Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Al Gore calls oil sands in Canada an 'open sewer'

In an interview published Saturday in The Globe and Mail, Mr. Gore said the oil-sands boom and pipeline debate “ultimately … hurts Canada.”

He added that this country’s “resource curse” has led to “damage to some extremely beautiful landscapes, not to mention the core issue of adding to the reckless spewing of pollution into the Earth’s atmosphere as if it’s an open sewer.”

by Anonymousreply 6205/21/2013

Al Gore is a turd.

American Oil Companies overwhelmingly own and force Canadian Oil sands exploitation to produce petrol, which is 95% sold back to the USA.

Canada is Americans gas can, whether it wants to be or not. Canadian do not have a say this. The NAFTA agreement specifically prohibits Canadian Government interference in any Oil Sands regulation in Canada.

Al Gore blames Canada....Al Gore a cliche stupid American, who gives all "left wing" Americans a bad reputation.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2013

He's right. I can't wait for all you tar sands/fracking enthusiasts to allow them to poison your homes and towns.

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2013

He's right

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2013

Yes, he is right. He is not commenting on who is responsible but rather the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2013

It's interesting how just the name "Al Gore" sets certain people frothing at the mouth.

OP, you might like to review your reading comprehension skills: "open sewer" is a reference to the earth's atmosphere, not the oil sands.

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2013

Tar sands. Canada is so beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2013

R11 those are Gore's own words.

Question: Have the OIL-SANDS BOOM and pipeline debates affected Canadian-U.S. relations?

Answer: Yes, and I think that ultimately it hurts Canada. The so-called resource curse is most often understood in the context of small nations whose revenue streams are dominated by the exploitation of a single resource.

It’s a bit more complex than that with Canada, but the resource curse has multiple dimensions and [that includes] damage to some extremely beautiful landscapes, not to mention the core issue of adding to the reckless spewing of pollution into the Earth’s atmosphere as if it’s AN OPEN SEWER.

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2013

I am Canadian and I agree with him.

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2013

As with most things: He Is Not Wrong.

I hate that people dismiss anything he says just because he's the one saying it. Such intellectually lazy and dishonest people really need to just shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 1605/07/2013

Gore is right.

by Anonymousreply 1805/07/2013

Thank you for proving my point, R17.

You're an idiot. There is so much wrong in what you posted it's not even funny... not to mention gross exaggerations.

You're an idiot. Al Gore is not.

by Anonymousreply 1905/07/2013

Yes, OP/R14, I understand that those are Al Gore's words. Read it again.

"the reckless spewing of pollution into the Earth’s atmosphere as if it [i.e., THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE"] is AN OPEN SEWER."

That's what an open sewer is: something you pollute into. The passage doesn't make sense otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 2105/07/2013

At this point I have to think that Al Gore is an Oil Company undercover, speaking in the environmental movement. A real clown to make all environmentalists look bad by association.

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2013

R20 is a brainwashed moron, spewing garbage. Wow.

Talk about a FOXNews moron.

Exhibit A.

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2013

R20 is a cut and paste from rightwing sites, including the joke rightwing Canadian tabloid the Toronto Sun and it also appears on "Lucianne.com" that gross woman from the Clinton-Monica Lewinsky days. It is 100% pure propaganda from the oil companies. SHUT UP AND LET US DESTROY THE ENVIRONMENT! DON'T ANYONE SAY ANYTHING! ANYONE THAT SAYS ANYTHING IS BAD!

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2013

They hate him because he is a credible figure and brought attention to the problem of the destruction of the enivronment.

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2013

R25, it's not Al Gore doing harm here.

And it's FOX News that is lying and exaggerating about him in an attempt to discredit his very real claims (and they're paid millions by those causing most of the problems Al Gore highlights... duh, follow the money)

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2013

I live in Fort McMurray, Alberta, and the oil sands have both made and ruined this town. It's full of rednecks, drug dealers, and white trash. It's a very rich economy,but the price is the lost beauty of the landscape and the depletion of so much wildlife.

I have to be here for business, but really, it's a scary place. You can't so much as go out to the grocery store without some shady character coming up to you offering you a drug deal.

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2013

Interesting, R28. I don't think I have ever read that in the news.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2013

No, R30. The true pieces of shit are those that lied you into believing that.

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2013

r20 = utter and complete horseshit from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2013

R31 thanks for your insight...piss drinker.

