Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Leonardo Di Caprio ruins every film he's in

I'm currently watching Shutter Island. Omg, the film sucks because Leonardo Di Caprio is in it. The guy is absolutely awful. There's no way to describe it.

by Anonymousreply 10804/03/2014

So you should probably stop watching the movies where Leonardo DiCaprio is the star.

by Anonymousreply 105/05/2013

R1, I did not go [italic]looking[/italic] for Di Caprio films, it just so happens that he was in that film which I thought would be interesting from reading the movie plot.

Why does this guy get to be in these interesting films. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 205/05/2013

I actually think he's a very good actor.

by Anonymousreply 305/05/2013

Avoid Django Unchained, OP. To say nothing of the new Great Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 405/05/2013

He owes his career to the passing of River Phoenix.

I'm somewhat tired of Leo at this point but I don't much mind him.

by Anonymousreply 505/05/2013

I enjoy Di Caprio when I bother to watch what he's in.

I thought he was excellent in "The Departed", "Titanic", "Gangs of New York" and "Romeo & Juliet"

I haven't watched him in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 605/05/2013

Ridiculous lies. Everything about Shutter Island sucks, the acting is probably the best thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 705/05/2013

Terrible actor, he should thank his lucky stars.

by Anonymousreply 805/05/2013

People like OP with their stupid fucking agendas are what's most annoying about DL.

by Anonymousreply 905/05/2013

[quote]He owes his career to the passing of River Phoenix.

Nah. River Phoenix was 4 years older than DiCaprio. When River died, Leo was still doing teen parts. Leo owes his career to Robert DeNiro, for picking him to play his stepson in This Boy's Life.

by Anonymousreply 1005/05/2013

There are two actors I avoid: Leonardo DiCapria and Ryan Gosling. The former I think is just a terrible actor. He has two modes of acting: he either looks far off and whispers his words, or HE. SAYS. EVERYTHING. LOUD. WITH. A. PAUSE. IN. BETWEEN. EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. He's just not good. As for Gosling, he's just too mannered and "Oh, look how soulful and deep I am" for me.

by Anonymousreply 1105/05/2013

I could not disagree more. I know Shutter Island is not popular but I loved it and thought in particular Leo was good.

I thought this might have been his chance at Oscar, his scenes at the end were amazing. Michelle also was great with of course an incredible supporting cast.

Although it felt like his Shutter Island family were transported to Inception.

by Anonymousreply 1205/05/2013

Ugh, a thread for hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 1305/05/2013

I think Leonardo is a very good natural actor. The problem is that he trys too hard to give an oscar winning performance in every film. He was miscast in The Aviator and that J Edgar movie. I hate the films he has done with Scorsese. Leo's acting seem very forced in Scorsese's films. He was good in Inception.

by Anonymousreply 1405/05/2013

I have high hopes for Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 1505/05/2013

I thought the Departed was his best.

by Anonymousreply 1605/05/2013

That monstrosity of a house killed any interest I might have had in Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 1705/05/2013

I don't think he's a bad actor...

by Anonymousreply 1805/05/2013

He's the best actor of this generation. Deal with it somewhere in between the feigned hate.

by Anonymousreply 1905/05/2013

He was excellent in Blood Diamond. And his performance in Gilbert Grape was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 2005/05/2013

I don't know about best r19, but he's quite good. I've never understood the freaks (like OP) on here who arbitrarily trash people based on some psychotic resentment they've developed.

by Anonymousreply 2105/05/2013

I like him. I loved Shutter Island. I think he's ugly and fat, though. If he was thin like he was as a teen, I'd enjoy watching him more. Don't give me the "people gain weight as they age" shtick. I can see regular people anytime. I want to enjoy good looks while watching blockbuster movies. I make exceptions for indies featuring unknowns. If you're gonna be a multimillionaire entertaining the masses, get rid of your fat ass and work for it.

Get off the carbs and booze, gay Leo! Go paleo!

by Anonymousreply 2205/05/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2305/05/2013

Winslet and he were also good in the otherwise unnoteworthy Revolutionary Road.

by Anonymousreply 2505/05/2013

He can't play a man.

