Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If you're laughing at Charles Ramsey, you're an ass

Let's talk about the difference between "laugh at me" and "laugh with me."

In modern ironic hipster culture, where identity is consumption (even if it's consumption at a thrift store) and where "authenticity" is an impossible dream achieved only by consuming certain things with enough enthusiasm to not be considered a "poser," it's hard to understand people like Charles Ramsey, who rescued an abducted white woman in Cleveland. To a lot of people, it may be fun to share videos of Ramsey and smile at his way of expressing himself. To others, sharing those same videos is a way of ridiculing the man and diminishing his heroism.

In case you're one of the people doing that, here are a few things you should know.

1. Ramsey is more heroic than you. Remember that guy Sully who landed the plane? He was doing his job. Remember that NBA player that came out of the closet? He was trying to GET a job. This guy, Ramsey? He was on a day off from his job when he heard what he thought was a domestic disturbance and he did something most DON'T do, considering it very much NOT their job: he intervened.

2. Ramsey is probably worse off than you. That job he was off from? Dishwasher. Hard, smelly, low-paying work. The work of the working poor. And McDonald's, for all its faults, is what people who work as dishwashers can afford to eat. Disapprove? Fix poverty. Lectures and jokes only serve to further alienate you from the working poor people you often claim to give a shit about.

3. Ramsey is more authentic than you. See this guy? He's himself. Because he's not trying to appropriate a culture, or attain ironic distance, or impress anyone, he can actually be an expressive human being.

4. Ramsey is funnier than you. Because he's comfortable in his own skin, Ramsey, like the many great folk raconteurs of my childhood, and like so many people back home that I still know, is able to blur the line between "laugh at me" and "laugh with me." He doesn't feel the need to broadcast with a wink or air quotes when he's being funny. And, because he doesn't, you, oh smug sharer of unkind memes, don't even REALIZE when he's being funny. He doesn't have to deliver his comedy with a smirk or a sneer. He can mug, be expressive, and use slang without being wry about it. Your need to separate everything into "intentionally funny" and "unintentionally funny" is your problem, not is. And you're too smug to know that he's putting one over on you.

Mr. Ramsey acted quickly, compassionately, and bravely, and did it all with a sense of humor and a great deal of insight. As a result of his bravery, I can think of one guy who is DEFINITELY not laughing. He did more good with this act than many who are laughing at him will ever do in their entire lives.

And I'd rather eat McDonald's on Ramsey's porch than get Whole Foods with a lot of people who find him so laughable today.

by Anonymousreply 6105/12/2013

What the hell are you on about op? Who's laughing at him?

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2013

I think in general, people are reacting positively towards him. People on the internet make fun of everyone and anyone.

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2013

I have certainly helped people in need without it being my job OP. No, none of them turned out to be ten years' captive, but it's hardly a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2013

Don't use the term "queens" r2. It pushes you into the same category as the people who say "ewwwww."

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2013

How many times in ten years did he fail to notice something untoward over at that house?

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2013

R7, Ramsey said he only lived in that neighborhood for a year.

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2013

People have to become more aware of their surroundings. Reports of yelling in that house, plastic bags over the windows. And lord knows what people might have missed.

I'm a curtain-twitcher. But it angers me when females constantly scream out in a joking way, to be funny or to get attention. Especially young women. You get used to it, so you don't go to the window anymore and just think, "Agh, crazy bitches".

STOP SCREAMING.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2013

OP, don't shit on NBA players coming out to prove a point.

It invalidates the rest of what you're saying.

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2013

[quote]if you can't tell he's hamming it and clowning for the camera

I bet he's A LOT more wigged than he's letting on. I'm not saying he's going to be scarred for life or anything, but it must freaking him out that he socialized with those sickos.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2013

"I imagine some of them are the same queens as you see in here ranting on some of these very issues ("ewwww, McDonalds!")"

Of course you did. That's because your entire social life is imaginary, and you are obese and lonely and sad and constantly need to justify your toxic junkf ood addition.

--

Here's a note: If he's such a "hero," why didn't he notice the odd behavior or have any clue at any point during the last TEN YEARS THEY WERE IN THE HOUSE?

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2013

R13, HE'S ONLY LIVED THERE FOR ABOUT A YEAR!

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2013

OP - Were you trying to pass off your post as a piece of journalism from CNN by providing that link?

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2013

OP, lighten the fuck up. Speaking for myself, and I am unanimous in this, I would make fun of my own mother if she was suddenly thrust out on the interwebs for everyone to see. Everybody does it. Everybody laughs about it. Almost everybody doesn't take it seriously.

