Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the worst chain restaurant around?

My vote goes to a crap-fest place called Joe's Crab Shack in Houston, New Orleans, Dallas and other southern cities.

Junky frozen shrimp from the supermarket served on PLASTIC PLATES just like the old highschool hot lunch place. Potato salad sphere served by an ice cream spoon. Paper napkins. Plastic water glass. The shittiest, shittiest food in creation.

by Anonymousreply 21405/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 105/06/2013

OP I was going to say Denny's but you are correct. Joe's Crab Shack in any location is the worst. Overpriced crappy frozen food, dirty tables with uncomfortable seating, lazy indifferent staff, noisy and filled with screaming children.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2013

What's wrong with Denny's? The only think I ever eat there is something like pancakes and eggs, and they're always OK.

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2013

R3 Poor quality bland food that is heavy on the carbs. I don't think I have ever had a good cup of coffee at one.

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2013

That chain of fools...

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

Keep in mind, OP, Joe's Crab Shack caters to people who think Red Lobster is too fancy.

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2013

I used to work at Joe's one summer & we called it Joe's Crack Shack because we would take turns going out behind the dumpster and smoke crack LOL.

And no, I don't do that any more I am a teacher now and my kids would never even suspect I was like that!

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013

Cracker Barrel

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2013

I also worked at Cracker Barrel and we called it ... yup I Crack Barrel because we would take turns going out behind the dumpster and smoke crack LOL.

I was bad. Long time ago - good times!

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2013

Applebee's. In my humble opinion.

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2013

Olive Garden - they just heat shit up and present the food as authentic Italian cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 1105/06/2013

I am apparently going to have to first check out the party scene behind the dumpsters of Cracker Barrel and Crab Shack before I go there for dinner!

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2013

Ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Good thing I won't eat there because of my religious convictions agaist the owners' corporate giving policies.

by Anonymousreply 1305/06/2013

[quote]Good thing I won't eat there because of my religious convictions agaist the owners' corporate giving policies.

Well, aren't you just so special!

by Anonymousreply 1405/06/2013

Death to Chick-Fil-A!

My vote goes to both that bigoted abomination and Applebee's.

by Anonymousreply 1505/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 1605/06/2013

There is no Joe's Crab Shack in New Orleans. It closed years ago due to lack of interest by the locals.

by Anonymousreply 1705/06/2013

Choke on a nug, r14

by Anonymousreply 1805/06/2013

Red Slobster. Ate there recently after not having been for a few years and it lousy. Low quality seafood drenched in butter, more salad dressing than lettuce in the caesar salad, blech.

by Anonymousreply 1905/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 2005/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 2105/06/2013

I second Red Lobster! What a piling steam of shit. Seafood, especially shellfish should never be eaten in a low-cost environment.

by Anonymousreply 2205/06/2013

They all pretty much suck.

by Anonymousreply 2305/06/2013

Red Robbin, not YUM.

by Anonymousreply 2405/06/2013

I believe Long John Silver's may be more vile. Everything is fried.

by Anonymousreply 2505/06/2013

Proud to serve hate food.

by Anonymousreply 2605/06/2013

Arby's. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 2705/06/2013

R27 I cant hear the name Arby's without thinking of this:

by Anonymousreply 2805/06/2013

Do goys and gaybros eat at Chik-Fil-A?

by Anonymousreply 2905/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 3005/06/2013

I use to love gong to Friendly's as a kid to eat the burgers and ice cream. Haven't been there in years.Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Sundae was my favorite. Great memories. Anybody remembers Beef Steak Charlie's?

by Anonymousreply 3105/06/2013

I've seen at least one roach at every Denny's I've ever been to.

by Anonymousreply 3205/06/2013

Denny's. The food there is so fucking plain that I've had TV dinners that tasted better (not joking).

by Anonymousreply 3305/06/2013

I was in upstate PA for work a few weeks ago and had a truly dreadful meal at Ruby Tuesday. Some grilled chicken breast with sloppy white sauce and "sautéed" mushrooms. Blech. It was gross. Funny I went to college in upstate NY and we went to RT every once in a while and I don't remember it being so gross. Maybe my palette is just more refined now?

by Anonymousreply 3405/06/2013

There's a Joe's Crab Shack in SF and it's more ambiance than food. Every so often some song will come on and the staff breaks out in dance. Some of them get up on the tables and dance. It's disgusting to see people's dirty shoes trampling all over where you eat. They don't even care.

Then I also ordered three margaritas and never caught a buzz, I wonder if there was even any alcohol in it.

Overpriced, overrated, and garbage.

by Anonymousreply 3505/06/2013

Another vote for Denny's. Expensive grease. Yuk!

by Anonymousreply 3605/06/2013

I remember Beefsteak Charlie's. At the time SNL did a parody of it called Pre-Chew Charlies, where the waitstaff would pre chew you food for you so it would be easier to eat. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 3705/06/2013

Went to a Red Lobster once and the lobster was rubbery and had a huge mudvein running down the middle. If you can't even cook what your restaurant is named after, it's time to shut it down.

Also went to BJ's Steakhouse twice and had bad service/food.

