Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I just started watching old eps of Maude on YouTube

That show is dated as HELL. The alcoholism episode where he hit her -- can you even imagine that airing now?

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 5305/24/2013

It aired close to 40 yrs ago. What was your first clue that it was dated?

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 105/06/2013

Other shows like Bob Newhart from around the same time still play well today because the humor wasn't "topical" - I think that's what OP means.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 205/06/2013

"The alcoholism episode where he hit her -- can you even imagine that airing now?"

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying a man hitting a woman would never be aired now? That happens plenty. Of course, the subject of alcoholism is treated differently now, but I don't understand why you think that particular episode would be so "dated."

When "Maude" first came out it was considered groundbreaking and original; it was the first tv show where a woman on a sitcom had an abortion. That was considered quite a big deal then, emphasis on THEN. The show was made decades ago and it was a Norman Lear show, heavy on politics and social commentary. Of course it's going to look like a relic now.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 305/06/2013

Maybe the problem isn't that Maude is dated as much as it is that most commercial TV now is risk-free, empty crap.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 405/06/2013

Problem with Maude is it was too preachy. Every. Single. Episode. was a "very special episode." At that time, it was a way to spread info about social issues but in today's world it seems really antiquated.

The other reason it looks dates is that 50 year old women don't look ancient anymore. Compare Maude to today's 50 year old woman (Demi Moore).

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 505/06/2013

But why did she stay with a man who punched her lights out??? It was unrealistic, how peppy and completely unaffected she was by it -- even if alcoholism was misunderstood in 1973.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 605/06/2013

More groundbreaking than Maude's abortion, was Monroe's rape on Too Close For Comfort.

Now THAT was groundbreaking. And JJB turned in an Emmy-worty performance. Bravo, sir.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 705/06/2013

R5, they started making her look younger and more glamorous as the seasons went on. But yes, that first season, it's shocking to think she's only supposed to be, what, 47?

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 805/06/2013

The abortion ep was groundbreaking but the show does seem beyond dated.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 905/06/2013

"ut why did she stay with a man who punched her lights out??? It was unrealistic, how peppy and completely unaffected she was by it -- even if alcoholism was misunderstood in 1973."

What was "unrealistic" about it? Lots of women stay with men who hit them. As for the Maude character, well, she seemed like a pretty tough bird, which is why she rebounded quickly. She loved Walter; she forgave him because she knew he didn't mean it, that it was the alcoholism that caused him to lose control. If I recall it correctly, he lost his temper, hit her, and then realizing what he had done, began to weep with remorse and shame. Maude tries to comfort him: "everything's going to be alright." It seemed pretty realistic to me.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1005/06/2013

[quote]That show is dated as HELL.

I was thinking the same thing recently when I saw Gone With The Wind. That stuff just wouldn't happen today. I don't see why anyone would watch it.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1105/06/2013

At least it was preachy AND funny, unlike Designing Women.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1205/06/2013

I still love the show dated as it was.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1305/06/2013

Hitting women is timeless

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1405/07/2013

Only the first few seasons were very topical. If you watch the episodes from the middle-to-later years they were less issues-oriented and more straight comedy.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1505/07/2013

The writing is light years ahead of any sitcom airing today, it's all kinds of comedy - physical, character-driven, topical, satire...

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1605/07/2013

I always think of the episode where the mother (Maude's friend) won't release her daughter's inheritance to her as an ugly episode. I have no idea why. It's not taking on some hard-hitting issue but it's a tough episode.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1705/07/2013

"Maude" also has a slew of interesting guest stars, Marcia Rodd, Jill Clayburgh, Jimmy Coco, Helen Page Camp, Barbara Rush, John Wayne, Henry Fonda. Not to mention the fab musical shows where the great Bea gets to sing. Her version of "You're Gonna Hear From Me" is definitive.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1805/07/2013

I love the theme song. The late Donny Hathaway sang it and orchestrated it, but he did not write the lyrics.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 1905/07/2013

I like to watch Adrienne Barbeau's enthusiastic go-go dancing. Hoopy!

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2005/07/2013

Don't like watching Conrad B. as a "regular person" - he's Mr. D. to me.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2105/07/2013

The funniest thing about it is that Maude and Walter are supposed to be protestants.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2205/07/2013

Anyone know why they switched the actor who played Maude's grandson Phillip midway through the run? Phillip II looked nothing like the first.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2305/07/2013

Conrad Bain's character may have not been as rioch as Mr. D, but he was hardly a regular guy. He was a rich, country club Republican.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2405/07/2013

"Maude" was a topical TV show, it discussed what was then current, it was groundbreaking for it's time, which is why it's dated today.

[quote]I was thinking the same thing recently when I saw Gone With The Wind. That stuff just wouldn't happen today. I don't see why anyone would watch it.

I know this was sarcasm but, "Gone with the Wind" isn't dated. It's a period piece that holds up today. A movie like "Love Story" is dated.