Life is too short Beatrice, relax and enjoy it a bit.

by Anonymousreply 1605/07/2013

R7, R13

HE ONLY LIVED THERE A YEAR!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1705/07/2013

Right on, OP! It disgusts me that so many assholes out there wouldn't dare put themselves in harms way for ANYONE, yet they'd go out of their way to mock a true hero. And I say this as someone in the military too. I scoff whenever people act like everyone who serves is a hero (Lt Col Krusinski????)...um, no. Heroes are ordinary people who do extraordinary things...often risking their lives for others.

Sure, Charles Ramsey has a colorful way of putting things; however, he called the cops, he helped break down the door, and he's directly responsible for reuniting 3 young women with their heartbroken families. He deserves free McDonald's and more for what he did...not derision and scorn.

by Anonymousreply 1805/07/2013

[quote]Speaking for myself, and I am unanimous in this,

I'm glad your multiple personalities agree with each other. For a change.

by Anonymousreply 1905/07/2013

Well I approve of anything that brings down hipster douche bags.

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2013

Is there any kind of award/reward for people who did what Mr. Ramsey did? Is the a reward for info about the girls/women? I hope so. And I hope he gets it.

by Anonymousreply 2105/07/2013

I reserve the right to laugh at him AND to think he's a hero and better than hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2013

He deserves a Presidential Citizens Medal at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2013

[quote]Of course you did. That's because your entire social life is imaginary, and you are obese and lonely and sad and constantly need to justify your toxic junkf ood addition.

Look troll, you're wrong on all counts, and your typing sucks. Just saying. Talk about pathetic....

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2013

There must have been award money offered over the years. Whether it's still available is the question. He and the other neighbor who helped him kick down the door deserve every penny of it.

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2013

He was going for the laugh, gawd. Calm down OP. Picture Chappelle's face doing that 'routine'.

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2013

Thank you OP. Very well said.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2013

The reward money will probably end up in the pockets of the Cleveland police.

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2013

This may have been mentioned (I'm on a tiny screen) but you can support Mr. Ramsey on Twitter at #RamseyReward.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2013

Don't forget Angel Cordero who helped kick the door in.

by Anonymousreply 3005/07/2013

Black men are more likely to perform heroic acts. That's a fact.

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2013

Fuck off and eat shit R33, you teabag fraucunt.

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2013

I'd forgotten this.

by Anonymousreply 3505/07/2013

Here's a link to prove R31 's point.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2013

This thread won't end well.

by Anonymousreply 3705/07/2013

I haven't watched the tape since I'm at work, but there's nothing clownish about the interview. He's chronological and factual and gives a good description about everything. The language isn't even colloquial.

Reporter John Kosich: Walk me through what happened this afternoon. You heard screaming?

Charles Ramsey: Heard screaming, I’m eating my McDonald’s, I come outside, and I see this girl going nuts, trying to get out of the house. So I go on the porch. I got on the porch and she said, “Help me get out. I’ve been here a long time.” I figured it was a domestic violence dispute. So I open the door. And we can’t get in that way ‘cause of how the door is, it’s so much that a body can’t fit through; only your hand. So we kicked the bottom. And she comes out with a little girl and she says "Call 911. My name is Amanda Berry."

Kosich: Did you know who that was when that?

Ramsey: When she told me, it didn’t register. Until I got the call to 911 and then I’m like, “I’m calling 911 for Amanda Berry. I thought that girl was dead.” You know what I mean? And she got on the phone and she said “Yeah, this is me.” And the detective… Det. Gregory Cook said “Charles, do you know who you rescued?”

Kosich: And when did you see Gina?

Ramsey: About… About five minutes after the police got here. See that girl Amanda, told the police “I ain’t the only one. There’s some more girls up in that house.” So they go up in there, 30, 40, deep. And when they came out, it was just astonishing. ‘Cause I thought they would come up with nothing. Like I said, my neighbor, you got to have some pretty big testicles to pull this off, bro. Because we see this dude every day. I mean every day.

Kosich: How long have you live here?

Ramsey: I’ve been here a year. You see where I’m coming from? I barbeque with this dude. We eat ribs and whatnot and listen to salsa music. You see where I’m coming from?

Kosich: And you had no indications?

Ramsey: Bro, not a clue that that girl was in that house. Or anybody else was in there against their will. Because how he is. He just comes out to his back yard, plays with the dogs, tinkering with his cars and motorcycles, go back in the house. So he’s somebody you look, then look away. He’s not doing anything, but the average stuff. You see what I’m saying? There’s nothing exciting about him. Well, until today.

Kosich: What were the reactions on the girls’ faces? I can’t imagine to see the sunlight…

Ramsey: Bro, I knew something was wrong when a little, pretty white girl ran into a black man’s arms. Something is wrong here. Dead giveaway. Dead giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 3805/07/2013

R36 - it probably has to do with exposure. How many times do you as a white person get exposed to situations that warrant heroic action? Probably not many.

by Anonymousreply 3905/07/2013

The sociologist who conducted the study probably controlled for exposure to events that warrant heroic action. There would be no point to reporting the results if exposure weren't controlled or statistically or experimentally.