Don't even bother with Applebee's, it's the hangout for 20 year olds and if you aren't 20, the staff has no time for you.

by Anonymousreply 3805/06/2013

R24, Red Robin is far better than most of the other places listed here.

by Anonymousreply 4005/06/2013

You can smell the white trash trailer dweller in one of these posts.

by Anonymousreply 4105/06/2013

And it smells better than the food.

by Anonymousreply 4305/06/2013

R42 is obviously a retard.

by Anonymousreply 4405/06/2013

[quote]I second Red Lobster! What a piling steam of shit. Seafood, especially shellfish should never be eaten in a low-cost environment.

My God, this isn't even idiocy. It's a caricature of idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 4505/06/2013

I would go with Chik-Fil-A.. but I am in the land of chain food so will probably report back a few more.

by Anonymousreply 4605/06/2013

Boston Market. Every time I've eaten their food it feels like Ive eaten a brick. Heavy food, euugh

by Anonymousreply 4805/06/2013

Something hit R42 right between the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 4905/06/2013

[quote]Olive Garden - they just heat shit up and present the food as authentic Italian cuisine.

All of those chain restaurants just reheat food prepared centrally. Obviously, they do some simple cooking, but the bulk of the food arrives prepared.

Red Lobster doesn't serve much real lobster. The used farm-raised "rock lobsters" which aren't actually lobsters at all.

by Anonymousreply 5005/06/2013

McDonald's of course.

by Anonymousreply 5205/06/2013

[quote]All of those chain restaurants just reheat food prepared centrally

No, they don't. The question is, why is it so IMPORTANT to you to creat the illusion that it is true? Why? This is the weirdest obsession I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 5305/06/2013

[quote]My God, this isn't even idiocy. It's a caricature of idiocy

Great description of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5405/06/2013

R53 Why are you in such deep and passionate denial?

These chains feed customers hideous, chemical laden shit. They do it by shipping easy to prepare food - frozen or steampacked - to their franchisees.

You think at Olive Garden soneone's Grandma Totini is slaving away in the kitchen? And that magically gets to your table in 10 minutes or less? Ginne a fucking break. It's some barely literate guy in the kitchen plopping a plastic bag in a pot of boiling water or nuking it.

by Anonymousreply 5605/06/2013

I went to an Olde Country Buffet once. Horrific food, but the fatties were all jamming up to the buffet to get more, more, more. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 5705/06/2013

I'll have to assume R59 is obese and loves Olde Country Buffet.

by Anonymousreply 6005/06/2013

Shoney's take this hands down. Though I believe to be a souhthern chain pure shit food served with shit service...SUCKS!

by Anonymousreply 6205/06/2013

Golden Corral. Hands down. It's why I don't want to visit my parents anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6305/06/2013

There's nothing wrong with having a preference for fresh, nutritious and well-prepared food when you're paying to eat in a restaurant. I'm sure we all take enough short-cuts when we cook at home, but when I go to a restaurant, I don't feel a bit bad that I'm picky.

by Anonymousreply 6405/06/2013

I'll attempt to get this thread back on track and rescue it from the angry lover(?s) of junk food: Taco Bell.

by Anonymousreply 6505/06/2013

R61, you weren't there. The place was dirty, the food was not "average low cost" food. Maybe it wasn't representative of other OCBs, but it was, in fact, horrific.

by Anonymousreply 6605/06/2013

Either Olive Garden or Red Lobster. Always nasty, greasy crap.

by Anonymousreply 6805/06/2013

Gawd Datalounge's demographic is changing if TWO separate posters have admitted to working in and smoking crack in the back of a chain restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 6905/06/2013

[quote]Gawd Datalounge's demographic is changing

Let's hope so.

by Anonymousreply 7005/06/2013

Probably Applebee's, I've been forced to go there several times and never really had anything I enjoyed.

At least Olive Garden I can do the breadsticks and salad for cheap and it is decent meal for the price. Red Lobster is pretty crappy seafood but the cheese biscuits are decent.

Don't think I could contrive a single good thing about Applebee's.

by Anonymousreply 7105/06/2013

It's the M Submarine chain. They pop up whenever a neighborhood dies and used car lots take over Main Street.

They serve some form of meat bi-product sliced very thin. The meat comes in beige (chicken/turkey?), red (beef?), or dark red (roast lung?). Everything comes doused in an orange sauce that doesn't really involve tomatoes or anything else you can identify.

It's not terrible, but you leave feeling like you've eaten Buddig beef.

by Anonymousreply 7205/06/2013

Arby's. How can they call that overly processed, chemical laden, artificial tasting brown stuff roast beef? The cheese is even worse.

by Anonymousreply 7305/06/2013

[quote]How can they call that overly processed, chemical laden.....

Which chemicals are you speaking of?

by Anonymousreply 7405/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 7505/06/2013

Olive Garden has great salad.

by Anonymousreply 7605/06/2013

I was at the Alamo several years ago and became fascinated by this mother of 2. She literally walked through every exhibit without seeing anything, the only thing she was concerned with was fawning over her two brats and trying to over stimulate them with things she kept pulling out of her purse. Even when the kids were looking at an exhibit she kept trying to hand them things - "you want this, Jeffrey? Here Brittany, Mommy's got this for you." Finally she ran out of things to hand them and said "We're almost done and then we can go to Taco Bell."

