Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Watching The Right Stuff

Good God, its a space age stud fest. Scott Glenn is built like a cement block house, Dennis Quaid is adorable. Fred Ward, Sam Shepard, Charles Frank, Ed Harris are all hotter than a Redstone rocket.

by Anonymousreply 4105/08/2013

Although the theme is, admittedly "borrowed" from Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto according to "composer" Bill Conti, it's still magnificent. It's a thoroughly feel good 80s film.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2013

I love that movie, including the narration by Levon Helm.

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2013

Great film. Agree about the hotness about the cast though many of the real astronauts were hunks in their day.

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2013

Fred Ward in his prime could spread me 7 ways til next week.

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

I LOVE films like this, where there's so much hotness on-screen at once, you hardly know where to look. Thank God for DVD.

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2013

I'm blanking on her last name but that actress who played Dennis Quaid's wife, Pamela Reed, was just wonderful. She deserved a better career. I think she left the business in bitterness not too long after The Right Stuff didn't make it happen for her.

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013

And the brilliant Kim Stanley in what must have been one of her last roles!

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2013

Can we get some love for "Deke Slayton?" I've had a soft spot for Scott Paulin since the late 70s.

Not a dud in the bunch, OP.

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2013

I seemed to have attained an improved facial look and body height in this flick.

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2013

Sometimes it gets a little over dramatic, and some of the dialog is corny. But damn! Its a hell of a ride and a great story. Fun fact: check out the old guy in the hat in this clip. Its Chuck Yeager. For real!

R6 You would love The Big Red One.

by Anonymousreply 1105/06/2013

R7, Pamela Reed is still in the business. She had a recurring role in "Parks and Recreation" over the past couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2013

She was also good as Arnold's partner in Kindergarten Cop, R8. And I agree with your assessment.

Actually, Kathryn Erbe reminds me a lot of Pamela Reed.

On another note, does *anyone* play bitter brittle better than Veronica Cartwright? Maybe Judy Davis or Diana Scarwid, but not really.

by Anonymousreply 1305/06/2013

Agreed R13, Veronica's big eyes convey a lot of pent-up emotion.

by Anonymousreply 1405/06/2013

Yes, as dreamy as the men are, the women deserve a hand as well. Cartwright is great, able to turn the emotions on a dime. And Kim Stanley is perfect as the tough old broad with a heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 1505/06/2013

I would never admit to this with anyone I know IRL, but I had a brief fling with Scott Glenn while he was in FL filming TRS. It was an embarrassing lack of good judgment during a week the hub was on tour. And at The Rialto in Melbourne,FL no less! A bigger no tell motel could not be found by a location scout.

This is the zenith of cheese, but MAN O MANISCHEWITZ did he ever have the right stuff! The only celeb I've ever been with who truly conducted himself like a civilian in every way. And that's a good thing. He's not a handsome man, but his rough man's man face has "something" I just cannot describe. When he gives you a sly wink with just a hint of a smile......oooooooh baby.

by Anonymousreply 1605/06/2013

Did you notice the groupies? I seem to recall that they had just fucked Gus Grissom (Fred Ward), and one of them says "Four down, three to go."

by Anonymousreply 1705/06/2013

[quote]It was an embarrassing lack of good judgment

WHAT!?!?!?!?! NOTHING about that is an embarrassing lack of good judgment! Hold your head high, sister. You're my hero!!!!!!!

[quote]He's not a handsome man, but his rough man's man face has "something" I just cannot describe

I disagree. I think he is handsome in a very "real man" sort of way.

by Anonymousreply 1805/06/2013

My dad named the kitten we found in the attic after this movie. My parents saw it that same night. RIP Stuffy.

by Anonymousreply 1905/07/2013

Unfortunately audiences didn't know what to make of the movie's cynical tone, and neither did the critics. It was an unusual movie in that it portrayed American heroes as comical and deeply flawed, and it rubbed the American public the wrong way. Time has been much kinder to it as cynicism is more prevalent in cinema and society as a whole. I thought it was a great movie, then and now!

