Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's 'touch-and-go' for ailing Y&R grande dame Jeanne Cooper, says Joshua Morrow

MAY 6, 2013

TORONTO - "The Young & the Restless" star Joshua Morrow says venerable actress Jeanne Cooper, who plays Katherine Chancellor on the hit daytime soap, is "hanging in there" after returning to hospital with an undisclosed illness.

But Morrow adds it's a "touch-and-go" situation for the 84-year-old Daytime Emmy Award winner, who's been playing the so-called grande dame of Genoa City since 1973.

"I don't feel it's my place to say what's wrong with her but she's definitely fighting," Morrow, who plays Nicholas Newman, said Monday during a stop in Toronto to meet with fans and promote a new "Y&R" contest.

"We're just crossing our fingers and praying. Somebody wrongfully put on Twitter that she had passed away but she definitely did not. She's fighting and she's a very tough woman, so cross your fingers."

Last Wednesday, Cooper's son, actor Corbin Bernsen, wrote on his Facebook page that his mother had been re-admitted to hospital after receiving home care for a serious condition.

Morrow said the news "has been very difficult to handle" for the cast and crew, noting she "means so much" to them and to the show.

"She's the duchess and she is a huge part our history, and it's not just her character," he said.

"She's like a grandmother to everyone but she's not like a cuddly grandma — she talks like a sailor and she's tough on you and she'll make fun of you."

"Y&R," which airs on CBS in the U.S. and Global in Canada, is into its 40th year.

To celebrate the milestone, Global's "Entertainment Tonight Canada" — in partnership with Moxie's — is holding a contest giving away a trip for two to the Monte Carlo Television Festival to meet cast members at the invitation-only anniversary party. "ET Canada" will also have interviews with cast members at the festival.

Morrow, 39, said "The Young & the Restless" owes a great debt to the Canadian viewers who support the show. He's been involved in some wild storylines since joining the series in 1994 as the second child of Victor Newman and Nikki Reed and the heir to the Newman fortune.

"I think the craziest thing that ever happened to me was Nick once accidentally slept with another woman he thought was his wife," said Morrow, who was born in Juneau, Alaska.

In 2006, his character was also in a plane crash and miraculously returned to Genoa City with just a case of amnesia.

Morrow admitted Nick's near-death was the result of contract negotiations.

"There was a time when I thought I wanted to leave and we kind of reached an impasse so they wrote themselves a way out," said the father of four.

"But ... at the end of the day I realized that this show means so much to me and it's afforded me and my family an amazing life and I will always be incredibly grateful and I will never leave it. I love this show more than anything."

Still, the climate onset is much different than when he first signed on and he and fellow cast member Eddie Cibrian (the pair were also in the boy band 3Deep in the '90s) would pull pranks to make each other flub their lines during scenes.

With network executives worried about the future of the soap genre following the cancellation of "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" — which now have a new life online — such antics aren't possible, said Morrow.

"Those times were way more fun," he admitted. "No disrespect to the new regime that's running things. Those were the high-flying days of soaps — our ratings were through the roof, we took our time with our product. If you wanted two, three, four, five takes of something, they gave it to you.

"Now, it's much more business-oriented. Everything is about the money. Creatively it's kind of had to take a back seat to the financial aspects of our show. I'm not kidding, we do 98 per cent of our scenes in one take, whether it's your best work or not, because we just have to move so fast."

by Anonymousreply 7405/09/2013

We're getting a medical assessment from that idiot?

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2013

I love how in this article about an ailing Jeanne Cooper, they work in a bit about how Nick Morrow's on-screen character almost died. Soap morons really don't know their fact from fiction, do they?

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2013

[quote]"But ... at the end of the day I realized that this show means so much to me and it's afforded me and my family an amazing life and I will always be incredibly grateful and I will never leave it. I love this show more than anything."

Translation: I was going to auditions but wasn't getting any decent roles.

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2013

R1, Joshua Morrow may not be a doctor, but he's a member of the Y&R cast and is getting regular updates about Jeanne Cooper.

Daniel Goddard is probably the most-informed on the issue though since he's been to the hospital to visit her. He's been posting updates on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2013

They should get Corbin's permission to film scenes in the hospital and it can be as if Katherine is ill. That would give fans closure and cast a chance to say goodbye. Also Jeanne devoted her whole career to the show - it's likely what she would want to have happen.

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2013

Amazing photo from Jeanne's book "Not Young Still Restless."

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2013

Joshua is lucky to have Y&R. He's a dreadful actor.

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2013

Now's not the the time for that, please R7. Please respect Jeanne. She likes Joshua very much and in her time of transitioning I don't think it is appropriate to shade him in this forum on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2013

It's not surprising he and Steve Burton seem to have become friends. Both of them mediocre (at best) actors, they thought daytime was not big enough for them. Burton actually quit GH twice to try to make it in movies and primetime. That worked well.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2013

If Morrow didn't want shade, he should have kept his mouth shut. Getting publicity for himself by talking about Cooper opens him up for all the shade anyone wants to throw.

