and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

2013 Met Ball, Bitches! "PUNK: Chaos To Couture"

Confirmed guests:

Michael Kors is taking Jennifer Lopez

• Valentino is taking Gwyneth Paltrow

• Dior is taking Jennifer Lawrence and Marion Cotillard

• Alexander Wang is taking Julianne Moore for Balenciaga

• Tommy Hilfiger is hosting at his table and dressing (with a little help from Trash & Vaudeville) a very motley crew including Debbie Harry, Nicki Minaj, Zooey Deschanel, Lily Aldridge, screenwriter Jamie Linden, music publicist Jason Weinberg, musician Marky Ramone with wife Marion, actress Thalia Mottola, music executive Tommy Mottola, and Kings of Leon lead vocalist Caleb Followill

• Rodarte’s Kate and Laura Mulleavy are taking Elle and Dakota Fanning (Aw, sisters!)

• Joseph Altuzarra is taking Allison Williams (who started doing research in March)

• Brian Atwood is taking Elizabeth Banks

• Christopher Kane is taking Stella Tennant • Nina Ricci’s Peter Copping is taking Carolyn Murphy

• Diane Von Furstenberg is taking Emma Roberts. Kate Upton will also be sitting at the designer’s table

• Tory Burch is taking Jessica Alba

• Topshop is taking Jaime King and Julianne Hough

• Kenzo’s Humberto Leon and Carol Lim are taking Solange Knowles

• Anthony Vaccarello is taking Gisele Bundchen

• Riccardo Tisci is taking fellow co-chair Rooney Mara

• Burberry is taking (rumored new face) Sienna Miller

• Peter Pilotto is taking Brooklyn Decker

• Samsung is taking Psy (Yes, Psy.)

• Saint Laurent is taking Greta Gerwig (we hear)

• John Galliano is not attending, even though his designs are featured in the exhibit. “One step at a time,” Galliano’s publicist Liz Rosenberg told the New York Post, when asked about whether the designer would attend the gala, adding, “and that’s one huge mother f – - kin’ staircase.” (We bow down Liz!)

• J.Mendel is taking Chanel Iman

• Vivienne Westwood is taking Lily Cole

• Mindy Kaling is going with Allure and wearing Lela Rose (watch out for her tweets because if they’re anything like her fake ones from New York Fashion Week, they’re gonna be good)

• Suzy Menkes is wearing vintage Zandra Rhodes

• Lena Dunham will be wearing custom Erdem

• Diane Kruger will be wearing Chanel Haute Couture (and Joshua Jackson will NOT be wearing a mohawk)

• Gwen Stefani will wear custom Maison Martin Margiela

• Anna Wintour and January Jones will both be wearing Chanel

Some other people that have been confirmed per jimshi809's twitter: Kirsten Dunst, Michelle Williams (both in Chanel), Kate Bosworth, Kristen Stewart in Nicolas Ghesquiere...

by Anonymousreply 14705/08/2013

Other people confirmed: Kerry Washington

Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake

Frank Ocean

Madonna

Karolina Kurkova in Mary Katrantzou

Amanda Seyfried in Givenchy

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley with pink hair

Heidi Klum

Alexa Chung

Eddie Redmayne

Taylor Swift

Carey Mulligan confirmed for Chanel makeup

Ginnifer Goodwin in Tory Burch

Miley Cyrus in Marc Jacobs (oy)

Bella Heathcote in Chanel Haute Couture SS13

by Anonymousreply 105/06/2013

Isn't Beyonce the honorary hostess or some such ridiculous honor? Weird choice for a Punk theme. That said, knowing the theme I can't wait to see what people wear.

Also, do the designers always take a starlet as a date? Maybe they always have, I've just never seen the list.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2013

There's a glaring omission! Did her dress faux pas at the Oscars piss off the entire industry?

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2013

[quote]Alexa Chung

Who the fuck invited this hoarse-voiced nobody?

