Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think BlockBuster will shut down sometime in the near future?

With netflicks and youtube offering movies online why would the average American want to haul their massively overweight behinds out of their sofa and walk one block to Blockbusters?

by Anonymousreply 1105/05/2013

I'm always surprised when I drive by a Blockbuster that's still open. Even if you are inclined to get in the car and rent a movie those red box things are all over town. One Blockbuster I drove by recently looked like it had given most of its space to video game rentals. Maybe those still do okay as rentals?

by Anonymousreply 105/05/2013

Dish Network just bought Blockbuster (for their online VOD service, basically), so I would say yes, they will be shutting down sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 205/05/2013

Where will people be able to rent tapes?

by Anonymousreply 305/05/2013

They're still open???

by Anonymousreply 405/05/2013

I was going to say the same thing as R1. I haven't seen an open Blockbuster in my area in forever ....

by Anonymousreply 505/05/2013

There's only one left in the city. They used to be as common as grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 605/05/2013

Where will I rent for my Betamax???

by Anonymousreply 705/05/2013

I just got apple tv. Loves it.

by Anonymousreply 805/05/2013

Good riddance. They always had such shady business practices.

by Anonymousreply 905/05/2013

All the BlockBusters in cities around here shut down long ago.

by Anonymousreply 1005/05/2013

I can't think of one Blockbuster location still open around here but what is even sadder is our indie video store which had all kinds of vintage and cult films bit the dust about a year ago. So much of their stock was on VHS a decade ago and I don't think they could afford to buy it all again when DVD came out, in addition to the competition from Netflix and streaming. Also the great old video store in Old Town Alexandria which was on 4 floors of an old townhouse with different themes in different rooms. Great place and they had a national catalog you could rent from. Gone a couple years now - I can't remember the name.

by Anonymousreply 1105/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!