Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Overpriced and [Likely] Not Worth It

As a consumer, what springs to mind as being overly priced and [likely] not worth it?

by Anonymousreply 6805/12/2013

Apple products. All design, no substance. Made for people without critical thinking skills.

by Anonymousreply 105/06/2013

I agree with R1. Apple products are made for iSheep.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2013

Datalounge membership.

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2013

Was going to post, but R1 already said all I was going to.

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2013

1,2 & 4 -- Unix-Microsoft-Android advance liberation army and also total tools.

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

Lamb embryos which are injected in the hopes of stimulating my endocrine system.

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013

Mac OS X is a fully functional Unix operating system. The XCode IDE lets you develop apps for iOS in Objective-C (or the language of your choice). People who think Apple products are "[m]ade for people without critical thinking skills" have no idea what they're even talking about.

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2013

R8 = defensive little thing

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2013

Most if not all luxury cars.

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2013

My twink.

by Anonymousreply 1105/06/2013

Nick Gruber.

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2013

Apple was the first thing to spring to mind.

An iPod seems essential though, there used to be better sounding mp3 players. Is there a viable alternative?

There has been speculation Apple are dropping the iPod, rebooting it or at least not doing the millionth update for once since it accounts for a small fraction of their business. Which I find surprising.

by Anonymousreply 1305/06/2013

Clothes, perfume

by Anonymousreply 1405/06/2013

I kind of feel sorry for people who think $18 is some great sum of money.

by Anonymousreply 1505/06/2013

luxury hotel rooms

by Anonymousreply 1605/06/2013

Movie theater popcorn

Eyeglass frames

Hotel minibar

Plastic surgery

by Anonymousreply 1705/06/2013

Designer toothpaste. When you need to show your trick you have money to burn.

by Anonymousreply 1805/06/2013

The delusional cunt might have fucked off to the wilderness were it not for just the courts and her mother but trainwreck with money Charlie Sheen helping her, amongst others.

by Anonymousreply 1905/06/2013

"Designer" Sunglasses

Furniture

Mattresses

by Anonymousreply 2005/06/2013

I think R19 took a wrong turn (and maybe some meth) at the Lohan thread

by Anonymousreply 2105/06/2013

Purebred dogs

by Anonymousreply 2205/06/2013

Lohan *is* overpriced though, and I doubt she's worth it. So, R19 may be onto something!

by Anonymousreply 2305/06/2013

Fashion.

by Anonymousreply 2405/06/2013

R13, the MP3 player market is essentially dead. Most people just use smart-phones now. While there are still other MP3 players you can find (see anythingbutipod.com ... the Sansa Clip is good, my mom has one), it's a rapidly shrinking product category. Nobody new is getting in, and I doubt any company (even Apple) will put much effort, design, or money into this product category.

Apple in fact will likely replace (or subsume) the category entirely, shortly, with the "smart watch" concept.

by Anonymousreply 2505/06/2013

lol, oops R21. At least it was easy to work out where it came from.

On actual correct topic: Meth faced Lohan's services as a "high class" hooker.

by Anonymousreply 2605/06/2013

News anchors' salaries

by Anonymousreply 2705/06/2013

Yeah R25. I knew that Rio etc was a 10 year ago thing and there was a reason for Apple likely overhauling it but I forgot about smart phones.

If I had a proper one (and it will likely be Samsung S4) I certainly would just go about playing music on my phone like everyone else.

Still, I would like to get the last models if they're phased out.

by Anonymousreply 2805/06/2013

[quote]"Designer" Sunglasses

Someone told me that all the worlds sunglasses are made in one of three factories on the planet. One day they are making $700 designer sunglasses, the next day the same plant is using the same machines and same materials to make $10 sunglasses for Wal Mart. I dont know how true it is, but as I always lose sunglasses, I never pay a lot of money for them.

by Anonymousreply 2905/06/2013

God don't talk to me about that, R20 + R29. :( I lost my designer ones recently (before the summer came in of course) and am heartbroken. If they're designer you are less likely to lose them and I managed to keep mine for a good 5 years.

Nonetheless I was intending on replacing them as the large gold bit on the frame always bothered me. But they just don't do this style for men anymore, not in fashion - oversized, square, dark black. It's all aviators these days. I'd have to import them or something but fuck that.