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

I'm assuming you are referring to Kristen Stewart, R3. She will be there.

Kristen Stewart in Nicolas Ghesquiere...

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2013

Kim K will be there with Kanye. I guess Anna Wintour lost that battle.

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013

Saint Laurent is dead, how can he take anyone?

This show (ball) has turned into a B-list celebrity event. Too bad- it was much more fun in the 70s and 80s. But then there is really nothing left of good ol decadent and stylish New York society.

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2013

R6 - Now I remember that there was criticism about Stewart's dress and overall styling. But meant AnnE. She freaked out and ditched the gown she was supposed to wear because her co-star was wearing a similar design. I can't remember who the original designer was, but they had some type of an agreement and she wore another one at the last moment. She even released a statement afterwards.

It's odd that a recent Oscar winner/attention whore isn't on the list.

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2013

Yeah, AnnE ditched Valentino to wear Prada and then dissed Prada. Even with that kerfuffle, if she wanted to attend, some designer would dress her. She could still show up. She's in NYC right now.

But, it's B-list/C-list show at best now.

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2013

From @dkny Ladies & Gents! Emmy Rossum, Hailee Steinfeld, Naomie Harris & Jennifer Morrison will all wear one-of-a-kind #DonnaKaranAtelier #METGala

by Anonymousreply 1105/06/2013

There is nothing punk about any of this. Sid Vicious, Stiv Bators and GG Allen are spinning in their graves.

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2013

And another failed attempt to make Julianne Hough a star. What kind of insane PR machine is behind this bitch?

by Anonymousreply 1305/06/2013

Poor Madonna's popularity has declined so much that she's attending C-lister events now.

by Anonymousreply 1405/06/2013

Katy Perry will wearing Dolce and Gabbana (she'll go to the opening of an envelope).

by Anonymousreply 1505/06/2013

Joe Manganiello will be in John Varvatos

by Anonymousreply 1605/06/2013

Don't Tom and Giselle ALWAYS come to this? Last year she was looking manlier than ever and he wore velvet tuxedo pumps with bows on!

by Anonymousreply 1705/06/2013

I have no idea why any straight man would want to go to one of these, unless they are dragged by their gf, wife or publicist.

by Anonymousreply 1805/06/2013

Debbie Harry is punk.

Aside from Frank Ocean and her, this guest list is beyond weak. I'm stunned Madonna is attending given that GOOP will be in the same room, and we all know what a vicious backstabber she was to Madonna.

And why is GOOP still pretending she's some fashion icon. When can we finally say she isn't?

by Anonymousreply 2005/06/2013

I can't wait to see who looks like the biggest fool with a Mohawk.

Michael Kors is taking Jennifer Lopez. Who will be fake oranger?

by Anonymousreply 2105/06/2013

R20, AND Sandra Bernhard will be there, as she has posted on FB. Cat fight!!

by Anonymousreply 2205/06/2013

Rooney Mara

by Anonymousreply 2305/06/2013

Jamie Lannister is there!

by Anonymousreply 2405/06/2013

Looks like everybody ignored the punk theme.

by Anonymousreply 2505/06/2013

Meth Ball

by Anonymousreply 2605/06/2013

Ivanka Trump is there? Will she be stoned because of her father? This is a very gay-friendly crowd, while she is one of the biggest homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 2705/06/2013

Ha Ha! Kim Kardashian is big as a house. I think Wintour only invited her because she knew Kardashian would look terrible and Wintour's that kind of bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2805/06/2013

Kim looks like she's wearing somebody's sofa.

by Anonymousreply 2905/06/2013

Miley Cyrus looked hot. January Jones' makeup was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 3005/06/2013

AnnE will not be attending because she will be entering rehab soon for her recent drug problems.

by Anonymousreply 3105/06/2013

Madge

by Anonymousreply 3205/06/2013

AnnE as a blonde! Valentino is orange!