He always comes across as a haggered, alcoholic 15 year-old.

by Anonymousreply 2605/05/2013

Leo is the best actor of his generation bar none. He was great from the get go. Just take look at What's eating Gilbert Grape. He made the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2705/05/2013

R27 That is because he was playing a child.

Ne never pulls off playing an adult man.

by Anonymousreply 2805/05/2013

I see we have a prissy who's shown up at r26 r28.

by Anonymousreply 2905/05/2013

He was very good in "The Departed" and in "Blood Diamond," which were released during the same Oscar season. He was nominated for "Blood Diamnond."

by Anonymousreply 3005/05/2013

[quote]He acts like the singers on AMERICAN IDOL sing.

Excellent commentary, R24. There are too many actors for which that is an apt description.

by Anonymousreply 3105/05/2013

I think it's maybe unfair, but it has been said before that Leo's baby face/ex-baby face look has made him less convincing as an adult.

But I'm with R27 all the way, the boy can act. The Grape performance was phenomenal and the fact he did that so young speaks volumes. You can never go full retard, but he was about the only one who did and did it brilliantly. I remember watching this and This Boy's Life at the time and being blown away.

Who else is of Leo's generation? Brad Cooper? lol.

by Anonymousreply 3205/05/2013

He was hottest in Basketball Diaries.

by Anonymousreply 3305/05/2013

I love Leo's acting. But, to me, his best acting was when he was younger. Once he began working with Scorcese I felt he lost the raw talent and became too precise in his acting. Django Unchained was the first film in a long time where I felt he was giving it his all.

by Anonymousreply 3405/05/2013

He was the best thing in Titanic. He had a boyish charm that was very appealing and he looked really cute. I can see why the tweens went gaga over him. The Aviator was an entertaining movie and he was very good in the role of Howard Hughes. I also liked him in Gangs of New York. He held his own against Daniel Day Lewis and he was still trim and attractive. The ensuing years have not been kind. He appears to have lost his acting chops about the same time he lost his looks. I might watch Gatsby when it comes out on pay per view but I won't be seeing it in a theater. I am more interested in the sets and costumes and JayZzzz's soundtrack than DiCaprio's acting.

by Anonymousreply 3505/05/2013

His acting career stopped with Titanic.

Matt Damon once said that a person stops growing, emotionally, the year they become extremely famous.

[quote]He was an incredible child actor who hasn't grown very much.

Leo got super famous after Titanic and just before he became a man. Unfortunately, it's hindered him from giving authentic "grown man" performances because he has ZERO experience being a man in the world. A cloistered life with zero real life experiences could never lead to incredible performances as an adult. He's a boy trapped in a man's body.

I will give him credit for Django. His best work in a while. And that character was a spoiled brat, arrested development. Obsessed with toys, power. It was in his wheelhouse.

by Anonymousreply 3605/05/2013

[quote]Why does this guy get to be in these interesting films

You see, there was this movie called Titanic...

by Anonymousreply 3705/05/2013

He's not so bad. He's no Andie MacDowell or Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 3805/05/2013

[quote]He was an incredible child actor who hasn't grown very much. He does a lot of performing now but I usually don't believe him at all.

^This. His acting was great when he was in his late teens/early 20's (This Boy's Life, Basketball Diaries), but his acting in adult roles has been hit and miss. It seems like he tries to hard now.

[quote]Leo is the best actor of his generation bar none.

Correction: He's the most famous actor of his generation. There's a difference between being the best and the most famous. He's a good actor, but hardly amazing these days.

by Anonymousreply 3905/05/2013

Next to Tobey McGuire he's Laurence Olivier.

by Anonymousreply 4005/05/2013

[quote]Correction: He's the most famous actor of his generation. There's a difference between being the best and the most famous.

This cries out for examples of better actors.

by Anonymousreply 4105/05/2013

R41, Heath Ledger is a better actor than Di Caprio.

by Anonymousreply 4205/05/2013

Heath Ledger has been dead for 5 years, therefore its not much of a comparison.

by Anonymousreply 4305/05/2013

Joseph Gordon Levitt is a far better actor than Leo.

by Anonymousreply 4405/05/2013

I think the biggest misfire was J Edgar. An awful film almost as bad as The Iron Lady.

But Leo's was a botched attempt at doing a Meryl style performance, she was a great performance in a terrible film. Not everyone can do voices.

