Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Getting A Kitten Off Of Craigslist

Has anyone gotten an animal off of Craigslist? I know you can't confirm that I won't end up chopped up into little pieces and thrown in a dustbin by the person I get it from, but I'm still curious if anyone's done it before. A lot of people put up notices that their cat just had a litter and they need to find homes for the kittens.

I've searched shelters btw. The young cats get adopted in record time. I'm going for a young one after I had adopted an older cat, which I had up until a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 2405/10/2013

Change the computer password.

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2013

no, but I've gotten plenty of pussy off of CL.

Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2013

We got good dog for Sum Dum Soup and kitty cat for Barbie Ques.

Work like a charm...only $5,

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2013

Are you the one who asked if Amazon was a safe website? What exactly are you afraid of? Are you a woman or very elderly? I can understand a woman being wary about entering a stranger's house, but can't assess the situation and get out if a freak answers the door?

Think for a minute: how many cases have you heard of people getting murdered through a Craigslist connection? Because all I can think if is that blond dude with the fiancée who killed a few massage therapists (prostitutes), and that was several years ago. I'm not saying we should be cautious about meeting strangers off of the Internet, but if you're imagining a serial killer behind every "FREE KITTENS" post, you're a bit paranoid.

If you're really uneasy about it, bring someone with you and ask the kitten-procurer to bring the kittens outside, so you don't have to enter their home.

But honestly, I don't know what your problem with shelters is. "Young cats get adopted in record time" I'm not aware of a kitten shortage, people literally can't give them away and that how they wind up at shelters. And I've been in plenty of shelters in my time but I've never seen one that didn't have a few kittens on hand. Worst case: you could leave your number and ask them to call you when they get more.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2013

How do you get a kitten off?

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2013

It's no different than getting a kitten from the Pennysaver, an ad in the newspaper, a flyer hanging on a bulletin board.

It is kitten season. The shelters are about to be overwhelmed with kittens, there will be no shortage, unfortunately.

Get two.

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2013

If your that worried go with a friend.

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2013

I got one of my cats off Craigslist. Paid a $30 rehoming fee.

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2013

I forgot to say, they charge a fee, in part, to dissuade people from getting the aniimal only to turn them over for research or some other nefarious reason.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2013

No pets, but I've put up an ad and left my hotel room door ajar while I was on all fours and blindfolded...

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2013

Get help for your sex addiction, R10, before your luck runs out.

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2013

Since you're using Craigslist, if you're lucky, your kitty might come with a happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2013

OP, check around at your local veterinarians' offices. We've always gotten our kittens from there. You'll know the animal is healthy because, in most if not all cases, the vet was taking care of the mother.

As R6 recommended, get two if you can. We adopted 2 because they were the last from the litter and couldn't imagine separating them; they had been together the longest.

Best cats ever!

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2013

I was selling a television on CL, and this one prospective buyer wanted me to schlep it to an empty parking lot.

Yeah, right.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2013

I got my little dog off of Craigslist, and she's been the love of her mother's dog life.

But do be careful -- when you go to someone's house to check out an animal, you never know what you're getting into.

If I have any doubts about the safety of a situation, I always carry my Ruger LCP. And yes, I have a concealed carry permit. Better safe than sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2013

Have you ever had a kitten before? They can be pests. I found a kitten and took it in. It constantly bothered my older cat who was sick. They (kittens) constantly want to play and get into everything

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2013

Yes, OP. Many times. No problem.

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2013

I did get a kitten off of Craigslist, and he has grown up to be the best cat ever. Bring a friend with you.

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2013

OP, what did you do to the old cat?

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2013

As mentioned already, there are plenty of kittens at the shelters, especially as it's the start of kitten season. If the municipal shelter doesn't have them, there are also plenty of private shelters (I volunteer for one that partners with Petsmart and Petco).

If you can, adopt two. Kittens need each other to learn cat etiquette and burn crazy energy.

by Anonymousreply 2105/10/2013

My friend got two cats off of craigslist and they turned out to be wonderful. My friend as a cat owner? Not so much. She let them go outside and one ended up hit by a car. I had told her she should keep them inside but she felt that was too cruel. Whatever. My friend doesn't have the best decision-making skills.

Anyway, have you checked out, OP? You'd be surprised at how many sheltering organizations that are out there in your area. I checked my area (Boston) and there were plenty of kittens and younger cats available.

by Anonymousreply 2205/10/2013

R20 I put the old cat in a microwave. You should have seen how distraught he looked right before his tiny little eyes exploded out of his sockets.

Good times...good times....

by Anonymousreply 2305/10/2013

Getting a kitten off of Craiglist is no different from the days pre-internet when people put adds in the newspaper classifieds giving away free kittens. If you're really worried, when you go to their home, ask them to bring the kitten outside and tell them you don't go into strangers' homes.

by Anonymousreply 2405/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!