Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Inside The LC

Let’s suppose, hypothetically speaking, that it’s around 1967, and you have recently arrived in Laurel Canyon and now find yourself fronting a band that is on the verge of taking the country by storm. Just a mile or so down Laurel Canyon Boulevard from you lives another guy who also recently arrived in Laurel Canyon, and who also happens to front a band on the verge of stardom. He happens to be married to a girl that you attended kindergarten with, and her dad, like yours, was involved in atomic weapons research and testing, her husband’s dad, meanwhile, is involved in another type of WMD research: chemical warfare.

This other guy’s business partner/manager is a spooky ex-Marine who just happens to have a cousin who, bizarrely enough, also fronts a rock band on the verge of superstardom. And this third rock-star-on-the-rise also happens to live in Laurel Canyon, just a mile or two from your house. Just down a couple of other streets, also within walking distance of your home, live two other kids who – wouldn’t you know it? – also happen to front a new rock band. These two kids happened to attend the same Alexandria, Virginia high school that you attended, and one of them also attended Annapolis, just like your dad did, and just like your kindergarten friend’s dad did.

Though almost all of you hail from (or spent a substantial portion of your childhood in) the Washington, D.C. area, you now find yourselves on the opposite side of the country, in an isolated canyon high above the city of Los Angeles, where you are all clustered around a secret military installation. Given his background in research on atomic weapons, your father is probably familiar to some extent with the existence and operations of Lookout Mountain Laboratory, as is the father of your kindergarten friend, and probably the fathers of a few other Laurel Canyon figures as well.

My question here, I guess, is this: what do you suppose the odds are that all of that just came together purely by chance?

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2013

Interesting. Kinda spooky. But counterculture as a product of the Illuminati?

by Anonymousreply 105/06/2013

We've done this topic before here, but it's still fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2013

It is certainly not by chance. Cohen probably made them all, just like Pat Robertson made all the "leaders" of the Christian Right. That's how the world works: small groups run it. "The Sociology of Philosophies: A Global Theory of Intellectual Change" notes how it works in the world of ideas, but it is the same thing. That all these groups are descended from the military makes dark suggestions to you, but probably not all of the phenomena were planned by the military. Some, like the rise of the evangelicals, undoubtedly were planned. But it is difficult to see how rock bands could help with mind control, especially given what happened to them. Of course, it may have been a failed experiment. Remember that military aerospace was very much the biggest and most important industry in L.A. in the late 1960's.

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2013

Wow. I had no idea about any of this. This really fucks with my head about what I thought the late 60's early 70's music scene was about and how it all came about. Always thought Laural Canyon was this cool laid back place at the time and like attracted like and that was how it all came about.

I've only read the first couple of chapters but this is amazing stuff. Thanks for posting this OP.

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2013

Read a few chapters, now that I'm home, so I'm bumping for the evening readers. This is really interesting and as much as I can check most of this seems to be true. Anyone have any other info on this?

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

I noticed when I was back in the music scene that people move into places in groups, most likely like this group. And they get friends who get friends and get popular, it's weird but think of Dave Matthews for instance. No talent but tons of fans. Or the Grateful Dead, talentless but tons of fans.

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2013

If they're so brilliant, how come that web page fucking sucks dead horse cocks?

HTML 101, asswipes.

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013

[quote]... the Grateful Dead, talentless but tons of fans.

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2013

Very few of these musicians came from "normal" or moderate beginnings. Joni Mitchell, maybe. The others were either the products of abusive military parents - Jim Morrison, John Phillips - who deactivated publicly, using the tools of manipulation that were demonstrated to them, or they were rich kids with plenty of time to rehearse.

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2013

Oh, is this the story of how Jim Morrison's, John Phillips', and David Crosby's fathers created the counterculture, how letting us be hippies was the way the military-industrial-complex controlled '60s kids? What a great story.

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2013

This is not surprising. Who has more time to fuck around with a band than kids of upper middle class privilege? Spare me the bullshit about them being abused by their military daddies and how it made them write beautiful music. They had time to practice music, they had the money to play music and they got lucky.

None of them ever worked a day in their lives and certainly none of them ever suffered.

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2013

So all these people were children of military people when they just happened to belong to a generation that was parented by a shit-ton of WWII veterans. SO WHAT?

How exactly did Jim Morrison help the military-industrial complex by recording "The Unknown Soldier"?

Was John Phillips raping his daughter part of the government's big plan?

If David Crosby was some high-level Mason with a magical rich/powerful bloodline why did he have to do jail time for his drugs/weapons issues?

And on what planet would Frank Zappa be properly described as "rigidly authoritarian"? Because testifying before Congress against a music censorship effort led by a politician's wife makes him a tool of the establishment? WTF?

Also... at what point can we move on from the hippie bullshit. All these people in this article, if not dead, will have been on Medicare for years.

Gimme some conspiracy theories about the Seattle music scene and how that enabled the passage of NAFTA and establishment of WTO or something. I mean I'm pretty sure Dave Grohl went to high school in the D.C. area. And thus it's entirely possible like most children of the D.C. area that his parents may have worked for the government!!

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2013

The absolute LAST thing the military industrial complex would do is foster a counter-culture. Everything the power elite has done for the last 40 plus years is to prevent another 60's culture--starting with the elimination of a middle class and cheap education for all.

I can't fathom the fear in a mind that needs every phenomena to be some pre-planned event made possible by god, satan, the lizard people, or whatever power structure ultimately makes them think that shit doesn't just happen-- it is a carefully laid out master plan.

Sometimes the level of crazy in some conspiracy theories is very entertaining, but a lot of the time it's just sad that people would rather mentally masturbate to this shit than actually deal with real problems in a real world way.

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2013

R12 and R13= idiots.

The truth will set us all free, but for 70 years one part of society has been exempt from this rule.

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2013

r3 who is also r14: Looney tunes who eats up disinformation like a dung beetle collects shit.

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2013

No, sadly R14, not the case. Naturally, most conspiracy theories are wrong because conspiracies are by nature secret. Nonetheless, it is clear that the real story of what happens in society almost always involves a conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 1605/09/2013

Really, the most striking thing about remarkable coincidences are how very commonplace they are.

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2013

Sorry, [italic] is [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!