Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Helen Mirren as the Queen pulls a semi-LuPone...

Helen Mirren shouts at people disrupting her performance as the Queen. How the real Queen must wish she could do the same

Dame Helen Mirren silenced a crowd of drummers promoting a gay music festival. Photo: JOHAN PERSSON

By Telegraph View10:58PM BST 05 May 2013Comment

There is something majestic about Dame Helen Mirren that transcends even her currently reprised role as the Queen. So often has she played the monarch now that it can be difficult to tell the two apart, or even to expect Dame Helen’s mannerisms to be replicated by the Queen. However, it is unlikely that Her Majesty, hosting a garden party at Buckingham Palace, for instance, would have remonstrated with people on the street outside for making a racket. On Saturday, Dame Helen stormed out of her West End theatre, where she is starring as the Queen in Stephen Daldry’s play The Audience, and in full costume told a bunch of street drummers to pipe down, which they duly did, offering profuse apologies. “She just stomped out and shouted 'Quiet’,” said one of the drummers. Sometimes, the Queen must wish she could do the same.

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013

Atta girl! Don't fuck with Mirren!

by Anonymousreply 105/05/2013

I knew just knew she would win the Olivier Award when I saw her name on the list and what the role was.

I don't know how theatre actors could reasonably ignore that. Why the hell would people be rowdy at this of all things, it would be the hottest ticket in town.

by Anonymousreply 205/05/2013

Fuck her had no idea she hated the gays.

by Anonymousreply 305/05/2013

R3 Try reading it again. She doesnt hate gay people, she hates people making so much noise it disturbed her performance. She would have done the same thing to any group doing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 405/05/2013

Oh hang on, it was people OUTSIDE? How bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 605/05/2013

R3/5, she wouldn't have known it was a group promoting a gay music festival out there until she got out there. Think about it. Think really hard.

by Anonymousreply 705/05/2013

R5 No self loathing here. Just someone who deals in reality.

by Anonymousreply 805/05/2013

Wow. Some of you idiots are PARANOID.

by Anonymousreply 905/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 1005/05/2013

What a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1105/05/2013

those theaters in London are not well insulated. you can clearly hear traffic outside. I can't imagine the huge racket a bunch of drummers were making. good for her for shutting them up. it would take a group of real idiots to go outside of a theater in the middle of a performance and start drumming and shouting.

by Anonymousreply 1205/05/2013

R7 She certainly didn't know they were gay before she went out there, and its doubtful she knew who they were after she left.

by Anonymousreply 1305/05/2013

If it was a gay music festival I'm surprised she wasn't yelling at a synthesizer.

by Anonymousreply 1405/05/2013

R5 we know you think calling someone self loathing is a great insult, but when it has no basis on facts, it just makes you look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 1505/05/2013

It's basis IN facts, not ON facts.

by Anonymousreply 1605/05/2013

It's a little early in the pointless debate to be retreating to the grammar trenches, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1705/05/2013

Didn't Hepburn do this to a construction crew during Coco?

by Anonymousreply 1805/05/2013

Team Helen Mirren. And frankly I'm sick of people playing drums in the street, loud and all the other crap that goes on in the street that is loud and noisy.

by Anonymousreply 1905/05/2013

The homosexuals. Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!

by Anonymousreply 2005/05/2013

[quote]Didn't Hepburn do this to a construction crew during Coco?

No, according to her, or legend, Hepburn was bothered by nearby construction noise during the Wednesday matinees of "Coco", so she tried to fix the problem. She apparently rode up to the construction site on the temporary elevator and simply introduced herself. She asked if it would be possible to have some quiet between 2-4pm on Wednesdays, and offered tickets to the show to anyone who wanted them. Problem solved. It sounds apocryphal, but it is a nice story anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2105/05/2013

"Didn't Hepburn do this to a construction crew during Coco?"

I thought that legend had it that every Wednesday she would have tea sent to the workers during the time she was performing.

by Anonymousreply 2205/05/2013

Helen needs to move on and stop playing Her Maj. I think Dame Helen is starting to take herself a tad too seriously. The Olivier wasn't really deserved. She only got it because she played the Queen. Again.

by Anonymousreply 2305/06/2013

I finally watched The Queen and don't think Mirren deserved the Oscar for it either. It's a good performance, but the only moment that was truly convincing was during the broadcast when she finally spoke about Diana. Dench should have won for Notes on a Scandal.

by Anonymousreply 2405/06/2013

"those theaters in London are not well insulated. you can clearly hear traffic outside"

Oh honey, you haven't lived until you've been in a theatre in London above a Tube line...(remember, many of those theatres were there in the 18th/19th century)

It's just one of those things you learn to live with - I had a tunnel under my house...

Drumming, on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 2505/06/2013

Mirren was good in The Queen, but her best performance that year was in Prime Suspect 7. She was sublime. Prime Suspect 7 was better than anything Dench did that year, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 2605/06/2013

[quote]The Olivier wasn't really deserved. She only got it because she played the Queen. Again.

Agreed. It's the only reason she won. We joke about Hollywood that all you need to do is star in a Holocaust movie and you'll get an Oscar, but in London if you play a royal (mostly it's just the Tudors & Windsors they're obsessed with) you're guaranteed accolades up the wazoo!

by Anonymousreply 2705/06/2013

[italic]Dame Helen Mirren offered an olive branch to a troupe of noisy drummers who disrupted her performance as the Queen – by taking it upon herself to promote their music festival for them.

Dame Helen stormed out of the Gielgud theatre in London on Saturday dressed as the Queen to remonstrate with a troupe of samba-style musicians who had stopped outside the stage door while she was performing in The Audience, a play about the Queen.

Today she offered them an olive branch, by appearing in a t-shirt with a hand-written message advertising the festival - but with a cheeky message on the back urging them to take their drumming elsewhere.

It shows a drum with two drumsticks, drawn in black marker pen, above the message: “Yes please! Just not outside a theatre!”[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2805/06/2013

Awwww ... she's a good egg. With a BANGING BOD!

by Anonymousreply 2905/06/2013

She looks great from behind, in a white shirt no less.

by Anonymousreply 3005/06/2013

We all know the character and performance that will truly be remembered the year that Helen won for The Queen. Miranda Priestly by Madelyn Ashton.

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2013

Yelling at people outside the theatre....I never thought of that. Somebody get me a show I can stop!!!

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2013

Fuck people making noise in public.

by Anonymousreply 3305/07/2013

she's right

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2013

That play (The Audience) is fabulous. It was shown at cinemas around the UK the next month.

I'm not a big fan of Stephen Daldry and I wasn't that keen on The Queen/Mirren as her, but she was so much better here and given more to do; have found a new found respect for her in this role. The direction and script here was a lot better than the dull TV movie one for The Queen. I dunno, it just worked better for the stage than cinematically.

r26 I loved Prime Suspect but kinda lost track after the first 3 or 4. At the time Cracker came along and made it redundant. I love Mirren in Gosford Park. And of course Caligula.

by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2013

"So often has she played the monarch now that it can be difficult to tell the two apart, or even to expect Dame Helen’s mannerisms to be replicated by the Queen."

I think they were tyring to say that "So often has she played the monarch now that it can be difficult to tell the two apart, or even NOT to expect Dame Helen’s mannerisms to be replicated by the Queen."

Clearly, the Telegraph needs to start hiring people who can write a simple sentence or alternatively a competent editor.

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!