Going to Taco Bell in San Antonio. I've hated chain restaurants ever since.

by Anonymousreply 7705/06/2013

Dead Lobster. Crapper Barrel. Piss-hole Pete's Pizza.

by Anonymousreply 7805/06/2013

Did you see the Tina the Alamo tour operator?

by Anonymousreply 8005/06/2013

My food is so bad none of you even thought of it.

by Anonymousreply 8105/06/2013

Agree with R11. Olive Garden. The last time I ever ate there, my lasagna was frozen in the middle!

by Anonymousreply 8205/06/2013

If you really want to talk horrific drek ...

Table 46

And ... sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little

... The Four Seasons.

I've never been to the places you all are mentioning here.

by Anonymousreply 8305/06/2013

(someone's dad is a franchise owner)

by Anonymousreply 8505/06/2013

R83 is accustomed to overpaying for his shitty food.

by Anonymousreply 8605/06/2013

I don't think Joe's Crab Shack is especially inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 8705/06/2013

This is like Sophie's Choice...

by Anonymousreply 8805/06/2013

[quote]"Finally she ran out of things to hand them and said "We're almost done and then we can go to Taco Bell."

Little did they know that the Alamo used to be a Taco Bell. Two hundred Texans bravely fought and died in the Battle of the Gordita.

by Anonymousreply 8905/06/2013

OP fools no one. He would probably shit his pants if someone invited him out as a guest for dinner at Red Lobster.

by Anonymousreply 9005/06/2013

Fresh roach is good eatin'.

by Anonymousreply 9205/06/2013

As a roach I am sick and tired of being derided and made a symbol of the unclean. We roaches are as clean as the surroundings in which we are forced to live. Have you ever seen an unkempt roach? We are always neat and presentable. Hell, in flight I would go so far as to say we are beautiful. Roaches never commit murder or rob bank or sell drugs on the corner. I guess if we have genetic flaw, it's that we don't have gay roaches, but we sometimes have orgies and, well, who knows what my slip in where?

Now wake up posters, a roach is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 9505/06/2013

I luv you, Roachie.

by Anonymousreply 9705/06/2013

There's nothing wrong with Chilli's.

by Anonymousreply 9805/06/2013

R94 is the Olive Garden Apologist who screeches LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR at complaints and observations because she LUUUUUUUVS the breadsticks and fills her purse with them before the toddles out of the swillhaus.

by Anonymousreply 9905/06/2013

R98, I've never ever had a good meal at Chili's. I've managed edible meals at ALL the other places listed here at one time or another. There are a few "safe" choices on the menus at most places.

But after five attempts at three different Chili's, I won't go back. Even my chicken sandwich was inedible (tasted like they'd just cleaned the grill with cleanser before cooking the chicken... and didn't rinse it off, so it got all over the chicken, bleh).

I think five attempts to find something that didn't completely suck is enough attempts. I'd rather eat at Applebees, Red Lobster, or Olive Garden than Chili's... without question or hesitation.

It is, in my experience, the worst. By far.

by Anonymousreply 10005/06/2013

I'm pretty grossed out by most buffet restaurants, particularly Ponderosa and Golden Corral (I've seen roaches at both and have never had a satisfying meal because everything is pretty much ewwww) I'm also not particularly fond of Arby's or Taco Bell.

by Anonymousreply 10105/06/2013

I'm happy to say that I haven't eaten at one of these places in quite a while. I would guess that any place that has Buffet in the name is utter dreck.

By chance, when I am on the road, I go to Carraba's, Panera, and recently discovered Texas Roadhouse. J. Alexanders is quite good too. Those are my go-to chains.

by Anonymousreply 10205/06/2013

[quote]All this baloney of who is pushing god and who is not doesn't effect my decision where to eat. I have religious and non religious friends and both accept me just as I am. Life is too short to go out of one's way about these trivialities.

That's both sad, and clueless. It's not baloney when they're using YOUR money to oppress, persecute, and demean gay people.

Stop being an idiot.

If you actually eat at Chick-Fil-A for any reason, you're being an ignorant moron, and you should really just stop.

by Anonymousreply 10305/06/2013

I thought Joe's Crab Shack in New Orleans closed because it washed into the lake.

by Anonymousreply 10405/06/2013

I also used to work at Texas Roadhouse and we called it Texas Blowhouse because we'd always be doing blow in the bathroom on breaks. But one time we convinced this new young busboy that we called it that because the new busboys have to give all the waiters blowjobs - and he believed it (and I got one)!

I worked at a lot of chains (I am also R7/R9) but that was one of the most fun. Ah my glorious misspent youth!

by Anonymousreply 10505/06/2013

I like Chili's, Applebees, Cracker Barrel, and Red Robin.

I agree with the poster who said Boston Market. Betty Crocker makes boxed mashed potatoes with more flavor, and the mac and cheese tastes like Kraft, just overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 10605/06/2013

I'm so amused by the people calling anyone with the sense to stay away from the sodium laden obesity farms that the chain restaurants "prisspots."

by Anonymousreply 10705/06/2013

Chili's is by far the saltiest food I've ever tasted.

by Anonymousreply 10805/06/2013

I've eaten at Applebees. It's not that bad, unless you're really stuck up about food.

I like the Hardees breakfast biscuits.

