Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think Canada should become the 51st state of America?

I'm Canadian and I think it would benefit all of us if we became American. I mean we are already are anyway. Most of the businesses in Canada are American. We mostly watch American movies (seriously, think back and can you think of any Canadian movies you've watched; ya, I can't, either). Our so-called culture is pretty much American. And we do virtually everything they tell us to do.

So, why not join America. There's no shame in admitting that we are all practically American anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5909/15/2013

The only way in hell you're Canadian is if you're ragingly ignorant of US culture.

I live near the border. I see both cultures. I can't see how anyone would want to give up Canada for the US.

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2013

Wouldn't each of your provinces want to maintain its individual "statehood"?

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2013

We only want Montreal, that way I won't need a passport for the strip bars.

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2013

Do we have to take Quebec? I love those crazy Quebecois but my guess they would rather go it alone. The Maritimes would have to agree to be one state, but the others could be individual states. The real problem to becoming states is that with the exception of Alberta, the other provinces would probably elect Democratic senators which means the Republicans would never agree to annexing. Canada is far more liberal than the U.S. Look at how the NDP and the Liberals poll in national elections, somewhere over 60%. Stephen Harper is PM only because you guys can't get your act together, and he is nowhere as conservative as the average Tea Party/Republican politician.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2013

OP is neither Canadian or successful at trolling.

OP should get out of his mother's basement occasionally, the fumes from the HVAC have finally taken their toll.

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2013

OP is an American who can no longer cross the border because of a narcotics arrest.

We aren't fooled.

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2013

Canada has a lot that is better, but what we don't have is an intellectual city (aside from Montreal which is divided by language).

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2013

Virtually every city in Canada is intellectual compared to those in the US.

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2013

Ok, we'll take Montreal and give Canada their pick of any two major midwestern cities EXCEPT for Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2013

No, Canada does not have a New York or even a Boston

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2013

Montreal and New York should have some kind of union, and forget about the rest.

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2013

I'll take Nova Scotia. You can have Prince Edward Island.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2013

Without me and the French you're just...Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2013

NO!!

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2013

Really OP? Despite outward appearances the two countries are really nothing alike.

So do you think Germany and Austria should merge? They both speak the same language and watch a lot of the same TV shows and films.

Or perhaps Belgium should become a province of France?

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2013

We should use it for generating nuclear power, storing,nuclear waste and storing all garbage.

by Anonymousreply 1605/07/2013

OP is either a troll or a retard. I don't know ANY Canadian that would want Canada to become part of the US

by Anonymousreply 1705/07/2013

I'd love an endless supply of giving and painfully decent Canadian bottoms, I'm all for it!

by Anonymousreply 1805/07/2013

I'm not Canadian, but if there were ever a merger to be made, I would hope we in the US would opt to become Canadian. We've pretty much worn out the American and United States thing.

by Anonymousreply 1905/07/2013

There are more than a few countries which emulate the U.S.A. They watch our tv programs, movies, listen to our music. And they're still not satisfied with their own cultures? Ha! Ha!

Look what the U.S.A. pop culture producers are doing to Alaska. That's what's going to happen to Canada if the U.S. invades it. You will see your beloved country become overpopulated, and your precious natural resources plundered.

You are obviously not a proud Canadian!

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2013

Well, we could certainly use the storage space.

by Anonymousreply 2105/07/2013

I dream of the day I can leave America as it has become a country of the stupidest and most greedy people on the face of the earth. Why on earth would Canadians want to become part of this piece of shit country, for what...to have no health care.

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2013

Canada is full of idiots. Honestly, they're slow. Don't get me wrong, they're nice, but they're slightly retarded.

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2013

It seems like a good time for this...

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2013

OMG, R13. Marry me! I totally did not see your post...

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2013

What do you look like, R25? I do have standards.

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2013

No, not Canada. If the Eurosceptics get their way and the UK breaks from the EU, the US should annex Britain and divide it into four states -- England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. We can invite Ireland, and if they accept, they can only be admitted if they reunite with NI and form one Ireland. The Queen, alas, would have to be banished if she refuses to relinquish the crown.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2013

I think we should shut the border, build a huge wall across the country, and throw Justin Bieber over the wall.

by Anonymousreply 2805/08/2013

I think the western people would want their capital at San Francisco, and the middle people at Mexico City (far away from most of them). The problem is the east. I'd recommend Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 2905/08/2013

OP apparently has no need of healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 3005/08/2013

Hush you mouth OP. My favorite film is The Sweet Hereafter. And Last Night is in my top 30.

I would love it if we were to merge. The only thing which keeps me from moving full time to my house in eastern BC is the tax situation. So I spend my summers there and rent it the rest of the year. I LOVE Canada and Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 3105/08/2013

R26, I'm sure if we had our wedding photo in the Times, there would be multiple threads started about twins getting married ;)

by Anonymousreply 3205/08/2013

The Province of Alberta already has claims on the 51st state title.

The rest of Canada would have to be the 52nd state.

Quebec is going back to France.

Nova Scotia is going back to England.