by Anonymousreply 3305/06/2013

The Met's Live at the Red Carpet is ridiculous. No one is wearing anything remotely punk, Wintour is in a floral Chanel gown. Miley Cyrus is actually the most punk so far.

by Anonymousreply 3405/06/2013

Rich people have no idea what punk is.

by Anonymousreply 3505/06/2013

R14, this is not a C-list event. This is a big deal. Madge has attended several times before.

by Anonymousreply 3605/06/2013

Goop is wearing another Pepto Bismol disaster.

by Anonymousreply 3705/06/2013

Everyone in fashion should die.

by Anonymousreply 3805/06/2013

Why is Nicole Richie's hair pure white?

by Anonymousreply 3905/06/2013

Who is Marc Jacobs bringing?

by Anonymousreply 4005/06/2013

Just checked out some of the pics - can't believe how bad everyone looks this year! What's with the batwing eye makeup on some of the women. Amanda Seyfried wore a sofa slipcover.

r33 is that AnnE this year or an old photo? She actually looks good blonde. Must have dyed it for the indie pic she's currently filming. A big change for her, I give her credit for showing up in it.

Nicole Ritchie wow. Give her credit for trying to be daring anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4105/06/2013

Kerry Washington...

by Anonymousreply 4205/06/2013

It's all a little over the top, but I the Met Ball is still one of the most desirable invite s in all of NYC.

Gay men live and die for a chance to attend such a prominent event.

by Anonymousreply 4305/06/2013

Uma Thurman has gotten back in shape fairly quickly after giving birth.

by Anonymousreply 4405/06/2013

Kerry Washington is wearing Vera Wang.

by Anonymousreply 4505/06/2013

AnnE doesn't have the face for that hair. It reminds me of when Julia Roberts went blonde. I like what I can see of her dress.

by Anonymousreply 4605/06/2013

AnnE's dress

by Anonymousreply 4705/06/2013

want to add, Goop looks fucking AWFUL in that dress. wtf was she thinking? I see the Olsens didn't disappoint this year, just as frumpy as ever.

I know DL hates her but AnnE actually steals the show so far, she's looks good in that dress (vintage Valentino - and he's walking in with her not Goop so you know he's forgiven her the Oscar debacle). Her body's banging in it and she's rocking the bleach blonde thing. She's one of the few there sticking somewhat to this year's theme (punk).

I also see she's panty-less here lol. But the dress requires it so ok.

by Anonymousreply 4805/06/2013

I didn't realize Kerry Washington is to tiny. Or that Vera Wang is so tall.

by Anonymousreply 4905/06/2013

The Mohawk look was worn by Sarah Jessica, who looked stunning and embraced the "punk" look.

Jennifer Lawrence looked stunning.

MANY A-List rivalries were there - Jennifer Lopez VS Gwyneth.

And do we still think Darren Criss is straight when he shows up early for the Met Costume Gala?

by Anonymousreply 5005/06/2013

Michael Strahan looked stunning

by Anonymousreply 5105/06/2013

SJP - always on theme

by Anonymousreply 5205/06/2013

Katy Perry is such a twat.

by Anonymousreply 5305/06/2013

Goop looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 5405/06/2013

Last couple of links didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 5505/06/2013

Katy wearing the Burger King crown.

by Anonymousreply 5605/06/2013

Holy living fuck

by Anonymousreply 5705/06/2013

WTF is Tom Brady wearing?

by Anonymousreply 5805/06/2013

Are the arrivals over yet?

by Anonymousreply 5905/06/2013

Madonna is owning the red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 6005/06/2013

Lord, I want Tom Brady in me so deeply.

by Anonymousreply 6105/06/2013

Jlaw

by Anonymousreply 6205/06/2013

Kristen Stewart looks gross, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 6305/06/2013

The Tom Brady/Gisele photo could be that scene from Annie Hall:

[italic]Alvy Singer: Here, you look like a very happy couple, um, are you?