I wouldn't go to most of the places that have been mentioned. But if you like cheap food (these places cater to a specific type of patron) then by all means go there and get your fill. And then there's the practical aspect of it; a lot of people can't AFFORD to go to better places.

The one place mentioned that I particularly dislike is Arbee's. The food there is CRAP. It tastes synthetic, like it's not real food at all! And by God, it probably isn't.

by Anonymousreply 10905/06/2013

Proud Boston Market CEO Announces Food Hasn't Been This Gross In Years

News • food • business • ISSUE 49•18 • May 2, 2013

GOLDEN, CO—Visibly beaming with pride, Boston Market CEO George Michel told reporters Thursday that the food at his restaurant chain “has rarely, if ever, been more disgusting.”

“From macaroni covered in congealed, room-temperature cheese to rotisserie chicken so fatty and greasy that it makes you gag just by looking at it, our food right now is extremely, extremely gross. And nauseating!” said a broadly smiling Michel, adding that he couldn’t be more pleased with how revolting the current menu is. “We didn’t think we could get there, but I can honestly say that Boston Market’s already bland, unwholesome pseudo-cuisine that has made customers feel sick for years is, if anything, more stomach-churning than ever.”

“Just look at this watery, greenish-grayish limp spinach,” Michael said, picking up a forkful of the slimy food product, putting it in his mouth, wincing immediately, and becoming noticeably ill. “Repulsive! Now, if you’ll excuse me for a second.”

According to Michel, it took determination and patience to arrive at a point where the food at the restaurant was “as close to inedible as it gets.” Employing Boston Market’s “three Gs” philosophy—Gross Food, Gross Ingredients, Gross Everything—Michel said the franchise was able to provide its customers with cornbread so hard it can be used as a doorstop, gravy that has a thick film of fat in every scoop, and cranberry walnut relish that tastes as vomit-inducing as it sounds.

Michel proudly confirmed that whether it’s a small suburban franchise in Daly City, CA or a large urban location in New York City, he could now walk into any Boston Market, take one whiff of the meatloaf, and immediately begin dry heaving.

As an added bonus, Michel noted, the coffee also tastes like complete and utter dog shit.

“Now, don’t get me wrong, our food has always been gross, but we asked ourselves, ‘Could we lower the bar even further?’” he said. “Five years ago, people could cut into a piece of our famous chicken and maybe guess whether it was white or dark meat. Now, it just looks like one clump of some sort of compacted food product. In the past, the mashed potatoes tasted like instant, but could we get them to taste like the kind served to prisoners in the federal penitentiary system? The answer is yes. And could the fluid our sweet corn sits in for hours on end become greyer and murkier? I’m happy to say it could.”

“The zucchini and squash still taste slightly different from one another, but don’t worry, we are working on that,” Michel added. “And on the plus side, I can’t even think of our chicken pot pie without also imagining human shit being drenched in gravy.”

Though he is happier than ever with how utterly sickening every food item has become, Michel emphasized there is no reason to get complacent, and repeatedly stressed that the food at Boston Market could always be grosser. That’s why Boston Market recently added bone-in St. Louis–style ribs to the menu. The ribs offer the franchise, sources say, a chance to make the overall food quality “off-the charts repellent,” and according to Michel, that was an opportunity he couldn’t pass up.

“First you have the barbeque sauce, which we could make revolting in our signature Boston Market fashion by letting it become hardened piles of goo,” Michel said. “And then there is the meat itself. We always said if we’re going to serve ribs, they’d better turn our customers’ faces either green or pale white. That’s why every bite is a mixture of fat, gristle, and God knows what.”

According to Michel, he likes to carve out time in his schedule every day to think of different menu items and then contemplate how foul Boston Market could possibly make them.

“Imagine if we served lamb chops,” Michel said. “Maybe add some of our sweet Thai chili sauce to them? Hell, we’d have lines to our bathrooms stretching around the block.”

by Anonymousreply 11005/06/2013

Joe's Crab Shack is THE WORST. I wonder how they stay in business. Not only is it horribly overpriced but the food is crap. Worst of all, we were sitting there trying to have a conversation over (overpriced) drinks and the whole joint burst into dance and song singing along with "Working at the Car Wash" and it went on forever. They all looked humiliated, as I was for them. Who in God's name thinks this is entertaining or creates a "fun" environment???

by Anonymousreply 11105/06/2013

I got dragged to an Old Country Buffet. Never again. Foods those colors do not exist in nature. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 11205/06/2013

R111 Car Wash must be the one song they know and/or have the rights to. I had to go to a Joe's Shit Shack for someone's birthday and it was feckin' dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 11305/06/2013

Lest you think this thread was a waste and served no purpose, just know that now r99 can feel better about herself.

by Anonymousreply 11405/06/2013

On the other hand, I absolutely LOVE Gray's Papaya. And anybody who would say otherwise is not only a prisspot, but an ASSHOLE.

by Anonymousreply 11505/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 11605/06/2013

[quote] I also used to work at Texas Roadhouse and we called it Texas Blowhouse because we'd always be doing blow in the bathroom on breaks. But one time we convinced this new young busboy that we called it that because the new busboys have to give all the waiters blowjobs - and he believed it (and I got one)!