They definitely are overpriced and unnecessary as the cheap ones look about the same. But that's one designer item I like to have. Love sunglasses, always need them.

by Anonymousreply 3005/06/2013

Designer jeans. I mean the ones that cost more than £75. In fact, most designer leisure wear. I only ever buy stuff like Ted Baker and Penguin in the sales or at discount outlets. You only really get the real quality once stuff is made by tailors.

A lot of branded food is no better than the generic alternative, I've found thanks to becoming a disciple of Aldi. In fact in a lot of cases I prefer it.

Digital books. They should be at least half the price of a paper one, and quite often they're more expensive. That's weird when you consider how much cheaper MP3s are.

Beer in pubs. It really has got to the point where one drink in a bar costs the same as 4 drinks from a shop. In central London anyway. If they don't reverse this trend soon we're going to be left with nothing but soulless gastropubs.

Cinema tickets. No film is worth more than a tenner to see. No wonder everyone waits for it to stream to their living rooms now.

And yes, Apple products. They're simple to use, and I now have to use one every day for work but I wouldn't pay for one myself. It's frustrating that 'getting under the bonnet' is such a clunky experience, from a techie's point of view. I now have an iPhone 5 for work but I still prefer my qwerty HTC Android.

Razorblades! What a scam. I've stuck with the more 90s Gilette Sensor Excel but it still costs £5 every time I want 5 new blades even from the discount store.

Newbuild homes. Almost universally, poky, tiny, poorly-built crap. And yet people still queue up to live in these rabbit hutches. The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 3105/06/2013

R29, one company does almost all sunglasses sold... even though you'll see a dozen (or a thousand) different names. Sunglass Hut is own by the same company as Lens Crafters is owned by the same company as Pearle Vision Centers: "Luxottica". They also do all the "designer" sunglasses, like Channel, Armani, Tiffany, etc.

It's all a huge monopoly.

by Anonymousreply 3205/06/2013

Lulumon shorts - no matter how you may delude yourself into thinking they make your butt look good.

by Anonymousreply 3305/06/2013

Stadium food.

Airport food.

by Anonymousreply 3405/06/2013

Lululemon... she's got the "lemon" part correct at least.

by Anonymousreply 3505/06/2013

Flying first class on flights under 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2013

not worth any amount of money, even one cent: anything that uses Word. Why anyone would willingly use it is absolutely beyond me. It is anti-intuitive, overly complicated and uselessly difficult. But once again, as is often the case in the US, mediocrity triumphs.

by Anonymousreply 3705/07/2013

Household goods have become ridiculously overpriced - from sheets to pots and pans and even small applicances. Since when did we need designer shit to run a house?

I used to be able to buy a set of very nice sheets for a very affordable price at a nice store like the old Garfinkel's in DC and now they have risen to exorbitant prices and they absolutely don't last a fraction of the time and wear the old sheets did.

And I am not spending over $100 for either a new coffeemaker or a handmixer.

Also gigantic TVs - since when did we need a movie theater in our homes? And why are you sitting so far away from the screen anyway. Save some money and sit closer.

by Anonymousreply 3805/07/2013

The deli food at Whole Foods

(I feel like I have to talk to a loan officer before I get a piece of salmon)

by Anonymousreply 3905/07/2013

Trophy wives

by Anonymousreply 4005/07/2013

Flying first class...

MacBook Pros...

Small apartments in trendy neighborhoods...

by Anonymousreply 4205/07/2013

What R38 said.

And I'll add that I was shocked to see the price of things in a store like Target. $100 for a sheet set? $150 for a duvet? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4305/07/2013

Broadway shows. Most straight plays don't stand a chance at the absurd prices producers charge nowadays. ORPHANS is just one of many shows that might have enjoyed a decent run if tickets were more reasonably priced.

by Anonymousreply 4405/07/2013

Living in Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint and any formerly low rent area of Brooklyn, which annoying trustafarians have deemed 'hip' and 'arty' over the past 10 or so years. Who gives a fuck what these idiots think is 'hip'.

Give me break, as a native New Yorker, most of my family, who lived in those areas, escaped them and never looked back. Other family members, who remained, cashed in on the idiots who are willing to pay outrageously high rents, they fixed up their crappy row houses and are now landlords there.

by Anonymousreply 4505/07/2013

Popcorn and sodas from the movie theater. And candy. And, well, ANYTHING from the concession counter.