Gisele: Yeah.

Alvy Singer: Yeah? So, so, how do you account for it?

Gisele: Uh, I'm very shallow and empty and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say.

Tom: And I'm exactly the same way.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 6405/06/2013

Kristen Stewart smiles! Now we know why she doesn't do it very much. Dear god, the stylist matched the eyeshadow to the catsuit thingy she's wearing.

by Anonymousreply 6505/06/2013

Beyonce

by Anonymousreply 6605/06/2013

[quote]Kristen Stewart smiles!

No, she just has gas.

by Anonymousreply 6705/06/2013

Did you all see the guy from Homeland?

by Anonymousreply 6805/06/2013

Anyone knocking my Tommy can fuck off. Your assflaps would burst open like an airplane hangar if he so much as glanced in your direction.

by Anonymousreply 6905/06/2013

Kristen Stewart looks better not smiling. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 7005/06/2013

I did not see a picture of Madonna on the red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 7105/06/2013

SJP looks fabulous. She really pulls off the look and has a sense of fun and whimsy. Love the tartan boots.

by Anonymousreply 7205/06/2013

That's a pretty picture R70. It makes her look like she has a ginormous vag (instead of just being one.)

I just realized how perfect Kim and Kanye are. They achieve about the same super powered level of douche-i-ness and are not inflicting themselves on innocent partners. Sometimes God is kind.

by Anonymousreply 7305/06/2013

[quote]SJP looks fabulous. She really pulls off the look and has a sense of fun and whimsy. Love the tartan boots.

I wish she didn't uncover her underwear!

by Anonymousreply 7405/06/2013

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 7505/06/2013

Sorry bitches, AnnE stole the show, she looks fucking amazing

by Anonymousreply 7605/06/2013

Thanks R75, Madonna LOOKS FABULOUS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7705/06/2013

Ugh, Andy Cohen attended.

by Anonymousreply 7805/06/2013

KURRRRTY PUUURRRY.

by Anonymousreply 7905/06/2013

R73 A match made in douche heaven.

by Anonymousreply 8005/06/2013

kristen stewart has the deadest eyes I've ever seen on an actress.

by Anonymousreply 8105/06/2013

Beyonce looked horrible. That dress! And her weave looked like she pulled it out of the trash.

by Anonymousreply 8205/06/2013

I think Madonna's had work done.

by Anonymousreply 8305/06/2013

Who is Jennifer Goodwin trying to scare?

by Anonymousreply 8405/06/2013

Kristen Stewart's massive vagina pants.

by Anonymousreply 8505/06/2013

Holy Shit Anna Wintour just might be the most ridiculous and useless human on the planet. Did she have a stroke or did she wear this on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 8605/06/2013

Madonna and Donatella Versace. Do they share the same surgeon?

by Anonymousreply 8705/06/2013

"Well I'd like to see some real punks in here, some real street punks. But I doubt they were invited."

-Grace Coddington

by Anonymousreply 8805/06/2013

Christ, Kuntrashian looks horrible. She shoulda stayed the fuck home. If she could be embarrassed she would.

by Anonymousreply 8905/06/2013

Easily the best pics here - including Sienna Miller, Jessica Pare, Linda Evangelista and the Vanessa Redgrave family - not included elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 9005/07/2013

I cannot stand AnnE and I never compliment her--but tonight she owned. Flawless.

by Anonymousreply 9105/07/2013

AnnE looks like a contestant on Ru Paul's Drag Race. I guess since she flashed her snatch now she's going to terrorize us with her saggy boobs. She simply is not sexy. Did her fey husband not help her with this? He must be useful in some capacity. What other point is there being married to a gay man who designs jewelry? Then again, maybe after the Oscar debacle she was at Valentino's mercy and would've worn a shower curtain if he had asked her to.