You're full of beans!

by Anonymousreply 11705/06/2013

Captain D's used to be so good. After the 3rd getting under cooked fish I asked for my money back...

by Anonymousreply 11805/06/2013

A bunch of women I worked with went to Joe's Crab Shack for lunch and they all got food poisoning. Incredibly, they all went back because it was convenient.

by Anonymousreply 12005/06/2013

[quote]All this baloney of who is pushing god and who is not doesn't effect my decision where to eat. I have religious and non religious friends and both accept me just as I am. Life is too short to go out of one's way about these trivialities.

Trivialities? If you think your basic rights are trivial then you need to get some help. Some of these places are funding ballot measures to deny gays our basic civil rights.

by Anonymousreply 12105/06/2013

I recently ate at a Pappadeaux's. It was very expensive and nothing had any taste.

by Anonymousreply 12205/06/2013

This is OP and I've designated R88 as a "WW" nominee for this thread.

Sophie's Choice, lol!

by Anonymousreply 12305/07/2013

Any chain pizza restaurant, like Papa John's or Dominos.

by Anonymousreply 12405/07/2013

Papa Johns is 10x better than Dominoes!

by Anonymousreply 12505/07/2013

The only fast food chains I really like are Popeyes and In-N-Out. I haven't eaten at McDonald's, Burger King, Hardees, KFC, Taco Bell or Subway in at least 10 years. And I'll never eat at Chick-Fil-A.

As far as restaurant chains, I like Famous Dave's, PF Changs and Bahama Breeze. I've never been to an Olive Garden and never will - everything in their commercials is drowning in sauce and it all looks the same.

by Anonymousreply 12605/07/2013

I noticed that's all there is if you're travelling by car in the midwest. All of these restaurants that you mention seem to be the only choice.

by Anonymousreply 12705/07/2013

We always said that after you ate at Arby's you would get a case of the R B's which translates to "runny butt".

by Anonymousreply 12805/07/2013

R127, the wise choice is to eat at local eateries when on the road. When you stop for gas, ask someone if they know of a good place to eat in town. It turns traveling into a memorable culinary experience along with sightseeing.

by Anonymousreply 12905/07/2013

Waffle House

Golden Corral

by Anonymousreply 13005/07/2013

Funny (in a very, very sad way) story about Golden Coral:

Once about ten years ago a co-worker dragged me there. And the rotisserie roasted chicken that day was FANTASTIC. I ended up having three pieces. And everything else was pretty decent as well... the buttered yeast rolls, corn, green beans, and a bunch of other good stuff.

Well, such a great experience means we decided to go back the next week. Of course, it wasn't good at all. Because it never is except that ONE time. We kept going back every week for nearly a year... like a smack addict chasing the golden unicorn, we chased the high of that first meal. Finally we gave up as the quality declined even further.

The last time I went, the food was so disgusting. I'll never go back.

by Anonymousreply 13105/07/2013

"If you've never been to a Waffle House, just imagine a gas station bathroom... that serves waffles."

-- Jim Gaffigan

by Anonymousreply 13205/07/2013

R105. I like your style.

by Anonymousreply 13305/07/2013

@R133 Thanks, babe! I don't smoke crack anymore but still love those BJs :)

by Anonymousreply 13405/07/2013

r56 Brutto figlio di puttana bastardo!!!

by Anonymousreply 13505/07/2013

R131 it took a year to figure that out ?

by Anonymousreply 13605/07/2013

R134. Hope you get them well and often!

by Anonymousreply 13705/07/2013

I worked at a Burger King as a teen a very long time ago. When we would run out of burgers sometimes(it happens) and fell behind, we would go into the waste food buckets and get the burger patties and use them. The manager on duty knew what was going on and just laughed and laughed.

Chinese all-you-can-eat buffets are really gross. One of them near here hired illegal Latin American immigrants to cook the stuff. Turned out, they would smash the garlic with their feet out back in a bucket .

by Anonymousreply 13805/07/2013

What, nobody mentions Waffle House?

by Anonymousreply 13905/07/2013

Howard JOhnsons restaurants were always gross.

Mall court food is okay only if really hungry. Otherwise, too sweet, too salty.

Starbucks snacks/pastry tastes fake. Their coffee is roasted too much. Plus, they won't serve decaf in the afternoon, when I would most likely order decaf. I gave up on them long ago, and now go just to the locally owned place. Better coffee, and great in-house pastries.

Chinese take-out places, any of them. EWWWWW!!! Dirty and lousy food at all. Go to a real Chinese place in the city and THEN see if you like those take-out places.

Taco Hell. The food is so bland the Mexicans who worked there didn't know what they were making.

Dominoe's Pizza. YUCK. The worst pizza ever. Frozen pizza is better.

Friendly's is anything but friendly. Why does every Friendly's smell the same? They all have that weird chemical odor to them. Lousy food, too.

by Anonymousreply 14005/07/2013

Here in Australia we don't have the wealth of crap American chains of course, but we do have Starbucks. Somehow it has managed to hang on despite cafes with much better coffee on every corner. It has never really taken off in a big way. I guess you have to have something for people with no taste so there it is.