British Columbia is already Hong Kong in all but name.

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2013

I am from California and I would like to see Canada as 52 state. (51 is reserved for PR). That would help a lot for both of us. One army, one currency, one state etc.

United States of America!

by Anonymousreply 3409/15/2013

Sorry, England has beat you to it.

by Anonymousreply 3509/15/2013

there would be so many more bottoms added to the country. Interesting...

by Anonymousreply 3609/15/2013

I would love it. I'm sick of smug Canadians. Thankfully I live in a border city and can get to the US where I'm not shafted and overpaying for absolutely everything.

by Anonymousreply 3709/15/2013

I'd rather have Canada than Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 3809/15/2013

Well, since fleeing the border to Canada is my plan in the event of a fascist Tea Party coupe... I'll say no...

by Anonymousreply 3909/15/2013

Could we adopt your national anthem? It's prettier than ours. I guess tht would mean we'd all have to become Canadian then. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 4009/15/2013

Canada's national debt is $596 billion while the USA's is $17.6 trillion. Most likely, over the next decade, we're going to go through another financial mess because what we're doing now isn't sustainable.

Stick with being your own country. You don't want to be part of this hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 4109/15/2013

They've already designed 51-state flags.

Cuba is the most likely topic.

The problem with adding states is trying to figure out which way they will vote.

by Anonymousreply 4209/15/2013

I would prefer Canada allowing the US to become part of Canada. This would finally get us into the commonwealth so I could move to Australia a lot easier.

by Anonymousreply 4309/15/2013

No, I do not think Canada should be the 51st state. One of the great charms of Canada is that it's not the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 4409/15/2013

I think we should do it like the DJIA; keep the number constant at 50, but drop and add as needed.

So, drop Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, and Florida.

Invite Puerto Rico, Ontario, British Columbia, and Sonora.

by Anonymousreply 4509/15/2013

Why bother, OP? We already have Minnesota and the Dakotas. Pretty much the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 4609/15/2013

No way, the drag on the average IQ and the economy would put us on par with Vietnam.

by Anonymousreply 4709/15/2013

We should drop the USA thing and start calling ourselves Columbia. Nobody could hate us anymore because everybody would be confused as to whether we were talking about Colombia or Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 4809/15/2013

I can't for one minute believe this was written by a real Canadian. Good grief, the most important thing those people have is that they aren't us.

by Anonymousreply 4909/15/2013

Will someone start a thread about Smurfs?? I don't wanna pay the 18 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 5009/15/2013

Are you Stephen Harper, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5109/15/2013

Well 51 through 60 for the provinces to become states (though Newfoundland/Labrador and Prince Edward Is. have less people than Wyoming). Newfoundland/Lab. is still above 1/2 a million, so that should be fine, but Prince Edward has less people than even Guam, meaning it would probably be absorbed into the nearest province (New Brunswick).

They'll keep the same status for the three Canadian Territories, since all have lower populations than any U.S. Territory.

9 new States (1 being New Brunswick/Prince Edward combined) plus 3 new territories would be interesting, but of course it won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 5209/15/2013

said no canadian ever.

by Anonymousreply 5309/15/2013

Why would you want to fuck up Canada that way?

What I do wish is that I could become a Canadian citizen. I've grown to be disgusted with this country. Unfortunately for health and financial reasons I can't move to Canada or even out of my neighborhood but if I could I would, Canada, Italy, France or Germany or one of the Nordic countries.

The right wing/baggers and Republican lites posing as Democrats have made me really hate the country I used to love and be proud to belong to.

by Anonymousreply 5409/15/2013

It think it's a great idea!

by Anonymousreply 5509/15/2013

What if we just re-distributed to states/provinces etc and create two new countries.

"Liberal Amerada": British Colombia, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, HI, IL, IN, IA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, New Brunswick, NH, NJ, NM, NY, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, OH, Ontario, OR, Prince Ed. Is, PA, Quebec, RI, VT, WA, WI,

"Conservative Canica": AL, Alberta, AK, AR, ID, KS, KY, Manitoba, MS, MT, NE, ND, NS, OK, Saskatchewan, SC, SD, TN, UT, WV, WY

Up in the air, probably divide it up: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana (If just for New Orleans), Missouri, North Carolina, Northwest Terr., Nunavut, Nevada, Texas (to save Austin), Virginia, Yukon

by Anonymousreply 5609/15/2013

The West Coast can be French baby!

by Anonymousreply 5709/15/2013

Yes.

Unfortunately Mexico is going to become the 51st state. Or the entire south west. Thanks plutocrats.

by Anonymousreply 5809/15/2013

First of the District of Columbia ought to be the 51st state, New Columbia. Puerto Rico and perhaps the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam and American Samoa to follow into the Union

I listen to the CBC almost every day. The CBC covers American news has much as NPR, CNN, NBC, CBS or ABC.

Canadians know who John Kerry and Mitch McConnell are. Would an American know the difference between Stephen Harper and Harper Lee? Justin Trudeau and Justin Timberlake?

by Anonymousreply 5909/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.