actor's branch, whose members will determine whether she's nominated.

I don't see the rank-and-file members voting for Oprah unless her performance is undeniable. People not known primarily for acting rarely get nominated, and when they do (singer Jennifer Hudson, comedian Mo'Nique), it's usually for a performance so completely in line with Academy tastes that they can ignore the person's lack of a reputation as a serious actor.

I don't think they hate her, but I seriously doubt the actors in the Academy will go for Oprah if they can choose someone who isn't seen as an acting dilettante.

by Anonymousreply 11505/12/2013

The same year Oprah got an Oscar so did James Earl Jones. For the life of me I can't think of a reason he did...

by Anonymousreply 11605/12/2013

I finally saw this and was underwhelmed to say the least. What a boring crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 11707/27/2014

Upon a repeat viewing recently, I must say that Oprah's performance was nuanced and sublime. Unbelievably, she completely disappeared into that frustrated housewife. She was robbed of an Oscar nomination indeed.

by Anonymousreply 11807/27/2014

Nuanced, sublime, indeed. These are words only used by ancient Queens.

by Anonymousreply 11907/27/2014

Indeed they are. They are the purses that fall from the mouths of some gays when they speak.

by Anonymousreply 12007/27/2014

I couldn't believe how bad this movie was. I was embarrassed for Whitaker, who I think is a fine actor, but he just seemed lost and unfocused in this shitfest. As previously posted, Oprah was the best thing about it. That leaves me speechless. And I did find the actor who played Whitaker's son compelling to watch. I look forward to seeing what else he can do. Even the stunt casting failed to hold my interest.

by Anonymousreply 12107/27/2014

What was REALLY awful about was the fact that the story was almost completely fake.

The best part about it was Oprah's jumpsuit. Oh, and Lenny Kravitz was hot.

by Anonymousreply 12207/27/2014

[quote]The same year Oprah got an Oscar so did James Earl Jones. For the life of me I can't think of a reason he did...

[quote]The Academy Honorary Award, instituted in 1948 for the 21st Academy Awards (previously called the Special Award), is given by the discretion of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) to celebrate motion picture achievements that are not covered by existing Academy Awards, although prior winners of competitive Academy Awards are not excluded from receiving the Honorary Award........the Special Award and Honorary Award have been used to reward significant achievements of the year that did not fit in existing categories, subsequently leading the Academy to establish several new categories, and to honor exceptional career achievements, contributions to the motion picture industry, and service to the Academy.

In 2011 the Honorary Award went to James Earl Jones:

[quote]"for his legacy of consistent excellence and uncommon versatility"

and to Dick Smith:

[quote]"for his unparalleled mastery of texture, shade, form and illusion"

James Earl Jones has had a 50+ year acting career. He has 2 Prime Time Emmys, 1 Day Time Emmy, 2 Tony Awards, a Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award and various nominations. He is the only actor who has won two Emmys in the same year

In 2011 Oprah Winfrey was awarded the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. This is a different award than the award that Jones and Smith received.

[quote]The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is awarded periodically by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) at the Governors Awards ceremonies for an individual's outstanding contributions to humanitarian causes. The award category was instituted in 1956. Unlike the Academy Award of Merit, the nomination and voting for this award are restricted to members of the Board of Governors of AMPAS.

[quote]In 2004, Winfrey became the first black person to rank among the 50 most generous Americans and she remained among the top 50 until 2010. By 2012 she had given away about $400 million to educational causes. As of 2012, Winfrey had also given over 400 scholarships to Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia. Winfrey was the recipient of the first Bob Hope Humanitarian Award at the 2002 Emmy Awards for services to television and film. To celebrate two decades on national TV, and to thank her employees for their hard work, Winfrey took her staff and their families on vacation to Hawaii in the summer of 2006. In 2013, Winfrey donated $12 million to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture. President Barack Obama awarded her the Presidential Medal of Freedom later that same year.

by Anonymousreply 12307/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!