Even without the mind mindbogglingly bad make-up it still wasn't a good performance and was so forced, obvious and Oscar bait. Armie Hammer was the only bright spot of that shiteous movie. Eastwood needs to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 4505/05/2013

R43 He, himself, may be dead, but his work lives on. The Dark Knight would have tanked had Leonardo played the joker not that Nolan would have let him.

by Anonymousreply 4605/05/2013

& JGL isn't a great actor either. Frankly I prefer Bradley James who IS a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 4705/05/2013

Armie Hammer was so effortless he really drew attention to how hard Di Caprio was working.

by Anonymousreply 4805/05/2013

The Dark Knight would never tanked no matter who played the Joker.

by Anonymousreply 4905/05/2013

Oh, Christ. The Heath Ledger troll has hijacked this thread. Be gone, before we drop a beat up pick up truck on you, Jack Nasty.

by Anonymousreply 5005/05/2013

R41 Actors born in the 1970s I like more than Leo (b. 1974):

Matt Keeslar

Topher Grace

Eion Bailey

Christian Bale

Justin Bartha

Matt Bomer

Adam Brody

Adrien Brody

Christian Camargo

Justin Chambers

Kevin Connolly

Bradley Cooper

Matt Czuchry

James Badge Dale

Matt Damon

Leo-lookalike Eric Dane

Guillermo Diaz

Stephen Dorff

Josh Duhamel

Peter Facinelli

James Franco

Walton Goggins

Christopher Gorham

Mark-Paul Gosselaar

Jon Hamm

Sean Hatosy

and that just takes us halfway through the Hs.

by Anonymousreply 5105/05/2013

R51, are we supposed to have heard of Walton Goggins? Christian Camargo? Eion Bailey? James Badge Dale? Who are these people?

by Anonymousreply 5205/05/2013

Op - let it go, sweetie

by Anonymousreply 5305/05/2013

He was fabulous in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?"

by Anonymousreply 5405/05/2013

Not only is R51's list ridiculous, I don't think any of them are better than DiCaprio.

Topher Grace? NPH? Josh Duhamel? The Grey's Anatomy guy?

by Anonymousreply 5505/05/2013

R52 You just proved my point - people like you think he's the "best" actor of his generation just because he's the most famous, and like I said, being the most famous and the best are two different things. Just because someone isn't as famous doesn't mean they might not be better.

by Anonymousreply 5605/05/2013

Maybe this will help the actorially-impaired (or is it lazy ass bitch?) R52.

by Anonymousreply 5705/05/2013

The only interesting choice on r51's list is Christian Bale. The others are all meh.

by Anonymousreply 5805/05/2013

R49, it wouldn't necessarily "flop"* without Ledger, but it would not go on to gross one billion in box office without Ledger. He was very involved in his role; many of the little details like fumbling of the remote control before blowing up the hospital was not scripted, it was of his own making. And the sinister clapping when Gordon becomes commissioner was also unscripted. In addition, he was also very involved in the face paint design. It cannot be denied that the success of "The Dark Knight" and the "The Dark Knight Rises" were largely due to Ledger's contributions.

*It'd most likely go on to gross a similar amount as Batman begins

by Anonymousreply 5905/05/2013

Since when was Kevin McKidd from the US? Wtf.

by Anonymousreply 6005/05/2013

Yet they're all more interesting than Leo, R58.

by Anonymousreply 6105/05/2013

r27 is right

by Anonymousreply 6205/05/2013

sorry--meant r28

by Anonymousreply 6305/05/2013

And The Dark Knight Rises grossed over a billion without Ledger, R59.

by Anonymousreply 6405/05/2013

r51 did you do a search on wikipedia or imdb and just copy and paste the results?

by Anonymousreply 6505/05/2013

R64, that's because "The Dark Knight" was so good that people wanted to see the third movie. Also, "The Dark Knight Rises" did not outgross "The Dark Knight" domestically.

by Anonymousreply 6605/05/2013

and r36

by Anonymousreply 6705/05/2013

Bale I've had huge problems with. Now before The Fighter he had put in a long series of bland performances and when he did make an effort it was really laboured obvious Oscar bait and wannabe method actor. So all the criticisms that are being leveled at Leo apply to him.