Looks like someone skinned some granny's couch in order to make Kim K's dress. Horrid.

by Anonymousreply 9205/07/2013

What a wasted opportunity. The theme was wonderous and most of the assholes claim to have been "the weirdo" in school and this is the garbage they wear? Also michsel k photoshpped a grandma sitting on kim kardashian like a couch. I lol'd

by Anonymousreply 9305/07/2013

I thought that SJP and Miley Cyrus looked great. They understood the theme of the evening. Where did everybody else get the idea that that bold, ugly eye makeup fit? It's scary that there were enough makeup artists who thought this and clients who went along.

by Anonymousreply 9405/07/2013

So much second rate trash, it's not even funny. The Mara sisters? Solange Knowles? Jessica Alba? Nicole Ritchie? Lena Dunham? It doesn't help that the certifiable A-listers work dresses that looked like recycled shit (Gwyneth, Anna Wintour, Gisele).

Don't even get me started on those Olsen trolls.

by Anonymousreply 9505/07/2013

LMAO @ Chelsea Clinton!

by Anonymousreply 9605/07/2013

Madonna looks like a cracked out whore. She is so gross.

Jennifer Lawrence looks really drab and uncomfortable. She has become a zombie.

J-Lo and Beyonce phoned in "animal."

It seems more poser than ever. But the absolute worst was January Jones.

by Anonymousreply 9705/07/2013

Harsh Michael: " Kristen Stewart (semi-tried, because looking like an embroidered used tampon is sort of punk rock)"

by Anonymousreply 9805/07/2013

My Tommy was wearing a vest and a brooch!!!! Say what you want but what other man in the manliest sport there is would wear a brooch!!!! Last year he wore velvet slippers with bows!!!! I'm swooning!!!! GET MY FAN!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9905/07/2013

Madonna looks like Pete Burns with that black wig and suit.

by Anonymousreply 10005/07/2013

God help me, but I loved Miley. And, yes, AnnE looked ravishing.

by Anonymousreply 10105/07/2013

[quote]Where did everybody else get the idea that that bold, ugly eye makeup fit? It's scary that there were enough makeup artists who thought this and clients who went along.

Nancy Spungen, for one. She always wore makeup like that.

by Anonymousreply 10205/07/2013

So are Kate Bosworth, Nicole Ritchie, and Jessica Alba high-end prostitutes?

by Anonymousreply 10305/07/2013

Nicole Richie has Lionel money. The rest? Who knows?

Why is Meryl's daughter on Eddie Redmayne's arm?

by Anonymousreply 10405/07/2013

Is Vadge's hair thinning or something? That's the second time she's wore a black wig recently.

by Anonymousreply 10505/07/2013

Did Madonna have fillers done all over her body? She looks inflated and... FAT.

AnnE looked the best and was on theme.

by Anonymousreply 10605/07/2013

What the fuck has Madonna got to with punk? She isnt fit to carry Wendy O Williams chain saw.

by Anonymousreply 10705/07/2013

Valentino is being quite inconsiderate. How are the other women supposed to shine in the presence of the most beautiful woman in the world?

by Anonymousreply 10805/07/2013

Great photos, R90. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 10905/07/2013

[quote]Who is Marc Jacobs bringing?

Sofia Coppola, who apparently equates punk with wearing pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 11005/07/2013

Meryl's daughter got all of the bad features of her mother's face and none of the good.

by Anonymousreply 11105/07/2013

Kristen Stewart should just stay home. She always looks so angry and put out. Probably a function of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 11205/07/2013

I think Kim Kardashian looks MARVELOUS, boo...

by Anonymousreply 11305/07/2013

Madonna is so cringe worthy now it's sad.

by Anonymousreply 11405/07/2013

“Favorite punk song? Um, it’s kind of hard on the spot. Is Goo Goo Dolls considered punk?” —Kimberly Chandler, trophy wife of NY Knicks’ center, Tyson Chandler

“My dog ate a safety pin during the fitting, which is punk.” —Lena Dunham, star of Two Broke Girls or whatever