My answer: Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 14105/07/2013

My elderly aunt took me to Denny's last week for "brunch." I had whole wheat pancakes and they were surprisingly good. The waitstaff was very patient with and sweet to her (she's chatty, to say the least). It's not the best food or the nicest place, but it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 14205/07/2013

R142. How much is she worth?

by Anonymousreply 14305/07/2013

Red Lobster. Granted, I've only ever been to one once, so maybe it was just that particular location, but it was so so horrible. Everything tasted like salt. It was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 14405/07/2013

I can't believe someone defended Papa John's here. Must be a FoxNews viewer.

by Anonymousreply 14505/07/2013

1. Joe's Crab Shack 2. Chili's

by Anonymousreply 14605/07/2013

People love Waffle House. It is almost mythical in the popular culture.

by Anonymousreply 14705/07/2013

Waffle House is like the No. 1 employer of ex-cons.

by Anonymousreply 14805/07/2013

I'd rather they cook waffles than doing whatever they used to do, R148.

by Anonymousreply 14905/07/2013

[quote]Chinese take-out places, any of them. EWWWWW!!! Dirty and lousy food at all. Go to a real Chinese place in the city and THEN see if you like those take-out places.

What's the distinction? I live in a large city and we have nice Chinese restaurants and crappy Chinese restaurants. All of them do take-out. I think this is true of any kind of restaurant, city or suburban, take out or not. Some are good, some are bad.

What makes a Chinese restaurant "real"? You do know its not authentic food from China, right? It's all Americanized, even fully fabricated. Chow mein, crab rangoon and fortune cookies are all American inventions. Chinese families don't sit down to sweet and sour chicken for dinner, either.

by Anonymousreply 15005/07/2013

You made me smile, r143. Aunt Carol lives on Soc. Sec. and a small school district pension (she was a secretary for 38 years). Going to Denny's is a big deal to her and she's just so sweet. She takes all of her nieces and nephews there for their birthdays [because we eat for free]. And all of us make sure we carve out the morning of our b'days for this 'treat.' We give her Denny's gift cards for Mothers' Day so that she doesn't incur any cost. It's a familial pyramid scheme.

by Anonymousreply 15105/07/2013

The Olive Garden Apologist Troll comes out of the woodwork every time someone posts a negative comment here about her fake Italian restaurant chain. She must have the OG on google alerts.

by Anonymousreply 15205/07/2013

Somebody at datalounge has a daddy with an Olive Garden! You mean, we could have been eating free breadsticks ALL ALONG?!

by Anonymousreply 15305/07/2013

[quote]R131 it took a year to figure that out ?

Ask any heroin addict how long it takes to realize you'll never get that first high back again...

by Anonymousreply 15405/07/2013

I can take Olive Garden. I know it's crap "Italian" food, so I don't order any of that. The Soup, Salad, & Breadsticks are edible and cheap. The Capalini Pomodoro with Chicken is not horrible (they usually over-cook the pasta, but never so much it's disgusting), and is relatively healthy. Avoid all the 'featured' entrées, especially anything seafood based.

by Anonymousreply 15505/07/2013

Waffle House is disgusting. That said you can't really fuck up eggs and waffles too bad.

by Anonymousreply 15605/07/2013

Red Lobster. My mother wanted to go there for her birthday. The place was filthy. The food was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 15705/07/2013

R157: Did they at least sing to her?

by Anonymousreply 15805/07/2013

[quote]Joe's Crab Shack is THE WORST. I wonder how they stay in business. Not only is it horribly overpriced but the food is crap. Worst of all, we were sitting there trying to have a conversation over (overpriced) drinks and the whole joint burst into dance and song singing along with "Working at the Car Wash" and it went on forever. They all looked humiliated, as I was for them. Who in God's name thinks this is entertaining or creates a "fun" environment???

If they sang "I Say a Little Prayer", that would be fun.

by Anonymousreply 15905/07/2013

That's pretty sweet, r151.

by Anonymousreply 16005/07/2013

Sizzler restaurants are the spawn of the culinary Satan. I ate lunch there once, years ago. It was shockingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 16105/07/2013

I will eat at a chain restaurant maybe two, three times a year, max.

Many posts have mentioned Chili's as being horrible. Strangely, I have never found Chili's to be so bad. I usually only have something Mexican, like nachos or something similar, so I guess you can't go too wrong with that.

Here in Madison, we have a chain called Culver's, which specializes in burgers, malts, etc. as well as frozen custard. It is generally regarded as one of the best of the chains, although it is only in several Wisconsin locations.

by Anonymousreply 16205/07/2013

Also in Indiana...

by Anonymousreply 16305/07/2013

Not so, R162. I eat at Culver's on occasion here in Austin, Texas. It's kinda strange to have a place offering Wisconsin cheese-curds here, but hey :-)

Their food isn't that great though. The fries are good (they make them golden and crispy down here... I hear from friends up north that they tend to be pale and limp up there (shudder, ick))... the burgers are "okay" as long as you remember to season the patty before eating. I don't know why they don't seem to put any salt or pepper on the burgers, but without a little, it's just bland. The chicken sandwiches are just dry (especially the grilled). I haven't really tried much else.