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2013

His statement is correct, whether he is a hypocrite or not.

by Anonymousreply 3505/07/2013

R35 is right, his statement is correct whether he is a hypocrite or not.

Guess what, R33, all of the superrich do that stuff. But I guess you like the ones that do all of that and do not say anything serious about anything. You prefer the ones that are obsessed with money and profit 24/7 and do not give a thought about anything else.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2013

Only stupid people think Al Gore is a hypocrite (proof of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing").

by Anonymousreply 3805/07/2013

R21 then why not write a letter to the editors at the Globe and Mail for a misleading headline?

by Anonymousreply 3905/07/2013

wow, I've never seen so many right wing cretins on DL before, it's kind of amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4005/07/2013

Do you have anything better to do than to dream up elaborate and unlikely conspiracy theories, R41?

by Anonymousreply 4205/08/2013

Do you still think Saddam Hussein had a vast arsenal of Weapons of Mass Destruction, R42, and that if we hadn't invaded Iraq we would have seen mushroom clouds in our cities?

Do you still think the oil revenues are going to pay for the invasion?

by Anonymousreply 4305/08/2013

R43, you're making no goddamned sense at all. Where the hell did you pull that shit from? How does that relate to what I said at all? Are you stupid?

R44 is a fucking brainwashed right-wing FOXNews watching moron.

by Anonymousreply 4505/08/2013

[quote]Where the hell did you pull that shit from? How does that relate to what I said at all? Are you stupid?

Perhaps when you accuse other people of being "conspiracy theorists," you should remember that those in power really DO conspire to deceive us, as they certainly did over the non-existent threat of WMDs in Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 4605/08/2013

R46, replace "people in power" with "republicans" and you have a point.

And you're a fucking moron, R47.

by Anonymousreply 4805/09/2013

Al Gore is a war criminal?

Now that's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

by Anonymousreply 5005/09/2013

Gore's nothing but a sleazy, fat fraud!

by Anonymousreply 5105/09/2013

No, R51... you're thinking of Rush Limbaugh. Or Glen Beck. Or Sean Hannity. Or ...

by Anonymousreply 5205/09/2013

No, I'm thinking of Fat Albert

by Anonymousreply 5305/09/2013

Wow, Al Gore is not in any political job anymore for almost a decade. Yet the vitriol here is hyperbolic.

That only comes from bitter haters who cant accept the fact that people are right and know deep down inside they are wrong.

Otherwise it would not be a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 5405/09/2013

Al Gore hate is every bit as ill-informed and irrational as Barack Obama hate.

by Anonymousreply 5505/09/2013

R56 = retarded irrational hater

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2013

Repeating what I said at R11:

[quote]It's interesting how just the name "Al Gore" sets certain people frothing at the mouth.

It's way out of proportion to his actual accomplishments or anything he's said or done. It's obvious that hatred of Al Gore is being stirred up by somebody - Fox? - backed, no doubt, by the energy industry.

by Anonymousreply 5805/09/2013

Soreloserman ALERT

Have another twinkie, Al

by Anonymousreply 5905/09/2013

Wow, Datalounge's libertarians are particularly delusional. All I can say is that I grew up in a family of poisonous, treasonous, hateful conservatives who were heavily into Ayn Rand...and they had serious mental health diagnoses. Paranoid and anti-social personality disorders, mostly.

Now you really should go find love...as Ayn said "if you deserve it!"...in some other marketplace.

by Anonymousreply 6005/10/2013

I've always found the animosity directed at Al Gore to be puzzling. He's never actually done or said anything to deserve it, really. Well, beyond bringing up uncomfortable topics that powerful people feel 'threatened' by...

So many gullible sheep just love to pile on, though...

Why is it that generally good and decent people are always shit on by so many. MLK Jr was hated/smeared... Ghandi... Jesus... Not saying Al Gore is in their company, just that it seems to be consistent throughout history that those who try to offer up a vision for a better world get viciously attacked and smeared (up to the point of being murdered). Obama is another example.

And yet the bad guys seem to get off scott free and live forever (witness Bush, Cheney, Rove, the Koch Brothers, and more)

R61 is a perfect example of the irrational, unreasonable, unwarranted slams. Wrong in every single critique. But so arrogantly SURE of themselves being right, and Al Gore being wrong... which is of course the opposite of what is actually true.

by Anonymousreply 6205/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.