“I’m embracing the punk. There’s so much punk style in everything we do and wear everyday; we just never have the chance to do it all the way.” —Hanneli Mustaparta, former model/current dummy

“I skipped punk and went straight to couture. I never did punk.” —Andre Leon Talley, editor at large of Vogue/total fucking clown

“The curator of the exhibition told me that the color of punk is pink so I’m in pink by Chanel.” —Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue/woman who gets paid to talk about clothes

“I don’t think I had a punk fashion phase but I think I was definitely a punk.” —Rooney Mara, actress who dressed punk in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

“I did not [have a punk phase]. That’s why I think my version of punk for me is not probably the mohawk, typical punk that you’d sort of envision. A little bit more like ‘romantic punk.’” —Kim Kardashian, notable reality TV shithead

“Punk absolutely was an influence in my life. I grew up in the 80s, right at the end of the 70s. Still very formidable years of my upbringing and existence and it was absolutely formed by punk rock for sure.” —Cameron Diaz, jizz-haired girl from that movie

“I’ve gone through many phases in my life, I think [punk] may have been one briefly.” —Minka Kelly, most obnoxious character on Friday Night Lights

“I feel very elegant but kinda punk rock because it’s leather.” —Jessica Alba, some actress

“I grew up on classic rock and that obviously at some point delves into [punk]. I love the Clash. I like the Sex Pistols. I did a movie called The Runaways that got me a little bit more aware of stuff like that. But the energy of it couldn’t coincide with who I am more.” —Kristen Stewart, Twilight actress/pile of wet laundry

“Tonight for The Met I am channeling the OG queen of PUNK, JOAN of ARC!” —Katy Perry, singer/whipped cream enthusiast

“I love a lot of the music from that time so it’ll be really cool to see what everyone was wearing and see how that’s inspired couture.” —Anne Hathaway, America’s most hated actress

“It’s punk because I’ve gone totally classic on a punk night!” —actress Gwenyth Paltrow on her pink dress

“Who’s not angry when you’re growing up?!” —designer Alexander Wang, on his punk phase

“Punk rock has a unique culture and distinct style that I really admire. Music of all genres has always been a central influence in my designs. I tend to gravitate more toward classic American rock, but I listen to and love punk rock albums from The Ramones and Blondie.” —Tommy Hilfiger, designer of clothes for rappers and white boat owners

“I don’t think I fully understood the theme.” —Kate Upton, human Viagra for Terry Richardson

by Anonymousreply 11505/07/2013

SJP looks like she was sucking on a lemon.

by Anonymousreply 11605/07/2013

SJP's face has caved in on itself. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 11705/07/2013

Everything is beautiful, in its own way.

by Anonymousreply 11805/07/2013

Jesus R115, the fact that Kristen Fucking Stewart's quote was easily the best of that bunch says everything.

by Anonymousreply 11905/07/2013

- Chelsea Clinton is looking more like Eleanor Roosevelt by the day

- Kim Kardashian; I know there isn't anything this woman won't do for attention, but here's your big night and you look like your dress was made by Country Curtains? Also, what gives with her face? She isn't due for another couple of months - why is she so damn puffy?

- Some of the young women clearly got it or at least could carry over the faux punk look; SJP clearly could not. She looked hideous

On a positive note, I thought Lena Dunham looked prettier in that dress than she ever did in recent pictures.

by Anonymousreply 12005/07/2013

[quote]Also, what gives with her face? She isn't due for another couple of months - why is she so damn puffy?

Puffy face is pretty common during pregnancy. It could be a sign of preeclampsia which can be dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 12105/07/2013

Heath Ledger's special friend is hiding in a tent.

by Anonymousreply 12205/07/2013

Kartrashian

by Anonymousreply 12305/07/2013

No, that's Ashley. Heath's drug buddy was Mary Kate.

by Anonymousreply 12405/07/2013

[quote]Puffy face is pretty common during pregnancy.