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2013

R9 please I respectfully request we focus on Jeanne here and try to help each other through this. It was very kind of Joshua to open up like that and very humble and wise of Steve to refrain from opining (as a newbie). Let's aspire to their level of maturity in this particular discourse. Pretty please?

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2013

Let's make a deal, R11. If you don't quote Morrow, I won't throw shade.

I got to know and love Cooper a number of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2013

Sounds good, R12 :) Would love to hear some of your anecdotes of your times with Jeanne if you'd like to share any!

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2013

Will Doug Davidson's coronation take place immediately upon Jeanne Cooper's death, or will it occur six weeks from now?

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2013

How is slating Morrow's acting any kind of shade? He's on the show for his looks. He's not an actor. He never has been. His passion is sports. So when I slate Morrow's acting, I don't wish to insult him personally. He's on the show for job security and that's understandable. But he and Burton and not actors, they are good looking guys who know how to generate the support of millions of female viewers, keeping them on the shows and giving them the majority of storylines over far more capable and dedicated actors.

He's not aspiring to be Roger Howarth or Tony Geary so he can take the flack.

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2013

"Oh dear god! The lord's my shepherd I shall not want! He maketh me to lie down in great pastures!!! He restoreth my soul! Phillip please!"

by Anonymousreply 1605/07/2013

Amazing scene R16. Here's a great interview and I see how she drew on her own experience in that scene. Jeanne's own husband had affairs for years but she looked the other way because she didn't want the marriage to end.

by Anonymousreply 1705/07/2013

Flame away, but I thought Morrow's acting was very good during the Sharon/Nick/Phyllis triangle. You hated Nick, and yet a part of you understood his douchery.

by Anonymousreply 1805/07/2013

Is r11 for read or is she being funny? I cannot tell.

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2013

What the hell is wrong with Jeanne Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 2105/07/2013

Do you notice how generally quiet Doug Davidson is these days?

I'm sure he wanted to be the longest tenured actor on the show, but not like this.

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2013

I still have a full tank over here. Jill... Call me, hon. I'm 40 minutes from the studio.

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2013

[quote]What the hell is wrong with Jeanne Cooper?

She's older than dirt. She was in the production of "My American Cousin" when Lincoln was shot.

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2013

R13, I don't really have any anecdotes. An ex-friend was setting up a charity event (for which he was to be the main beneficiary). He knew Jeanne, and he enlisted her help. She loves to do charity work, and she was quite enthusiastic about the project.

After a few dinners and lots of phone calls with Jeanne, I realized my friend was scamming and that he was also trying to work Jeanne to get him a job (he was unemployable at the time). I backed out.

I was completely impressed with Jeanne. She's warm and funny and genuine, very easy to be around. She's also tough and profane. I love old women who aren't passive doormats and she sure isn't. I was surprised how hard I took the news of her imminent death. She's a great old broad.

Not only is Jeanne a unique woman, so is her character. We're about to lose both of them.

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2013

Well said R25.

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2013

R19, what IS your fucking problem?

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2013

Thanks for sharing that, R25. Hope your friend turned out okay!

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2013

There are several women in daytime who are just like that. Jeanne, Robin Strasser, Jane Elliot, Liz Hubbard to name a few. They are just GOOD people.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2013

Jeanne Cooper was in the Glenn Ford western, "The Man From The Alamo" in 1953.

by Anonymousreply 3005/07/2013

Is Brock, her Christian international playboy son, going to come home?

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2013

People who upstage deserve to die.

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2013

her former Lovah...

by Anonymousreply 3305/07/2013

I agree, R30. Daytime gave those great women a niche, for which I'm grateful.

R25, last I heard, he's living off his mother. His ex defrauded investors and created major legal issues for the two of them, then he fled the country. My friend was under indictment, and that's why he was unemployable. The charges against him were dismissed, but he hasn't recovered emotionally and has coped by using lots of drugs.

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2013

Joshua Morrow is a nice guy.

He treats people with kindness.

by Anonymousreply 3505/07/2013

Whatever you want to believe, R35.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2013

Joshua Morrow is hard to figure out. In some ways he seems kind of stupid and ignorant (and he's apparently a Republican).

But R35 is right that on a personal level he usually is very nice and considerate to fans and members of the public.

by Anonymousreply 3705/07/2013

R37, he plays as many nasty backstage games as anyone at Y&R. That's why I don't give him a pass.

by Anonymousreply 3805/07/2013

What are these nasty backstage games?

by Anonymousreply 3905/07/2013

That show is going to sink without Jeanne. I don't see Jess Walton content to become the next 'grande dame'. I mean look what they have done to Jill these past 10 years. She's been totally watered down.

by Anonymousreply 4005/07/2013

That's true, R40, but Y&R is still #1 in soap ratings and is better off than the others these days.

by Anonymousreply 4105/07/2013

The show used to be so riveting. Look at this incredibly staged scene between Jill and 'the help'. It's actually stunning how on fire Jess Walton used to be. Now she must sense how the writing is simply not there on the show. This is just sensational drama and damn FUNNY!