[quote]At least it was preachy AND funny, unlike Designing Women.

Hear, hear. "Designing Women" and "Murphy Brown" don't hold up at all today, unlike "The Golden Girls".

"Designing Women" was never funny.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2505/07/2013

R12 R25 Turn in your gay cards!

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2605/07/2013

I'm currently avoiding my class readings by trolling YouTube. I stumbled upon this gay bar ep of Maude from 1977. Preachy, yes, but I'm actually really impressed.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2705/22/2013

Your opinion, R25, and one many of us don't share.

I agree that Murphy Brown is a bit more dated, and any show risks dating itself when it really delves into the culture or politics of its time.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2805/22/2013

R4, there was an opinion column in today's NYT about this very condition.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 2905/22/2013

R23 - It's not unusual to change actors that play kids, especially when their roles are minor.

How many Bobby's has Mad Men had?

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3005/23/2013

Another version of the theme song

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3105/23/2013

R23 Did a google search and the first actor was on the show 5 years and the replacement only did 1 year. According to this he was replaced because he turned 15 in real life and was too tall for the role.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3205/23/2013

"Maude" was groundbreaking in that she's a very tough, opinionated, stereotype shattering woman. The only sitcom that came near that before was "Hazel"

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3305/23/2013

The "Francie" episode where she adopts a black kid temporarily was on recently (starring Tamu, who still works in the industry, maybe not acting anymore). Holds up, funny, and when Bea tells her off, it's funny and touching. Which a lot of the shows are. Another classic is the Ingmar Bergman-esque one where Maude & Walter are getting ready for a party and they slag off all of the people who will be at the party. Funny and a bit Joan Didion-John Updike as well.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3405/23/2013

All TV shows age. Even "I Love Lucy'_-it looks very bizarre now when Ricky puts Lucy over his knee and tries to spank her.

As for "The Golden girls"--well, if you're going to tell me those hideous sherbet-colored caftans they always are wearing haven't aged, you're insane.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3505/23/2013

I like Maude a helluva lot more than I Love Lucy and I like Bea Arthur more than Lucille Ball.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3605/23/2013

Here's my gay card, Ray Don.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3705/23/2013

The Season 5 Episode 1 "Vivian's First Funeral" is my favorite. It is hysterical. So many memorable moments. Arthur's wife's brooch is on the body.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3805/23/2013

[quote] "Designing Women" was never funny.

DW was very funny in its first few years. It lost its way with the cast changes, and while Julia's rants were funny and clever at first, they wore thin as time went on.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 3905/23/2013

r38, that is by far the funniest episode of the series.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4005/23/2013

[quote]DW was very funny in its first few years. It lost its way with the cast changes, and while Julia's rants were funny and clever at first, they wore thin as time went on.

I never found it funny, even at the beginning, I only found it irritating. But, I'd rather drink soup with a fork than watch one of the episodes from the last two seasons.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4105/23/2013

The episode "Vivian's Party" is hysterical, too.

From about 2:00 the sparring between Maude, Vivian, Walter and Arthur is classic.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4205/23/2013

Did you see the one where Rue has a facelift. She's as gorgeous as Princess Grace. That nose job really saved her. Better than her original too Native American knows she was born with. Just a beauty with those high cheekbones. The nose job elevated her to supreme attractiveness.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4305/23/2013

We don't watch it then.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4405/23/2013

Vivians first funeral McDonalds Funeral Home

Maude: Mr Mcdonald...Ronald!

The funeral home played " The Girl From Ipanema".

Vivian: Oh Maude, she looks so content! Maude: She should, she's wearing your brooch!

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4505/23/2013

I wrote about this in my blog. San Francisco 1972... Ritch Street Heatlh Club. (Baths). The entire place would empty into the big TV room to watch Maude. It was buddy night and the place was packed. As soon as it was over, it was back to sex!

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4605/23/2013

I was boarding with this woman and her husband in the woods. She only watched Maude. Only time the TV was turned on. She and Maude were going through menopause together. I sat in the TV audience once and commented on the set to the producer. Bea Arthur Sometimes it got bogged down with topical issues. When they were bickering it was great.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4705/23/2013

"Alright Arthur, alright alright! I will get you back your damned broach! (A beat) But I am not having a good time here."

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4805/24/2013

Great cast, totally memorable characters, they are in sync with each other and this show beats "Seinfeld" in every way.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 4905/24/2013

"Who CARES, Walter, WHO CARES?"

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 5005/24/2013

Hermione Gingold as Mrs. Nagatuck is classic. The ep. where she gets her own apt. so she can knit and watch "Tony Orlando & Dawn" is hysterical.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 5105/24/2013

Very funny show. Topical. Great cast. Bea Arthur is fab.

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 5205/24/2013

Hermione Baddeley

by Don Draper's unzipped flyreply 5305/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.