She seems to be one of those unfortunate pregnant women who gain weight everywhere. That leg she's got sticking out is quite plump.

by Anonymousreply 12505/07/2013

Christina Ricci looked the best

by Anonymousreply 12605/07/2013

2013 Met Ball Best and Worst Dressed List:

Best:

Madonna, Miley Cyrus, SJP, Hathaway Cara Delevingne

Worst:

Chelsea Clinton, Nicki Minaj, Gwen Paltrow, Kristen Stewart, Solange Knowles

by Anonymousreply 12705/07/2013

This just in: Christina Ricci just added to Best Dressed List for 2013 Met Ball.

by Anonymousreply 12805/07/2013

And Madonna moved off to the worst dressed list to accommodate her.

by Anonymousreply 12905/07/2013

OK, I'm young and dumb but will someone tell me what's the difference between Punk & Goth?

by Anonymousreply 13005/07/2013

Stylists and fashion endorsements have ruined everything. Remember Lara Flynn Boyle's cracked out ballerina at the Golden Globes? I would have welcomed something like that at the Ball.

by Anonymousreply 13105/07/2013

Kate Upton

by Anonymousreply 13205/07/2013

Kate Upton looks kind of wide.

by Anonymousreply 13305/07/2013

What a bunch of C-list celebs!

by Anonymousreply 13405/07/2013

Which designer gown was Miss Cillian Murphy wearing?

by Anonymousreply 13505/07/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 13605/07/2013

R126 - Christina looks like she's had a few meals since Pan Am.

by Anonymousreply 13705/07/2013

R130 True punk was a rejection of the over commercialized music scene of the 1970s and incorporated feelings of frustration over the poor economic situation and lack of opportunities for working class youth in England at the time. Its sound with the strong 4/4 beat was influenced by Reggae and there was drive for a raw, unpolished musicianship. One of the reasons punk never took hold in America was because at the time, the disaffected youth here already had a music of their own: namely rap. Goth has a more polished, more produced sound. You would almost never encounter a synthesizer in punk the way you do with Goth and is not tied to the political or social issues. Although goth is a sub-genre of punk, the typical goth song's lyrics are going to be a lot darker and introspective than what you would find in punk.

by Anonymousreply 13805/07/2013

[quote]. One of the reasons punk never took hold in America was because at the time, the disaffected youth here already had a music of their own: namely rap.

The first rap/hip-hop record wasn't released until the late '70s a few years after punk exploded in NYC and the UK.

by Anonymousreply 13905/07/2013

R139 Rap existed for a long time before it actually made it to recording studios. It existed primary underground and at parties.

[quote]Prior to 1979, recorded hip hop music consisted mainly of PA system recordings of parties and early hip hop mixtapes by DJs. Puerto Rican DJ Disco Wiz is credited as the first hip hop DJ to create a "mixed plate," or mixed dub recording, when, in 1977, he combined sound bites, special effects and paused beats to technically produce a sound recording.

Just because white kids in suburbs had not heard it yet doesn't mean it didn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 14005/07/2013

Hah. In R136's linked gif, Marion Cotillard is giving SJP an unamused look up and down and cracks up when Lawrence pops in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 14105/07/2013

Punk has roots in the early '70s.

by Anonymousreply 14205/07/2013

Actually R142, some feel its roots go back even further to bands like The Kinks

by Anonymousreply 14305/07/2013

Kim's stylist added sleeves and gloves to that Givenchy gown because her arms are looking too doughy and fat.

by Anonymousreply 14405/08/2013

Ha! Robin Williams had a similar outfit as Mrs. Doubtfire.

by Anonymousreply 14505/08/2013

MC5 and Velvet Underground were both playing in the mid to late 60s. Punk precedes rap by quite a few years.

by Anonymousreply 14605/08/2013

R146 True, but Im talking about by the time punk broke out, which was about ten years later.

by Anonymousreply 14705/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.