Their ice-cream (sorry, "Frozen Custard") is amazing though, and it's the only place around here that offers raspberries as a sundae topping, so that's usually what I go for.

by Anonymousreply 16405/07/2013

r150, go to the ones Chinese are eating at. It helps if you have a Chinese boyfriend as I did at the time.How we ate!! Sad others will go through life never knowing such incredibly good food. The restaurants in Chinatown are NOT all serving Americanized crap, at least not to us. I am well aware about sweet and sour pork is nonsense. Try dim sum on Sunday mornings sometime.

Maybe you should pick another restaurant, and preferably one in a major city with a large Chinese population. Too bad for you if you live in fly-over territory.

by Anonymousreply 16505/07/2013

If I have to go to a chain I usually just have cocktails for dinner. Less of a chance they will fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 16605/07/2013

Chick-fil-A easily wins.

They are hate served on a bun.

by Anonymousreply 16705/07/2013

R151. That is sweet. I stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 16805/07/2013

[quote]Maybe my palette is just more refined now?

If you're mixing food with paint, you have bigger problems to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 16905/07/2013

(Olive Garden haters, please disregard)

OG is having a great deal right now where you can get a regular meal (including unlimited soup or salad, and breadsticks) at the restaurant and another entrée to take home for only $12.95. There are only five entrées to choose from, and they're all some form of pasta, but where else can you get two decent restaurant meals for $13? (Plus tax and tip, obviously.)

by Anonymousreply 17005/07/2013

Don't any of you bitches know how to cook?

by Anonymousreply 17105/07/2013

[quote]I recently ate at a Pappadeaux's. It was very expensive and nothing had any taste.

I call bullshit. I eat there almost every week, and expensive I'll grant you, but they serve consistently delicious food.

by Anonymousreply 17205/07/2013

I won't argue about it so if you hate Olive Garden okay. The only thing I've ever eaten there are the breadsticks and had the endless soup and salad combo and I love it.

So if you get stuck with nothing else around but an Olive Garden I suggest trying the endless soup and salad.

by Anonymousreply 17305/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 17405/07/2013

Of the many shitty burger chains in this area, by far the worst is Steak and Shake. The only item I tried that was even passable was the banana flavored shake.

It's hard to imagine how the paper-thin burgers could be flattened to such a degree. The two patties on a double burger together contained less meat than a Wendy's value burger, and the meat was burned black.

Sides were just as bad. Shoestring fries were served cold and hard, cole slaw was of the prepackaged supermarket variety, and baked beans were as poor as a canned, discount brand, barely warmed through.

by Anonymousreply 17505/07/2013

IHOP. Lousy food. Just the worst.

by Anonymousreply 17605/07/2013

In my neck of the woods, Applebees.

by Anonymousreply 17705/07/2013

R177=Al Roker

by Anonymousreply 17805/07/2013

R175 nails it. I heard so much good about "steak & shake" (including here on this forum)... when one finally opened within driving distance (and I mean, at the outer limits of that), I made a special trip. It was... absolutely nothing I'd ever go eat again. And it cost too much for what you got. I can't imagine the fascination.

by Anonymousreply 17905/07/2013

I'll back up R172. Pappadeaux's has some amazing food. The alligator appetizer is incredible. Some very good gumbo and etoufee.

by Anonymousreply 18005/07/2013

I'mfamiliar with Papadeaux in Louisiana and Texas, are they elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 18105/07/2013

[quote]The Capalini Pomodoro with Chicken is not horrible

Now there's a ringing endorsement of the Olive Garden if I ever heard one.

by Anonymousreply 18205/07/2013

R182, I'm pretty sure the point was NOT to "endorse" Olive Garden, but to simply point out that when forced to eat there for whatever reason, there are a few things that can be ordered without having to worry about having a horrible meal.

by Anonymousreply 18305/07/2013

Olive Garden owns this thread. And Golden Corral and Old Country Buffet are both NASTY. Outback Steakhouse used to be good but now they can't cook a steak to save their lives and the steaks are shit. The food at Smokey Bones is horrendous. I fucking HATE Subway's garbage food. I hate most chain restaurants.

But some I don't mind... Max & Erma's, O'Charleys, Panera Bread, Cracker Barrel are fine with me. And ok, I admit I splurge on a McDonald's cheeseburger once in a great while.

Lately, if I need a quick and convenient bite to eat, I have been going to Wegman's food bar. There is a huge variety of foods to choose from and much of it is fresh and made right there.

I love Tim Horton's coffee, much better and less expensive than that diesel fuel coffee at Starbucks, which I hate.

by Anonymousreply 18405/08/2013

Hello, this is mild mannered, innocuous OP.

I've never started a thread that got 174 posts before, I feel...well...popular.

All of my life I have tried to erase myself, but now I see that I can contribute to DL and to society at large and I promise to each and every one of you: I will put away those thoughts of jumping off the Golden Gate bridge.

by Anonymousreply 18505/08/2013

R181, they're also in New Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 18605/08/2013

A friend of mine got food poisoning at Golden Coral

by Anonymousreply 18705/08/2013

Those of you slamming Taco Bell have obviously never been to a Taco John's, a regional tack chain that used to operate out of prefab metal buildings that would arrive on the back of a semi-truck. One day a vacant lot, next day a Taco John's.

I would like to nominate Jack in the Box. I'm sure there are more disgusting restaurants and dirtier restaurants, but Jack in the Box is in a special category, because they simply don't have any valid reason for existing.

