Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why don't hospital staff get MSRA and other superbugs yet many patients do get it?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 705/09/2013

because they are healthy, where as patients in the hospital have compromised immune systems or they are on medication that makes it easier for them to get a superbug. For example C diff, which is antibiotic associated diarrhea usually happens as a result of strong antibiotics. Many hospital patients are on strong antibiotics so this puts them at higher risk.

And other superbugs like MRSA and CRE are an example of evolution right before our eyes. The single celled organisms called bacteria are able to quickly evolve and develop resistance to antibiotics.

Antibiotic resistance is a result of overuse of antibiotics. The more we use and especially if it isn't used correctly, the more resistance we breed.

The new antibiotic resistant gonorrhea is an example of this. People with gonorrhea would stop their meds as soon as their symptoms got better. This allowed some of the stronger bacteria to survive and start to evolve a resistance.

Another very dangerous new superbug is called CRE. It will be a major player in the Multidrug resistant antibiotic world.

by Anonymousreply 105/06/2013

A nurse colleague of mine did get MRSA on her arm above her glove line from the hospital.

They actually did DNA sequencing to prove it was the same bacteria from the patient so she could get worker's comp because of it.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2013

Plus they wash their hands constantly!

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2013

A friend of mine is was married to a doctor and she got MSRA on her arm.

They were in the midst of a divorce when she got it. The attorney was convinced the doctor had intentionally infected her with it.

She didn't think so until an examination was done and they could see where a syringe mark had been.

It's a big huge mess now.

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2013

"The single celled organisms called bacteria are able to quickly evolve and develop resistance to antibiotics."

That wasn't what I learned in The Selfish Gene. It's the odd mutations that have resistance to the antibiotics that end up reproducing and dominating the gene pool because they are resistant.

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

Patients very often get MRSA from bedsores...if the nurses fail to move the patients around, then they can be at risk.

by Anonymousreply 605/09/2013

I think your premise is flawed.

by Anonymousreply 705/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.