I don't have time to dig into the other thread, but I'd be interested in reading the study and its methods.

by Anonymousreply 4005/07/2013

He's a character, he's a little over the top, he's entertaining and he's charming.

by Anonymousreply 4105/07/2013

*for statsitically

Damn sticky f key.

by Anonymousreply 4205/07/2013

I agree with this article.

by Anonymousreply 4305/07/2013

His own 911 phone call used rather colorful language and I thought that was amusing. But I for one am not laughing at the guy at all, I think that he stepped up when the woman needed help and he took a risk to help her escape, even knowing the asshole(s) holding the women hostage could come and give him hell any minute. It was very heroic!

by Anonymousreply 4405/07/2013

What are you talking about, R39? Please explain what you meant.

by Anonymousreply 4505/07/2013

White people simply are not going to be put into situations requiring action as much as minorities. We have unjustly put minorities carefully ensconced in ghettos and dangerous areas that unfortunately put them in the position of having to face dire situations as part of their life.

by Anonymousreply 4605/07/2013

I laughed my ass off but not because he's a "stereotypical black in the ghetto" but because he was so "dude, there's this white chick here and you need to send a car" and kept calm despite the operator's total disinterest. "No, brah, she's white but her kid looks hispanic". Plus dropping the "f" bomb.

by Anonymousreply 4705/07/2013

[quote]There’s nothing exciting about him. Well, until today.

He's a funny guy. I hope he gets at least some reward for this. Like a better job, maybe...

by Anonymousreply 4805/07/2013

R46, you're kind of an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4905/07/2013

A related thread...

by Anonymousreply 5005/07/2013

You know what happens to bad little Ramsey children, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 5105/07/2013

Another hipster bashing troll. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 5205/07/2013

I only see light hearted ribbing, followed by genuine comments on his supreme heroism. And, after watching his video, I think he'd be totally okay with that. He was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 5305/07/2013

OP I am with you 100%. Early this morning I posted in the thread announcing the event that I was appalled by the way the media was exploiting his average neighborhood guy manner. The smug barely disguised racism was sickening. Not one single post responded either positively or negatively. In other words, it didn't bother them one whit.

Is he folksy and funny? Yes. But for Imus to request a 10 minute reel of all his interviews for his own personal enjoyment was over the top. If he felt that way, he should have kept it to himself.

I decided this afternoon that I am sending him a generous check. I'm sure he will reap some sort of reward from the city or organizations, but I really liked him, and he is a working American being himself, who found himself suddenly thrust into the spotlight. I don't give a shit if he blows in on one big party or some shares of stock. I enjoy helping people who aren't asking for it.

by Anonymousreply 5405/08/2013

The media is based in New York, so you're going to get the "Everybody outside the city is a hick" mentality, which is demonstrated so well on DL.

by Anonymousreply 5505/08/2013

I read your post quite intently, as I am one who has "made fun" of Mr. Ramsey (according to you). I am none of the stuff that you suggest I am and quite frankly your post is nothing but moronic idiotic dribble written for the sole purpose that you hope to make yourself sound intelligent and important to any fool who believes the felch you have written.

We didn't look like we needed to escape when the police sirens sounded during the interview.

We didn't say that American Society is screwed up when a little white girl comes running into a black mans arms.

Screw you for thinking that any of us would not run to help someone screaming for their life. Very few would walk by and ignore it, that I know of. AND I refuse to believe that any in any city would walk by when they heard someone screaming for their life to help them........maybe you, but not most of us.

BTW, Mr. Ramsey is going to make more money and gain more notoriety off of his heroic act than you will earn in your lifetime..........how do you like them apples?

You definitely need to review your outlook on our Society as yours is what brings us down with all of your stinking negativity and harping on people that have done nothing other than to read your dribble.

by Anonymousreply 5605/10/2013

The best is he embellished! Some Dominican guy really did it all. He just watched the whole thing go down. Too bad Peter Jennings isn't around like he was with OJ's caller. Pathetic media.

by Anonymousreply 5705/10/2013

[quote]Ramsey, like the many great folk raconteurs of my childhood, and like so many people back home that I still know, is able to blur the line between "laugh at me" and "laugh with me."

So where's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 5805/12/2013

For R56:

by Anonymousreply 5905/12/2013

[quote]moronic idiotic dribble

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6005/12/2013

[quote]your stinking negativity and harping on people that have done nothing other than to read your dribble.

Did someone piss letters in the snow?

by Anonymousreply 6105/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.