I did however think he was really good in The Fighter, again another dull film that was an excuse for Oscar bait performances (Silver Linings Playbook much better). His fans are the worst, even scarier than Kidman loons. I'm sure they wouldn't bang on about him being "the best" were it not for his looks.

by Anonymousreply 6805/05/2013

R65, Someone called LDC the best actor of his generation, which made me laugh. Then R41 made an excellent point, saying "This cries out for examples of better actors."

So I googled to find out when LDC was born, to get an idea of what his "generation" is. That year is 1974. I googled "Actors born in the 1970s," because LDC is right in the middle of the decade.

I put my personal favorites NPH (1973), Matt Keeslar (1972), and Topher Grace (1978) at the top of the list, then picked actors I like more than LDC from it. I barely scratched the surface. I only got from A to H.

Here's the list. You can compile your own list.

by Anonymousreply 6905/05/2013

He was really good in Blood Diamond. As was Jennifer Connelley.

by Anonymousreply 7005/05/2013

Each to his own but peer wise I expect he'd be named the best of his generation. Yes, we know the difference between most famous and the best. Just watch The Departed to see how much he towers over the other male actors in the piece in the acting department. The post listing better actors than Leo was a laugh being it extended to Grey's Anatomy cast members!

by Anonymousreply 7105/05/2013

He was brilliant in two flicks, The Departed and the Gilbert Grape movie. Everything else he's done has been average.

by Anonymousreply 7205/05/2013

He is really a terrible actor. Completely stiff and without range. Plus I think he is stupid and a huge douche. HW execs must have the most horrible tastes to push these untalented pretty (he is very ugly now, looks like a bloated pumpkin) boys to become big stars.

by Anonymousreply 7305/05/2013

He was completely lame and stupid in The Departed - as always!

by Anonymousreply 7405/05/2013

Lots and lots of actors are better than Leo, R71. Lots and lots and lots of them. Even one on Grey's Anatomy who looks like him, only better.

I liked him in Django Unchained, but as R73 says, he did look just like a bloated pumpkin. Is he an alcoholic who hasn't quit drinking? Or was that just his character? Maybe that's why he was cast in the role of a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 7505/05/2013

He was good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. But beyond that...

by Anonymousreply 7605/05/2013

The usual Datalonge thread that reeks of envy at the success of another. Which tubby, basement dwelling, momma's boy started this thread and encouraged his fellow desperados to chip in with the Leo hate?

by Anonymousreply 7705/05/2013

R77 R71 R19 Your repeated appeals in his name are not going to make him "the best actor of his generation" any more than people's pointing out that he isn't makes them "tubby" or "basement dwelling."

I am neither tubby nor have I ever lived in a basement. And your insistence that I am, or that I do, is not going to turn Leo into anything other than his bloated Mr. Pumpkin Head alcoholic self.

by Anonymousreply 7805/05/2013

r77's speech sounds like dialoque from a shitty DiCaprio movie. You sure have a way with words, Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 7905/05/2013

For his early performance in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE alone, I have always felt an expectant patience with Di Caprio, knowing that inside there somewhere is a remarkable talent. I just don't get to see it very often. But it's not the same feeling I have with actors such a Cruise, who never once showed a spark of brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 8005/05/2013

DiCaprio isn't bad, and I wouldn't say he "ruins" films, however I've never found him to be more than sufficient. A movie could be made better with someone else, but he delivers the bare minimum.

by Anonymousreply 8105/05/2013

[R75] I actually like him in Django unchained also is not bloated in it, wrinkled yes but not bloated.

by Anonymousreply 8205/05/2013

R78 it just kills you that Leo was and is a greater success than you'll ever amount to no matter how much you try. He'll continue to make movies whilst you are left with nothing but gay internet forums to complain about another's success.

by Anonymousreply 8305/05/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8405/05/2013

R83 I couldn't get a flying fig about DiCaprios success, as I hardly watch his movies anyway. I had to suffer through a couple of DVD with him in the lead and he is just completely boring as an actor. He indeed has very limited talent. He must have been good at kissing HW butt though otherwise I have no clue why this guy is the success he is.

by Anonymousreply 8505/05/2013

I agree OP. He ruined The Aviator, it was like watching a little boy play dress up in a grown man's clothes.

by Anonymousreply 8605/06/2013

Was Leo really worse than Jamie Foxx's note perfect but soulless Stars in Their Eyes Ray Charles recreation? Every biopic cliche in the book.