JOHN: Mamie, I'd like a word with Mrs Abbott alone. MAMIE: You mean THE BITCH, don't you? JOHN: Thank you Mame. That will be all.

by Anonymousreply 4205/07/2013

and of course, Kay turns up to the stir the pot and make sure Jill gets fucked over!

by Anonymousreply 4305/07/2013

r41, Y&R being the 'number 1 soap' means very little these days considering there are only 4 left. The more of them that get cancelled, the more the show will lose momentum. After all, competition breeds creativity.

by Anonymousreply 4405/07/2013

Wow John was a hot daddy!

by Anonymousreply 4505/07/2013

Man From The Alamo cast list, with Jeanne Cooper:

by Anonymousreply 4605/07/2013

Seeing that clip at R42 reminds me of that episode when John confessed his love for Mamie. It came out of freaking nowhere. That may have been the last time the show ever really surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 4705/07/2013

They got married I think R47.

It's so weird that Jack never mentions his son Keemo who was conceived while he was in Vietnam.

I used to be obsessed with the Patty/Jack Storyline. I thought Andrea Williams was so beautiful. Jack used to be such a calm, calculating, cold-hearted bastard, now he's a sappy lovesick idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4805/07/2013

Keemo was on the show for a while, but I think he was written out in 1996 around the time that Luan (sp?) died. Not long after that Keemo sent Victor a fax about Mari Jo, which led to her shooting him.

by Anonymousreply 4905/07/2013

I completely missed the era of Mari Jo Mason. How many times has Victor been shot now?

I thought it was pretty good when Victor had a complete personality change and became docile after having seizures. Jack got him to sign over Jabot or something big, Jack was pretending to be Victors friend and they did Origami or flower arranging something like that together :D

I also loved when Gloria was jealous of her then husband John Abbots Physical therapist Gita, so she and Kevin started gas-lighting her. She was also paying off Terrible Tom and John thought the money was going toward Michael and Laurens wedding

by Anonymousreply 5005/07/2013

That scene at R42 is great! Haven't scene it in years.

by Anonymousreply 5105/07/2013

[quote]How many times has Victor been shot now?

Not enough.

by Anonymousreply 5205/07/2013

Nothing like a using a castmate being on the verge of death to get publicity for yourself.

So glad Joshua is getting mileage out of Jeanne's tragedy. That's the old Y&R family spirit!

by Anonymousreply 5305/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 5405/07/2013

But if he's there for a publicity event/contest and they ask him about her is that him really taking advantage?

by Anonymousreply 5505/07/2013

R55, he could have said, "We're all pulling for her," or something like that. Instead he gave an answer that implied he had more than second or third-hand information and also gave him a headline.

by Anonymousreply 5605/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 5705/07/2013

How long you plan on lingering, Jeanne? I'm two months behind on my mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 5805/07/2013

I bet she'll recover and live 10 more years..

by Anonymousreply 5905/07/2013

I have a feeling JFP's going to bring on her buddy Marj Dusay to play Kay.

by Anonymousreply 6005/07/2013

r59=Kate Linder, knowing that she'll be fired if Kay is written out.

by Anonymousreply 6105/07/2013

hahahha at least I got my star onthe walk of fame!!

by Anonymousreply 6205/07/2013

Has anyone ever been on one of those LA to Vegas flights that Kate Linder works as a flight attendant?

by Anonymousreply 6305/07/2013

She's a flight attendant? Does she wear her Esther costume?

by Anonymousreply 6405/07/2013

She's been a flight attendant since before she was on the show.

by Anonymousreply 6505/07/2013

It's not a secret that Kate Linder works part-time as a flight attendant. She's been talking about it in the soap opera interviews for years.

by Anonymousreply 6605/08/2013

She was in a cute film called "Hysteria" with Hugh Dancy and Rupert Evert. She had one or two semi-close-ups at in a party scence.

by Anonymousreply 6705/08/2013

Looks like Joshua Morrow's information turned out to be correct. : (

by Anonymousreply 6805/08/2013

Fans, now that that pesky little situation has resolved itself, which word in my trademark line should I accent? Is it "DEAR god in heaven," "dear GOD in heaven," or "dear god in HEAVEN"? Many thanks!

Katherine Chancellor Murphy

by Anonymousreply 6905/08/2013

[quote]PS, sorry Doug, but no one knows who you are outside the limited daytime world.

They should. His bulge is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 7005/08/2013

R70 if only we had the photis from when Paul was a "centerfold"

by Anonymousreply 7105/09/2013

Webmaster: Please delete this thread. Jeanne passed to glory on Wednesday, May 8.

by Anonymousreply 7205/09/2013

No more touch and go

She touched us, and now she GONE!

by Anonymousreply 7305/09/2013

GOD I miss Mamie!

by Anonymousreply 7405/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!