Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

An odd thought about celebrities

I just had an odd thought. Celebrities are a way to provide the friendless with friends. Most of these people have to act nice and welcoming and most of the biggest stars that people follow are, in essence, the popular kids at school. Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013

Can you text me the name of your guy, OP. I just ran out.

by Anonymousreply 105/06/2013

Sounds about right. After all, they have to preserve their image to sell it and it's mainly lonely people who are buying.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2013

Fuck you, OP. DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM????

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2013

What does being the most popular kid in school have to do with being a friend/celebrity? Celebrities - the idea of a star - is about being special AND being detached, unattainable, different, special and rather remote. Historically only crazy people confused them with being their friends. Even stage door Johnnies, autograph seekers and such didn't pretend that it was about friendship. It was about status and cachet.

So you're a crazy, bong-blasting stalker, OP, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2013

"Celebrities - the idea of a star - is about being special AND being detached, unattainable, different, special and rather remote."

Twitter killed that. It's the reason why most DL-ers think no one under 35 is "A-list."

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

Lindsay, get off the computer - it's past curfew. Damn! You're a handful, girl.

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2013

There used to be someone on Twitter claiming to be Liza Minnelli. The account was not verified but the claim was that it had been but there was some functional reason to drop the verification. I doubt it was Liza - some friends of friends who would know said it wasn't - but whoever it was they sure knew a lot about Liza - a scary amount. The account was finally suspended for trying to imitate Twitter's verification checkmark.

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013

I don't understand why celebrities are so much more "special" than anyone else.

They're human.

I don't understand why there is such a division--if someone is a nice, caring, intelligent person who has no ulterior motives, why wouldn't a celebrity want to become friends with a non-celebrity/someone not in the business in any way, shape or form?

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2013

Their idea of "nice, caring, intelligent..." is different from that of non-celebs. They may use the excuse that they have to be careful of who they trust, but in reality? That factors in way less. It's about what other people can potentially do for them, money and image-wise.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2013

I've caught myself thinking of "my pals at 'Top Gear' or other shows I like. So although I'm not friendless by any means, I agree that celebrities do offer the illusion of friendship.

It also offers the illusion of enemies, or social inferiors you're free to look down upon. I mean, people who watch "Real Housewives" and "Honey Boo Boo" don't watch because they want to be buddies with those trashy people.

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2013

Kinda creepy to think of how many TV's and computers your face appears on if you have a regular show. I couldn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!