Any product Jack in the Box sells is inferior to the similar product being sold right down the street by someone else, and that product will be sold by more pleasant people in a better environment, and usually for a better price.

by Anonymousreply 18805/08/2013

Good point, R188... why ARE "Jack in the Box" restaurants always so dirty?

by Anonymousreply 18905/08/2013

Copeland's is better than Pappadeaux's any day of the week.

Very few of the Katrina diaspora ever darken the door of a Pappadeaux's.

by Anonymousreply 19005/08/2013

Pappadeaux is in Illinois, too.

by Anonymousreply 19105/08/2013

No one is claiming that Pappadeaux is super high quality or super authentic. But it's not bad. It's not HEALTHY, mind you, but what Cajun cooking is?

by Anonymousreply 19205/08/2013

My dad tells of a visit years ago, on a business trip, to Red Lobster, where his food arrived half-cooked: broiled on one side, and raw on the other.

by Anonymousreply 19305/08/2013

R175/R179 = classless heathens

by Anonymousreply 19405/08/2013

Every time I go to Red Lobster the food is always good...

by Anonymousreply 19505/08/2013

I think Denny's wins this thread. Their menu is uninteresting, and they even screw up simple stuff like breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 19605/08/2013

Nobody has mentioned Skyline Chili, but I seem to recall it caused mass aversion when it was mentioned in a chili thread.

by Anonymousreply 19705/08/2013

That Cincinnati Skyline Chili shit is absolutely ghoulish gunk.

All involved in creating this abomination should be horse whipped, and if dead already, their graves pissed upon.

by Anonymousreply 19805/08/2013

Golden Corral and Red Lobster are 10 times better than Applebees.

I swear Apleebees buys dollar microwavables by the truckload and feeds them to customers as Tyler Florence creations.

At least Golden Corral cooks the steaks and chicken right in front of the customers. Also carves the ham up front and the turkey straight off the bird.

I say that's got Applebees and their shitty micros beat.

by Anonymousreply 19905/09/2013

Those Chinese take-out places in strip shopping malls are the worst of them all. YUCK.

Take your pick: Golden Wok, China Wok, Mandarin Wok, China Garden, Panda Garden, etc....they all have the same menu and the food all tastes the same. It is all awful.

by Anonymousreply 20005/11/2013

Steak 'n Shake is only in business for the desserts.

by Anonymousreply 20105/11/2013

At least Golden Corral has a cotton candy machine and chocolate fountain, which is more than I can say for The French Laundry or Daniel.

by Anonymousreply 20205/11/2013

California Pizza Kitchen. Foul.

by Anonymousreply 20305/14/2013

Applebees really is shitty. Can't even get a damn baked potato with the narly steak....

at least that was the case when I last walked through their doors(2 or 3 yrs ago).

I'd much rather have a salad, a little protein, and fresh fruit from Golden Coral.

And, really, how can you mess up turkey that comes straight off the bird? It's pretty fucking good. Not dry at all. What's to bitch about?

Oh, and they now have bread pudding for our lesbian sisters. I shit you not! I just had to try it. It's edible, but the fudge is the only good sweet they got.

by Anonymousreply 20405/14/2013

Hardee's hands down

by Anonymousreply 20505/16/2013

Anything with Gordon Ramsay's influence is disgusting. It's like his personality seeps into the food somehow.

by Anonymousreply 20605/16/2013

I like Texas Roadhouse, but I like Longhorn's even better. I had a really gross meal at the Cheesecake Factory. For Italian, I will only eat at authentic restaurants in Boston's North End. Planet Hollywood sucks and is overpriced, but it has a really cool atmosphere. Ruby Tuesday's is gross. When dining at the Olive Garden, make sure you eat all of your bread sticks. It is well known that they take all their leftover bread sticks, even the partially eaten ones, and reuse them in their salads. You really think management is going to buy croutons when there is tons of bread sticks tossed out each day?

by Anonymousreply 20705/16/2013

Longhorn's has a kick ass blue cheese dressing.

They told me they make it fresh every day. Maybe they do and maybe they don't, but it's damn good. Has a hell of a punch!

by Anonymousreply 20805/16/2013

Because I travel for work I have had all of these, and everyone of them is awful. It's all fake, reheated, salty, sweet goo. Buffets are the worst followed by the applebees/Chili's ilk. I love Cheesecake Factory and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is alway good. But none of it is really all that great.

by Anonymousreply 20905/16/2013

"Anything with Gordon Ramsay's influence is disgusting. It's like his personality seeps into the food somehow"

How true! - it's like every dish comes with a side dish of rage, fear, resentment and contempt...

by Anonymousreply 21005/17/2013

Can I throw in Hard Rock to the list? Decent atmosphere but shitty over-priced food. Their burgers are okay, but nothing special for the 15 bucks or so they want for one.

by Anonymousreply 21105/17/2013

[184], you are absolutely right about Outback Steakhouse. It was good...20 years ago.

What happened to that place?

by Anonymousreply 21205/17/2013

Red Robin is pretty terrible

by Anonymousreply 21305/17/2013

Got food poisoning at Bennigan's.

by Anonymousreply 21405/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!