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2013

I agree, r4. And, r9? The real Deke Slayton was one hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 2105/07/2013

"The Right Stuff" (1983) was a great movie. I always thought it took a huge dump on that trashy "Top Gun" that came out three years later. "The Right Stuff" guys could polish the floor with those "Top Gun" pussies! The guys were much hotter in "The Right Stuff", as well! Real men!

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2013

Apollo 13?

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2013

Space cowboys?

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2013

[quote]Sometimes it gets a little over dramatic, and some of the dialog is corny

Uh, you do realize it is about the space program in the 50s, right?

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2013

[quote]Uh, you do realize it is about the space program in the 50s, right?

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2013

Great story, fantastic special effects, endearing characters, solid cast. The part where Sally Rand's Fan Dance is intercut with Yeager wrestling with the NF-104-A is brilliant. Its one of maybe 5 movies I watch at least once every year.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2013

R25 = epic fail.

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2013

I remember seeing this as a young teenager with my dad. I was was squirming and twitching in my seat at all that potent virility..especially Fred Ward.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2013

R16, are you male or female? I'm jealous either way, of course, Scott Glenn was a very attractive man, back in the day.

So was Sam Shepard. In a cast of hot, hot, HOT men, he was the standout. Classically handsome, effortlessly charismatic, reserved yet oozing with masculinity. His Chuck Yeager is the kind of man I want in real life and can never find; masculine strength so deep it requires no display, no bravado or aggressiveness. No wonder his wife Glennis stuck with him through all the perils.

by Anonymousreply 3005/07/2013

R30 Wow, I could not have said it better myself. As good as everyone else is, Shepard totally steals the picture with his calm, cool and understated performance. Seeing how Yeager worked closely with the production, one has to wonder if that is what he is really like. I like to think he is.

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2013

The movie was great but it could`ve been a a true classic if Chuck Yeager was played by Heath Ledger.

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2013

Colonel Chuck Yeager pays a vist to What's My Line?

Judging by Dorothy Kilgallen's huge bee-hive, I would guess this was the mid-1960s but, shockingly, no one on the panel identified him!

Col. Chuck may not have neen Sam Shepard but he was one hot daddy!

by Anonymousreply 3305/07/2013

R33 Wow, its amazing they didnt know who he was. I did a little snooping around and the episode aired in August of 1964. That was some nine months after his crash in the NF-104. He was severely burned in that crash and lost two fingers. If you look closely when he signs in and after he shakes the host's hand, you can see two fingers are smaller. Pretty astounding. He walked away from a fiery crash after flying his plane to the edge of space and a few months later is well enough to appear on a tv show.

The man has BALLS!

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2013

I agree with the posts about SS being classically handsome. I have not seen him in any press recently but did just see the Matthew Mc flick "Mud." He's in it and was completely unrecognizable. I'm not sure if it was make up or the real deal. The only reason I recognized him was from a scene shot in his characters house and there's a framed pic/headshot of his from the 80s that sitting on a desk or table.

by Anonymousreply 3505/07/2013

What a bunch of pudknockers!

Loved the movie's colorful dialog.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2013

That's funny, R19. I first saw the film in 1986. Next day my cat had kittens, and the one I kept I named Deke.

by Anonymousreply 3705/07/2013

This is one of my favorite movies, perfectly cast. Read the book, it's fascinating, then I got Yeager's biography for Christmas that year.

One of the (trumped-up) issues when the movie came out: John Glenn was considering running for President and the movie was giving him "an unfair advantage".

by Anonymousreply 3805/07/2013

WEHT Charles Frank? He was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 3905/08/2013

From Wikipedia:

"The Right Stuff is a 1983 American film adapted from Tom Wolfe's 1979 book The Right Stuff about the test pilots who were involved in high-speed aeronautical research at Edwards Air Force Base as well as those selected to be astronauts for Project Mercury, the United States' first attempt at manned spaceflight."

by Anonymousreply 4005/08/2013

R25 / R40 and your point is...?

by Anonymousreply 4105/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!