That's among the least deserved wins of the 00s. The double nomination was more than enough for him.

by Anonymousreply 8705/06/2013

Finally got around to watching Django. I'm not the biggest Leo fan, but I thought he was pitch perfect in this one. Maybe he was always meant to play the villain.

by Anonymousreply 8805/06/2013

For a very brief moment, it must be so ego gratifying to come on here and anonymously shoot down the highly gifted and successful. You people are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 8905/06/2013

[quote]For his early performance in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE alone, I have always felt an expectant patience with Di Caprio, knowing that inside there somewhere is a remarkable talent. I just don't get to see it very often.

That's how I feel too, R80.

by Anonymousreply 9005/06/2013

Hi Leo @ r89

by Anonymousreply 9105/06/2013

I stay away from his films. Not sure when it started but once I see him, I avoid.

by Anonymousreply 9205/06/2013

R92 Same here.

by Anonymousreply 9305/06/2013

There's a week to go - and STILL no reviews of "The Great Gatsby"?

I'm getting a whiff of "Eau De Stinker" about this one...

(Though that will be due to Luhr[id]man, 3-D and Jay-Z rather than Leo, I think)

by Anonymousreply 9405/06/2013

He's done well for himself. J. Edgar was the only film I couldn't stand him in. I agree he was wonderful in Gilbert Grape.

by Anonymousreply 9505/06/2013

I like his work. Guess I am the DL exception for Aviator. Thought Leo even made Howard likable, definitely felt empathy for the guy through Leo's portrayal.

However, Unchained I despised. Too one note and cliched for my tastes.

Favorite Leo: Grape, Departed, Quick, Catch Me, Aviator, Gangs.

Boring: Titanic, Boys Life, Romeo

Total crap: Unchained, Diamond, Road

by Anonymousreply 9605/06/2013

I went to Leo's IMDb page - and realised that I have never even seen ANY of his films.

Made me realise that I used to go to the cinema 4 to 6 times a week. Now, I've been once in...when did "Wolfman" come out???

I've also never seen a 3-D movie.

by Anonymousreply 9705/06/2013

[quote]There's a week to go - and STILL no reviews of "The Great Gatsby"?

The embargo is lifted today so there should be reviews coming out any time now.

If the embargo extended through Wednesday then you would know the movie is a major bomb. Otherwise this is standard operating procedure.

by Anonymousreply 9805/06/2013

Isn't its delayed release evidence that it's already thought of as a bomb?

by Anonymousreply 9905/06/2013

"The Great Gatsby" lookslike a horrible redo of "Bugsy Malone", what with Tobey and Leo looking like teens in 20's period clothing.

by Anonymousreply 10005/06/2013

Ha, it kind of does resemble BUGSY MALONE, R100. the other problem with DiCaprio for me is he's so humorless. I can't imagine him delivering a funny line or doing a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 10105/06/2013

[quote]I thought this guy was supposed to be taking a break, but he's signed on for ANOTHER movie.

Am I the only one tired of his back-to-back-to-back movies? It's like he never goes away. By the time that dumb Wolf of Wall Street comes out, he will have had 3 movies released within a 12 month period.

Enough already!

by Anonymousreply 10206/28/2013

He's a lousy actor, his fat ugly mug laboring constipatedly over every line. Everything is such hard work and "craft" for him, and does it ever show.

by Anonymousreply 10306/28/2013

Thank you R103! I thought I was the only one sick of him and thinks he's overrated. He seems to be addicted to the spotlight. And he is not good looking at all!

by Anonymousreply 10406/28/2013

I forgive him for anything else he does because of his work in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE.

The same way I forgive Whoopi Goldberg everything she's done - and it has been hideous - because of COLOR PURPLE.

by Anonymousreply 10506/28/2013

Competely agree with R24 and R36.

by Anonymousreply 10606/29/2013

Leo sucks big time! I hate that Titanic boy and his fat English cow co-star. Tom Cruise and Johnny Depp are better actors and their movies are worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 10710/07/2013

Great in revolutionary road.

by Anonymousreply 10804/03/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!