Seriously, a dime's worth of soda and a dime's worth of popcorn costs $10.

by Anonymousreply 4605/07/2013

r46, I never buy food at a theater, sporting event or airport. It's a disgusting business model.

by Anonymousreply 4705/07/2013

Marriage.

by Anonymousreply 4805/07/2013

In NYC, a medium popcorn and a medium soda costs $16 at Regal. That's insanity plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 4905/07/2013

Tips on Cam4

by Anonymousreply 5005/07/2013

Books by bloggers. Yes, I like what you do and believe in supporting it, but I've been through this a lot now and there's very little new material.

Kitchen gadgets: some people know these are toys and still enjoy buying them. I'm always convinced they will revolutionize the way I cook and experience life. I'm so full of shit and so is my pantry.

Specialized baggage: If it's made to carry a certain object, there's a good chance the object will get lost, destroyed, or become obsolete within three years. I'm stuck with dusty black nylon that never cleans up well.

Lake views/partial lake views: Sure, it's nice seeing the lake in the morning and some evenings. If I can only see it by craning my neck on the front porch, does that really add $45,000 to the asking price? Oh, I can see it from the third floor 'man cave'? Fuck you.

Lawns. I've bitched about this before. They do nothing but suck up resources. I want a forrest, not a lawn, and I don't want a fire pit or anything else that attracts bugs and assholes named Tad. Give me perennials and big trees.

Men under 35: We're here to fuck. Everything else is autistic mental masturbation. I'm poor and, yes, my ass has fallen and will never get up and, no, I don't have money or a job for you. That coffee was made 'to go'. Keep the mug. Couch surfing? Three days. Don't steal my shit.

by Anonymousreply 5105/07/2013

R51 sounds like my grandfather who was arrested for stabbing a nun in the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 5205/07/2013

[quote]Cinema tickets. No film is worth more than a tenner to see. No wonder everyone waits for it to stream to their living rooms now.

I agree 100%. Even the "event films" aren't worth it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5305/07/2013

I agree. Got the huge HD screen, 7 speaker surround system, Netflix. Why go out?

by Anonymousreply 5405/07/2013

Dyson vacuum cleaners - they may be better built than "regular" vacuums but $600 worth of better?

I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 5505/07/2013

I love you, r41.

As ayb said, off-the-rack clothing.

Any car over US$30K that doesn't get at least 35 to 40 mpg.

Artisanal salt. You know, the stuff like, "It's harvested from a 10-meter patch in Normandy during the first three days of November and its delicate aroma is matched only by its diamond-like sparkle!" Give me a break. It's fucking salt.

Ubercustom bikes ridden by hipsters. There are actual bike enthusiasts who would kill to have the hand-cast frame your parents bought for you.

Bread.

Coffee.

Whores.

by Anonymousreply 5605/07/2013

Diamonds

by Anonymousreply 5705/07/2013

Earrings.

Caftans.

by Anonymousreply 5805/07/2013

Sorry, R56, I disagree about the salt. I use three different kinds in my cooking and one of them is foo-foo French salt.

by Anonymousreply 5905/07/2013

High end kitchen appliances.

I audibly snicker when I see them in friends' homes.

One couple I know bought and imported this ginormous German range that had to be about 10 feet wide. They had to remodel their entire kitchen just so it would fit.

I guess it could be considered Germany's version of the estate-sized AGA.

NO TELLING what this entire folly cost them. They are very wealthy however.

Oh, and neither one of these yahoos can cook worth a damn.

by Anonymousreply 6005/07/2013

Oh, but think of the resale value, R60! It's a selling point!

by Anonymousreply 6105/07/2013

Madonna's concerts.

by Anonymousreply 6205/07/2013

Anything from Restoration Hardware.

by Anonymousreply 6305/07/2013

"Dyson vacuum cleaners - they may be better built than "regular" vacuums but $600 worth of better?"

Whaaat!?? Don't you care about SUCTION?

by Anonymousreply 6405/07/2013

I have a 20 year old Hoover. Me mom bought me a Dyson. I can't tell any difference except you don't need to buy bags for the Dyson.

by Anonymousreply 6505/07/2013

15 minutes in the back seat with Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 6605/08/2013

In the early 1980s my sister-in-law bought a vacuum cleaner that was almost $1000. Maybe it was $700 or $800. It had a function that used water to supposedly get rid of dander and other allergens. My brother - who never had a problem spending money on expensive things - hit the roof. He thought she was crazy. We ALL thought she was crazy. My suggestion to alleviate her "allergies" was for her to quit smoking. She didn't appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 6705/09/2013

R67, is the vacuum still working?

by Anonymousreply 6805/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.